Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I know losing is fun but...  (Read 1234 times)

Dishmab

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Man
    • View Profile
I know losing is fun but...
« on: April 10, 2020, 04:24:24 pm »

I really like playing dwarf fortress but i am building really neat forts and designing stuff that i like. i try to keep my dwarves happy as best i can with alcohol and nice meals and clothes, cheeses etc. so im building things like traps and moving water but while im maintaining the fort my dwarves go into depressive fits becoming drawn and haggard. its really disappointing when this happens because it seems irreversible. i really dont like having to expell dwarves that have worked in my fort for years and making artifacts and children. i dont want them to just die either. i can understand the occasional case of insanity but the rate at which im seeing drawn and haggard dwarves is just not right. i should be able to satisfy these dwarves through some kind of measure. i would love to make a long lasting fort, seeing dwarves live old and die and children grow old. i would die to see some mechanics for addressing unnhappy dwarves. could be any number of ways of satisfying stressed dwarves without making the game less fun.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I know losing is fun but...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:34:23 pm »

It's a known issue that's intended to be addressed in the relatively near future (in or before the Premium release, which Toady aims to release before the end of the year). Threetoe has started a thread on the topic to get input, and is presumably working on processing the feedback.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 04:55:08 pm »

This might help. I tried it back in 44.12 and it seemed to work. Don't go extreme with it, but if you tweak it a bit this could hold you over until the new release without getting discouraged. Although, 47.04 is already a lot better than 44.12 was for the stress issues.

I don't know who posted it because apparently their account was [deleted] and I hope it's not a "no-no" posting this here!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:57:25 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

AllergicToMyself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 05:37:35 pm »

The much better solution, that doesn't require waiting an unknown amount of time for a fix, or editing raws, is simply to play fortress mode in the sublime version 34.11 and pretend the utterly broken stress and needs systems never ruined the game. It's been working fantastically for me. I keep the new versions around for adventure mode only (which is getting pretty damn good, just so I don't sound like an ingrate).

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 08:24:07 pm »

Using this, I ran a fortress (today) for 3+ years, under very stressful conditions.  At the 3 year mark, all the dwarves in play were at -100k stress, according to Dwarf Therapist.
All the human visitors/petition-residents died of depression/melancholy/etc under the same conditions, in the same time frame.
Conditions were: exposure to ghosts, exposure to death/dead bodies, exposure to the decay of friends, no amenities, living in the rain, living outside, no beds, no mugs, sleeping in the dirt.  No alcohol.  One kind of food.  No temple.  The worst typical conditions, yet, they are perfectly fine, with respect to stress.
Might be worth trying, if you're inclined.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 03:49:49 am »

Version 0.47.04 is definitely an improvement, and I find it playable, but watch out for bugs in the stress system (for example, Dwarves don't yet know which temple is for which god, so even though they are miserable from not praying to god X, they spend all their time worshiping god Y).

My recommendation: just install DFHack and use the in-game labor manager to track stress and give the unhappy dwarves a holiday from work. Also, just accept that some Dwarves have inevitable depression as a personality trait and prepare an insane asylum or expel the unpleasables.

Also, it helps to have specific goals for your fortresses, so instead of trying to keep one going for 100 years, retire and build new forts as you reach milestones. You can use Adventure Mode to ferry stuff from one fortress to another.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 06:00:53 am »

The much better solution, that doesn't require waiting an unknown amount of time for a fix, or editing raws, is simply to play fortress mode in the sublime version 34.11 and pretend the utterly broken stress and needs systems never ruined the game. It's been working fantastically for me. I keep the new versions around for adventure mode only (which is getting pretty damn good, just so I don't sound like an ingrate).
Lmao no I get it, 34.11 is a seriously fine edition of regular insanity and productivity