Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Academy of the Young Gods (IC Thread)  (Read 18927 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Academy of the Young Gods (IC Thread)
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2020, 11:17:43 pm »

You have yourselves. Your military. But very well.
You will remain here.

Wénzi will be kept restrained, with any parts or equipment that may allow them remote communication with the main body of their forces cleanly removed. They will be sent to Lingbān, that he may speak with them, though they must always be under guard. Furhtermore, the Salvaged will be advised to prepare for continued combat.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:30:43 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2020, 05:29:13 am »

Dun looks uncharacteristically concerned. "Aw. Are you deficient in some manner?" She leans in to inspect him in more detail. "It's true that you appear weak and sickly, but your flowers appear to be in good health. Hm... this may have implications on the quality of my judgement."

'Yes,' Qu says. He does not elaborate.

"Qu!" she says insistently upon finding the malnourished flower-god. "Are those your flowers in the pit? What did you intend to do with them? They appear to be..." she trails off. It occurs to her that she probably doesn't want to play her entire hand so quickly.

"They are of two possible uses to me," she finishes, calming her voice and adopting a haughtier posture. "The first is as a gift to a greater power in order to acquire a diplomatically significant servant. The second is to augment the brightly colored squid of my menagerie into drug cattle, capable of producing a wide range of chemicals depending on how they are handled. My mortal toys are skilled in medicine, you see, so they would be well suited to both directing such livestock and wielding the resulting products.

Would you be interested in trading me the flowers, or perhaps have some interest in the finished products?"

Qu looks thoughtful. 'I thought to give them to my followers... he says, trailing off. 'What would these finished products be, cousin Dun? Medicines? This intrigues me. You will explain your plan.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2020, 06:55:50 am »

Dun looks uncharacteristically concerned. "Aw. Are you deficient in some manner?" She leans in to inspect him in more detail. "It's true that you appear weak and sickly, but your flowers appear to be in good health. Hm... this may have implications on the quality of my judgement."

'Yes,' Qu says. He does not elaborate.
Dun frowns in contemplation. "Worrisome. Despite being a terrestrial-oceanic hybrid, you are the first terrestrial organism I've considered innately appealing here. Perhaps I should avoid terrestrial pairings in general, or acquire outside evaluation of some kind."

Qu looks thoughtful. 'I thought to give them to my followers... he says, trailing off. 'What would these finished products be, cousin Dun? Medicines? This intrigues me. You will explain your plan.'
"You may have noticed the brightly colored squid in my menagerie. I intend to modify them to produce a wide range of drugs, medicines, toxins, and other useful substances as directed by external stimuli. Then I intend to give them to my mortals, the otterfolk. The otterfolk are skilled physicians, and therefore should be able to properly massage their new livestock into producing whatever substances are most useful to them. They should also benefit greatly from easy access to medicines and drugs, as well as the means to fine-tune their exact qualities.

I believe that with your flowers, I would have a much broader sample set of medicinal qualities to draw on, and thus a much richer range of substances for my squid to produce."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2020, 08:22:56 am »

Dun frowns in contemplation. "Worrisome. Despite being a terrestrial-oceanic hybrid, you are the first terrestrial organism I've considered innately appealing here. Perhaps I should avoid terrestrial pairings in general, or acquire outside evaluation of some kind."

Qu appears to freeze for a moment, then proceeds into a panicked sort of bafflement. A little bit of red comes onto his pale features. 'Well. Um. That is to say. I am flattered?' he manages to say. The godling tries to center himself. 'You are... very strange, but you are appealing also. The nature of my... deficiency... does not prevent procreation. That is, I do not believe so. I have not ever... tried it. It is that I have reason to believe it will affect the results in ways that cannot be predicted and that I fear will impact the... offspring... in unfortunate ways.'

He hesitates. 'Perhaps at some point in the future? I must study the process.'

