Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: All Dwarves in Dwarf Fortress have to go crazy and die! Everyone must die!  (Read 13216 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found an issue and I need advice.
My save is using [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:25:50] in creature_standard.txt
I have been told stress is not growing when cap is set to 50.
However one of my "just" stressed Dwarves, became haggard and "withdraw from society".
Am I missing something with how this stress option works?

The red arrow forest still grows here. Should I go now for 0:0:0 and keep it that way until the fix is found?

Is stress somehow being applied retroactively, which is actually ignoring and entirely avoiding this stress setting?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found an issue and I need advice.
My save is using [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:25:50] in creature_standard.txt
I have been told stress is not growing when cap is set to 50.
However one of my "just" stressed Dwarves, became haggard and "withdraw from society".
Am I missing something with how this stress option works?

The red arrow forest still grows here. Should I go now for 0:0:0 and keep it that way until the fix is found?

Is stress somehow being applied retroactively, which is actually ignoring and entirely avoiding this stress setting?
Yes. You are missing the fact that you have been lied to, are ignoring advice in this thread and are ignoring the wiki which is correct in saying stress vulnerability 0:0:0 is for no stress and anything else is "less stress than vanilla". Haggard dwarves are part of the game. If you have dwarves who are not immune to stress they will get stressed.

There is no "fix" to be found. Your dwarves are not stress immune. You didn't follow the wiki which clearly says to set stress to 0:0:0 for stress immunity and therefore you are correctly gaining stress.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:00:00 am by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info

I have to admit I am also not really sure that changing the raws in the save will do anything for dwarves that have already been generated by the game. The raws are a blueprint for new generated  creatures, aren't they?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks Shonai_Dweller!
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0] finally stopped the red arrow forest. I just had to put into suicide squad 5 more Dwarves. 6th got away, as was being stress resistant and got himself relaxed on his own.

Also a puzzle. 10 Dwarven doctors with all medical skills on, wrecks havoc on guildhall requisitions. I have 10 engineers too with all engineering jobs enabled. Same issue. If I can set a Dwarf with all jobs from his profession, then why guildhall for all professions is not enough for all its jobs? I have 9 miners with mining and engraving jobs set on... Why I can't set for them miner/engraver guildhall? Even with 0:0:0 Dwarves are being hit with dejections and job breaks, though no red arrows. With stress on, am I constantly have to kill all medical Dwarves, because this guildhall auto-setup schizophrenia?

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guildhalls help dwarves make friends, train skills and give them a good feeling when you first set it up.
If you do not want stressed dwarves, the very least you could do is build guildhalls. A seven by seven room with some  nice engravings will do. Add some encrusted furniture if your engravers are not up ro skill yet.

Only when there is ten or more workers with the same profession they can petition (but not always will).

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Urist9876
I know, if you fail to give Dwarves their Guildhalls, you get whole forest of red arrows. This is about playing 20+ years longer and still getting red arrows despite 20 types of drinks, high value clean and smooth fortress with all conveniences including library with 2 books in it to read.

@Shonai_Dweller
I played for entire year with setting [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0] in creature_standard.txt
I was under impression this setting removes stressed Dwarves from Dwarf Fortress.
What was my surprise, when I saw this red arrow.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15049

HELP STOP THE RED ARROW CANCER PLEASE! SOMEBODY! AAA!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you look at her moodlets:
1. She is a nervous wreck, after being caught in the rain in 29.
2. She can handle stress, less extreme after being caught in the rain in 23.

WTF!
Can Dwarf have two contradicting themselves settings for stress, just like that?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you look at her moodlets:
1. She is a nervous wreck, after being caught in the rain in 29.
2. She can handle stress, less extreme after being caught in the rain in 23.

WTF!
Can Dwarf have two contradicting themselves settings for stress, just like that?
Rain made her more nervous (anxiety prone, different trait) and stressed. "Can handle stress" being less than "completely immune to stress". So now she's no longer 0:0:0.

Damn.

--edit
What are you doing to your dwarves, by the way? A red arrow cancer in a fortress full of fairly stress resistent dwarves indicates that you might be doing something wrong? What are they stressed about? I'd say you probably have plenty time to fix whatever it is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:20:39 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

--edit
What are you doing to your dwarves, by the way? A red arrow cancer in a fortress full of fairly stress resistent dwarves indicates that you might be doing something wrong? What are they stressed about? I'd say you probably have plenty time to fix whatever it is.

As you see the only thing on the picture is rain and angry argument in discussion.

