Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Academy of the Young Gods (IC Thread)  (Read 18971 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Academy of the Young Gods (IC Thread)
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2020, 11:40:59 pm »

Dragon: [null] will use their Miracle and an Interaction to create a copse of Ironwood trees in the lands belonging to the Salvaged, and Lingbān in particular. These trees should grow like normal trees, but be made of iron, copper, and other relatively common metals, with small amounts of rarer metals such as gold, silver, and tin being in the cores of older trees. Their fruits, meanwhile, resemble wires bundled up like a ball of yarn, and are thoroughly packed with magic energy.

Horse: Resource acquisition lab. Enjoy nature! Not much of it has been seen thus far, and it is good to know more about it. Potentially set aside plans to gather plant specimens for the decoration of the dormitory.

Rooster: Introduction to mortal/divine communication. Listen attentively to the lesson, and to any other students; it is important to gather new information.

Dog: Use their remaining Interaction to expand the previously-created copse as much as possible. Alternatively, if there are problems with the trees (their creation didn't work very well, or Lingbān note some specific problem that needs remedying), work on breeding the trees to get them to an acceptable endpoint. (It's better to make sure the trees are how you want them to be before spreading them.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:56:25 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2020, 01:29:33 am »

Dun bows low to the Dolphin-God.

"I have intended to harvest oceanic organisms for some time. Your presence is most reassuring. If you would grace this one with your wisdom, might you explain the feasibility of crafting a servant to fetch and deliver things for me? I am uncertain how it could traverse the magma chamber."

She addresses her peers. "I intend to utilize one of the empty chambers as a menagerie to store and generate life for use as raw materials. If there is interest in communal facilities, I would recommend such a menagerie, a paradise-city to store mortal assistants, a foundry or forge to work inanimate materials, and either a golemarium to animate servants or a storage vault to secure materials.

If I were placed in charge of directing communal efforts, things would go much smoother than our current anarchy."

Saga of the Tiger
Miracle: Create a Menagerie in one of the four empty rooms, a place that sustains, nurtures, and encourages life within it to procreate. The idea is to have a replenishing supply of varied organisms to harvest for parts. Sea organisms are the primary idea, but ideally it can handle terrestrial life as well.
Interaction: Venture into the seas and coasts around Pai, and scoop up as much marine and coastal life as I can to dump into storage at the Academy

Saga of the Dragon
Attend Class: Mortal eugenics and biology

Saga of the Horse
Miracle->Interaction: Explore the lightless depths nearest to Pai. The deeper the better!
Miracle->Interaction: Search the lightless seafloors near Pai for whalefalls- particularly Dire Orcas- shipwrecks, and any other resources and the life attached to them to scoop up and drop into storage.

Saga of the Goat
Attend Class: Miracles
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2020, 05:10:33 am »

Saga of the Goat: Attend Class, Introduction to Divine Miracles

Saga of the Rabbit: Attend Class, Geography of the Plane of Qiángdà

Saga of the Horse: As promised and with lessons learned from his studies, Qu returns to the monks. His Interaction is to command them to venture down into the lands below to explore and find out what has happened during their long absence. He will join them and learn with them of this world - his presence hopefully discouraging others from attacking them as they do.

Saga of the Monkey: The Warriors of Light must redeem themselves and reclaim their place in the world. They are to help the helpless, vanquish evil and restore the land to prosperity and greatness. This cannot be done from a mountaintop. On Qu's divine command, a Miracle takes shape: with a great shaking of earth and a thunderous rumble, the temple sprouts legs of stone and climbs off the cliffside. If all goes as planned, it will descend down from the mountains and begin roaming the earth, so the monks may better discover where and how they are needed. This new Temple of Hope (and Crab Legs) will spread the Light wherever it goes. This demands an Interaction as well. Inexperienced as he is, grasping for the power to accomplish this, Qu unknowingly draws upon the Power of the Void in the endeavour...

Saga of the Pig: Qu visits the shores of Lake Línshí and attempts to grow life as his foster mother taught him. This Miracle of the Ten Hundred Blooms seeks to create divinely empowered flowers which can each heal a different illness, wound or malady of spirit or flesh. He will gather up these flowers should they bloom as intended.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2020, 10:03:46 am »

Saga of the Ox
Koaring journeys to Peanut Village and checks in briefly with his follower(s) there. His intent, though, is to spend an Interaction hunting for one of the Hags of the foul forest and challenging it in combat. He plans to take the path to the mines first, then make a radiating search pattern as necessary. His Wandering Nose may detect other signs of corruption and its sources along the way, but his target is the Hag.

Saga of the Horse
Attend Class: Resource Lab 1

Saga of the Goat
Attend Class: Divine Miracles

Saga of the Rooster
Eager to apply his newfound knowledge of miracles, Koaring performs a strengthening Interaction + Miracle on the crops and fields of Peanut Village. (His plan is to spend bits of the Miracle unit on several individual plots, hoping to qualify for the 'tedious / diligence' bonus.) If the hunt for the Hag yielded useful specifics, then he will attempt direct counters; and if that result is unsatisfactory Koaring will go ahead and use his second Miracle as well. If the hunt for the Hag was not successful, he will spend only one total miracle on a spell of general beneficence such as he watched his father do many times.