"You may have noticed the brightly colored squid in my menagerie. I intend to modify them to produce a wide range of drugs, medicines, toxins, and other useful substances as directed by external stimuli. Then I intend to give them to my mortals, the otterfolk. The otterfolk are skilled physicians, and therefore should be able to properly massage their new livestock into producing whatever substances are most useful to them. They should also benefit greatly from easy access to medicines and drugs, as well as the means to fine-tune their exact qualities.

I believe that with your flowers, I would have a much broader sample set of medicinal qualities to draw on, and thus a much richer range of substances for my squid to produce."

Qu nods. 'I see the value in this. Perhaps, in return, these otterfolk might share the medicines they craft with my followers, the Warriors of Light? They are to heal the people, cure the sick and weakened, and I foresee that they will need healing in battle as well. What would you offer me?'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2020, 08:58:03 am »

Age 1 Ending RP:
Saga of the Monkey
The Goddess blows and pops another bubble as she considers your personal question. "Heh... Goddess of light and compassion? I'm... like... flattered you think I could pull that off. No. My goals are not that lofty. I'm married, you see, to a much more powerful diety. But I cannot stand him, and he cannot stand me, so I was sent here to 'study' so... like... I would be out of his hair. Frankly I'm trying to delay my graduation and return home for as long as possible, but I think the administration is getting wise to me. They are more or less forcing me to knock out some required courses this term, including my teaching credit, so I hope you can find it in you to forgive me if I don't... like... always seem thrilled to be here. I'll... like... try my best to be welcoming for you though."

Elbakaespnu recognizes a situation when his multiple eyes sees one and wished to discussed further on this line of thinking before the class introduction stage would end. ”How interesting Teacher Bethany, do you not have any domains or spheres of influence that you can call yours?, you must with your seniority have an area that your proficient in, a God of Gum would be a sight to see would it not? Correspondingly Divine Politics must be difficult major to get into and complete as well, it also seems like this more powerful God you were married wasn’t on the best of terms for the both you and not mutual?, could you inquire us students with why you aren’t inclined with this deal, was this some sort of arranged alliance happened as a result of a pantheon of Gods or your progenitors?, not to be a bother, but relaying this information back to the student could help us empathize with you better allowing for a more smoother time during these classes for all of us.

As well, almost didn’t get this question, but would this course improve the general efficacy or in laygod’s terms the success rate of our interactions when we perform them if we complete this course?. It seems these classes are more of testing our skill as a god, then improving ourselves in the areas we chosen, well except for the knowledge we gain from these classes along the way.”

Saga of the Dragon:
Duke Azazel hears you out completely before speaking. "You terms are acceptable, my lord, and I will hold my end of the bargain to the best of my ability, but there are a few things that I fear may complicate whatever agenda you have for me. First off, my lands are a sparsely populated frontier. Almost half my population are soldiers and their families sent from elsewhere in the nation specifically to keep the 72nd out. Many of these men might dessert or rebel when they find out they are to align with the White Locusts. The civilian population I do have consists of ranchers, miners, brave souls intent on exploring the wastes, and warlocks of dubious morality who wish to avoid the scrutiny of more civilized places. As people are so spread out, crime is rare, and justice is regional. The people are more likely to group up and kill a criminal than turn them in to rot in my dungeons. As such I cannot promise you will find the amount of ne're-do-wells I can offer you satisfactory."

He frowns a bit when talking about my family. "I would rather have Lady Jasmina herself as my heir, than one of my children by her. She is close kin as well as my concubine, and thus in the line of succession. She is an adult, and still of childbearing age. We have six children together. Three of whom are not yet adults, and one of whom has been married off outside of the family. Neither of the remaining two possible heris dwell on my lands; each is off studying in the more civilized parts of the Kingdom."

"As for my wife" Lord Azazel spits on the floor, "we are estranged because throughout our entire childbearing years, she only gave me one son, whom I'm fairly confident is actually the son of a former family servant. She is bullheaded, and is trying to get involved in the civil war, Supporting the Ironbone Party. It is bad enough that she seized my fort, but I fear her meddling will bring the civil war to my lands. My 'son' by her is likewise involved in the conflict. I believe he is off leading troops somewhere else in the Kingdom."

