Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need help figuring why my mod is crashing (Answr: NO_EAT on some civs makes CTD)  (Read 4062 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I am trying to update my Long Night mod to the next version, and ever since I have done that the game has started crashing. It worked fine prior to the update so I don't know why it is doing this. However, I have (to the best of my ability) ruled out

-nested castes
-missing raws
-duplicate raws
-raw misspellings
-putting raws in the wrong order

by going through the files causing trouble. Speaking of, the files causing trouble are

creature_civilized_posthuman_eusocialite.txt
creature_civilized_posthuman_fext.txt
creature_civilized_posthuman_gigant.txt
creature_civilized_posthuman_technasura.txt
And the entity files
entity_posthuman_eusocialite.txt
entity_posthuman_fext.txt
entity_posthuman_gigant.txt
entity_posthuman_technasura.txt

What happens is the game CTDs quickly into worldgen, never lasting more than 100 years.

There are no messages in the errorlog. I even did the trick of saving the world before it crashed and exporting all the legends data because doing that sometimes reveals errors that just opening the world gen menu doesn't. I'm seriously at a loss. I've got no clue why those files would make the game crash.

This is the mod in its current updated state: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14900

Normally I think it is because of some mistake on my end but considering everything was working fine before I updated and now it isn't, I worry it is something that no amount of raw editing will fix. I would be very happy to be proven wrong, however.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:52:44 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Need help figuring why my mod is crashing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 09:37:03 pm »

Could just be a CTD from current versions new stuff (villain maps, etc) that and dark fortresses could be causing some issues, just a hunch?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 11:04:52 pm »

Every mod with a lot of civs is currently having crash problems. Have you tried running the mod with less civs?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 11:31:55 pm »

Every mod with a lot of civs is currently having crash problems. Have you tried running the mod with less civs?
How many civs is "a lot"? On average I mean.

-edit

So, I tried this, I ran all three "epilogue" worldgens. Each one crashed on "placing civilizations" and never even started generating history.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:45:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 11:43:30 pm »

I'm not sure. 5 seems to be fine, since that's the same as vanilla. It's unclear how it works though, and I haven't played the last couple patches.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:49:09 pm »

I'm not sure. 5 seems to be fine, since that's the same as vanilla. It's unclear how it works though, and I haven't played the last couple patches.
Oh, definitely not "all mods" then. I play with 19 (vanilla plus 14 additional) entities. 82 civs are placed in worldgen, plus whatever pops out of the circus during worldgen history.
Medium or large regions at 2-3 hundred years. No crashes.

Since it seems to be crashing on placing civs and not in actual history, I'd say it's another bug like the Natural_Skills problem. A tag which used to work and now doesn't. Rather than the usual "combination of certain historical events causing a crash" issue.

--edit
No wait, "create world now" manages to get into history(crashes anywhere between 5-25 years).

Did you add the new [MINING_UNDERWORLD_DISASTERS] to any civs?

--
Apparently not (at least not the ones you mention). I had thought maybe the civs that failed to get placed in Adv. worldgen were emerging and crashing during regular worldgen, but none have the EVIL tag that would require.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:25:02 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 12:09:53 am »

That's odd. I wonder what's changed.
My mods and forum games.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 03:02:24 am »

Yeah, as you guys can probably tell, this doesn't seem to be the result of one of my usual screw-ups, but something conflicting with the base game itself.

To clarify, if I remove the files i specifically listed as being a problem, the game runs fine, you can test this out. So I don't think it's the population number issue. What I'm hoping is that there is something in the raws of the problem files that causes the game to crash, but isn't a bug on my end. That is, the game doesn't like something I did which used to work. If I can figure out what that is, I can change it and make the crashes stop happening.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 04:00:53 am »

Yeah, as you guys can probably tell, this doesn't seem to be the result of one of my usual screw-ups, but something conflicting with the base game itself.

To clarify, if I remove the files i specifically listed as being a problem, the game runs fine, you can test this out. So I don't think it's the population number issue. What I'm hoping is that there is something in the raws of the problem files that causes the game to crash, but isn't a bug on my end. That is, the game doesn't like something I did which used to work. If I can figure out what that is, I can change it and make the crashes stop happening.
Is there anything specific which differentiates the posthuman from the organic (creatures or entities)? That'd be a good place to start.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 04:40:50 am »

Is there anything specific which differentiates the posthuman from the organic (creatures or entities)? That'd be a good place to start.

Well they've got functional but messily patched-together (raw-wise) tissue layers that are supposed to be synthetic flesh over mechanical muscle, and I've also made it so they can't be cut apart because at the time there was no regen ability besides transformation, which is very finicky. They use a mix of custom meat and inorganic metal as the makeup of their bodies, and are all really strong physically.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 08:36:11 am »

Well, your entity files are all OK. They work when they use a different creature. 1000 years without crashing, and several worlds at 1-2 hundred. It's something about those body parts and tissues and whatever related files they connect to which it doesn't like.

I'm trying to work through the Gigants which are fairly simple with no extra castes to worry about, replacing body parts with standard fleshy bits. Haven't managed to narrow anything down yet. (I did try testing all the other non-body part tags that they have on feshy races, and they all seem to work OK).

With any luck someone with a Dfhack thing which points out exactly where stuff is going wrong will chime in before I get bored of this (I do like your colour scheme and music though, so will try for a while longer).

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 01:48:07 pm »

World Gen Crashes that ive noticed have a few new issues that arised.. Which requires a lot of testing.

- DARK FORTRESS civs cannot have defined positions currently due to Randomised possible conflicts per World Generation.
- NO_EAT in creatures raw seems to cause a crash for FOREST RETREAT civs, which I had to remove that from 1 of my civs.
    -  ^ Not sure if this issue could also be with NO_DRINK or any others.
- Multiple Responsibilities, meaning having 2 or more positions defining certain responsibilities, have a tendency to cause crashes for FORTRESS and TOWN/HAMLET civs.

^ that's mostly what ive learned from trying to update my mod.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:55:43 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 05:03:54 pm »

World Gen Crashes that ive noticed have a few new issues that arised.. Which requires a lot of testing.

- DARK FORTRESS civs cannot have defined positions currently due to Randomised possible conflicts per World Generation.
- NO_EAT in creatures raw seems to cause a crash for FOREST RETREAT civs, which I had to remove that from 1 of my civs.
- Multiple Responsibilities, meaning having 2 or more positions defining certain responsibilities, have a tendency to cause crashes for FORTRESS and TOWN/HAMLET civs.

Ha, yeah, No_Eat. That was the tag I missed testing last night. Generating Gigants just fine now.
What a great forum.

--
And yeah, put all the crashing creatures back sans No_Eat and the mod is working now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:08:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 05:08:13 pm »

Ha, yeah, No_Eat. That was the tag I missed testing last night. Generating Gigants just fine now.
What a great forum.

Oh wow really? That's insanely annoying. Oh well

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 05:20:13 pm »

What a great forum.

Oh wow really? That's insanely annoying. Oh well
Not sure what about no_eat it doesn't like though. It seems to work in vanilla on elves and dwarves.

--edit

No, wait put them in the entity file by mistake. Yeah, [NO_EAT] on dwarves causes crashes. Elves seem OK.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:49:27 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: [1] 2