Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 431738 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2880 on: February 07, 2023, 04:11:20 pm »

Thankfully it wasn't the blight, it was a demon expedition leader. The sauropod one I think. Breathed fire. Beat it over the head multiple times, but lost a leg immediately and then an arm, and then my spine...

Ah, a Charcoal Brute. I can symphatize. Somehow out of all the demons they seem to cause all the problems.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: February 07, 2023, 06:15:05 pm »

Ah, yes, the strange story of  The Impervious Wall.

In 704, Pis Meadowshaft the Mucous of Raunch and his demon buddies from The Curious Horror sacked Incenseorder, routing the rightful owners The High Confederacies. Many years later, a human warrior raised by dwarves, Iden Bloodinked the Mire of Cities (Glloyd), killed Pis with a wooden crutch, and claimed Incenseorder for the dwarves of The Walled Dye. The new group was called The Impervious Wall, and it seemingly incorporated Pis Meadowshaft's charcoal brute lieutenants. They are considered by the game to be members of The Impervious Wall, and the expedition leader who killed you was one of several still meandering about. Because they are a race incorporated into The Walled Dye, they appear as a possible race for new adventurers (although as fire-breathing sauropods with no opposable thumbs they tend to make terrible adventurers, seeing as they cannot open doors...)

As for The Curious Horror - they were driven back over the years by the resurgent dwarves and The High Confederacies, and now number only five snivelling goblins, holed up in the captured dwarf fortress of Confusedship.

Meanwhile, The Impervious Wall itself started to reclaim other sites - they now control three other settlements in the mountains east of the lands of The High Confederacies.

As soon as they are encountered in adventure mode, they seem to forget they are dwarven subjects and revert to being demons, with FUN consequences. The one who killed Suril is likely to be Letha Whisperedheaven, but there are at least four other unnamed charcoal brutes chilling out in the mountain halls of Sabreclench...

Interestingly, the Lord of The Impervious Wall is none other than Maloy Craftsoars. Perhaps he should put a stop to the charcoal brutes under his jurisdiction once and for all?

Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: February 07, 2023, 06:33:04 pm »

The new group was called The Impervious Wall, and it seemingly incorporated Pis Meadowshaft's charcoal brute lieutenants.
Now this is new information for me. I thought the charcoal brutes were just scattered about.

Another curious part about The Impervious Wall (Kadänadil) is that, while a player-created group, it appears that it had offshots outside of a player's input. That is to say, it was part of the "Bandit King" Iden Nazushlikot's territory without specifically being his core group, it just grew as such. Another curious part is that, of many player-created groups, most died along with the player who created it, but Kadänadil kept having people appear as Lord/Lady once the previous one died. Maloy rising to Lord actually makes sense, since the game thinks he was "born" there (it's in Mabkor that he starts his adventures from).

Another adjacent interesting story is that of Bralbaard's surviving companions, which included Kem Kilaura, who remained in Mabkor until they died of old age and who fought for Pis without actually joining Pis' group, The Shaken Seducer/Tuzasno (of which I suspect only Pis was a member of, because I never saw another member of it).

But yes, the root problem appears to be that while the map is not loaded, yet the world is active, the demons have been integrated as active and productive members of dwarven society, when the map is loaded, they revert to "Roar! Kill everything!". Also it's a miracle that there are still demons roaming Orid Xem that didn't fall to adventurer blades yet (especially Moldath or Avolition).

Also something that's probably unique in World Activation in Orid Xem; at least, I haven't seen anything like it before or since:

The High Confederacies had attacked Pis' group while he was in charge. I wonder what would have happened if the group accepted the agreement. Would it have remained under Adilatír or would it have switched to THC? Is something like that even possible? THC was never at war with Adilatír, but it has been at war with The Staff of Kissing since 867 (and, worryingly, looking at this LV page, it seems my forever war theory is proven there: no war they have started after the year 700 has been extinguished so far; even that with the Curious Horror, who are officially extinct).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 06:43:57 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: February 07, 2023, 06:49:04 pm »

The curious horrors are still alive, they are just so few in numbers, a small group of goblins hidding in some fortress. Can't recall where. I have left them alone as i wanted to see if they would rebuild and return to a living civ.

Edit: Seems most the royal court were turned to ghouls.

Master Olngo Furpoisions has been imprisoned for nearly two hundred years, becoming defacto master.

