Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 430449 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1470 on: January 04, 2022, 04:06:21 pm »

Apparently we made it into the hall of legends!

Free drinks for everyone!

Thanks to everyone who voted us into the HoL!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 04, 2022, 04:09:37 pm »

Cheers!

Setting a new record for speed voting
I was honestly surprised we didn't get it day 1, we had about 6 or 7 votes since just then. Well, it's good it was in the bag, the thread deserves it.

Since I'm posting, might as well update what I've been up to lately with the wiki: got the page up for the first family of dwarves that graced Fortress mode, which might contain the first baby born in Fortress Mode as well. Phew, almost 5k typed characters for 5 dwarves. Considering a redirect takes about 700-800 typed characters just for the categories (example), that makes almost 5k for the redirects as well. It was almost as much work as for Zemel's dynasty, but I did that for a period of several days while I did this one in a single day.

The family is interesting for having 2 barons, one who somehow survived both massacres of 825 and 826 (which is that dwarf I suspect to be the first one to be born in a player fortress) and a currently still living Mayor. Not only do they have an in with nobility, the Mayor married a dwarf originally from The Staff civilization (though she converted to Adilatír when she arrived at the same place as him, so he had no reason not to, I suppose).

The sad part is none of the 3 children have any offspring themselves and they're getting close to dying of old age.

I knew I felt something strange about it and I didn't know what, but now I do: they feel like the Hawke family from Dragon Age. Father died in the prologue, left with a mother, two sons and a sister, the son dies to the blight... wow... It's almost the same, except with 2 sons instead of a single one.

I've also discovered another creature way back in the old thread attacked 6 times by werebeasts until the 7th finally turned it. I think this is either a bug or there must be some weird explanation, like there being only a few historical figures in a city or the AI taking the same character from the characters pool for some reason. Now I'm curious enough to consider tracking the werebeasts and seeing which of them took more than one try to be turned.

Updated list of fortresses, it's just a wall of red links right now, but it's up to date. Last one added so far is Eshim Acob / "Free the Eggs".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 06:41:02 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 04, 2022, 04:38:57 pm »

Great stuff! would not be suprised if the museum game wiki site will make it into the Hall of Legends on it's own one day.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 04, 2022, 11:41:11 pm »

Il raise a glass to the museum being imortalised in the hall of legends
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 05, 2022, 08:57:19 am »

Great news, I will raise a mug of *dwarven ale* to our success!

I've noticed the Museum is becoming a library - the last four submissions have been books. I wonder what our gorlak friend will submit?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 06, 2022, 11:32:04 pm »

Leaving Ashcinders and heading northeast, we once again crossed the great river and found ourselves amidst the cluster of hillocks that the fort protected. We stopped by a couple to rest and gather information. I was in for quite the pleasant surprise in Vigorbronze.

Inside the civic mound we were greeted by a battle-hardened dwarf mayor. Beside her, she had two of the most charming beasts I have ever seen! She called them “voracious cave crawlers” and told me how they were taken from the deep caverns and trained. She was surprisingly open to my request to take one as a pet. For the last of my soup rations, she gave me one of the crawlers as well as a fascinating book to keep me occupied on the long road ahead. Apparently, it’s hard to find good food out here on the frontier!

I name my new cave crawler Tishisshis. He is a bit too slow to be a useful mount, but I’m sure he’ll be quite fearsome in combat.

After days of travel, we reached the great river known as the Purged Loot which marks the borders of the Realm of Silver, largest of the human kingdoms. We crossed at night when the river froze over and headed for the nearby hamlet of Speechrags.

I entered the mead hall of Speechrags. Inside was a human woman, naked and scarred, with a wild look in her eyes. She screeched something like, “They’ve gotten in!” and charged at me! She ignored my attempts to communicate, and her attacks were easily dodged. Reloth and Tishisshis swiftly put an end to the madwoman before I could get anything else out of her.