He pauses for breath. "As for the civil war, the three sons who claim the throne are an infant, dead, and a cripple respectively. Whichever side actually wins will likely squabble amounts itself to try and pick a leader once the war concludes. I'm honestly not entirely sure who is calling the shots for any of the groups; when their diplomats visit they prefer to make demands rather than share information. The three factions are called The Ironbones, the True Crowns, and the True Thrones. The True Crowns support the infant son, and are sponsored by Hitchly, the Goddess of law that the old king worshiped. The True Thrones support the children of the dead son, and are sponsored by Tiāntáng, a frightening god of graveyards and skeletons. The Ironbones support the crippled son, and are supported by Hōngzhàjī, an interloping foreign god made of metal and worshiped by the dwarven kingdom that sits beyond the sea beyond the wastes."

Duke Azazel scratches his head. "I doubt we will know much of any faction's philosophy until they win the war and get their act together politically. Personally, I despise the Ironbones because my wife supports them."

”Whelp my subservient Azazel it is now time to tell after interfering with the composition and quality of my troops of the future war plans, I have reached the conclusion that myself will be busy with my own studies in the next Age and my troops haven’t reached their full-power of the mutations that they can gather up until then, so from here-out as I will relay to their leader that they will serve as a defending force for your four forts against your Queen forces and the civil war soldiers, and no siege or interaction with the fifth keep or the lands of the Kingdom will be attacked for the next period of time until I am available. I understand with my supreme power over all-knowledge that the 72nd Infantry and the Garrison of yours have animosity towards each other, and shall make sure they are not near your forces when they set-up their ambushes, just make sure to have your men not knock their arrows against the mutants or attack them with their defending.

That is only the bad news from me, that I am too busy for the next Age of time to begin the reclamation efforts or conquering of the land of Men, but I bring good news before I take aloft Duke. The fifth fort of your precious or rather hated Queen Mira, and her men are now suffering horrible unpreventable nightmares and mysterious dreams because of me, and the way for her retinue of her castle, herself, and that child “heir” to stop them is accept Elbakaepsnu as their ruler, take this information how you wish, but if given the opportunity you may relay this information to the people of that fort if you desire as well for their surrender.

Now vassal, have comfort that my forces will be on guard duty for your forts, but do remember that those is betray a God can not only lose their lives in the process, but their very souls and the souls of their relatives, and take this knowledge to the grave if even a thought of disloyalty comes to your mind.”

And with that, Elbakaespnu goes aloft and returns back to the Academy to wait for the next age.

Age 2 Actions:

Saga of the Tiger: Attend Leadership I: Mortal Combat Tactics (Extra Effort)

Use an Interaction to plop and fetch Alpha Huntress into the Pit Fights for the class this age

Saga of the Monkey: Attend Introduction to Worldly Interactions: (Ulterior Motive: Flirt/Schmooze with Bethany 8) )

Use an Interaction to search for this Queen Ant, and attempt to gain an audience with it, digging tunnels throughout the farm to find her location as an unorthodox way to find her.

Put at least one Miracle into the Miracle Bank
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:00:45 am by Shadowclaw777 »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2020, 12:01:34 pm »

Saga of the Pig

Koaring is disappointed but hardly surprised to watch his Gourd begin the early stages of decomposition. It would just be one more mistake this Age.

On the positive(?) side it does illustrate the problem before him. Although the rot setting in has far more to do with the physical gourd, it is easy to romanticize it as an emblem of the evil corruption that still glows from within. Baba Yāo fù had said in her parting words that she feeds on the suffering of mortals, that she felt it as a compulsion. Such a life is anathema to the son of the guardian spirit Jaleniniqel, and to one extent or another the whole of his pantheon. Koaring still feels the temptation, the sickly reassurance that once he partakes of the Hags' corruption he won't mind it any longer. Yet he finds that each moment he resists makes the next moment easier to get through. That he would be unpained after his transformation is only a speculation, his current horror is very present in his mind.

