00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252800 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #1050 on: March 23, 2020, 06:09:45 pm »

That'll do fine. Just a couple additions I'd like to make:

Children of the Holy SEED, I come to you today to tell you of triumph over wickedness, holy light piercing shrouded agents of darkness, and the inevitable victory of the forces of good over the forces of evil.  As ever before, as has always passed since time immemorial, the waves of darkness will fall upon SEED's bulwark, but none will be swept away, for SEED has the mandate of heaven and the power of righteousness to once again bring peace to this land.

How can the plague delude itself to think it will be spared from our cleansing fire?  How can the demons run and hide from SEED, who knows and sees all?  Their hostility is nothing more than futility, for none can oppose this holy city-state, filled with true believers, and hope to survive.  Fear not, for I will defeat the darkness.  I will destroy the skulking demons who hide outside our borders.  I will bring holy fury to bear against the spawn of hell, and they will quickly disintegrate when faced with the conviction of our belief.

At this point, we're gonna get a nice stiff Inferno going. Let the fire writhe and blossom around us, really put on a show for this lot. (Make sure our guards and suchlike know we'll be doing this beforehand-- wouldn't want to char anybody!)

Speak loud. Let the burning of the hydrogen distort our voice. Put a little Power into our lungs, if we can. "I am Alphira, Lady of Fire. I bear the soul of McCreary, and his armor names me heir. I bring to you the fulfillment of the Great Work. I am your champion."

Prepare yourselves for glorious victory.  Heaven will triumph over hell, as it always has before.  The Holy SEED, and I, our Angel of Fire, will scald those who would disrupt the Great Work and burn them to ash.  For the Holy SEED!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:12:20 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 23, 2020, 06:10:37 pm »

That'll do fine. Just a couple additions I'd like to make:

Children of the Holy SEED, I come to you today to tell you of triumph over wickedness, holy light piercing shrouded agents of darkness, and the inevitable victory of the forces of good over the forces of evil.  As ever before, as has always passed since time immemorial, the waves of darkness will fall upon SEED's bulwark, but none will be swept away, for SEED has the mandate of heaven and the power of righteousness to once again bring peace to this land.

How can the plague delude itself to think it will be spared from our cleansing fire?  How can the demons run and hide from SEED, who knows and sees all?  Their hostility is nothing more than futility, for none can oppose this holy city-state, filled with true believers, and hope to survive.  Fear not, for I will defeat the darkness.  I will destroy the skulking demons who hide outside our borders.  I will bring holy fury to bear against the spawn of hell, and they will quickly disintegrate when faced with the conviction of our belief.

At this point, we're gonna get a nice stiff Inferno going. Let the fire writhe blossom around us, really put on a show for this lot. (Make sure our guards and suchlike know we'll be doing this beforehand-- wouldn't want to char anybody!)

Speak loud. Let the burning of the hydrogen distort our voice. Put a little Power into our lungs, if we can. "I am Alphira, Lady of Fire. I bear the soul of McCreary, and his armor names me heir. I bring to you the fulfillment of the Great Work. I am your champion."

Prepare yourselves for glorious victory.  Heaven will triumph over hell, as it always has before.  The Holy SEED, and I, our Angel of Fire, will scald those who would disrupt the Great Work and burn them to ash.  For the Holy SEED!
Nice I like that.  +1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 23, 2020, 06:51:09 pm »

Hmm, what else what else... oh.

Work in a choice scripture quote or two where applicable, if we can.
Be sure to employ throughout whatever charisma stuff the Pontifex has been teaching us.

We need to introduce Emma and Billy Thornton at some point too, but I'm willing to improvise there. Important thing will be capturing the will of the people.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 23, 2020, 07:08:41 pm »

Be sure to employ throughout whatever charisma stuff the Pontifex has been teaching us.

We need to introduce Emma and Billy Thornton at some point too, but I'm willing to improvise there. Important thing will be capturing the will of the people.
+1

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 23, 2020, 07:15:42 pm »

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 23, 2020, 07:56:05 pm »

Sleep doesn't come easily to your fitful mind, but it does come.

[8] "Lady Alphira! We're surrounded. Main fleet is out of firing distance!"

