00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252341 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #3990 on: June 06, 2020, 09:58:28 pm »

"Building a name-- building something that will outlive you. I'm old Pheobe. I've got another thirty years in me if I'm lucky. I've had no sons, no daughters. If I die-- when I die...what will I have done? A name in a book. One that school children skim." Nicole sags against her bonds, gray hair falling over her drawn, tanned face. "What was it all worth, Pheobe, if I leave nothing behind?"

"SEED damnit, I want to know something I built outlives me."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: June 06, 2020, 10:07:10 pm »

"I understand, and there is a place for you here as my advisor.  Where is the Pontifex and Tyler Hop, and can you send messages to any remaining rebels to surrender?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: June 06, 2020, 10:36:37 pm »

That title-- "grandmother"--
--it means every bit as much to her as it once did to us.
This is the heart of Nicole Gainer.

...let's not rush this moment.

"I... I understand." Sigh. "I understand. Thank you."
"I'm not in this for the power, you know. I never was."

We could finish untying her, if you see fit. I do not believe she bears us any ill will.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: June 06, 2020, 11:31:50 pm »

I'm not really feeling that warm and fuzzy for a mass murderer that killed our soldiers because she felt slighted.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: June 07, 2020, 04:05:55 am »

"I understand, and there is a place for you here as my advisor.  Where is the Pontifex and Tyler Hop, and can you send messages to any remaining rebels to surrender?"
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: June 07, 2020, 04:16:12 am »

I'm not really feeling that warm and fuzzy for a mass murderer that killed our soldiers because she felt slighted.
Agreed.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: June 07, 2020, 07:08:44 pm »

[20]My hands are not free of the blood of the masses either, Good Doctor. We share Alphira's sins -- orbital bombardments are not delicate works. I cannot judge her for the slaughter of so many when she has the excuse of fighting the Plague.

"I want you as my advisor." You murmur, drawing away from her and hardening your heart. "Where is the Pontifex?"

"In an incinerator's ash bin," Nicole states, staring at the ceiling, her gaze darkening as she looks away from you. "He told me you were insane -- tried to kill him after he tried to use you. The poor boy thought I would be sympathetic."

You blink, and are shocked at how unsurprised you are by the confession of his assassination. "And where is Tyler Hop?"

"Granddaughter, I may care for you greatly, but I fear for your life if you think plotting be as simple as knocking over the metaphorical chessboard. I have a question in return -- what would Tyler Hop do if you tried to seize him? And what would Tyler Hop do, if, out of the green I called him and said for him to stand down? Would he trust me to be of a right mind? Or would he think that I was as good as dead?"

"Is there any rebel factions yo--"

"Once again -- you overestimate and make a fool of yourself." Nicole's voice is suddenly harsh as she turns a dark gaze on you. "Do you think that all people are of like mind? That, once unchained all Hounds can be neatly gathered? People who are in rebellion against you have their own motives for doing so. People are not a united front. If they have a grievance, do you think that they will put that aside because I asked nicely?"

"Well, what about their locat--"

"This is why. This is why you need hard lessons, Pheobe." Nicole suddenly barks, angry. "Do you think people are stupid? Do you think you're the smartest person on this world? I've been captured. This is a fact that has been assumed since the Thorntons laid siege to Steelworks. Any allies that did not help me hold the city have long since found new hiding holes."

You slump in silence, staring at your angry grandmother. "I...I understand." You finally murmur. "I understand...thank you." Nicole's anger subsides, and her straining form slumps against the restraints. You rise, finding a penknife in your room and use it to cut through the restraints. She slowly sits up, rubbing blood into her wrists as she fixes you with a cold stare. You return it, rising to your feet as she does. "I was never in this for the power..." You sigh.

"I'd be disappointed in you if you were." You brace yourself when she takes a step forward, then another, and another -- until she wraps her arms awkwardly around you in a tight hug. "I haven't been there for you as much as I should have been, Pheobe. I'm sorry." She pulls away, looking down at you. "You've been through a lot, haven't you, Pheobe?"

[1] You don't know how it happens, but that drives you into sobs. You hide your face in her shirt as emotions unbidden flood your eyes. She doesn't say a word, doesn't judge for what you see as a weakness. While awkward and ill-suited for providing comfort, she tries her best, giving you hesitant pats on the back and murmuring what she thinks are gentle words of encouragement.

She's quite awful at it, really.

When you finish, you pull away, and Nicole pulls a handkerchief from one of her pockets, using it to wipe at your face and clear beneath your red eyes. "Now, answer me truthfully, do you want me as an advisor? Or would it be better to keep me in house arrest or kill me?" There is no fear in her voice, no concern for her own well-being. "I'm not going to be one of those toadies who fears you if you want me to advise you. I'm not William and Emma -- I'll put my boot in your ass if you need it."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: June 07, 2020, 07:14:38 pm »

I do want you as an advisor

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: June 07, 2020, 07:18:48 pm »

Did you kill hundreds of thousands of civilians? You certainly didn't while I was here, or I would have stopped you, Phoenix.

"You have not capitulated. Do you intend to start your own government or become part of mine?"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:21:19 pm by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: June 07, 2020, 07:20:50 pm »

"You have not capitulated. Do you intend to start your own government or become part of mine?"
didn’t she answer already?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: June 07, 2020, 07:22:07 pm »

She said she wanted to be our advisor, but if she hasn't capitulated, then it's not clear whether she intends to surrender the district to us or not.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #4001 on: June 07, 2020, 07:23:56 pm »

The next image that fills the screen is a picture of you, older, more grim-faced, fires raging around you. Beneath your laughing visage is 'ALPHIRA SOL, PRINCESS OF THE PIRATE KING ALPHIAS SOL.' 'WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE', 'ONE HUNDRED MILLION CREDIT REWARD', 'PIRACY, GENOCIDE, DESTRUCTION OF FIFTY EMPYREAL NAVY VESSELS, HIGH TREASON AGAINST THE ENDLESS.', 'LAST KNOWN LOCATION:FLEEING THE BATTLE OF THE WALL'.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: June 07, 2020, 07:25:16 pm »

Yes, Alphira committed great atrocities, but she has ceased to exist. She has already been punished for her crimes through death.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: June 07, 2020, 07:35:55 pm »

She said she wanted to be our advisor, but if she hasn't capitulated, then it's not clear whether she intends to surrender the district to us or not.
She explained when can’t do that. There are various rebel groups, each of which have their own reasons for rebelling. To me it looks like we need to organize a meeting to talk about why each of the various parties rebelled. Continuing the siege and taking it by force ensures they will start rebelling later

Yes, Alphira committed great atrocities, but she has ceased to exist. She has already been punished for her crimes through death.
regardless of what was done in the past, we need to focus on what’s happening now, which is rebellion in a district by multiple parties. Seizing the place by force will not address their grievances, and they will rebel again if those grievances are not addressed.

We still need to make an economy, begin trade, fight the plague, construct/use mines to produce resources for use/trade and many other things, not only do we need to defeat the plague, we have a country to run while doing so

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: June 07, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »

This is an individual that committed crimes beyond measure. The dossier on her that was presented to us was damning. Past behavior is the best way to predict future behavior. But, if I am in the minority here, I will defer to others.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:48:52 pm by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 381