Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 273

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 458092 times)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #4005 on: July 11, 2024, 06:49:28 pm »

This is very agitating. But based on Kesperan's reaction, and Avolition's lack of enthusiasm for the results, I suppose I will now undo my turn, and use the save prior to the one avolition gave me, and start over AGAIN.

Regardless of how anyone else feels about the matter!

I'm too annoyed to go looking for the previous save, ha. If someone could please link it to me in a reply, that would be excellent.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: July 12, 2024, 09:26:55 am »

Here's the save, end of Turn 150, year 1126.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTxmerxmLgoziq5hTaNgCTXGrW6WDkjA/view?usp=drive_link

Let me know if the permissions are screwy.

Good luck, Bralbaard!
Previous save is above. I thought it was an interesting mix up and just remarked that I wish it did more during time skips is all.

Just wanted to do something that made the world interesting especially as we were talking final turns but I can see how it's annoying for people with bloodlines they want to play out. Appologies that my turn has caused you to start and then have to restart.

Sign me back up please, I won't do any timefuckery
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: July 12, 2024, 10:21:08 am »

So, I made some experiments (on Avolition's 151 save):

* Compressed save: around 8 giga
* Uncompressed save: around 10 giga
* Archived compressed save: around 800 mega
* Archived uncompressed save: 621 mega

It appears we're well beyond the 500 mega limit for the uncompressed save. This experiment does make it more worth for people to turn off compress save however. The advantages of uncompressed saves is that it take a lot less to finish, at least in my case.

I have also successfully uploaded the save on DFFD in parts, so that works for those who really want to upload to DFFD (i.e. me).

I've noticed that the unit files take about one giga. Just out of curiosity, what happens to a game if someone were to delete them?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 10:39:35 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: July 12, 2024, 12:04:59 pm »

Nemesis unit load failure
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: July 12, 2024, 12:13:44 pm »

Look at description, it needs the raws. I borked the raws while the archiving was taking place. I can try reuploading, it's just that it took 5 minutes just archiving and I was lazy to re-do all that.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: July 12, 2024, 12:39:29 pm »

Nonono, that was a response to your question. Deleting the unit files would cause a nemesis unit load error. And a ctd.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: July 12, 2024, 01:19:58 pm »

Ah, I see. I thought they'd be unneeded extras that could trim some size from the save. Thanks for the answer.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: July 12, 2024, 02:26:48 pm »

Here's the save, end of Turn 150, year 1126.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTxmerxmLgoziq5hTaNgCTXGrW6WDkjA/view?usp=drive_link

Let me know if the permissions are screwy.

Good luck, Bralbaard!
Previous save is above. I thought it was an interesting mix up and just remarked that I wish it did more during time skips is all.

Just wanted to do something that made the world interesting especially as we were talking final turns but I can see how it's annoying for people with bloodlines they want to play out. Appologies that my turn has caused you to start and then have to restart.

Sign me back up please, I won't do any timefuckery

Here, why not just redo your turn. I'm heading up to Jersey for half of next week starting tomorrow, and it'll be difficult for me to get a whole lot done in game, I imagine.

Also, you're fine! No worries. But uhhh... in exchange for getting your turn back, and what with the forgiveness and all, I may need to borrow some of your flesh. I think that's fair, yeah?

You've always wanted a dead chicken sewn into your neck, right? Or something far stranger, and likely more horrible.

I'm also probably going to need your character's face. I was thinking about sewing it onto Islas, what's his face - the roc. Whose body Weenie le Puu will ultimately revive and then steal. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 11:40:55 pm by dikbutdagrate »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: July 12, 2024, 03:14:38 pm »

OK, I have caught up on the posts of the last day or so since my last update.

Avo, if you are going to take the next turn could I suggest you use this save:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1svcoNfYu93opzVnD7aP2zUBeMH5ZdPaQ/view?usp=drive_link

I have moved Oddom's stuff to a human town so that his equipment doesn't get deleted if he runs off to join a fort.

Since Dikbut has passed for now and has asked Avo to redo his turn 151 the list should look like this again:

Turn 151: AvolitionBrit (current turn)
Turn 152: Dikbutdagrate
Turn 153: LurkerZ
Turn 154: Eric Blank
Turn 155: Kesperan
Turn 156: Quantum Drop
Turn 159: AvolitionBrit

If Avo and Dikbut cannot play, that would make it Lurker's turn.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: July 12, 2024, 07:46:06 pm »

Sure, I can pick the save up wehn I awaken

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: July 13, 2024, 06:05:34 am »

Hey, Avo, sorry for the loss of your work. I hope you do enjoy the re-playing.

