Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Hard Mode  (Read 2602 times)

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: Hard Mode
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

Inspired by a certain conversation, I became intrigued as to how difficult I could possibly make the game, assuming the only goal is survival.  Here's the succinct rules I settled on:

No foodmaking.
No traps.
Melee only.
Final destination.

That is, no farming, hunting, fishing or plant gathering.  Caravans are my first and only food and booze source.  No traps, cage traps or otherwise.  No crossbows, siege engines, or anything similar.  I found a 2x2 location in a goblin area (ensures early sieges?  Yer goddamn right!) and made a huge 9x9 tunnel to my main rooms.  No bridges, no doors, no running.  I will meet the goblins head-on, or die trying.

To make things bearable for myself, the area is rich in chalk with a magma pool and, it turns out, iron.  Also, I toned down arrow and bolt damage to 1/10 of its default value   - this setup is already stupid, I don't need to make it crazy.  To compensate I removed the [BABYSNATCHER] tag from the goblin civ.  Every goblin "caravan" will be a full-on siege.

Play by play:

Year 1: Fairly uneventful.  No running water, so I quickly dig reservoirs to drain the surrounding ponds - just in time too, they started evaporating at the end of spring.  

Six of my starters were assigned productive jobs, and the last given a set of steel plate and hunting so he'd hold onto it.  Of course, he up and gets mauled by a cougar while I'm not looking.  Yellow lower body, brown lower spine.  Ouch.

Food is holding out well.  After emptying the dwarf caravan, I've stored ~300 booze and ~200 prepared food.

Spring, Year 2: Spring comes, along with 17(!) migrants.  I assign most to pump ahrn for eventual military use, and fill out my moneymaking schemes with the rest.

A month later - fucking goblin siege!  Twenty lashers led by a crossbowman!  And my single suit of armor is ON THE GODDAMN WOUNDED GUY!  Shit!  I recruit all my pumpers to the military, and set them to lie in wait in the stairwell.  Half run to grab random pieces of semi-armor, and half the rest are asleep or eating.  Alright!

Shit!  They can shoot through the goddamn stairwell!  There goes that plan.  You, the one guy who showed up to my squad station orders!  Charge!

So, yeah.  A mass recruitment later and the gobbos are barely chased off.  I'm left with just fifteen dwarves, two yellow wounded (counting the fucker still wearing the steel plate).  Of my original seven a miner, my trader, and the wounded guy are the only survivors.  I've lost all my war dogs, though Armok willing their puppies will carry on their memory.

Summer, Year 2: Eight guys just arrived.  Things are looking up.  The human caravan never arrived, I guess the siege went into summer and scared them off.

I decided to field promote two newbies into the military, and kitted them out with plate.  I'm risking training injuries, but having well-equipped guards is worth it.

A fey mood gave me my first artifact and legendary stoneworker.  Looks like I'm going swordsies with obsidian.

Autumn, Year 2: I breached the magma pool and began rewalling to scare off fire imps.  There's some mineable obsidian here - excellent.

The dwarven caravan arrived with over a thousand meat and fish.  Hot damn.  Some booze too - current stocks are 1200 food, 500 drink.  I paid for it all with narrow giant cave spider lacy underthings.  Note to self: when buying meat, ask for everything but purring maggots, cave crocodiles and giant anything.  Too expensive.

Wounded guy got up!  Prayse Jaysis fer this great mirahcle!  More importantly, he took off his armor.  Finally!  Another pumper gets it, current military 3 wrasslin' recruits, 8-12 pumpers.  Hard to estimate as I didn't keep track and they aren't all official pumpers yet.  Wounded guy gets a mining pick instead.

It's not fair to just call him wounded guy.  After all, he's been through a lot.  His new name is "'Welfare' Zimkelonul, Professional Cripple."

And to top off an already excellent season, more migrants!  Current pop: 31.  I'm gonna need more pumps.

Spring, Year 3:

On ya'll's advice and my standard paranoia, I made a small winding tunnel in my entrance that's never more than one square long.  I'm betting I can stack more guys at the end than will wander through at once.

Word must have got around, because the goblins came!  The fight:

In my corner, eight wrestlers, kitted out in full steel plate and wielding exceptional or masterwork obsidian swords.

In theirs:
12 Goblin Macemen
8 Goblin Hammermen
6 Goblin Bowmen
1 Goblin Macelord
1 Gob Spearmaster
1 Gob Crossbowman
...and a partridge in a friggin' pear tree.