If Koaring has a Miracle remaining in this Age he will contribute it to the Bank.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:53:10 am by mightymushroom »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »

Dun bows low to the Dolphin-God.

"I have intended to harvest oceanic organisms for some time. Your presence is most reassuring. If you would grace this one with your wisdom, might you explain the feasibility of crafting a servant to fetch and deliver things for me? I am uncertain how it could traverse the magma chamber."

Chet considers the question for a moment. "Good question Kiddo! Passage through the magma chamber usually requires either a spark of the divine, or the assistance of someone who possesses it! So short version is that you would need to figure out a way to make a god. Of course, there are other ways into and out of the academy... There is a class offered only to Prefects that covers some of the secrets of this place. It is also possible to design an airship capable of breaching the magma chamber. The Emperor himself usually teaches the class on airship design. That is one of the many awesome classes that become avaible to you once you pass the boring slog that is Mortal Artifice 1."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2020, 06:55:06 pm »

Dun considers the guide's response for only a few moments before asking another simple question. "Would breeding two gods suffice to create an entity capable of traversing the magma?"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2020, 06:57:05 pm »

The nameless student perks up at reference to "Mortal Artifice 1".
Could you go into further detail regarding that class?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2020, 07:42:36 pm »

Dun considers the guide's response for only a few moments before asking another simple question. "Would breeding two gods suffice to create an entity capable of traversing the magma?"

Chet opens his mouth to answer, but is stopped dead by a glare from Professor Yínfà. "Staff are not allowed to encourage student involvement in procreative or sexual activity until said student has reached the appropriate point in their studies of Genesis or Divine Politics."

The nameless student perks up at reference to "Mortal Artifice 1".
Could you go into further detail regarding that class?

The dolphin headed god shrugs. "Not much to say about it. Just a bunch of boring busywork to optimize and organize the worship of your mortal followers. Important if you want to get into the sort of lesser magics that mortals practice."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2020, 08:10:11 pm »

Chet opens his mouth to answer, but is stopped dead by a glare from Professor Yínfà. "Staff are not allowed to encourage student involvement in procreative or sexual activity until said student has reached the appropriate point in their studies of Genesis or Divine Politics."
"I understand. Barring further orders, it is likely I will experiment with such methods prior to completing those studies."

The dolphin headed god shrugs. "Not much to say about it. Just a bunch of boring busywork to optimize and organize the worship of your mortal followers. Important if you want to get into the sort of lesser magics that mortals practice."
"Oh? Does that cover mortal enchantment and alterations of flesh?"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2020, 08:41:07 pm »

"Oh? Does that cover mortal enchantment and alterations of flesh?"

Chet shrugs. "It could. Personally I wouldn't delegate that stuff to mortals, but you could."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2020, 09:15:53 pm »

Elbakaepsnu looks at the response from the head of the academy, and makes a erratic laughing noise from its body and than responds with a quip as his statement. ”While intriguing nonetheless, the only thing I see is that it’s not to be encouraged, are their any ruling or policing even disciplinary measures taken from the higher ups if to say freshman gods were to interfere with the recreation efforts with other mortals or gods?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2020, 07:59:10 am »

Koaring gives a short laugh. "Be assured, Professor, whatever encouragement I may feel is due to a goddess named Lakkak of my former home and not from any word on the part of the Academy instructors."

"Neither boredom nor busywork interests me, but some magic could benefit my followers in pushing back the nearby corruption. I will have to keep that in mind for next term."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2020, 03:04:38 am »

Term 17010, Age 1:

Saga of the Rat -

Following Professor Yínfà homeroom meeting, the young gods do little save explore their immediate quarters.

Saga of the Ox -

Koaring is the first of the students to venture forth on his own into the mortal world. Arriving in Peanut village his goal is simple; Hunt a hag. Following the pathways into the woods that the villagers would take to the mines, he is quick to pick up the scent of a corrupt creature. The scent leads Koaring to humanoid footprints. The footprints lead Koaring to a strange hut decorated with still-beating hearts.

Bursting through the door, the god sets eyes upon his quarry, and is surprised by what he sees; Father had always said that hags were hideous creatures, but that is clearly not the case here. Aside from a few scars, birthmarks, and warts, the creature before Koaring is a reasonably attractive young woman. Her hair is reddish-brown, skin is fair, and her face is freckled. She sits on the only piece of furniture in the hut, a large bale of hay, wearing nothing but a sultry smile. Koaring is briefly taken aback, and then blown away when she opens her legs, causing the overwhelming aroma of a female bear in heat to waft throughout the hut. Wordlessly, she beckons the god to approach, and at that moment Koaring's desire to fight the hag completely evaporates...

You spend what must amount to several mortal months in the hag's embrace, your time split almost evenly between carnal relations with your host, feasting on the game meat she provides, and enjoying a deep, dreamless slumber. You are pretty sure you are under some sort of enchantment, but you do not really care; For perhaps the first time since leaving your father, you are content. You divulge to her all your deepest secrets and desires, and in return only learn her name: Baba Yāo fù.