Now he only needs to invent a way to free his daughter from the same corruption, preferably without becoming an enemy of Baba Yāo fù or fighting her directly against the malus of her hexes.

Yeah. Only.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2020, 01:00:37 pm »

[Still in Age 1, some time post-Saga of the Horse]
There was a thing to consider, and it involved Koaring. So the nameless god sought them out while they weren't busy, and sought to discuss a - potentially rather inconsequential - matter with them.
Chet said we could share a collection and grade. Do you want to?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:05:15 pm by Glass »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2020, 01:37:58 pm »

Qu appears to freeze for a moment, then proceeds into a panicked sort of bafflement. A little bit of red comes onto his pale features. 'Well. Um. That is to say. I am flattered?' he manages to say. The godling tries to center himself. 'You are... very strange, but you are appealing also. The nature of my... deficiency... does not prevent procreation. That is, I do not believe so. I have not ever... tried it. It is that I have reason to believe it will affect the results in ways that cannot be predicted and that I fear will impact the... offspring... in unfortunate ways.'

He hesitates. 'Perhaps at some point in the future? I must study the process.'
Dun nods approvingly. "Some flawed projects may be salvaged with effort. I look forward to hearing of your results."

Qu nods. 'I see the value in this. Perhaps, in return, these otterfolk might share the medicines they craft with my followers, the Warriors of Light? They are to heal the people, cure the sick and weakened, and I foresee that they will need healing in battle as well. What would you offer me?'
"Hm... I have no objection to granting your mortals rights to some of mine's medicines and expertise, but I suspect our mortals are far apart. It may be difficult for yours to collect their dues in such an instance. I likewise do not object to borrowing or claiming some as combat physicians, but so far as I know they are not magically inclined.

I do know of a magically inclined race of mortals- Abyssal Wizards under the control of the venerable Húndàn. However, I do not know if combat healing is one of their specialties, and they are aquatic by nature. I doubt they would be able to serve the purpose you desire, even if Húndàn were willing to sell either of us any.

However, I do have plans to ingratiate myself with Húndàn and his possessions, and so may gain greater access to associated opportunities. If you wish to acquire a tutor to teach your own mortals healing magic, you could attempt to barter with Húndàn directly or have me negotiate in your stead. I also intend to acquire offspring from one of them; if this works out especially well, I might have magically inclined spares to sell to you, possibly tutored by their magically inclined kin in the desired healing arts. Either of these options would likely be more valuable than the flowers, however, and require both time to come to fruition and additional payment.

Likewise, I could assemble servants for you from scratch or other materials. My specialty is golems made from organic materials, but I can adjust wild living things or inorganic golems well enough. Some assistants to help you with your project should be easy enough. A fully capable servant to act independently on your behalf would be considerably more difficult and valuable, as before.

Finally, I am planning to employ Koaring to find a suitable gift to bribe Húndàn with, so if you have any business with him we may be able to resolve things conveniently. I could pay him to acquire something for myself as well as you, the two of you could share ownership of infrequently used golems, and so on."

Saga of the Pig

Koaring is disappointed but hardly surprised to watch his Gourd begin the early stages of decomposition. It would just be one more mistake this Age.

On the positive(?) side it does illustrate the problem before him. Although the rot setting in has far more to do with the physical gourd, it is easy to romanticize it as an emblem of the evil corruption that still glows from within. Baba Yāo fù had said in her parting words that she feeds on the suffering of mortals, that she felt it as a compulsion. Such a life is anathema to the son of the guardian spirit Jaleniniqel, and to one extent or another the whole of his pantheon. Koaring still feels the temptation, the sickly reassurance that once he partakes of the Hags' corruption he won't mind it any longer. Yet he finds that each moment he resists makes the next moment easier to get through. That he would be unpained after his transformation is only a speculation, his current horror is very present in his mind.

