Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 427718 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2595 on: December 05, 2022, 05:13:58 pm »

The dedication here is stunning.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: December 05, 2022, 05:31:04 pm »

The dedication here is stunning.

Well, I feel especially at fault, as it seems my recent turn caused this. Trying my hardest to rectify it without having to just give up all the progress I made that turn. I'm genuinely not certain what I could have turn to screw things up so hard, but I'm on the case! I feel as if I'm getting closer regardless.

ALSO: Sorry NGN for moving the thread past your great continuation of Leto's story, everyone go read that instead of my techno-rambling.
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: December 05, 2022, 05:34:34 pm »

I found the camper just beyond the hill, a robust and well-armed dwarf blissfully napping in the sun.

I am intrigued by the dwarf you ... snacked upon. Is Demon Slayer a custom title? Was it a player character? Perhaps Rekthor?

Loving the story so far NGN. I actually visited Leto in one of my turns, he's a baron now. I gifted him a book about magic that he might enjoy...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: December 05, 2022, 06:09:35 pm »

I think it might have been another adventurer, but their name isn't in my notes and it's been too long to check.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: December 05, 2022, 10:18:15 pm »

And so, I have discovered the cause of our crashes on both the change of year, as well as at the start of summer. In the current iteration of the save I have created, I have allowed time to pass for five years without any form of crashing, freezing, or instability. As far as I can tell, the problem has been solved and Orid Xem has been saved (from my own hands).

Regarding the issue; it appears that it was exclusively related to Silverthrone, specifically position assignments. More specifically, military position assignments. At some point during my turn, or perhaps even before, a few of the assignment IDs for squad commanders were thrown off by about two positions. This was enough to have multiple histfigs be pointed to as the leader of multiple different squads or even overlapping simultaneously. Due to this, using the ingame UI to change squad leaders or nobles crashed the tick after they were used, no doubt due to the strangeity of that overlapping data. I have used gui/gm-editor to rectify that specific issue, and from my internal testing, it was the sole cause of the problem.

For your viewing displeasure, here are some notes thereon that will probably not have any value to you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
IMPORTANT: HERE IS THE NEW SAVE AFTER THE END OF MY TURN.
I IMPLORE you all to go ahead and do some extensive testing, just because I had no crashes after this fix doesn't mean it wasn't a fluke or only a temporary patch.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:27:31 pm by Unraveller »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: December 05, 2022, 10:40:49 pm »

I hope this works and I applaud your effort. It seems the commanders were at fault after all (is the way I understood it). Did you remove the commanders from Silverthrone before saving? Hopefully they don't replenish.

My big issue is where these problems came from and why now. You used a human fort mod many turns ago and nothing broke. Is this a new fort mod? Do you have any idea why, when Bralbaard had tried replacing the raws with vanilla ones, the game immediately crashes on him?

I don't want to play the blaming game, as far as I'm concerned nobody cares about that. I just want to be sure these issue that are somehow tied to positions that shouldn't exist in the vanilla game don't resurface and to find a way to remove them.

Re: Bralbaard, how long should we test and who gets the save? Will Cook continue his turn?
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: December 05, 2022, 11:35:24 pm »

It was not the units themselves that were at fault, they did not need to be removed. It was the way the position assignment data was off by a few placements. Nothing has changed between those turns with regards to how human fortresses work, so as to why the issue appeared, it was likely my own fumbling trying to get military working in New Weatherponder. You see, the way the human military positions are stored is not the same as dwarven ones, so assigning new commander positions between sites of the same Human civ needs to be handled carefully.

Now that I know how to avoid it, this specific issue will not return.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: December 06, 2022, 04:09:54 am »

This is great news Unraveller. Thanks for all your hard work.

Does this fix all the multiple law givers issue?

Hope Cook gets a good turn now!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: December 06, 2022, 06:50:30 am »

This is great news Unraveller. Thanks for all your hard work.

Does this fix all the multiple law givers issue?

Hope Cook gets a good turn now!

Yeah, that should be fixed as well, however someone should take a look and make sure. I would, but about to head to work.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 06, 2022, 07:04:32 am »

Great news! Maybe we should allow for testing up to Friday? I guess people may be busy playing the new version however....

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 09, 2022, 10:43:58 am »

So, it's Friday. How do we proceed?
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 09, 2022, 10:47:04 am »

I've had absolutely no time to check anything, but I have not heard anything alarming either, so I say we continue!

I'll PM Cook, and advise them to make plenty of backups..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:52:13 am by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2607 on: December 09, 2022, 11:12:02 am »

Yeah... my limited free time has been consumed by both the Dwarf Fortress steam release and the coinciding WoW Dragonflight release!

Good luck Cook!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 09, 2022, 03:25:06 pm »

Yeah... my limited free time has been consumed by both the Dwarf Fortress steam release and the coinciding WoW Dragonflight release!
That's rough, buddy. ;D

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 09, 2022, 03:57:10 pm »

for me i have been still active here and there on the forums just making sure that i don't miss my turn or anything, i have plans of buying the steam release soon but i am currently focusing on normal classic DF for now until i feel ready to buy the steam release and other games on steam with my steam wallet
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 265