You laugh, feeling your willpower twist and writhe like a snake, pooling into your vessel-- into you! You are the same, this vessel and you—your wings of steel and technology.

"So all the lights in the sky are our enemies now? Let's show them what we can do! We'll wring them from existence!"

And you do, lashing out with your powers into the guns, into the weapons, into the targeting mainframe. The light blinds those who cannot see your glory as you unfurl lashing wings of fire to sweep through those specks of light that dare approach. You burn through the void, a raging inferno of hydrogen fire and electrical storms that threatens to devour anything that approaches.

"Good job, Alphira."

[18] You start awake, feeling Emma gently shaking you, worry on her face. It doesn't take you long to figure out why-- the bed has a smoldering hole beneath your golden gloved hand. She looks shaken, as your other hand was wrapped around her shoulder, but doesn't say anything, getting dressed. When you apologize-- "It's okay. Don't worry about it." Is all she comments, extending out your underlay to you with a weak smile. "Let's get dressed and get some breakfast, okay?"

Emma looks lovely in her dress uniform, the perfectly fitted outfit accentuating all her curves with a severe cut. Across her shoulders, she wears a blood-red half-cloak, and, you surprised, notice that it's adorned with a golden angel, one with wings of fire. She smiles at you when she catches you looking, offering, "I had it commissioned as a surprise for you. You needed a symbol for banners and such. I hope you don't mind-- they've already all been produced."

You dress, and Emma styles your hair for you into a carefully designed top-knot. She smiles faintly as she looks you over in the mirror. You do the same, taking note of the woman that stands in front of you.

Your long, flowing blood-red hair is tied in a tight, severe top-knot. A single bang hangs down, curling around your androgynous face, highlighting your tanned skin and bright, blue eyes with the asymmetry. The armor gleams gold and black, seeming to menace without any assistance, and your muscular form is highlighted by the bulky under-armor that McFee provided. Emma leans over, taking a half-cloak from the rack to fix to your shoulders with a bright jeweled clasp of jade. Your kevlar face mask, that same crimson color, lies tightly around your neck underneath Lucille's forget. With dress-up finished, Emma takes hold of your helmet and presses it into your hands, then fixes your cutter hilt to your belt with deft fingers.

You emerge from the Hovercraft, approaching the pathway up, towards a great balcony carved of granite and gold. It shines in the bright morning light. Another Hovercraft sets down nearby. William emerges, wearing the same military uniform as his sister, but his cloak is adorned with a black thorn on a blood-red background. He grins, flexing a leather-clad, cybernetic hand in a wave. The two hulking leviathans that are to be your walking advertisements emerge face hidden beneath their massive helmets. Draped across their heavily armored breast on a red sash is your symbol and the Thornton Thorn, split in half by a black bar.

They dip you respectful nods, as do your guards whenever they catch your eyes. They're dressed up as well, their kevlar and plastic gleaming, red half-robes draped over their free arm. Zachary, the Pontifex, the Crusader General, and Mother Nicole all sit patiently beneath a small sun-shade. They rise when they see you and exchange handshakes and greetings. They ask you and your entourage to rest quietly while the plaza beneath fills with Scholars, Crusader Officers, and Reporters.

The Crusader General and Mother Nicole give the Thornton soldiers confused looks, but they do not comment, instead inspecting the bowing soldiers with a surprised look. William Thornton smiles, and introduces himself to the Crusader General, asking his opinion on the two hulking guards. They step away, to exchange words for a time, with William beaming wide when they return.

When it finally fills, an a nearby church buzzes it alarm, the Crusader General rises, and you half-listen as he gives a report of the fronts.

Because there are too now. A surprising strike by the enemy using hover-craft has allowed them to seize several hydrogen factories in the region. Quickly moved AA weapons allowed the strike to be isolated to those factories and the surrounding towns, but the casualties are high, and the containment is costing lives to maintain.

The news from the Defensive Line isn't much better-- they've broken through in several places, and reserves had to be sent in to reclaim those districts. The fighting is fierce, and the number of dead is rising.

And its on those grim notes that the Crusader General turns, and the Pontifex stands up to speak.

