Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)  (Read 127115 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2020, 07:49:14 pm »

When does it crash? On startup?
Yes, it crashes on startup
Weird. Does it happen without dfplex? Is there anything at the bottom of stderr.log?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2020, 12:49:58 am »

Really excited to be playing but cannot seem to get it to work :(

Am on Debian 10, creating a fresh install of DF 0.44.12 alongside DFhack and all I get is:
Code: [Select]
Can't load plugin dfplex
Cannot enable plugin: dfplex

dfplex does not show up when I use `enable` on it's own, cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on. I've checked the directory structure three times over to make sure each file is there but nothing is missing...
Any sort of advice here or what I should provide to make debugging easier?

Did you download the wrong binary? There are 32 and 64 bit options. I have seen this occur when the wrong architecture is used. Please double-check that df, dfhack, and dfplex all match (32 or 64 bit).

vallode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2020, 04:50:36 am »

Did you download the wrong binary? There are 32 and 64 bit options. I have seen this occur when the wrong architecture is used. Please double-check that df, dfhack, and dfplex all match (32 or 64 bit).

I just gave it a try again downloading the linux64 Dfplex, dfhack for linux 64 GCC 4.8, and df 44_12 for linux 64 (double checked they are all the same architecture).

Steps I took in installation are:
  • `tar xjf df_44_12_linux.tar.bz2` to unpack dwarf fortress
  • Ran dwarf fortress to check it's working fine. (I have to delete libstdc++ from the local libs because it seems like it was compiled with a different version to mine)
  • `tar xjf `dfhack-0.44.12-r3-Linux-64-gcc-4.8.tar.bz2` inside the df_linux folder to unpack dfhack
  • I run DFhack to check it all works (it gives me a warning about dfhack.init being missing)
  • I extract `dfplex-v0.1-linux64.zip` inside the df_linux folder overwriting any collisions
  • I run ./dfhack to check everything works... `Can't load plugin dfplex`

The dfhack.init only has one line, everything seems to be in it's place. No clue as to what might be causing it!
I've also tried it with a LazyNewbPack install, as well as trying the other DFhack compile ( gcc 7 not 4.8 )

Hope this helps narrow it down at all (might be doin something really stupid along the steps!)

Edit: Just in case it matters at all during runtime, I also installed libboost to no avail. Same message occurs.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:58:02 am by vallode »

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2020, 02:12:09 pm »

I just gave it a try again downloading the linux64 Dfplex, dfhack for linux 64 GCC 4.8, and df 44_12 for linux 64 (double checked they are all the same architecture).

Steps I took in installation are:
  • `tar xjf df_44_12_linux.tar.bz2` to unpack dwarf fortress
  • Ran dwarf fortress to check it's working fine. (I have to delete libstdc++ from the local libs because it seems like it was compiled with a different version to mine)
  • `tar xjf `dfhack-0.44.12-r3-Linux-64-gcc-4.8.tar.bz2` inside the df_linux folder to unpack dfhack
  • I run DFhack to check it all works (it gives me a warning about dfhack.init being missing)
  • I extract `dfplex-v0.1-linux64.zip` inside the df_linux folder overwriting any collisions
  • I run ./dfhack to check everything works... `Can't load plugin dfplex`

The dfhack.init only has one line, everything seems to be in it's place. No clue as to what might be causing it!
I've also tried it with a LazyNewbPack install, as well as trying the other DFhack compile ( gcc 7 not 4.8 )

Hope this helps narrow it down at all (might be doin something really stupid along the steps!)

Edit: Just in case it matters at all during runtime, I also installed libboost to no avail. Same message occurs.

There is likely some reason that dlopen is failing. Check the stdout and stderr log (they are saved to a file) and try running ldd on dfplex.plug.so to see if there are any missing dependencies (other than the dfhack dependency, which ought to be loaded already when that plugin is loaded).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:09:16 pm by white-rabbit »

flbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2020, 04:25:22 pm »

Weird. Does it happen without dfplex? Is there anything at the bottom of stderr.log?
It does not happen without dfplex, and this is stderr.log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:27:35 pm by flbr »
flbr was
hit by the what the fuck-truck
It was very effective!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2020, 04:58:54 pm »

Dwarfplex failed to open config file, skipping.

This line might be relevant, although I'm not sure why it would only sometimes fail. Do you have a config file in the correct spot?

Also, to be clear, is this log file from when DF crashed? (That's what I was looking for, although maybe I wasn't clear about that.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

flbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2020, 05:01:15 pm »

It is the log from when it crashed, and as far as I can tell config.js (which I assume is the config file it's talking about) is in the correct place:
Code: [Select]
df\hack\www\config.js
[edit]
The log shows the same error when it does succeed, so it probably is in the wrong place...
That's weird though, because it doesn't seem like it should be anywhere else

[edit 2]
Ah, the dfplex.txt file is described as the config file, so maybe it's supposed to be somewhere else? It's currently in data\init
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:12:14 pm by flbr »
flbr was
It was very effective!

vallode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2020, 03:42:16 pm »

There is likely some reason that dlopen is failing. Check the stdout and stderr log (they are saved to a file) and try running ldd on dfplex.plug.so to see if there are any missing dependencies (other than the dfhack dependency, which ought to be loaded already when that plugin is loaded).