Eventually the day comes that you must leave. Baba Yāo fù leads you outside the hut, and offers you a sad smile. "I wish I could keep you forever, Koaring, but Shizi would destroy me if I were to keep you from your studies. My kind feeds on the misery of mortals, so spending time with you, a being my hunger does not compel me to torment, was a lovely change of pace."

She pulls you in for a deep kiss, and then whispers sinister into your ear. "But make no mistake. You are now at a disadvantage in your fight against the corruption of this place. Not only are you smitten with me, but you have given me a daughter. Unless you choose to stand at her side and walk the path of corruption, our child will become your greatest rival!"

Baba Yāo fù pulls away from you and offers a teasing grin. "Feel free to track me down again any time you wish to get in bed with your enemy..."

Natural 100 Ultimate Critical Failure! Koaring is now enthralled by Baba Yāo fù, and suffers both a -25% penalty to action success rate, and a -50% penalty to combat power when attempting direct hostile action against her.

Koaring has shared his secrets with the Hags! He now suffers a -10% penalty to action success rate when doing anything to directly combat the local corruption or monsters around Peanut Village.

Baba Yāo fù will bear and raise Koaring's daughter! Unless Koaring manages to interfere in her upbringing or falls to evil himself, she will become a dangerous foe in due time!

Saga of the Tiger -

The hallways of the Academy are a poorly marked labyrinth with little rhyme or reason to them. Elbakaepsnu cannot help but note that they remind him just a bit of his parent X’arilyg's inscrutable realm. After following the posted travel directions for hours, he eventually arrives at his destination. The observatory is a massive pristine room with a domed ceiling. The walls and ceiling are the color of the purest snow, while the floor is an only slightly darker off-white. The only feature of the chamber is a collection of divine creatures standing in the center, whom you correctly assume to be your instructor and fellow students. Joining up with them, you mill aimlessly for a short span of time while your last few classmates filter in, before the strongest creature in the group, a mighty translucent dragoness seemingly crafted from emerald, speaks. Her voice is shockingly soft and timid for one of her power and vocation.

"Greetings students. You may call me Professor Núlì. This is my first term here at the Academy of Divine Harmony, and I have been tasked by the headmaster to teach you all the means by which mortals, both weak and mighty, fight and defend themselves. The purpose of this instruction is so that you may lead and organize your own mortals to protect what you have given them, or what they have obtained and achieved in your name."

The Dragoness pauses for a moment to glance at the ceiling, before continuing. "This term we will cover at least four topics: Combat between individual mortals, maneuvers and tactics of mortals in a small group, pitched battle, and military logistics. If time allows, we might also explore the weapons and tactics employed by lesser mortals of bestial intelligence."

Professor Núlì then admits that she is new to The Plane of Qiángdà, and invites the older students of the class to give examples of notable fighters or militarizes within the realm. As each army or fighter is named, moving images of the actor in battle appear on the walls and ceiling of the observatory. You spend a majority of the class watching various duels and battles, and trying to figure out which students are showing off their own followers, and which are just naming well known names.

One student, a god made from metal and stone not unlike your nameless classmate, catches your attention by naming The Alpha Huntress. Your follower appears on the ceiling. She moves silently and with grace, singlehandly exterminating a camp of several dozen humans, alternating between her one handed crossbow and natural weapons. Masterfully, she avoids raising any alarms. You note the student who named her watches the footage carefully and without outward emotion. You wonder how the automaton knows of her.

The instructor speaks again briefly at the end of the class session. "Next age will will start our unit on single combat. I think we will begin with some live demonstrations. One tenth a point of extra credit to any of you brave enough to bring one of your mortal belongings for some pit fights next age! I'll bring academy healers to undo any permanent maiming or death that may occur."

And with that, the headmaster indeed falls into a speech that you have indeed more or less heard before.

---

Dun sets up camp in one of the empty chambers near the class living area, and sets about building it into a proper menagerie for the wet storage of spare parts and components for her projects. This proves to be a bit more difficult than the young goddess expects it to be; In the past she could rely on prerendered construction materials from her father's factory-temples when building large inorganic things, but now Dun must expend divine energy and effort to produce the glass and steel and water she needs herself. It takes quite a bit of work, and leaves Dun at the brink of exhaustion, but eventually the task is complete.

The menagerie is rather basic. It should keep living animal materials alive, and allow them to breed at such a rate to cover any deaths by natural causes, but will require an expenditure of divine energy or manual labor performing husbandry work if Dun or her peers with to increase the population and value of a captive species.

Success! Dun may name the location of her stored animal resources as 'menagerie' when listing them on the Register of Known Things. Resources in the menagerie will not decay unless used. Until such a time as security measures are installed, other students in the class may access the menagerie and resources within as they see fit!

Satisfied with her work, and needing a swim to recharge her batteries, Dun sets off for the mortal world and throws herself into the ocean near Pai! After a few mortal days of aimless swimming, Dun feels ready to search for and collect some local sealife.

First she checks out the polluted harbor, and true to Elder High Oyster's word find only a single species of shellfish; A bland looking beige scallop farmed on the underwater banks of the peninsula on which her new toys dwell.