She has lived so long "imprisoned" in Throatletters that her capturers. Early in the 9th century, the main populace died out only leaving the odd religious figure of The Sect of Evenness spending a day working from the site. Before leaving to Treatyside to join the main congregation. Perhaps its a rite of passage for members of The Sect of Evenness, to visit such a historical site dating back hundreds of years to its construction in 129. Also being the first structure of worship to be built since the construction of The Chapel of Canyons within Treatyseed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:07:54 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: February 07, 2023, 07:04:16 pm »

I think they need at least 2 settlements of their own to revive. Also, The Curious Horror had curiosities of its own, as during World Generation, it generally refused to conquer settlements and mostly razed them. I assume this is because their origins was not slab demons who made deals with Gods, but a demon who took over a dwarf fortress after the dwarves dug too deep, calling other demons, trolls and goblins in that civ. I suspect their death knell was when Shadmalzuglar was taken from them. Funnily enough, Shadmalzuglar can be reclaimed in Fortress Mode, since it was originally a 3x3 Adilatír dwarf fortress. This also implies that if anyone is ruthless enough to do it, 3x3 dwarf fortresses can be reclaimed as "Ruins" if everyone living in it is killed in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:05:58 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: February 07, 2023, 07:13:54 pm »

They are certainly curious horrors. Was just digging into the story of them. Getting some ideas for a new group of adventurers for my next turn.

In terms of the Cinnamon brute, i am curious but during other generations of Orid Xem, have they had a vault with their slab. Since its a custom world shape, i wonder if it intended to have a vault but would of generated in a position off the map we have currently. Might need to check to wiki and check out the alternative universes.

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: February 07, 2023, 07:23:00 pm »

They are certainly curious horrors. Was just digging into the story of them. Getting some ideas for a new group of adventurers for my next turn.

There are about five Malladang goblins left, in Confusedship, and they're all blighted thralls. The fort has been plundered by adventurers before - there's an elephant fiend corpse there slain by the alligator man Nethrez.

Charcoal Brutes are nasty. In my experience the only demons that cause trouble are the web shooters and fire breathers. Your regular mortal is going to have next to no chance of avenging Suril.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: February 07, 2023, 07:31:42 pm »

In terms of the Cinnamon brute, i am curious but during other generations of Orid Xem, have they had a vault with their slab. Since its a custom world shape, i wonder if it intended to have a vault but would of generated in a position off the map we have currently. Might need to check to wiki and check out the alternative universes.
As I said, Malladang is spawned in year 101 by dwarves digging too deep. Regenerating the world doesn't generate Malladang at all, while it does generate the Most Sin and the Knowing Deceiver. Instead of Malladang, one or two other goblin civs led by demons which were released by demons in dwarf fortresses where dwarves dug too deep are created. So they're definitely not tied by slabs, they're more like Pis in that aspect.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: February 07, 2023, 07:42:43 pm »

There are about five Malladang goblins left, in Confusedship, and they're all blighted thralls. The fort has been plundered by adventurers before - there's an elephant fiend corpse there slain by the alligator man Nethrez.

Charcoal Brutes are nasty. In my experience the only demons that cause trouble are the web shooters and fire breathers. Your regular mortal is going to have next to no chance of avenging Suril.

The next characters have no intention on fighting demons ahahah. I fought some demons as Holyblood and yeah they are certainly tough. Firebreathers will need good shield use to block the flames. Webs are instant death unitl your a brown recluse spider man or another web immune race.

Drunken scholar

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: February 08, 2023, 07:32:58 am »

I am currently reading through the full backlog (Up to page 71 now). It's taking me a while, there is just so much stuff.

Still, please sign me up for a turn.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: February 08, 2023, 07:57:17 am »

Welcome to the game

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: February 08, 2023, 09:47:32 am »

I am currently reading through the full backlog (Up to page 71 now). It's taking me a while, there is just so much stuff.

It will be about three months before your turn comes up, plenty of time to research the world of Orid Xem!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: February 08, 2023, 09:57:31 am »

Oh yeah, now I remember that. Thought I'd dealt with them for good back during that turn; definitely remember taking out some goblins over there, at least. (Also, beating a demon to death bare-handed is not something I recommend, power-trained alligator man or not.)

Yeah, this is about right. Firebreathers are OK-ish to handle if you've strong skills and don't get screwed by attack timings. Web-shooting demons are just plain nasty; IME, only way to take them is being a [WEBIMMUNE] creature or abusing the intelligent undead paralysis ability.

Welcome to to the game! I hope you enjoy the stories so far, and that your turn goes well when it comes around!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: February 08, 2023, 12:30:32 pm »

Is there a scenario where the wolf king can tame demons? Sounds like a fascinating turn that would almost definitely end in my death lol

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: February 08, 2023, 01:06:06 pm »

They'd probably need to be modded to be tamable, like I read at some point was done for elves; and is technically what happens with some necromancer experiments. As far as our vanilla-ish game is concerned, demons appear to be recognized as sapient. The final proof was one of Moldath's recent prints where they were killing each other, yet used stock sapient creatures dialogue (i.e. "It was inevitable" etc.) Although I suppose nobody !!science!!d a demon in fortress mode, but again, they'd probably behave differently from adventure mode (for example, that ancient troll I invited in my fortress was all nice and good, but when encountering Moldath, attacked him on sight).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 01:07:55 pm by Lurker Z »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 265