Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 421286 times)

Cook100500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2565 on: November 29, 2022, 04:53:54 pm »

Also on another copy of the save I've forwarded the clock by a ridiculous amount to the year 1000, and the game appears stable (or at least doesn't crash every few days as reported earlier) I've progressed a month or four without crashes, presumably because whatever causes the crash might have died of old age. Not sure if that will last but I'm out of testing time for today (and will not have further time to test this week)
If you skipped less than 4 months it could not crash just because crashes begin about 3-4 months playing into the save, after 6th hematite. But if it actually works thats narrows it down a little
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:08:18 pm by Cook100500 »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 29, 2022, 05:13:56 pm »

So, I'm not much in a hurry to play, but I have time for the foreseeable future. Do I leave it a few days for some more troubleshooting? I'd do the year 1000 thing, but there are issues I'm worried about:
* Most mortal historical figures would die of old age, either as soon as my turn started or after encountering them. Hell, we might lose all but one of the dwarven civs from playing, and even that might be random. We might even lose all the human civs.
* Is it just tricking the game with a fake date? I don't know how to do that. Bralbaard would either have to guide me or give me the test save he made - or to make the skip himself and upload the save.
* As we are, I think the year 1000 solution might be even worse as turning the clock two turns back.
As it is, neither of the two options seem appealing and year 1000 solution might actually be the most apocalyptic of the two. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for either this to be fixed or to hear out Bralbaard's opinion on what option we should use. I personally strongly suggest against using the year 1000 solution.

If you skipped less than 4 months it could not crash just because crashes begin about 3-4 months playing into the save, after 6th hematite. But if it actually works thats narrows it down a little
The way I understand it, he used a dfhack command to trick the game that it's in the year 1000 without progressing the game the normal way through the calendar screen. The game keeps track of historical figures' death age and likely killed the offending unit before it could move wherever it wanted to. So, 4 months was an arbitrary time to test if it runs smoothly, I figure it would have worked with 4 years or more too.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:16:36 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 29, 2022, 05:28:09 pm »

You are right on all those issues Lurker, for now the year 1000 thing was just for the purpose of testing. It is certainly not how I would want to move forward since almost all historical figures would die of old age. I have also definitely not tested long enough to know if it is actually stable, I think the four months without crashes could still be random luck.
Also before you start playing we still need to resolve Cook100500's turn.

@Cook100500; I moved to the year 1000 from your troubleshooting save, so basically on the same date as the crash. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:36:42 pm by Bralbaard »

Cook100500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 29, 2022, 05:40:50 pm »

The way I understand it, he used a dfhack command to trick the game that it's in the year 1000 without progressing the game the normal way through the calendar screen. The game keeps track of historical figures' death age and likely killed the offending unit before it could move wherever it wanted to. So, 4 months was an arbitrary time to test if it runs smoothly, I figure it would have worked with 4 years or more too.
Didnt know the game would do that, huh. So everyone has their natural age of death already? Sinister.
Will try massacring few forts and sites in test runs to see if that will somehow help, but that's like searching for a needle in a hay stack. There is a chance of fixing by blind luck but i hope someone knowlegable enough finds the solution

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 29, 2022, 05:57:09 pm »

So everyone has their natural age of death already? Sinister.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Immortality#DFHack
I made this section myself.
Spoiler: Off-topic reply (click to show/hide)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: December 01, 2022, 10:29:01 am »

Catching up with these developments….

As I understand it, one of the NPCs in Silverthrone is causing the bug, and if time is advanced into the future when they are presumably dead, the bug is fixed?

So I guess the solution is to time skip by the smallest possible amount to minimise disruption and unnecessary NPC deaths? That sounds like a trial/error solution. What’s everyone thinking?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: December 01, 2022, 10:37:46 am »

Kill everyone in Seńamatem except Jas and his line, they're family-less unimportant creatures anyway, see if that fixes it. If not, kill everyone or just Jas' line to see if one of Jas' line is responsible for this. If it's someone from Jas' line, narrow it down until we know who we have to kill to get the game running again.

I honestly hope it'd be that simple, but I'm worried it's related to someone in Seńamatem going to a site nobody else would go to, and that this would trigger the problem again.

I kept thinking this, but I keep forget to mention it, but Warshrieks and Newworld breaking should be alarm bells, because they worked including to be retired by their founders, yet they broke between turns. That means the worm there's a mechanism which breaks sites and/or creatures during turns, which is very worrying.

