Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 273

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 458110 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3975 on: July 02, 2024, 06:38:51 pm »

Edit : Working on the save still, Kesperan let me know when you want the save

Take your time, I am still playing on Maloy's succession fort this week!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: July 04, 2024, 05:23:39 pm »

Oh nice, il have to check it out after this. Just post here and I will upload.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: July 04, 2024, 05:41:29 pm »

I felt that its long past time to upload my last adventurers' journal.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: July 06, 2024, 07:17:56 am »

Thanks for the updated Eric, sounds like your new dwarf is a badass! The demon remains you found beneath the spire of Poisonuttered were probably from when Moldath visited

I am a bit worried that Bralbaard hasn't posted for so long. I hope he is OK. In the meantime, I will try to update the turn list and any new museum submissions so that they can be added to the front page again at some point.

Avolition is currently playing and I am next on the list, but I only played the turn before and I am a bit busy for the next few weeks with work and holidays, so I am going to bump myself down a few spaces.

So here is the proposed new turn list:

Turn 151: AvolitionBrit (current turn)
Turn 152: Dikbutdagrate
Turn 153: LurkerZ
Turn 154: Eric Blank
Turn 155: Kesperan
Turn 156: Quantum Drop
Turn 159: AvolitionBrit

Bralbaard and tonnot98 and anyone else who missed their turn can be re-added whenever they want.

Museum Submissions:

76: A gray fiend tooth: the dwarf vampire Zokun Snarlcalls the Holy Reverence of Tragedy invaded hell through the spire of Poisonuttered and vanquished many demons - this tooth was a relic of his victory against the hordes of hell. Submitted by EricBlank (Turn 149)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: July 06, 2024, 05:19:48 pm »

Gqb e sayv

gqp e dap

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: July 07, 2024, 05:28:34 pm »

Gqb e sayv

gqp e dap

Either he has been possessed by eldritch forces, or Dikbut is ready for the save Avo!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: July 08, 2024, 12:07:25 pm »

I'm getting worried about bral too!

Hate to bother him every time he has to go inactive, but it does make me worry

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: July 08, 2024, 06:39:08 pm »

Some years have passed.

Save

Hope bralbaard is doing okay!

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: July 08, 2024, 07:22:04 pm »

Avo, what the heck?

You played for more than 100 years?

The dwarves are almost wiped out again. Went from 1600 dwarves on my turn to 600.

The Matched Hame that I spend so long rebuilding are down to 6 dwarves.

I am ... genuinely sad.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: July 08, 2024, 07:29:03 pm »

Oh wow... all my little guys are dead for sure...

How did you even manage that in two weeks?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: July 08, 2024, 08:13:58 pm »

WHAT

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: July 09, 2024, 04:09:34 am »

It looks like Avo retired his fort in 1133 and resumed in 1233, so I assume he used some kind of dfhack timeskip to change the two week delay to 100 years. That must have taken an age.

The issue I have is that dwarves don’t procreate “off camera” and so the bloodlines and animal people etc that players like Eric and me have created are all wiped out. For example, almost all of the descendants of Moldath that I’ve been cultivating are all dead. Every museum adventurer who isn’t immortal will be dead, like my tiger man.

The theme of the world when you go back to turn 1 was the return of the dwarves from the brink of extinction and players like me have spent a lot of time building up the four dwarves civs which have now been decimated again. That kind of kills my desire to play the game.

The focus of the game is adventure mode so I guess we need Avo to explain how this fits with the narrative of his turn. Wish we had Bralbaard here to impart his wisdom. I get that there’s nothing specifically in the game rules to prevent this sort of thing.

The longest turn we’ve had previously has been, what, 10 years? Would it be unreasonable to suggest turns are limited to say 25 or even 50 years to mitigate the deaths from old age?

What does everyone think?

I also need to try to post the story of my last adventurer Oddom Coalbound before I go on vacation. It looks like he had an interesting afterlife in Avo’s new future timeline.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: July 09, 2024, 11:33:47 am »

That's an issue of DF that I've been griping for a long time. That being said, it's not Avolition's fault. My issue was that the initial bloodlines, some of which survived from the 1st century, died after 100 years of world activation because they can't procreate. Unfortunately, that's a meta aspect of the game that can't be fixed in this version and that I hope someday Toady fixes in the main evolution line of the game. I think Jas Anthad's player had the best call, if you want a bloodline to survive, make a member of the family immortal and retire them somewhere out of the way so that they may continue the bloodline when the player returns.

That being said, I've noticed some interesting things. I think Avolition only skipped somewhere between 1180 and and current time (somewhere around 1237). You can see it in Legends Mode where there's an abrupt cut-off between events. I'm pretty sure he played everything until 1180.

I've just managed to get Legends Viewer booted and I've found this interesting part. I think it's all AI decisions and not directed by Avolition:

Lots of reclaims and Adilatír still has almost 3500 dependent humans (most of which are likely abstract creature, which explains how they survive through the centuries). Also, I just realized (though this has been happening for centuries), Adilatír has the 3rd largest human population in the world after Mong Uthros (which probably still has those 5000 abstract humans stacked in Istrakathroc) and Omon Obin.

The theme of the world when you go back to turn 1 was the return of the dwarves from the brink of extinction and players like me have spent a lot of time building up the four dwarves civs which have now been decimated again. That kind of kills my desire to play the game.
A civilization could go extinct through a bad RNG when some goblins siege something and destroy it while someone else plays a fort on the other part of the world. That's the roll of the dice. Remember when Cemoshtoral was attacked and the only reason the inhabitants weren't all killed was because a forgotten beast locked in the depths was added to the defenders' army? That could happen to any emergent civ if it's unlucky.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 12:07:16 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: July 09, 2024, 12:30:28 pm »

I would say time skips using the time skip hack should be permitted before being done, but if you have a big project in fort mode it is hard to avoid many years passing.

One of my early goals for my wolf man was to grow a kingdom, repopulate towns, and develop an army and economy.

But using humans its hard because by the time my turn came back around the pops would reset due to death from old age. I don't like using immortals either because that feels static. You can park an elf in the same spot and come back centuries later and he hasn't done anything new.

I sort of Pivoted to focusing on my immortal characters story arcs. I'm really excited I made military squads of angels and elves. Immortal warriors whose arcs I can follow without worrying about them passing away. Downside only being that it is hard to readjust to the current geopolitical state of the world every time. Again I had to focus more on the characters to figure it out.

That band of dwarves from Maloy's most recent story arc were so much fun for me and I was genuinely sad when the last mortal one died of old age. Even though it was Roleplay I actually felt lonely on behalf of the wolf man

I'm hoping to organically cause Arthur and Miara's kids to start their own families before this game is completely done with.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: July 09, 2024, 03:18:22 pm »

Honestly just retcon my turn. I just wanted to try something different and see if anything interesting would happen. I had a cool story but the timeskip stuff didn't do much. I was curious if wars would occur, what would the goblins do and stuff. But yeah pretty stagnate.

I won't take offense if you choose to skip my save. Sorry I was the gem who sold the world.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 273