Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to manage long distance commutes in a fortress?  (Read 2166 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to manage long distance commutes in a fortress?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 04:15:04 am »

Dwarfiest of them all, would be to build automatic magma cannon and shoot magma over water. Where it splashes down it will create obsidian. eventually all water tiles will turn obsidian with some magma on top. :D

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 05:31:25 am »

Lowered bridges can replace tracks in a pinch. That's a third of the material cost. However, not sure how well bridges work with rollers and track stops. You might need to sometimes put little 1-tile tracks between two bridges with a track stop or roller.

Plain rollers aren't gonna get your cart very far on ground without tracks or bridges.

I have a track with rollers already, see below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The issue is, I know how to make it so that the Dwarves fill-up the minecart and then push it over the roller that automatically shoots it east and dump its contents into a stockpile then bounce back off another roller. What I don't know how to do is stop the minecart after it returns instead of bouncing back and forth between the two rollers indefinitely.

Or to put it another way, how do I set this up such that the cart goes north from the T junction on the return trip:
S

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 07:37:12 am »

I would have a completely separate route for the return trip. However, I believe you can use door/raising drawbridges hooked up to pressure plates to achieve that (note that I've never tried myself). When the cart is sent east it passes over a pressure plate that lowers the bridge/opens the door, letting the cart through. In the westward direction the door/bridge blocks the passage. If the tracks are made in the N<->E direction, i.e. a turn, the cart should be steered off in the northern direction. In the initial eastern direction, the lack of tracks after the door/bridge won't cause any issues other than slightly higher friction.

Something I haven't tried, but which might work depending on how on/off works, is to have a pressure plate the the east of the western rollers that temporarily disconnects the power from the roller. It would do nothing when traveling east, but if the power remain cut during the time the rollers are passes in the western direction it might allow you to reach the track stop. I don't believe I've heard of anyone using that method, though, and it might be because it doesn't work...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 03:06:24 pm »

Your forts have weird architecture. To get in a thirst loop described, average dwarf would need to walk at least 22000 / 10 / 2 = 1100 tiles. For contrast, 1×16 is only 768 tiles.

That's still a lot of tiles, so I'd also make your civilians "recruits" so they can carry at least some of their own booze, and maybe some food.

Anyway, regarding booze and minecarts - track stops don't seem to work, but unloading manually (give to order) seems to work. Booze inside minecarts can't be drunk, but raw food in cart can be eaten, so you can just have food cart moved along build side.

For acceleration, a minecart ridden/pushed on flat track can move 200ish tiles before coming to complete stop I guess? So it's mostly not necessary. Heck, you can ride a minecart over rough floor even with route stops every dozen tiles. If acceleration was necessary, I'd use two opposing T-shaped track/ramps for bidirectional acceleration.

For that picture, there's fair few options. I think roller toggling like PatrikLundell describes would be ideal (and I've seen people using that method - but it's not usually used due extra costs; you might even need to rebuild your powertrain here if windmill sits directly on top of that gear assembly), but you could also use a cart jump over the roller with rough floor+hole combination, or a L-shaped corner turn that takes it past a roller on return trip.

Quote from: wiki
This means, for example, that the following tracks, when a (non-guided) cart travels from West-to-East, are functionally identical in effect:
A════════════B            A╬║╚╔╣╩╦╠╥╨╞╡B

^ That means you can replace T-junction with L-corner turn.

Additionally, if you're just dumping goods and returning, there's the ?-shaped turns:

╔╗
╚╚═════
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:09:50 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 06:06:44 pm »

Yeah, I should use minecarts to deliver goods. I already installed minecart track to see if I could launch dwarves off the map when it's finished, but why await to use them  :D

you could simply have a "ride" command at one end and a "push" command at the other. Boom, dwarf commuting system.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 03:38:58 am »

Quote from: wiki
This means, for example, that the following tracks, when a (non-guided) cart travels from West-to-East, are functionally identical in effect:
A════════════B            A╬║╚╔╣╩╦╠╥╨╞╡B

^ That means you can replace T-junction with L-corner turn.

Additionally, if you're just dumping goods and returning, there's the ?-shaped turns:

╔╗
╚╚═════

Thanks, that gives me a bunch of ideas. I think I just need to put one of those ?-turns on each end with a roller and a stop. I'll try to set that up next time I play.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.
Pages: 1 [2]