Moving on from the harbor to the open sea, Dun is quick to spot a species that draws her attention; A giant insect that looks to be a relative of the preying mantis, judging by its terrifying mandibles, green exoskeleton, and alien looking eyes. This creature, however, seems to have evolved or been created to fill the ecological of the sea-lion, as it possesses the flippers and otherwise follows the general bodyplan of the piniped.

The next animal Dun comes across is a large and vibrant squid colored red, yellow, and black. Dwelling in the ocean's twilight zone, between the bright shallows and comfortable abyss, they travel in family groups of six to twelve, and logic would dictate that their coloration either advertises or bluffs a venom dangerous to other mortal beings.

Lastly, on her way back to the surface to return to the Academy grounds, Dun looks to the sky and notices large flocks of jet black seabirds. Upon closer inspection, they are not dissimilar to the osprey that live off the shore of father's continent, but even if the birds are rather mundane, Dun knows that wings are a valuable part to keep on hand for projects.

Success! Dun found four resources: Navy Scallop, Harbor Mantis, Danger Squid, and Black Osprey. She may carry a total resource value of 20 back to storage! She may divide that 20 up however she pleases (eg. 3 Scallop, 7 Mantis, 5 Squid, 5 Osprey), but the value of no individual resource may surpass 15.

Saga of the Rabbit -

To reach the headmaster's dockyard, Qu retraces his steps to the docks where The Emperor first dropped the class off, and then jumps into the seeming bottomless shaft using a nominal amount of divine power to control his fall. After quite a bit of time passes, Qu approaches the bottom of the shaft. Floating several hundred yards above said bottom is a series of criss-crossing docks that stretches nearly the entire length and width of the shaft. Docked at the docks is a huge collection of flying vessels, of all shapes, sizes, and build materials. Landing on the docks, it is a simple matter of following the signage to Vessel 32, a craft shaped like a longboat complete with decrotive oars, where The Emperor of Scholars and a small group of other students await.

The Emperor is dressed in robes that are far more simple and modest than the ones that adorned him at the time of your last meeting. The mask on his face today, although elegant, is made of simple wood, and the voice from underneath it is softer than you remember. "Greetings students. In this context, you may call me Headmaster Jiangxuéjīn. Welcome to my collection of ships. This one was given to me as payment by a god of pillage for admitting his son to the academy, but many of the vessels you see were built by me or given as gifts of friendship by graduated former students."

The Emperor stomps his foot softly on the deck of the ship. The chains holding it to the dock fall away, and it begins to rise upward through the shaft. "This term, we will be riding this ship, exploring the features of this world I made, enjoying each other's company, and partaking in scholarly discussion. In most of the courses I teach, I demand high levels of excellence, and am thus quite strict with grades, but this is not the case here. Nobody here truly needs to learn about the Geography of The Plane of Qiángdà. A handful of you could hardly care less about the topic. Some of you are genuinely interested in quizzing a veteran creator god about the details of his creation. Some of you have had courses with me before, and enjoy learning directly under my tutelage. Some of you have heard this is an easy class, and are looking to improve their grades. Some of you have heard stories of my might and wish to try and gain my favor. Some of you are new or unsure of yourselves as students, and seek judgement and assurance from a being known as The Emperor of Scholars. All of these are valid and worthy reasons to take this course, and I look forward to accommodating you all."

The emperor pauses a moment, as if lost in thought, before continuing. "Our first voyage may be boring to some of you. We will explore the Zhùdìng Funnel and Lake Línshí, and I will give more or less the same information I gave you all when you first arrived at the Academy. As today's lecture is not new information, you are all free to interrupt with questions at any point."

And with that, the headmaster indeed falls into a speech that you have more or less heard before.

Saga of the Dragon -

It takes a bit of trail and error to find, but eventually Dun reaches the Archive of Mortal Qiángdàn Lineage, an impressive library that covers an area thrice the size of The City of Pai with shelves several stories high. The place is well staffed with Skeletal former mortals animated by powerful magics, creatures that your father would call liches back home. Despite lacking a true spark of divinity, many of these undead archivists approach or even exceed your strength. You find one of the weaker ones, and demand it lead you to classroom 1. It complies without complaint.

The classroom is like those in your father's re-education camps, minus the restraints. There are desks and chairs facing the front of the room, where the instructor, or in this case instructors, stand. You recognize Court Scholar Chet from when he burst into your homeroom meeting, but are unfamiliar with the powerful lich standing at his side. Chet speaks first. "Oi! Listen up! I only want to have to say this once! This fine skeletal lady standing beside me is High Archivist Jiāpu. In the early days of this Plane, she was a mighty mortal queen, who found a means to defy death so that she might play matchmaker for her descendants for all eternity. She did so for many generations, until her people were destroyed by factors beyond her control. Then she was brought here, and has been archiving the liniage of the various high houses of Qiángdà ever since. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who has worked at the academy longer than Jiāpu, save for the emperor himself and his blood relatives. I will not tolerate any of you disrespecting her just because she is not a god."