"Blessings on us, brothers and sisters of SEED. These times, these times are grim indeed! There is loss, chaos, confusion, and death surrounding us. Our brothers and sisters, they bleed to hold the line. Some, in this time of darkness, may come to question the wisdom, and glory of SEED. These feelings are natural, for faith untested is no faith at all!"

The Pontifex pauses, then continues, smiling benevolently.

"But, our time of testing is coming to an end. SEED, in all of his ancient wisdom, his endless grace, and his wonderous mercy has deigned to provide us with an [angel] once more!"

And that's your cue. You rise, approaching the stand, feeling your pulse pound in your head. A dizzying crowd of faces stare up at you. In shock. In disbelief. In joy. In happiness. In religious ecstasy.

[1+1] Your tongue catches in your throat. You make to speak but do not. Instead, you just stare down. The crowd looks confused and begins to murmur amongst themselves. Your retinue seems worried. The Pontifex starts to approach, perhaps to rescue you from your stage fright.

[20+1][19+1][10] When the tension is at its highest, that is when you speak. You switch off the amplifier circuit on the jade stand in front of you, projecting your voice with an amplification of the sound waves, with your lungs taking in more oxygen than usual. Your voice booms out through the plaza, echoing clearly with the natural amplification.

"Children of the Holy SEED, I come to you today to tell you that our faith will no longer need testing, of our holy light piercing shrouded agents of darkness, and the inevitable victory of the forces of good over the forces of evil.  As ever before, as has always passed since time immemorial, the waves of darkness will fall upon SEED's bulwark, but none will be swept away, for SEED has the mandate of heaven and the power of righteousness to once again bring peace to this land."

"How can the plague delude itself to think it will be spared from our cleansing fire?  How can the demons run and hide from SEED, who knows and sees all?  Their hostility is nothing more than futility, for none can oppose this holy city-state, filled with true believers, and hope to survive.  Fear not, for I will defeat the darkness.  I will destroy the skulking demons who hide within our borders.  I will bring holy fury to bear against the spawn of hell, and they will quickly disintegrate when faced with the conviction of our belief."

[18] The guards and The Pontifex step back on cue, and you divert your focus through the suit, drawing forth your willpower to conjure a raging Inferno around you. The air begins to rush away from you as you rapidly heat it, sending a stiff breeze through the crowd that blows away papers and knocks away hoods. The two cybernetic soldiers stand in front of Emma and William, who duck down away from the fiery winds.

"I am Alphira, Lady of Fire. I bear the soul of McCreary, and his armor names me heir. I bring you the fulfillment of the Great Work. I am your champion."

You pause, staring out over a stunned audience.

"Prepare yourselves for glorious victory.  Heaven will triumph over hell, as it always has before.  The Holy SEED, and I, our Angel of Fire, will scald those who would disrupt the Great Work and burn them to ash.  For the Holy SEED!"

[-] There is silence, as the Scholars, Crusaders, and Reporters seem not to know what to do. Some cheer loudly, raising your name to the heavens above in heavy chants. The Crusaders and Scholars drop to their knees, ducking their head down. The crowd is a mixture of confused emotions, but above them, all is joy. Whether solemn and disciplined, like the Crusaders, or ecstatic, zealous, like the Scholars.

This was a moment of history for them all, and they reflect it with their outpouring of emotions. It almost makes you feel dizzy.

You are told to leave after your announcement, The Pontifex pumping your hand and giving you a good pat on the back out of eye-shot of the crowd. Your guards are working in full force with the Crusader Officers, keeping the less disciplined members of the audience from rushing you and your entourage as you make to leave.

[10] You hesitate, and Emma pulls you away gently by your hand. She smiles at the crowd, and you know that she has cemented herself in your public image with the action. Rumors will fly about who she is and what she is to you. No doubt they'll figure it out, especially with the Thornton Family so obviously distinguished. No doubt the gossip rags will have a field day.

You arrive back home, pulling off your armor and collapsing into your damaged bed, Emma flopping down next to you with a triumphant grin.

Tomorrow you go to war. Tonight, however, you spend with Emma and you gently draw her close, looking her in the eye as you speak.

"Whatever happens, I know we can weather the storm, together.  This day could never have come without you and I am immensely grateful.  There are dark times ahead, but I'm happy to be here with you now.  I love you, Emma."

