00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252259 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4185 on: June 29, 2020, 10:25:48 pm »

"...saluted father dear--" Cephie begins to sing as the two of you start east down the corridor. It's an ancient pirate tune, traced to old earth, "...landed on the quay just as the ship was sailing, the captain at me roared..." You listen in silence, and, for a moment, contentment threatens to steal over you and rob your senses.

...I miss this. The songs. The cheer. Laughing in the face of fear with barely restrained glee. In the face of death. Alphira was always so sour.

"What's a Freelancer's brat like you singing old Pirate songs?" You tease.

"Oh, on the rocky road to-- Hey now!" Cephie stops singing, false indignation claiming her voice for the time, "Y'know what they say about Freelancers, right?"

"Educate me."

"That they're a silver coin's flip from turning black."

You snort, passing by another bulkhead. Cephie stops, and you pause. "It's unmarked."

"Don't mean there ain't something shiny inside, right? Dead men have no claims and all that." With a wicked grin, Cephie turns the handle on the door, pulling it open. There's a slight hiss.

"Didn't know you were the sort to rob crypts."

"I didn't know you were the sort to spoil my sport." Cephie rebukes, and the two of you detour into the bunkroom.

[20] Cephie strikes gold, or, in this case, platinum. Pulling open a cabinet, she withdraws an absolute beast of a weapon. A las-gun with an utterly massive drum magazine and a super coolant tank wrapping around the 'barrel'. The motif of snakes repeat, but there's also a crescent half-moon with an atomic cloud jutting out from it. All in platinum. Cephie's eyes light up. She presses a button on the side. Out of the machine, a cord extends, and a small holographic screen pops up -- auto-aim and a high quality targetting interface designed to mesh with cybernetics. [5000/5000] glows on the screen, along with an overheat gauge.

"See! Aren't you glad I stopped? He's a real beaut."

[12] You are a little less lucky. A bundled patch of plastic draws your eye from beneath the bed, and you pull it out. It's a solar recharger with a number of cables attached. The energy collection material is super-thin, cloth-like, and, as you learn by gently tugging on it, highly resistant to tearing. You stick the small pad in a pocket and tick your head out the door. Cephie rests the gun across her shoulders, draping her arms over it as she follows along.

It takes you an hour of wandering before you can find something that looks like a very vague symbol for 'bridge'. What you thought was graffiti, was instead an arrow, pointing up. The two of you climb up a shaft on the rickety, rusting ladder. The hatch above is closed, but a few quick jabs of your Cutter solves that issue. You drag yourself up the maintenance shaft and on to the bridge.

Monitors glow dimly in the dark, surrounded by chairs or framed by harnesses. You quietly take a seat at the captain's chair as Cephie looks over the various other monitors. She eventually takes a seat in the engineering station, her long fingers drifting over the keys. A diagnostic in high Empyreal appears. Then, the bridge comes to life with a gentle hum, the main display showing a virtual view of the outside. It's all a green blur.

"Could you pull up a full ship diagnostic for me?" You ask, politely.

"Yes, captain. It's going to be bare-bones for now."

"Good gods, they're using Commsbuddy. Bless'm." Cephie murmurs, leaning back in her chair, even as it creaks dangerously. "Looks like there's survivors -- want to break in that--"

Sensory feeds cut back on just as abruptly as they shut off.

"...right, right, sorry, sorry. Hovering Line and all that. You're right."

Spoiler: EMPYREAL MAP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:08:37 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: June 29, 2020, 10:44:25 pm »

There's a lot to look into here...  If those are quantum entanglement comms, they're instant, but where are the receiving particles?  Also, we may not be able to escape Mercenary's Rest for awhile, it seems.

"Do you think it would be dangerous to defrost the survivors?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: June 29, 2020, 10:51:31 pm »

"Oh, they're most certainly Pirates. If the lack of signage was a flashing red flag, then the fact they're using Darkhorse and Commsbuddy is so damn red it's crimson. There's two hundred and thirty-one of them, versus two of us. If half of them are Void Marines, we'll die. But, if you're up for some fun." Cephie drawls, idly. "Plus they're going to be suffering major time dilation. Darkhorse is on version...three hundred and fifty-two -- and no self-respecting Pirate uses it since it went legal."

"We're connected to the Empyreal communication networks, though." Cephie continues, "Which means we can contact anyone, anywhere in the Empyre." She pauses, "Maybe I should call my mum and pa'..."