With that, Chet offers Jiāpu the floor, and the venerable lich speaks. "This class will be simple in structure and execution. When we meet, I will take you through case studies of mortal procreation and eugenics that I find interesting or of likely value to my class. In addition to humoring me on these lectures, you will each complete two predictive eugenics reports in which you will breed mortals of your choosing, and submit a written paper predicting and analyzing the traits of the offspring. You will be graded on your ability to predict and analyze the offspring's traits, and not on the usefulness of said offspring. Once you complete your two reports, you will be given your choice of a hands on final project, or a written final exam."

Jiāpu then gestures back to Chet. "As long as you are part of my course, this court scholar will be at your disposal. If you request his aid an age in advance, he can help you round up interesting mortals, provide divine assistant to otherwise incompatible mortal pairings, or provide any other service related to eugenics or your class assignments. Are there any questions for me or requests of Chet? If not, class dismissed. Nobody likes a lecture on the first day."

---

Elbakaepsnu soars to the civilized lands east of the Ashen Wastes. Upon arriving the Eldritch dragon-god makes a big show of circling one of the larger fortresses for several hours and bestowing minor corruptions upon the surrounding land, before landing on the tower, and demanding an audience with the local lord. Elba find it harder to warp his frame to physically fit through the doors of the fortress than it is to coerce the guards to grant him entry.

The lord of the fortress is an elderly and obese human, who introduces himself as Duke Azazel. It does not take much intimidation to secure his loyalty, as the man is not only a coward, but also facing the sort of problems that a mortal might turn to a god to solve. The Larger human nation, it turns out, is caught deep in the throws of civil war; The King was recently killed, and now the families of his three sons, each sponsored by a different deity, fight for the throne. Duke Azazel has thus far been able to maintain his neutrality by pointing out to the factions that attacking his forts, which all sit on the border of the Ashen Wastes, would allow The White Locusts of the 72nd Infantry the opportunity to strike into human lands. He worries, however, that eventually one of the warring factions will become desperate or ambitious enough send him an ultimatum, or even attack his lands without warning.

In addition to a civil war over a larger throne, the old human is also deeply concerned with the succession of his own title. Duke Azazel controls four of the five forts that border the Ashen Wastes. The fifth has been seized by his estranged wife Lady Mira, who seeks to give their only son the Ducal Title. Duke Azazel, however, doubts the legitimacy of Lady Mira's son. Instead, he would prefer to be succeeded by his niece and concubine Lady Jasmina, who is both the Duke's 'true love' and mother of the only children that he is confident are his own offspring.

"If you use your divine strength to protect my title and lands, I will serve you until my dying breath." He swears.

Success! You may RP with Duke Azazel to work out the details of his servitude.

---

{null} sets off to the ashen wastes, and quickly finds a suitable spot for its first project near one of the salvaged camps. The hardest part of the entire creation process is booting up the creation suite software. It quickly finds that whoever had modified its memory had also, perhaps accidently, uninstalled some key drivers and changed some hardware settings. The nameless god spends most of the saga, many mortal months, wandering the wasteland tinkering with its own subroutines before the creation suite finally launches!

Once running, the Creation Suite renders the design and implementation of the Ironwood Trees a trivial task. As the subroutines and printing hardware conclude their work, {null} finds itself standing in a copse of metallic wood! The god notes that the process was slightly inefficient, as a handful of the trees came out too damaged or incomplete to grow or reproduce. Not wanting to be wasteful, the infant deity uproots the doomed plants and takes them back to open storage.

Success! A Copse of Ironwood has been created near the Salvaged! You may add the value 5 resource 'Recycled Ironwood' to open storage. 

Saga of the Snake -

The Saga passes uneventfully.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:37:54 am by Weirdsound »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2020, 03:05:46 am »

Saga of the Horse -

Koaring and [Null] meet up with Chet on the South Shore of Lake Línshí. Several moments later a humanoid looking goddess with blue skin and eight arms arrives. She introduces herself as Zhī Gōng, but otherwise does not seem all that interested in interacting with her freshman course mates. Chet smiles. "All right! All three of you are here. I'll make this simple. Your only responsibilities are to show up each week, and amass an awesome collection of local plants and minerals. At the end of the course, I will grade your collection on size, diversity, and storage conditions. You two freshmen may elect to share both a collection and a grade if you wish."

The Dolphin headed god's grin grows wider as he continues to speak. "Each time we meet, I'll take you on a tour of some place where cool resources can be found. Feel free to save some interactions if you would like to take something home with you."

With that, Chet snaps his fingers and materializes four windsurfing boards and four fine nets with long handles. "Today we are going out on the lake to scoop up some cool algae!"

If either of you has an interaction saved, you may spend it to take home some resources from class!

---

Dun has saved up her energy and is ready for another burst of action! Returning to the waters off of Pai, she swims out to sea until she discovers a suitably deep and lightless abyss to explore. In her element, Dun spends the equivalent of mortal weeks studying the local species of plankton and jellyfish, and although she finds no species worthy of taking back home to the menagerie, the endeavor is both academically and spiritually fulfilling.