Could I direct you to use the diacritics raws? Good luck on your turn.

Sure, I can pick the save up wehn I awaken
Your reply reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ManC9QcNs

As you stand upon the edge
Hanging in the balance
And fate may fall down upon you
While the devil is knocking
So all you restless
Each night you hear the drums of war (hear the drums of war)
Awaken, awaken
The voice begins to call you while you hunger (while you hunger)
A taste of destiny you're searching for
Awaken, awaken, awaken

Uh, what happened here? NPCs can just... go to settlements and steal artifacts after World Activation? Minat doesn't seem to have been an adventurer's companion, is an Omon Obin citizen who went to a High Confederacies town, stole a dwarven artifact and took it to a goblin capital. By the way, that artifact is very storied, but that's a different matter.

Dibs on searching it in the ruins of Ironwards. It's not going to be my submission to the Museum, I have a more interesting idea.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 09:17:19 am by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: July 13, 2024, 02:08:00 pm »

The raws you have provided Lurker have replaces the saves Raws.

Drunken scholar

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: July 13, 2024, 03:13:23 pm »

There should be a copy of the vanilla raws included in the save, I made sure to make one a while back.
I make Spellcrafts!

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: July 13, 2024, 05:57:19 pm »

From my understanding, vanilla raws (i.e. the raws that you download directly from the official site) haven't worked for around 50 turns now. The worst part is, once every few turns, the modified raws turn to blender. A few have mentioned this results in weird icons on that map. Thankfully, it's not gamebreaking, but it does break the diacritics and the ability to unretire or embark as a human civ. I haven't modified the raws at all, I just copy-pasted and turned into a rar the last stable raws that kept diacritics and ability to embark/unretire as human civs. I often test them myself to see if they break the game in the current state, but thankfully, I don't get issues. The biggest issue is unavoidable, that of save size bloat at every turn, but that's likely because of the site files whose increase every time someone makes a new fort or upgrades an old one and it's understandable.

I am almost 100% certain that after my and Avolition's turns, the raws work exactly as they were left, but tracking down where they get borked is something I have not been able to do. I'm not too technical-minded; my best guess is that it's someone replacing the graphics, either manually or through LNP and that has a cascade effect on the raws for some reason. I use phoebus and I know that after ending a turn and testing the save, I don't have issues. I don't know what he uses, but I know if Avolition has unborked raws before his turn, he also gives a save with unborked raws. That's the extent of my observations on this weird phenomenon.

Or maybe it's an operating system or something other that throws the raws into a blender? I'm just guessing here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 06:30:42 pm by Lurker Z »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: July 16, 2024, 01:39:17 pm »

From my understanding, vanilla raws (i.e. the raws that you download directly from the official site) haven't worked for around 50 turns now. The worst part is, once every few turns, the modified raws turn to blender. A few have mentioned this results in weird icons on that map. Thankfully, it's not gamebreaking, but it does break the diacritics and the ability to unretire or embark as a human civ. I haven't modified the raws at all, I just copy-pasted and turned into a rar the last stable raws that kept diacritics and ability to embark/unretire as human civs. I often test them myself to see if they break the game in the current state, but thankfully, I don't get issues. The biggest issue is unavoidable, that of save size bloat at every turn, but that's likely because of the site files whose increase every time someone makes a new fort or upgrades an old one and it's understandable.

I am almost 100% certain that after my and Avolition's turns, the raws work exactly as they were left, but tracking down where they get borked is something I have not been able to do. I'm not too technical-minded; my best guess is that it's someone replacing the graphics, either manually or through LNP and that has a cascade effect on the raws for some reason. I use phoebus and I know that after ending a turn and testing the save, I don't have issues. I don't know what he uses, but I know if Avolition has unborked raws before his turn, he also gives a save with unborked raws. That's the extent of my observations on this weird phenomenon.

Or maybe it's an operating system or something other that throws the raws into a blender? I'm just guessing here.

That was both excellent reporting, as well as really good dissection of the problem here. Thanks Lurker Z.

While it's highly implausible for operating systems themselves to have anything directly to do with it, your earlier conclusions are incredibly sound.

Unfortunately, I have literal zero experience in this particular domain, with all of the prior to .5+ graphic replacement stuff, and the stater packs, so I can offer nothing of constructive worth here. But I might comb through the thread here in a bit, and see where the concerns about an increase in file size may have first been raised.

Whoever is it likely has no idea that whatever they're doing causes issues with save stability.
And what's worse, is they're probably under the impression that they're being courteous in returning the save to a default state.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 273