Now he only needs to invent a way to free his daughter from the same corruption, preferably without becoming an enemy of Baba Yāo fù or fighting her directly against the malus of her hexes.

Yeah. Only.
Dun approaches Koaring when next he seems relatively balanced.

"You are a feral beast-god, yes? Well suited to foraging for raw materials?

If so, I would value your services. I require a suitably flattering gift for a greater power- something valuable, from the surface world rather than the depths of the sea, and ideally magical or well suited to equipping mortal hosts. Or else a raw material to be crafted into such a gift.

In exchange I could craft or conjure you something, or perhaps you have some interest in my menagerie or some of its contents?"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:01:46 pm by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2020, 02:25:05 pm »

Age 1 Ending RP:
Saga of the Monkey
The Goddess blows and pops another bubble as she considers your personal question. "Heh... Goddess of light and compassion? I'm... like... flattered you think I could pull that off. No. My goals are not that lofty. I'm married, you see, to a much more powerful diety. But I cannot stand him, and he cannot stand me, so I was sent here to 'study' so... like... I would be out of his hair. Frankly I'm trying to delay my graduation and return home for as long as possible, but I think the administration is getting wise to me. They are more or less forcing me to knock out some required courses this term, including my teaching credit, so I hope you can find it in you to forgive me if I don't... like... always seem thrilled to be here. I'll... like... try my best to be welcoming for you though."

Elbakaespnu recognizes a situation when his multiple eyes sees one and wished to discussed further on this line of thinking before the class introduction stage would end. ”How interesting Teacher Bethany, do you not have any domains or spheres of influence that you can call yours?, you must with your seniority have an area that your proficient in, a God of Gum would be a sight to see would it not? Correspondingly Divine Politics must be difficult major to get into and complete as well, it also seems like this more powerful God you were married wasn’t on the best of terms for the both you and not mutual?, could you inquire us students with why you aren’t inclined with this deal, was this some sort of arranged alliance happened as a result of a pantheon of Gods or your progenitors?, not to be a bother, but relaying this information back to the student could help us empathize with you better allowing for a more smoother time during these classes for all of us.

As well, almost didn’t get this question, but would this course improve the general efficacy or in laygod’s terms the success rate of our interactions when we perform them if we complete this course?. It seems these classes are more of testing our skill as a god, then improving ourselves in the areas we chosen, well except for the knowledge we gain from these classes along the way.”

"Divine Politics, which I specialize in, is less about your own... like powers or domains or whatever. Its more about understanding what needs to be done, and getting other gods to do it. Lots of... Like... Pantheons have gods that rarely interact with the mortal world, and handle stuff behind the scenes. Bureaucrats, diplomats, organizers and the like." Bethany blows another bubble. "Like... Some divine politics students even completely abandon their mortals. Not me though. I still have a few. I look after them and... like... help keep the peace with the other gods worshiped by mortals in the city where mine dwell... but I wouldn't say I.. like... have a domain. I guess I encourage them to practice travel and infidelity... so maybe those?"

The Goddess gives the other students a glance. "Honestly, I wouldn't call the Divine Politics program... like... difficult. Well it could be. It isn't fair is what it isn't. How far you can go often depends on how cooperative your class mates are." She scratches her head. "There are students far less talented than me, who get better grades in Divine Politics because their class has been a tight knight unit, almost a pantheon in and of itself, since arriving at the academy. Me... well... I... Like... have to waste alot of time and energy searching for gods to work with. I get along with the rest of my class well enough, but we all, like, do our own thing."

"But yeah... My marriage was arranged." Bethany explains, "My older brother overthrew and slew my father, and arranged for all his siblings to marry out of his realm to remove potential rivals to his new throne. I'm grateful he didn't just... like... have us all killed, or force his sisters into an incestuous harem, but the husband I wound up with... just isn't a good match for me. Ya know?"