Eventually, Dun catches sight of a small biolumenescent shark. The goddesses' divine intuition alerts her to the fact that the fish is indeed a sentient being, so Dun chooses to trail it back to its home from a safe distance. The shark leads Dun to the mouth of a massive cave on the seafloor, which dozens of its kind enter and exit every second. A city!

Overcome by curiosity, the Goddess enters the cave, and announces her presence with a nominal expenditure of divine energy to create a display of light and sound. Impressed, the locals wisk her off to meet their leader.

The head shark makes quite the impression on Dun. It is big. Very big. Big enough to be trapped within the chamber where it dwells. Bigger than any whale Dun has ever laid eyes on. Although the creature lacks the spark of divinity, Dun can tell that it is both more powerful than her, and well trained in the lesser magics of mortals. It offers Dun a warm, but toothy, smile, and speaks.

"Greetings little goddess. I am called Húndàn. Son of the wicked Qiángjiān Haidàol Ngzhu, who is worshiped by the Dire Orcas. My sole purpose in life is to spite my father, and I do so by practicing the two things he hates above all else; Artifice and Free Trade. I can see through you little head. Although my hatred of my betters befuddles you, you are tasked with leading and protecting a people whom my father's worshipers antagonize. As you are no friend of the Dire Orcas, we may do business."

Húndàn swims foward, so that its massive maw is mere feet away from Dun. "I specialize in raising armies, and constructing great artifacts. In exchange I seek donations of divine energy to fuel my own miracles, and rare materials from the surface... Allow me to be more specific!"

The massive shark's eyes glow bright red, and Dun is suddenly beset by powerful headaches as the details of Húndàn's offers flood into her brain!

Success! Dun has met the merchant Húndàn! She, or any god she chooses to tell about this being, may use an interaction barter with him for armies or artifacts. Instead of bartering, a god may also accept one of his posted deals below. Taking a posted deal costs an interaction, but has an un-modifiable 90% success rate. Húndàn is not imortal, so he might not be around forever. Posted Deals:
1. Small donation of divine power (temporary debuff) in exchange for loyal lesser aquatic host.
2. Large donation of divine power (permanent debuff) in exchange for a loyal amphibious host, or greater aquatic host.
3. Resources gathered on land with a combined value < 30 in exchange for a magical tool of Húndàn's choice.
4. Resources gathered on land with a combined value < 100 in exchange for a greater artifact that will grant you a boon.

After completing her meeting with Húndàn, Dun leaves the city-cave and combs the ocean bottom for whale falls, shipwrecks, and the like. It does not take her long to find the former.

The dead whale has already been feasted upon long enough that Dun cannot be quite sure what it looked like in life. There are a few small fish and cephalopods at the site, but the most interesting creatures are a pair of sentient humanoid snails who seem to be shepherds or ranchers of sorts. They supervise a herd of several dozen cattle sized carnivorous rays, who under the watchful eyes of their masters feast upon the carcass. Unlike the ray's of Dun's home ocean, which are flat, these fish have one to three large humps upon their backs, upon which some are adorned with saddle bags indicating their status as beasts of burden. Dun remains hidden for a few moments to watch as the shepherds shake primitive spears to ward off other large creatures who might disturb their flock or steal the meat.

Eventually Dun comes to two conclusions. First she determines that the Rays are of interest to her, and then she concludes that the ranchers are too weak to stop her from taking them. Spending a nominal amount of divine energy to temporarily paralyze the two guardians, Dun takes her time gathering up the entire herd before spiriting the beasts back to her menagerie.

Success! Dun has obtained the value 10 Resource 'Camel Rays'!

---

Qu travels to the temple and appears before Master Zhèngniàn, whom he directs to lead his monks down into the world. It takes the Warriors of Light several mortal days to prepare, before they depart the temple escorted by their god.

The Temple, as it turns out, is quite isolated. Dense jungles surround the mountains on which they dwell, and they know only one way down to civilization; A perilous road that follows the summits of the mountain range. The journey takes several months, and the party encounters several hostile Yeti and Forst Wyrven who might have proved a threat to less formidable travelers.

Occasionally they pass through a small village of alpine elves, none of whom speak the same language as the monks, forcing Qu into the roll of traveler. The villagers have little to offer; They barely eek out a living for themselves in this harsh environment. They do, however, speak of a great city where the highest elves dwell at the end of the road.

Eventually, the party reaches said city, and from the outside it looks impressive. The walls and towers are constructed from green glass, and tower over the nearby mountain peaks. Uniformed and disciplined guards patrol the exterior. The guards are reluctant to let the monks in, as, in their own words, 'the city and its wonders are reserved for elves of only the highest breeding'. They do, however, speak a language that Master Zhèngniàn understands, so under cover of darkness, while the rest of the warriors of light camp outside, god and champion together slip over the walls to explore.

The interior of the city is clean and organized. Non-elfish slaves patrol the streets with brooms, sweeping up after the citizens as they go about their business. At this hour, most of the activity seems centered around the south side of town, where several bars sit alongside a large night-market where all sorts of goods are being peddled. Above the night market looms a massive tower, upon which several impressive airships are docked, implying that this city conducts trade over a great distance. The two of you settle in to explore the market, meeting several interesting people as you browse.