Cephie rises, moving over to the communications chair. "Would you mind?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: June 29, 2020, 10:53:33 pm »

"Are you going to contact Magnus?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: June 29, 2020, 11:06:52 pm »

"If I was, would I have asked your permission, first? Or just sent you off to some random part of the ship while I did so." Cephie retorts, giving you a wicked grin that slowly fades, "Actually, why the fuck do I need your permission anyway? Out of the two of us, I have the advantage here. I can easily pierce through the windows and flood this place-- your fire won't help you."

Cephie turns to the console, smiling to herself as she types in a code. Her finger hovers over one of the buttons: [send]. "Going to stop me, Pheobe? Or are you all talk? Huh? Wanna scrap? Wanna make me stop?" She's teasing, taunting, twisting to face you, finger replaced by a piece of carbon hovering over the button. "Do it. Come on. Let's see that righteous rage -- or are you a coward?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: June 29, 2020, 11:10:49 pm »

"I'm no coward, but fighting here seems like a bad idea.  If you want to spar, we could do that when we get back to the fortress?  But yeah, go ahead, call whoever you want."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: June 30, 2020, 08:22:27 am »

"I'm no coward, but fighting here seems like a bad idea.  If you want to spar, we could do that when we get back to the fortress?  But yeah, go ahead, call whoever you want."
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:32 am »

I find it significant/interesting that her reason for "why do I need to ask your permission" wasn't "I'm not subservient to you" but "I can defeat you."

((Characterization?))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: June 30, 2020, 11:09:23 am »

Maybe we can talk with Magnus too, explain that we aren’t who we were when he was sent to fight us?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: June 30, 2020, 12:26:25 pm »

What on earth, Cephie?

...she underestimates our Lines. If she pushes the matter, she'll find she's got a [tiger-analogue] by the tail.

Is water really such a hindrance for us? Water means
hydrogen and oxygen, in abundance-- material enough for all the plasma we might care to wield.
Failing that, how much silicon might we draw from these walls? Cephelia has not seen us wield the dust of McCreary.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: June 30, 2020, 12:35:18 pm »

What on earth, Cephie?

...she underestimates our Lines. If she pushes the matter, she'll find she's got a [tiger-analogue] by the tail.

Is water really such a hindrance for us? Water means
hydrogen and oxygen, in abundance-- material enough for all the plasma we might care to wield.
Failing that, how much silicon might we draw from these walls? Cephelia has not seen us wield the dust of McCreary.

the fighting might damage the ship as well

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: June 30, 2020, 12:49:11 pm »

[1 vs. 18]
"I'll call you out then -- you're pathetic Pheobe." Cephie looks...disappointed in you. She slips a small diamond-tipped point from her pouch and, with a flick of her wrist, launches it at one of the...projections of the outside. It lodges in the wall, distorting the image.

In the same movement, she drops the piece of carbon, turning away from you as the call begins to connect. A picture of a smiling, cheerful family appears on the screen. Black hair, thin bodies and nearly translucent skin. She's relaxed, calm as she explains, "No one puts windows on the bridge of a battleship, Pheobe."

You slump in your chair, staring at Cephie's back as an older male answers the call. His scarred face twisting into a smile as he waves a cybernetic hand at his daughter. "CEPHIE! Hey, brats, wake up, your sister is calling--" He disappears from view briefly. When he returns, four sleepy teens and an older woman appear. There's faint annoyance there, yes, but all seem incredibly happy to see Cephie, who launches into a discussion about how much each has grown, and how they're all heartbreaker now-- so on.

"Hey -- you doing okay?" Cephie's mother asks, quietly, with concern.

"Yeah, mum, if I wasn't, you'd probably get a call from Magnus, wouldn't ya'?"

With a shake of your head, you turn your attention back to the ship, letting the other Ascended unwind and catch up with her genetic relatives.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:52:41 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: June 30, 2020, 12:54:26 pm »

...I say.

>[NAME: Sadil of the Silicon's Rest, Mercrenary's Rest]

This is McCreary's vessel.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: June 30, 2020, 01:05:16 pm »

((Planet name.))

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: June 30, 2020, 01:53:10 pm »

Holy--
...right.

So "McCreary" was never a real name; the man now venerated under that appellation went by "Sadil" in life. The Families, and quite possibly every "[demon]" ever to grace this rock of a plague-world, originated-- in one way or another-- here.

More to the point: we're not getting this thing off the ground. We can gut it for parts. I'm eyeing those antimatter warheads, in particular-- those things could well break the cohesion of our enemy entirely, wielded with discretion.

What's the blast radius on those things anyhow?

...do we want to try and put a call through to anyone, once Cephie's through with her little chat? Magnus? One of our Line-siblings?

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 381