We burned the body and left to investigate the peasant homes. A figure in the distance caught my eye, but as we approached it revealed a grotesque visage. The man looked to be a hunter and was mangled so thoroughly that I wondered how he could still walk. His nose was missing, leaving nothing but a gaping hole in his face beneath his dead, sightless eyes. Yet he did see us, somehow, and sprinted toward me with alarming speed. I brought up my whip, but the thing shrugged off bone-breaking blows as if they were nothing! I shattered its skull, but even with its brains spilling out, it came at me again! Tishisshis finally managed to end the creature by chomping its head clean off.

We continued towards the houses and were greeted by a scene of bloody chaos. Slick trails of gore spilled out of once-idyllic homes, and bodies littered the ground. In the distance, another human…-? tore away at an unconscious opponent. I backed away, but Reloth stood, transfixed by the scene.
“The Omon Blight.” She said, with a shudder. “I thought it was a myth.”
Eventually I was able to snap her out of it and we left that cursed place.

Heading north, the next hamlet we encountered was completely abandoned. No signs of struggle. The one after that, we found two old bodies, but no living residents. By then it was nightfall, but we braved camping in the wilderness rather than stay there.

The next day, we reached a castle with a large garrison of soldiers. We were happy to see some friendly faces. The soldiers were welcoming, if a bit grim. Unfortunately, they had done their best to avoid the blight and knew little more than us. All they could say was that it had suddenly swept through the kingdom, turning everyone it infected into bloodthirsty monsters. A single bite from the infected was enough to spread the disease, they said. All but the most cautious attempts to cull the blighted thralls would only bolster their numbers. And so, they stopped trying, cut themselves off from the outside world, and hoped to wait it out.

We continued onward. The castle dwellers may not be hopeful, but of they managed to hold off the infected there could be other survivors. We risked checking the hall in the next hamlet. Sadly, we were disappointed. Just more blighted thralls!

The thralls looked up from their colourful meal of troll viscera and charged us. I was able to shatter one’s foot and force it to the ground, but again my whip failed to land a killing blow. Tishisshis proved his worth again by biting of the head of the downed thrall. The other one proved more challenging, but we held fast. Eventually it succumbed to the many wounds inflicted upon it.

It seems the fiends can be slain through decapitation or thorough exsanguination. I may need to pick up an edged weapon if all these lands are so blighted. I also noted that the two thralls were, if not cooperative, at least non-aggressive with one another. A large group of them would be quite deadly indeed. I’m just glad the troll did not get up to join them. I’d rather not find out what such a brute could do with the unnatural strength bestowed by the blight.

On our way out of town, we ran into another maddened, naked survivor. He was standing catatonic out in the middle of a field. He did not respond when I called out to him but screamed and ran away as soon as we crossed his vision. Even if the blight has not claimed everyone, finding survivors in such a sorry state is almost more disheartening than finding none at all. I fear for these lands and what we may find beyond them.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 07, 2022, 03:11:43 pm »

Oh snap! That went from idyllic adventuring to zombie apocalypse really fast! I really hope it's not as bad as you're making it out. Though there is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I once again wonder if blighted thralls can die of old age. I sure hope so, otherwise every marriage or ascension to a noble position is a potential blight bomb.

I also noted that the two thralls were, if not cooperative, at least non-aggressive with one another.
Yeeeeees, about that... From my observations in Legends Viewer,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice story and interesting visual depiction of a cave crawler, I rarely do manage to picture non-humanoids from just text.

You're almost making me regret not visiting civilization. But then I remember it takes me between half an hour to an hour to get in and out of an inhabited site's general vicinity and it kinda sours it for me.

Did you encounter any bugs/crashes or the kind of lag I'm encountering? Bralbaard says the sites I go to run smoothly for him, which I find strange.

PS Something weird happened in a test reclaim, it was the year 842 so I checked, but all my progress on Clearmasters disappeared (but the dwarves that came in that time were still there and Moldath was free). I really hope that's a weird fluke and that my progress isn't lost. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd still be annoying.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 06:06:22 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 08, 2022, 07:33:11 pm »

PS Something weird happened in a test reclaim, it was the year 842 so I checked, but all my progress on Clearmasters disappeared (but the dwarves that came in that time were still there and Moldath was free). I really hope that's a weird fluke and that my progress isn't lost. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd still be annoying.

This might explain why, when I loaded up your save, Moldath was still his usual mangled self and still had all his equipment. Sounds like an odd bug.