Thanks for being so responsive! `ldd` was super useful, turns out that I had installed libboost 1.67! Once I got the right version installed (All I needed was libboost-dev and libboost-system-dev) it seems to work! Phew!

Hopefully having this here helps someone else out haha!

Off to play some co-op :)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2020, 09:41:10 pm »

Hmm. Telus blocks port forwarding if you don't have a business package. AKA residential packages don't get to host this. Any way(s) for another method to host this over internet? I doubt you'd be able to pay for a dedicated matchmaking server, but some way to be able to connect to people online without having to open ports would be nice. Perhaps it could use some sort of API to use discord or some other app as a channel to transmit; though, with my limited knowledge, probably not discord, or steam, or twitch, as those need special licences or something.

Got to test it out with someone else hosting, so I can say it's quite fun, and I like it. Just wish I could host, as I made a REALLY good world.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2020, 11:15:07 pm »

Hmm. Telus blocks port forwarding if you don't have a business package. AKA residential packages don't get to host this. Any way(s) for another method to host this over internet? I doubt you'd be able to pay for a dedicated matchmaking server, but some way to be able to connect to people online without having to open ports would be nice.

Yeah, that's telus for you :/ I use a different ISP, they have no problems with port forwarding. Many residentials have no problem.

I can try to set up NAT punchthrough. It's an ordeal though, and would take a while. Perhaps there's a way to achieve this with WebRTC -- I don't have a sufficiently good understanding to say how feasible this is. If anybody has some experience in this regard, help would be appreciated!

I'm not sure a change to dfplex is necessary though -- I believe there are utilities which do NAT hole-punching already, and can be used as an intermediate layer (i.e. dfplex doesn't need to be aware of it). You may also have success with a VPN or a Virtual LAN program. These are all utilities to circumnavigate a restrictive NAT and/or ISP. (10+ years ago I found Hamachi did this well, but I have heard it's gone downhill.)

In the meantime, if you join the Dwarf Fortress Discord server, Hexa has set up a nice server. Of course, it's not the same as self-hosting, but perhaps it will help you bide the time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:19:25 am by white-rabbit »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2020, 06:29:04 am »

Thanks. Given your advice, I'm going to see if I can get an intermediate program working. Hamachi or Tunngle or something.

Edit: Also, this is a video that exists now, showcasing this fantastic little utility. Like Blindirl says in his video, thanks to Krutonium for being a host for us. Because both of us were Telus :P
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:37:52 am by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2020, 08:08:23 am »

Suggestion: somebody start a community fort. The more the better :D . The rules prob need to be worked out (e.g. you only get one z level or sth) but that would be interesting to see.

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2020, 12:48:22 pm »

Thanks. Given your advice, I'm going to see if I can get an intermediate program working. Hamachi or Tunngle or something.

Edit: Also, this is a video that exists now, showcasing this fantastic little utility. Like Blindirl says in his video, thanks to Krutonium for being a host for us. Because both of us were Telus :P

Awesome, thanks for linking the video! I see someone in the comments mentioned Armok Web Services, which I was not aware of. Has anyone tried this? Does it really support multiplayer as it claims to?

Suggestion: somebody start a community fort. The more the better :D . The rules prob need to be worked out (e.g. you only get one z level or sth) but that would be interesting to see.

ooohh one z-level each would be so hilarious! This must be done :D I should totally add some callbacks and lua bindings or something so people can write scripts that enforce this sort of stuff. I think this could be achieved in code by forcing the cursor z to be a particular value -- that way people can still look at other layers, but can only edit their own. Amazing. If someone else actually organizes such a succession game, I can try implementing it.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2020, 03:59:03 pm »

Awesome, thanks for linking the video! I see someone in the comments mentioned Armok Web Services, which I was not aware of. Has anyone tried this? Does it really support multiplayer as it claims to?
No problem. I was the player on the bottom screen, so my footage was edited into the video, which I feel is awesome.

I have not heard of AWS before, but looking at their attempt on Github, it looks incomplete? Like it never compiled? If someone does know if it ever worked, I would like to know too.

ooohh one z-level each would be so hilarious! This must be done :D I should totally add some callbacks and lua bindings or something so people can write scripts that enforce this sort of stuff. I think this could be achieved in code by forcing the cursor z to be a particular value -- that way people can still look at other layers, but can only edit their own. Amazing. If someone else actually organizes such a succession game, I can try implementing it.
Or, you are restricted to Z levels (n*x)+y, where x is the number of players and y is your player number; so with two players you can use every other layer, and your coplayer can use the opposites. With three players, there are two layers you are forbidden from between each layer you can use. Etcetera.

Nah, doesn't really sound fun any more. Entertaining the idea of restricting access to layers was fun for about 15 minutes, but...
The Cyan Menace

flbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2020, 05:31:02 pm »

Oh hey flabort!

I think it would be fun to assign four players each 1/4 of the total dwarves once you get to a certain number, and then have each player set up a base in each corner. They couldn't fight against each other, but they could see how long each bastion lasts!
flbr was
It was very effective!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13