She doesn't respond verbally, instead pulling you into a hard kiss.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:43:57 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 23, 2020, 07:57:05 pm »

The night passes in a tangle of limbs and with many comforting memories made. You don't sleep, suddenly uncomfortable with the prospect next to the fragile Emma. You rise when there's a gentle knock at your door, but before you get dressed, you pull Emma into a tight hug, and give her a kiss, which she returns sleepily.

You dress, pulling on each armor piece, and Emma rises to help you, still half-asleep. Once finished, she looks sad, and offers, quietly, "You better come back in one piece, or I'll be very upset with you." There's a hint of an affectionate threat, and you exchange another kiss with her.

"I love you." And she echoes the sentiment, gently. You leave, but you can hear her begin to cry as the door closes behind you.

You stand in front of one thousand and two hundred soldiers, with four squads of Thornton Mercenaries in front of them. With a detached air, you prowl down the lines, through your soldiers, who stand at tight attention.

They rank and file heavy infantry is indeed heavily armed and armored; Each has a thick vest about their chest, with pauldrons, leggings, and boots of reinforced plastic. Each is equipped with a cutter hilt, a battle-knife, a las-rifle, and a las-pistol at their belts. All of them are fully loaded. Gas masks hang loosely around their necks.

With them done, you approach your mercenaries, examing the heavily armed Thornton leviathans. Currently organized in squads of twelve, with each squad containing a heavy machine gunner, an up jumped inferno shotgunner, a technician, and the rest are equipped with powerful fusion reactor based heavy assault rifles, with inferno shotgun attachments.
Their armor gives you pause, and brief inspection shows its nearly a hand thick-- quite thick enough that without using a high-powered las-gun, it would be difficult to shoot through, and considering their limbs are replaceable...they are quite formidable on this world.
Their helmets have belt-in gas masks, and optics ripped from night-faring hovercrafts. They stand loosely at attention, in silence, less-disciplined than the others, but mirroring their commander, who towers over you, his blond hair drifting in the breezy plaza. A smile curls his lips.

"I trust everything is to your satisfaction with the organization and muster, Lady Alphira?" Crusader Major Anderson asks, as Crusader Major Jackson stands beside him. Their posture is hunched, bowed at the shoulders. Deferential.

The General and his staff are arguing, and you checked out as soon as it started, listening in to the argument about where best to send you and your men with a detached air. They have final say, and seem torn between sending you to the front or to the Hydrogen Plants.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:55:21 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 23, 2020, 08:29:33 pm »

Right... lose the glove. We're not sleeping with that thing anymore. We don't want a repeat of last night, ever.

"We're immortal, Emma. We're immortal. Five thousand, ten thousand years from now, holy scriptures will sing of our every word and deed!"

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 23, 2020, 08:33:10 pm »

Right... lose the glove. We're not sleeping with that thing anymore. We don't want a repeat of last night, ever.

"We're immortal, Emma. We're immortal. Five thousand, ten thousand years from now, holy scriptures will sing of our every word and deed!"
i don’t want to say this, it sounds arrogant to me

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 23, 2020, 08:34:31 pm »

I agree about ditching the glove at night, but I would prefer a more solemn, dutiful statement.  There will be a lot of death.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 23, 2020, 08:35:37 pm »

Solemn can come later-- later tonight, even. For once in our life we have pure, unadulterated triumph-- let's ride the high while we can!  :D

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 23, 2020, 08:35:49 pm »

I agree about ditching the glove at night, but I would prefer a more solemn, dutiful statement.
agreed

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 23, 2020, 08:55:20 pm »

To reply to an edit: yeah, there's gonna be a lot of death. That's... honestly, that's part of why I want this to be a happy moment. Happy moments are gonna be few and far between for us, going forward.

I'm not even suggesting we not talk about the solemn stuff tonight. We're gonna have to. This is just us opening that conversation with a smile.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 23, 2020, 09:04:15 pm »

It looks like we have a different decision to make.  I vote for securing the Hydrogen Plants.  We must push the enemy back to the defensive lines and protect our critical infrastructure.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 23, 2020, 09:05:58 pm »

I will uh, edit to provide that, whatever you wish to say to Emma, cough.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:08:29 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 381