This is 0.40.24 embark, which I play on 0.47.04. This is very first embark of mine.
1. Library. It took me some tweaking in raws, but I got slurry, paper sheets, quires and bookcases in. My scholars wrote already 1 book and it got 1 copy too. I have dining room in this location too.
2. Tavern. I have dining room in this location. Also I have 5x5 barracks in this tavern, so all Dwarves trained their observation skill now to legendary.
3. Temple has 4 steel statues of master quality and that's it.
4. I have all guildhalls requested and furnished, but the lone bone doctors' one.
5. I have 18 types of plant alcohol plus mead, but harvesting is limited only to growers.
6. There is still about 10k stones to be hauled to fortress from hill I leveled down, but I have wheelbarrows on this assignment.
7. Fortress is a big granit bunker on side of a hill with one main entrance and second through dungeons, but I never get invasions, because my first map didn't had any bad civilizations.
8. In 2 caves are parked 2 forgotten beasts, whom I didn't deal with yet, as I plan a public entrance outside of fortress for caverns' access.

So far I see, it is rain. Dwarves hauling rocks gets rained upon and it derails them.

I can upload the save to File Depot, if you want to check out this stressed Dwarf on picture.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

I suspect the 0:0:0 change will not affect existing dwarves, and only newly-generated ones.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I disabled all hauling on the Dwarf. I got it focused by performing 2 armor making jobs and,,, drafting into military, stationing into temple, because she was stuck socializing in tavern, despite all social needs for focus fixed.

Month later stress went away. I guess this is all temporary thing on this Dwarf.

Still, fixing focus made stress go away. Focus is impacting how fast stress goes away. Dwarves are really really bad at managing their temple/tavern/library own needs. Very very bad. It seems the location Dwarf somehow ends in, when out of job, glues them to that location, despite all needs there satisfied and in other locations needs are not satisfied.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I disabled all hauling on the Dwarf. I got it focused by performing 2 armor making jobs and,,, drafting into military, stationing into temple, because she was stuck socializing in tavern, despite all social needs for focus fixed.

Month later stress went away. I guess this is all temporary thing on this Dwarf.

Still, fixing focus made stress go away. Focus is impacting how fast stress goes away. Dwarves are really really bad at managing their temple/tavern/library own needs. Very very bad. It seems the location Dwarf somehow ends in, when out of job, glues them to that location, despite all needs there satisfied and in other locations needs are not satisfied.
She most likely got better from being able to talk with her friends and enjoy the tavern. That's stress relieving regardless of the completely separate focus and needs system.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

She most likely got better from being able to talk with her friends and enjoy the tavern. That's stress relieving regardless of the completely separate focus and needs system.
It would be so, but I was like hawk on her. Moment she hit "socializing!" in purple i put her on squad stationed in temple. I had issues with broker earlier, who instead of trading was glued listening to a story. Drafting works best to break this enchantment. I made sure she got focused first. However, it is still possible that she talked stress out in meeting with mayor and then got stuck there in tavern again on "socializing!" in purple. She has no friends, only passing acquaintances and 2 deities, which she prays to. I disabled hauling stones on her. This should prevent her to get wet from every single rain. Suddenly with the 0:0:0 setting, the stress is manageable.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm currently in my third year: I've had red arrows appear and then dissipate. I've got nice rooms and a dining room, temples to all of the major gods, very busy crafthalls, nothing special; I know this thread was created a while ago, but all this criticism leveraged towards the game seems a little unwarranted in the current build?

Granted, I've had no major negative events like battles or sieges; but I've had dwarves out in snowstorms, in the rain, seeing kobold corpses. Nothing. I also actually enjoy the fact that dwarves have their own personalities and little niggles now. It's so immersive; and all my red arrows have been from those more susceptible to depression and stress, which is awesome!

So to any new players seeing this thread: the game is in a perfectly playable state!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:29:12 am by Levity »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

@Sarmation123: Yeah, I've noticed the idling in usable location → ignore other locations shortcut in previous game version as well, though haven't done multi-year tests in 47.04. There are many possible solutions:

- Dining hall in tavern, drinking in temple, ensuring all dwarves will be No Job in both. Downside is waterskins interfere with the idea.
- Checkerboard of tavern - full temple - full tavern. Tests shows all needs get satisfied over the years, but don't know if dances will work.
- Non-meeting location zones combined with non-location meeting zone, hoping they'll go satisfy their need if no job and need it. Haven't tested, but was previously reported in stress thread. You can also do similar stuff by painting bedrooms as general temples, relying on everyone sleeping, though that may be aesthetically undesirable.
- Regularly forcing all or problem dwarves into necessary location. Downside is micro needed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7