Success! Choose one of the following NPCs to befriend and start and RP with: An old slave, a well traveled airship sailor, an exotic merchant, or a drunken city guard.

Saga of the Goat -

Koaring, Dun, and Qu do not have to travel far to attend their class on miracles. You meet in your class chambers. It is just the three of you, Professor Yínfà, and two strange humanoid bull moose. The Professor takes a moment to address the strange students. "Usually, staff does not divulge the location of a class' homeroom to other students, but Tuólù and Dào Lànzuì are seniors. They are not allowed to harm you while you are Freshmen this term, and will have graduated by the time you are no longer under such protection. They have both signed documents swearing not to divulge this location to other students. I hope you find their presence acceptable."

The two seniors grin, and exchange whispers between themselves as Professor Yínfà continues. "This class covers miracles. The capacity to perform miracles, in my humble opinion, is one of the main factors that separates the mortal being from the divine being. Most of us can perform miracles naturally and with little difficulty, and as a result, few of us give miracles a second thought. We don't often stop to think, 'what are miracles?' 'Why do we perform them?' 'Why can we perform them?' or 'how can I improve in performing them.' In my experience, when given a choice in the matter, most students prefer to ponder that last question over the other three. On that note, this class will be as hands on and practical as you all allow it to be. If you come to me with specific questions about miracles, or even miracles that you want help in performing, we can explore those things as a group. If you would all instead rather be quiet and listen, I have plenty of lectures on divine theory prepared.

The professor pauses for a moment, allowing you to take her words in before continuing. "As for grades, there will be three assignments that you may complete in any order. You will submit one written report on a miracle you have successfully performed and one written report on a miracle you have failed to perform. If you are having trouble either succeeding or failing at performing a miracle, you may visit the Student Index office and find an old miracle on record to write about instead. The third assignment will be the live performance of a Miracle in class. Give me an Age's notice when you wish to perform, and prepare carefully; Botching the miracle will be quite detrimental to your grade.

Saga of the Monkey -

It again takes some time and exploration, but Elbakaepsnu eventually finds the Entomology Compound, a series of large chambers that display bugs of all shapes and sizes, both live and preserved. The Ant Farm room, as the name suggests, houses a colony of live wolf sized ants, which seem to give the gathered gods a wide berth. The floor is tightly packed soil, and for the large part featureless. There is a waterfall and lake against the far wall, several bonzai trees growing from the floor, and a traditional rock garden complete with rake.

The five other students in the room are all huddled together, talking. A couple of them shoot the occasional less-than-friendly glance in your direction. The instructor, a tall pale skinned figure wearing a t-shirt and yoga pants, approaches you. "So... Like. Oops. I forgot I had one more student coming, and already briefed those guys. They are all in the same class, and taking this course as a group. Like... hopefully you all can get along. I don't want to have to fill out paperwork because some dumb ass is picking on a freshman."

The instructor stops for a moment to blow a bright blue bubble. Apparently she is chewing some sort of gum. It pops, and she pulls the resulting mess back into her mouth. "So... my name is Bethany. I'm a student in the Divine Politics program here at the academy, and I'm... like... teaching this course to satisfy my Divine Pedagogy requirement. So I got... like... a fuckload of homework to do for my other class, and don't need to spend alot of time grading you guys' stuff. So here is the deal. You... like... show up for class every age, and perform at least one successful interaction here in the Ant Farm, you will pass the class. Do two or three, and I'll probably give you a good grade. Its not like there is a right and wrong way to do interactions, right? No two gods are going to do the exact same things on the mortal realm. This shit is... like... all subjective. You don't have... like... any questions, right?"

---

Having seen just how isolated his followers are from the rest of the world, Qu decides to grant the monks a boon to their mobility by putting legs on their temple. Having never been formally trained in architecture, the young god finds this a trying task. After several failed attempts, his frustration gets the better of him, and he inadvertently calls upon his hated birthright, the power of the void!

A purple portal appears on the ground in front of the temple, and from it rises a large stone archway that reaches halfway up to the temple's roof! Next from the portal, rises a set of finely crafted ivory doors, filling the space at the center of the arch! Once the door is in position, the portal beneath it closes with a thunderous *snap*!

Although disappointed in himself for allowing the void's power to leak into this world, Qu is at least confident that the monks are in no immediate danger. The void has no will of its own, and does not reciprocate Qu's hatred. It would never act against the interests of its Prince unless specifically commanded to do so by its queen...

Success! You will have to check in with the Warriors of Light to find out exactly what this new doorway does...

Saga of the Rooster -

{null} finds the prayer archive to be a massive, city-sized library staffed by strange skeletal humanoids. When the nameless deity inquires as to their nature, the one it asks explains that it is called a lich, and is a mortal who learned to live beyond death through unnatural means. The lich explains that his kind are collected by Shizi and often given purpose in tending to The Academy's many libraries as he escorts you to classroom #1.