First casualty: my legendary stonemaster. Shit.  Well, he made a good couple dozen awesome swords, proving his worth many times over.  Rest in peace, whatever your name was.

The spearmaster arrives first, and just plows through my armored squad.  No contest.  He finally gets stabbed by one of the last surviving members.  "Bottleneck?"  Feh!  It just concentrated the victims for him!

My backup pumpers engage his hammermen.  When there's only two left of them, I issue a general recruitment call in a last-ditch attempt to swarm them and scare them off, which eventually succeeds.

I'm down to eight guys.  Three are red-wounded, two are yellow.  I'm left with a wrestler, a carpenter and a peasant.  If I don't get some migrants toot sweet, I'm screwed harder than a japanese schoolgirl in a tentacle manga.

The peasant keeps trying to set a meeting with my miner/mayor, who's got a yellow and nowhere to rest.  So the meeting starts, then he blacks out and it cancels.  Eventually my legendary miner with a pick is going to tantrum, and when he does the peasant will be right there.  Boy's got the stupid, I can tell you that much.

My armorer went crazy, muttering about "drums in the deep."  My miner goes dehydrated and miserable.  My woodworker finally finishes carting corpses and makes a bed for the miner.  Things are looking u-

And my wrestler, the red wounded one, goes berserk.  Yes, he's still wearing steel plate - taking it off wasn't the highest priority.  Yes, he's still holding a masterwork obsidian short sword - yeah, that one's my fault.  He scythes his way through my wounded sparing only the miner, who blessedly hadn't been moved yet and is still dying of thirst down a corridor.  So he does.

-Withered-
Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

Next time: reclaim!

Things I've Learned (will be updated continuously)

• If you make sure to buy out each caravan, food can be easily come by.  My first attempt, I spent too many starting points stocking up on food.  A little more booze, 70ish food, and the rest put in dogs would have helped more.
  • Having your fighting area separated from the rest of your fort by a shaft of sunlight and "Dwarves stay inside" will not stop civvies from rushing in to loot corpses and dying.  Manually forbidding everything that falls is still the best way.
  • Corridors suck.  They put your guys on an even footing with theirs, and there's many more of them.  If the gobbos are allowed to spread out a bit, that's more sites of engagement for your troops.
  • Swarm.  Goblins stagger their entrance.  You don't have to.  The more of your guys occupy a single area at once, the better your odds.  It doesn't matter if they're fresh recruits or even civs just called up, they'll help.
  • Don't bother with pumps.  Your guys need war training ASAP.  A few sparring injuries are acceptable losses - bed them outside to spread out the gobs.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: InquisitiveIdiot ]

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Hard Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:24:00 am »

This seems... masochistic.
I approve.

Baney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.efrgames.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:54:00 am »

Begs the Question, Will an Armoured Dwarf disrobe for bed if an Armour Stand exists?

Shouldn't they do this anyway?

Onul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:00:00 am »

^ They should, but do not as of yet, afaik.

Also everything about this idea is awesome.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:45:00 am »

Brilliant!  This is quite entertaining.  Nothing like a little hopelessness to liven the place up a bit.

Perhaps this could eventually get moved to the story section?  I'm sure you'd get readers, this is quite a fun yarn.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

you could dump his plate mail while he is injured ... thats how i toke once back an axe ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

Turning off babysnachers causes more sieges. You, my friend, are toast.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:36:00 am »

this is not hard mode, this is THE DWARVES MUST DIE mode
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:22:00 am »

only thing that is missing is the skeletal elephants and carp ^^
een failing lately?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

Bah. All things die eventualy!

Can you dig out a blindsiding area by the stairs? Y'know...

code:

XXX
...  ...  ...

Would probably help you get the drop on the gobbies. And you'll probably need all the drop you can get.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

Woah Jesus. Sounds like quite the story, I wish you good luck!

Also, a suggestion: Make a room next to your entrance that you can fill with melee soldiers, so when the gobbos come you can open the door as they pass by: that way the can't shoot at you. Also, make narrow (1-2 wide) winding corridors for your gobbos to run through. It slows them down and it keeps their long-ranged guys close to your guys.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Stopple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:26:30 pm »

this was a fun read

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 06:47:26 pm »

I lol'd.
Shoes...

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 06:56:26 pm »

Someone should attempt that again...
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 11:57:03 am »

One of the biggest differences I found to make it harder is never to designate rooms a dining room. This stops the everyone being ecstatic thing nicely (or at least reduces it a lot)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: [1] 2