"As for the course itself," The goddess says reverting back to a grin, "This one is indeed more of a test, yes. Some students may learn a thing or two, but the main purpose here is to prove that you are... like... worthy of taking lessons on more advanced, specific, and difficult forms of interaction in a future term."

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2020, 02:45:41 pm »

[Still in Age 1, some time post-Saga of the Horse]
There was a thing to consider, and it involved Koaring. So the nameless god sought them out while they weren't busy, and sought to discuss a - potentially rather inconsequential - matter with them.
Chet said we could share a collection and grade. Do you want to?

Koaring is startled by his classmate's approach, lost in his own problems as he has been. "The course. Right. Uh, I hadn't thought that far ahead, to be honest. On the one hand," raising his upper right arm, "my first thought was that it feels unfair to the older student, but by virtue of being more advanced perhaps she is more accomplished. And I fancy myself a decent enough collector, perhaps having you ride along would be unfair to me? On the other hand," switching to his left arm, "it's only the first week and already I find myself in trouble balancing coursework and aiding my followers. It couldn't hurt to have help. Then there's the other other hand," lifting up his lower right arm, "and that is that I hardly know you one way or the other. You were very quiet at the welcome banquet, I recall."

"I propose a test of cooperation short of sharing a final grade. If we are both satisfied with the result, then we will still have a chance to inform Court Scholar Chet before the Term is up. He said that storage and presentation would be part of the grade, and I would feel less selfish about using one of our empty areas if I were sharing with a classmate. What say you we collaborate on sprucing one of them up and see how well our partnership works?"

"I am occupied for the rest of this Age but early in the next could work, before our next class is held. I was thinking of looking around the Academy grounds for unused furniture that could be made into display cases and cabinets. Also, that menagerie Dun made could hold some living samples depending on what we gather."

Dun approaches Koaring when next he seems relatively balanced.

"You are a feral beast-god, yes? Well suited to foraging for raw materials?

If so, I would value your services. I require a suitably flattering gift for a greater power- something valuable, from the surface world rather than the depths of the sea, and ideally magical or well suited to equipping mortal hosts. Or else a raw material to be crafted into such a gift.

In exchange I could craft or conjure you something, or perhaps you have some interest in my menagerie or some of its contents?"

Koaring narrows his eyes at Dun, but as far as he can read her transparent face she doesn't seem insulting, just matter-of-fact. "Have you been speaking with the nameless god? Never mind, it doesn't matter. Yes, I have an interest in your menagerie: my coursework in Resource Acquisition unsurprisingly involves acquiring things. I had meant to ask if I, or we since the nameless god is also taking the course, could use it to store some of our samples. I expect it will be mostly plants, since the course is subtitled 'Plants and Minerals.' As for repaying the favor I can keep an eye open for anything matching that description. But I was hoping to save the choicest items to bolster my own grade. Do you think this greater power of yours would be upset with only the second or third best thing a freshman god can scrounge up?"

"And, for the future, I do not care to be called 'feral.' Those who have done so in the past did not mean it kindly. Nor do I enjoy the idea that, having refused your request to breed a lackey, you are now trying to use me directly in the same capacity. I will find what I find, and for now there is enough space to go around that an arrangement for the menagerie is more convenience than necessity. Although I do remember that we agreed to help each other with Miracles class as well. That obligation also binds us, for now."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2020, 05:57:38 pm »

Koaring narrows his eyes at Dun, but as far as he can read her transparent face she doesn't seem insulting, just matter-of-fact. "Have you been speaking with the nameless god? Never mind, it doesn't matter. Yes, I have an interest in your menagerie: my coursework in Resource Acquisition unsurprisingly involves acquiring things. I had meant to ask if I, or we since the nameless god is also taking the course, could use it to store some of our samples. I expect it will be mostly plants, since the course is subtitled 'Plants and Minerals.' As for repaying the favor I can keep an eye open for anything matching that description. But I was hoping to save the choicest items to bolster my own grade. Do you think this greater power of yours would be upset with only the second or third best thing a freshman god can scrounge up?"