How are you getting on with your turn, NGN?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 08, 2022, 07:35:36 pm »

Yeah hope your turn is going well Nogoodnames. Looking forward to seeing what else has happened during your turn.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 08, 2022, 09:05:52 pm »

I got hit with some other obligations, but I'll have the save up tomorrow.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: January 09, 2022, 01:59:21 pm »

This might explain why, when I loaded up your save, Moldath was still his usual mangled self and still had all his equipment. Sounds like an odd bug.

How are you getting on with your turn, NGN?

I tried looking at the save files for clues. Lurker's save appears to have an old copy of the site file for Clearmasters, or at least it tells me that site_1614 was last edited/changed in november.
The dates further suggest that Newworld was edited/changed recently, so the experiments on Moldath likely did take place. This suggests that he just happens to be affected with a particularly persistent curse.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 09, 2022, 02:07:46 pm »

There's no way I could have 50+ dwarves in the site if I didn't work on Clearmasters at all. Also I suspect the history of the dwarves remain in Legends Viewer, as well as the times I unretired and retired.

Well, I suppose I'm not that upset, I was mostly just burning time to get the dwarves Kikrost needed for his storyline, though losing the walkways and walls will be upseting. I just hope the modifications to Newworld took, as that's going to be my main fortress from now on.

I'll upload the Clearmasters save before I retired, hopefully I still have it, maybe someone can weld the modified site between turns or something.

Ah also my second named reptile girl must be there, so there's that that's not lost, at least.

Ok, I'm looking through Legends Mode, Moldath is seen arriving, but not killing anyone (?????????????) or being imprisoned (?????????????). I'm going to suspect Moldath from being a real boy and casting some dark magic on my save to get away with his crimes XD Which seems a little excessive, I was nice to him. The previous Legends Viewer extract (that I shift+deleted in favor of a more recent one, sadly) said he was condemned to his time + 50 (??? I'm not sure if correct number) hammerstrokes, but I never outfitted my sherriff with a hammer or put anyone in the position of hammerer, so as far as I know, he never got them. Does a dwarf get the hammers AFTER the jail time or before?

Nevermind, his crimes and imprisonment appear on the group page (The Armors of Diamond).

Checked on artifacts, they're not bugged and still exist, at least as far as Legends Viewer is concerned.

Here's the 842 good Clearmasters save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15812

Looking forward to the latest save to see the changes to the world. Did you have time for fortress building, nogoodnames?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 02:28:34 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 09, 2022, 03:11:29 pm »

Thank's for that half-turn save game. We've had weird save game corruption earlier and that time we could fix the worst of it by copying certain site files over between save games.
Back then we could not save Gor and Duskhome, but we did save half a dozen other sites from being lost.
It's probably worth trying some fixes when Nogoodnames turns in his save game.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:58:41 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 09, 2022, 03:59:11 pm »

I can apparently retire the fortress from Lurker's half-way save game, and copy the resulting site file to his final save, and upon loading it does not crash.
There is however an interesting "part of the cavern collapses" message, so I am not entirely sure if everything will survive as intended. Some changes to the fortress since the earlier version are visible. Apparently it works well enough.

The same approach should work for Nogoodname's save, unless he visited the site in the meantime, which I think he did not?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:05:20 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 09, 2022, 04:09:25 pm »

From what I understand, Gor and Duskhome were corrupted rather than replaced by default by a blank slate, and that's why the site data had to be reverted to that before they were built, so that when adventurers made their way there, they'd find empty fields but the game wouldn't crash.

Thanks for the attempt, Bralbaard, hopefully it works on NGN's save. As I said, it wouldn't have been a huge loss, but at least now we know the bug exists.

As for the cavern collapses... uh... that's probably on me. I worked with cave ins off, but that shouldn't have any consequences unless an adventurer arives there with cave ins on, in which case... who knows. Hopefully nothing too bad happens, I don't have any magma projects or anything and my water projects are all underground.

The same approach should work for Nogoodname's save, unless he visited the site in the meantime, which I think he did not?
It would probably matter only if he took things off the map. As we've established, creatures were in no way affected, apparently.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:11:51 pm by Lurker Z »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 265