Suggestion to easily kill creatures: use the exterminate command, but before, locate Jas' line, so you know where they are to resurrect them (full-heal -r) after the purge.

Edit: Is there a dfhack command that outright erases a creature/item off the map? Exterminate still requires a click for the creature to keel over, still leaves a body and only works on living creatures.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 12:10:30 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: December 01, 2022, 01:31:17 pm »

One thing I noticed is that when you embark with a new group, you currently have the possibility to start with a bunch of humans instead of dwarves and you also receive a ridiculous amount of embark points. I guess that means some raw changes have been made that still affect the game. I'm not sure if any of that could be related,  (replacing the raws with an older version does not fix it, and possibly only makes it worse, the game appears to only get stuck faster, not sure what is going on there..)

I've tried to follow up on this. It's weird that going back to the original raws makes the game even more unstable. With the original raws the game just seems to crash instantly, even when timeskipping to the year 1000, or whenever. It's almost as if the save game now depends on modded raws, even when it was started in vanilla.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 01:36:05 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: December 01, 2022, 01:57:50 pm »

Since you don't use Legends Viewer, this might be of interest to you in troubleshooting:

https://i.imgur.com/dNOI5RI.png

From what I understand, these people have the title of Commander, but they're listed in the Law-Giver list for Omon Obin. I initially took it as a curious, but ultimately irrelevant little quirk of whatever mod was used. Whether it has some significance in what you describe, I can't say, but we may as well explore all avenues.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: December 01, 2022, 01:58:43 pm »

yeah, its generally inadvisable to make any major changes to the raws of a world. Especially since a lot of the modifications were additions, like adding all the weapons to the dwarf civ and making humans playable. You start taking things away that the save assumes were available, that can cause a crash.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: December 01, 2022, 02:41:37 pm »

If it is in fact related to Silverthrone, I wonder if it's something to do with The Realm Of Silver itself owning Silverthrone, instead of a site government? I don't think civilizations can normally own sites directly.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: December 01, 2022, 02:41:53 pm »

I've tried to follow up on this. It's weird that going back to the original raws makes the game even more unstable. With the original raws the game just seems to crash instantly, even when timeskipping to the year 1000, or whenever. It's almost as if the save game now depends on modded raws, even when it was started in vanilla.

This again must be a recent change. In each of my turns I have reinstated the base raws before starting so I could change graphics packs without issue. The ability to play as humans was not there until recently either.

I must confess to adding all recipes to dwarves using dfhack as the Walled Dye didn’t have access to high boots!

I’m afraid the game has mutated by multiple people tinkering with it. I hope it’s salvagable.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: December 01, 2022, 03:49:28 pm »

I might have narrowed down the cause. After unretiring Silverthrone, I noticed that a number of dwarves humans were marked as "Travelling". With how buggy the raid/mission system can be, that immediately struck me as a prime suspect. I disbanded the entire military, except one where I couldn't because the commander was travelling. The nobles screen still showed two travellers (that commander and one other) so I killed them through dfhack. After that, I was able to advance time a few days past the 6th, but then it froze again.

It seems like these travellers returning is the cause of the freeze, so if they're all killed that could fix it. I don't know if there's a quicker way to do it than manually looking up their histfig IDs and running `devel/kill-hf`. Since they're off-site I don't think exterminate will work. It's a bit of a pain needing to cross-reference the language files since the names are displayed in humanish in-game but English in the legends files.
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: December 01, 2022, 03:59:26 pm »

Would using the Masonry Method be easier? Do you want help? I can start making a list with their original names if it helps.

I'm noticing something else strange, some (if not all) of these Commanders have goblin last names. Not only this, but the original is even the same as in the goblin languages, even if the original in the human language should be different. What the hell is happening here? As I was making the list, I noticed only the first half of Commanders have goblin names. The second half have dwaven names. For some weird reason.

Spoiler: Commanders - raw list (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Commanders v.2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Commanders v.3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Commanders part 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Commanders part 2 v2 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:21:44 pm by Lurker Z »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: December 01, 2022, 04:43:15 pm »

Would using the Masonry Method be easier? Do you want help? I can start making a list with their original names if it helps.
I don't know what that is, and I couldn't see any explanation of how to do it through the link.

Spoiler: Commanders - raw list (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Commanders v.2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Commanders v.3 (click to show/hide)
Where are these names coming from? Are they all the commanders of the Realm of Silver? Most of the commanders aren't traveling, I'm looking for the soldiers that are.
Edit: Oh, they are there. Yes, that's helpful.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:00:02 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 265