"And, for the future, I do not care to be called 'feral.' Those who have done so in the past did not mean it kindly. Nor do I enjoy the idea that, having refused your request to breed a lackey, you are now trying to use me directly in the same capacity. I will find what I find, and for now there is enough space to go around that an arrangement for the menagerie is more convenience than necessity. Although I do remember that we agreed to help each other with Miracles class as well. That obligation also binds us, for now."

Dun blanches at his response. She probably should have remembered that beast-things were often touchy and easily riled, but what was everyone here's aversion to reproduction? Maybe she should have just cloned herself after all...

"I was uncertain whether you would object to peripheral involvement in reproductive activities, and will avoid implicating you in the future. If you would rather preserve your collection and avoid entanglement with such a matter, I would also be willing to share ownership of the menagerie in exchange for improvements to it or shared use of a room that is similarly useful to me."

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2020, 07:00:22 pm »

Dun blanches at his response. She probably should have remembered that beast-things were often touchy and easily riled, but what was everyone here's aversion to reproduction? Maybe she should have just cloned herself after all...

"I was uncertain whether you would object to peripheral involvement in reproductive activities, and will avoid implicating you in the future. If you would rather preserve your collection and avoid entanglement with such a matter, I would also be willing to share ownership of the menagerie in exchange for improvements to it or shared use of a room that is similarly useful to me."

"It may be best if we stick to joint projects for now. I'd like to consult with the other one, but you may expect improvements to your menagerie or a new purpose room early next age, I think. The other matter, it costs me much time devoted to your gain. I do not know how you can help me similarly."

Koaring hesitates, suddenly struck by the idea that Dun – or anyone else – could confront Baba Yāo fù without the penalty of the hex she's laid on him. But no, the Hag is a wily opponent and he's not about to subject Dun to the same risk without far better planning. "If I should discover a want for something that touches on your specialties I hope we can revisit the topic without prejudice. Reproduce as you wish; but I am in no position to accept yet another responsibility."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2020, 09:02:36 pm »

"It may be best if we stick to joint projects for now. I'd like to consult with the other one, but you may expect improvements to your menagerie or a new purpose room early next age, I think. The other matter, it costs me much time devoted to your gain. I do not know how you can help me similarly."

Koaring hesitates, suddenly struck by the idea that Dun – or anyone else – could confront Baba Yāo fù without the penalty of the hex she's laid on him. But no, the Hag is a wily opponent and he's not about to subject Dun to the same risk without far better planning. "If I should discover a want for something that touches on your specialties I hope we can revisit the topic without prejudice. Reproduce as you wish; but I am in no position to accept yet another responsibility."
Dun bows her head. "Then we are in agreement for now."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2020, 10:18:14 pm »

"I propose a test of cooperation short of sharing a final grade. If we are both satisfied with the result, then we will still have a chance to inform Court Scholar Chet before the Term is up. He said that storage and presentation would be part of the grade, and I would feel less selfish about using one of our empty areas if I were sharing with a classmate. What say you we collaborate on sprucing one of them up and see how well our partnership works?"

"I am occupied for the rest of this Age but early in the next could work, before our next class is held. I was thinking of looking around the Academy grounds for unused furniture that could be made into display cases and cabinets. Also, that menagerie Dun made could hold some living samples depending on what we gather."
That sounds like a wonderful idea! Though I am not wonderful at decoration.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2020, 07:37:38 am »

That sounds like a wonderful idea! Though I am not wonderful at decoration.
"I would not call it my specialty either! But we do not learn in what areas we have talents until we try it, sometimes." Koaring turns somber for a moment, adding, "Or in what endeavors we have too high an opinion of ourselves."

Koaring has suggestions for inspiration but tries to steer the conversation toward his companion taking the lead on the building project after they find some supplies.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13