Inside you find a tall being who looks much like The Emperor waiting at the front of the class. He wears a formal military uniform where the Emperor would a robe, and the face on his mask is crafted into a permanent scowl. "Salutations. I am Professor Wángzi. For those of you who don't know, I am the headmaster's older brother. Like my brother I am known as a harsh grader. Knowledge is king here. If you are not seeking it, you are not doing your job. If I am not delivering it, I am not doing mine."

With that the Professor pulls out a large transparent orb, and places it on an empty desk near the front of the room. "This is a prayer orb. As the name suggests, it collects prayers. If tuned right, it collects prayers addressed to the god who owns it."

You can almost feel Professor Wángzi smirk from under his mask. "Your first assignment is to construct a prayer orb for yourself. You have three ages to do so. I will supply some supplies and other resources at our next meeting. If you cannot do this, it is exceedingly unlikely that you will pass this course."

---

After his experience with the hag, Koaring decides that a saga of honest labor in the field might do him some good. Returning to Peanut Village, he visits each farm, slowly and painstaking infusing each row of crops with a small amount of divine energy. While working, he talks to some of the brave local farmers, who mention that in recent sagas, Hag activity has decreased. You don't have the heart to tell them that this is because Baba Yāo fù is occupied raising a demigod daughter as a weapon against both yourself and them.

At the end of the third mortal month of labor, inspiration strikes! Instead of modifying all the plants to thrive in the corruption, you could modify a single plant to absorb and consume it! The swan prince sets to work, selecting and enchanting a single healthy looking gourd. Over the next few days the gourd grows and swells, and the unnatural feeling of unease that typically engulfs Peanut Village fades. When all is said and done, the local population is in a particular mood, all the local crops seem healthier than before, and the gourd is now jet black, bearing a visible sickly green aura, and thrice the size of the nearest farmhouse.

Although he has cleared the corruption from a small pocket of land upon which the town and surrounding farms sits, Koaring decides to finish his work and modify the rest of the local crops. It just wouldn't be fair to bless some farmers more than others. By the time he finishes the last field, his labor on the first has already borne fruit in the form of cabbages the size of hogs and ears of corn taller than the local homes. The locals are ecstatic, confident that this divine bumper crop combined with the recent lull in hag activity will trigger an economic boom and wave of immigration!

Lacking the will to warn them of potential dark times ahead, you take the massive gourd of corruption and return to the academy. As you travel, you are struck by the power of the squash you carry. Whoever eats it would surely gain the wicked power that it absorbed from the land. You are sure that it would be possible to purge the evil from devil gourd without purging its strength, or to craft it into something useful but less corrupting, but then again... would you want to? If you were to eat the thing and become one with its corruption, you would surely grow closer to both Baba Yāo fù and your daughter. Right?

Critical Success! The supercharged crop variants you have created will drive immigration and economic growth to Peanut Village for Ages to Come!

You gain and may store the resource Gourd of Corruption, which has a value of 15! Anyone with access may eat the gourd without fail as an interaction or miracle to gain its power! It may also be used as you would use any other resource.

Saga of the Dog -

{null}'s creation suite trivializes the basic agricultural tasks involved in expanding the copse of Ironwood trees. Without incident, you lay the groundwork for the forest to quintuple in age over the course of the next age.

As you work, you notice several frightening humanoid insects lurking around the copse and driving loggers sent by the salvaged away. This development angers you, so you chase the intruders away, perhaps capturing one for interrogation. Once they are gone, the salvaged move in and begin to harvest metal from your creation.

Success! This will likely benefit the salvaged in the long run! You may also start an RP with either a salvaged logger or a captured insectiod interloper!

Saga of the Pig -

Qu makes the short trip to the shore of Lake Línshí, where he follows the advice and techniques of his foster mother to perform the miracle of the ten hundred blooms. The defector prince is comforted by the ease of this action; The ground yields to his will and skill, and the flowers that once existed only in his imagination erupt from the blessed soil!

A big grin spreads across Qu's face as he gathers up the flowers, and returns with them to his chambers.

Success! You create, collect, and store the resource 'Ten Hundred Healing Blooms' which has a value of 15.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:28:10 am by Weirdsound »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2020, 12:31:27 am »

Hey all! Just a quick post to rap up the old RP, and let you know that the full turn has been edited in! You all have multiple RPs to do, but for now keep it to one RP that involves me per player at a time. Over the next day or two I need to update the Unknown Things document and expand the academic rules, and I don't want to be completely swamped with RP stuff until that is finished.

Elbakaepsnu looks at the response from the head of the academy, and makes a erratic laughing noise from its body and than responds with a quip as his statement. ”While intriguing nonetheless, the only thing I see is that it’s not to be encouraged, are their any ruling or policing even disciplinary measures taken from the higher ups if to say freshman gods were to interfere with the recreation efforts with other mortals or gods?

Koaring gives a short laugh. "Be assured, Professor, whatever encouragement I may feel is due to a goddess named Lakkak of my former home and not from any word on the part of the Academy instructors."

"Neither boredom nor busywork interests me, but some magic could benefit my followers in pushing back the nearby corruption. I will have to keep that in mind for next term."

The professor shoots both Elba and Koaring an annoyed glare. "I am not permitted to speak further on the matter."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13