00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253145 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #675 on: March 15, 2020, 06:11:10 pm »

"[I am... wary of that which I do not understand, Brother Pontifex. Nevertheless, SEED has (to my knowledge) done well by humanity, and I am willing to respect that. If it would call itself a god, I am willing to abide by that as well.]"
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 15, 2020, 06:17:57 pm »

"[I am... wary of that which I do not understand, Brother Pontifex. Nevertheless, SEED has (to my knowledge) done well by humanity, and I am willing to respect that. If it would call itself a god, I am willing to abide by that as well.]"
+1

"[...but what are your thoughts on the matter, Pontifex?  You may speak freely, as I will take your words in the strictest confidence].
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:18:56 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 15, 2020, 06:29:29 pm »

+1

"[...but what are your thoughts on the matter, Pontifex?  You make speak freely, as I will take your words in the strictest confidence].

Sure, +1

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 15, 2020, 06:39:48 pm »

[18]"[I appreciate your confidence, Sister."] The Pontifex sips his tea, setting his cup down. "[SEED doesn't speak as much as it does now, except during wars. Awakening it, our god is a costly, difficult task. Every time it does, it brings about great change, changes that, in time, may lead to questions, questions that if answered, may lead to a heretical belief that our god is less than god.]"

"[I am told you are a believer, Sister, you've never missed a service if you could help it. Doesn't it complicate matters of theology, serving a living god? Philosophy loses focus when the Material is introduced.]"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 15, 2020, 06:54:23 pm »

"[In contrast, the best philosophies are enhanced by concrete evidence, as exhibited by the teachings of natural philosophers in a different age and in a far away world.  Those that cannot stand the test of time will fade away.]" 

"[l'm not sure that I understand what the difficulty is.  Is it truly not better to be able to learn theology directly from your god?]"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 15, 2020, 07:27:08 pm »

in a different age and in a far away world

I dunno we need to get meta here.  :P

"[l'm not sure I understand what the difficulty is. Is not a truly worthy philosophy enhanced by its connection to the concrete world? Is it not better to be able to learn theology directly from your god?]"

"[I am a believer, Brother Pontifex, but so too I am a pragmatist. For its extraordinary age, its unique intelligence, its apparent benevolence, I deem SEED worthy of my veneration and my service-- philosophy need not come into it! We have an accord, SEED and I; we work now towards the same end. It is enough.]"

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 15, 2020, 08:33:00 pm »

in a different age and in a far away world

I dunno we need to get meta here.  :P

"[l'm not sure I understand what the difficulty is. Is not a truly worthy philosophy enhanced by its connection to the concrete world? Is it not better to be able to learn theology directly from your god?]"

"[I am a believer, Brother Pontifex, but so too I am a pragmatist. For its extraordinary age, its unique intelligence, its apparent benevolence, I deem SEED worthy of my veneration and my service-- philosophy need not come into it! We have an accord, SEED and I; we work now towards the same end. It is enough.]"

+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 15, 2020, 08:49:19 pm »

"[Of course, [the plague] is the biggest threat to humanity, one that will scour all life it can find. I'm sorry for letting our discussion turn to religion so rapidly, its the nature of the job.]" The Pontifex smiles, leaning forward and pulling a small folder from his robe, which he sets on the table beside him, explaining with a good-natured grin. It's labeled in the highest script, '[Angel of Fire Containment Procedures: SEED approved] "That was incredibly uncomfortable, I apologize."

"[I brought you here to discuss what I can do for you, I'm a very wealthy individual, and there are a number who listen to my words with reverence. If you need anything, please, let me know. My service to the ideals of SEED may only be matched by your own, Sister Alphira, and I look forward to serving with you in the Great Work. Could I answer any questions for you, Sister Alphira?]"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:38 pm »

Perhaps SEED doesn't have the best of intentions for us after we do our duty.  "Containment procedures" sounds worrying.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 15, 2020, 09:07:57 pm »

Perhaps SEED doesn't have the best of intentions for us after we do our duty.  "Containment procedures" sounds worrying.

Quite possibly not. We'll have to look over the folder later.

"No apologies are necessary, Brother Pontifex-- there's naught wrong with a bit of intellectualizing! I hope I haven't come across as dismissive." (Smile.) "That said, there is something on my mind..."

"Your sermon earlier-- you described the battles of McCreary. I suspect I could match certain of his more supernatural abilities, if only I knew the manner in which he fought-- the manner in which he wielded his power. Have you any knowledge on this matter?"

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 15, 2020, 09:19:24 pm »

"Ah...his battles don't feature anywhere I can find. It was a different time then. Few of the remaining soldiers could give an account, either due to incapacity or just not having the words. I had to glean much from my pilgrimage across his battlefield. I would describe it...but it's better to see for yourself, I feel. If you truly wish for me to, however, I can tell you much about what it looked like."

"You can still see the bones of the Great Beast, for instance, strewn in McCreary's lake. Its...its an impressive sight, to be sure, and one that must truly be experienced to be believed."

"I intend to go on the pilgrimage soon, Brother Pontifex." You offer, finally taking a sip of your tea.

"Ah, would you like a guided palanquin or some of the Church's Sacred robes? Many of the stops on the way are chapel towns, and right on the edge of the lake is a military base call McCreary's rest." He pauses, making eye contact and flicking them to the file, "Some people believe that is where he died. Others believe he succumbed to his wounds after meeting with SEED one last time. His body was recovered and interred here within the Holy City, in the end. I could call in some connections to ensure a private viewing of your...sibling, if you wish?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 15, 2020, 09:23:50 pm »

Wait wait wait wait.

Withdraw into our own head for a sec. Was... was McCreary...?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:27:49 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 15, 2020, 09:32:02 pm »

[18]Doesn't sound like one of my little brothers-- the battlefield would've been a massive plain of irradiated glass if it was. If it was father, there wouldn't be a world left.

[8]Did you just call me like I'm your thrice-damned dog?!

Your hand spasms, awkwardly in a strange twitch. The anger eventually recedes, drifting away after a moment's careful calculation. The Pontifex looks concerned, shifting back in his seat from your strange movement. His eyes dart towards your hand then your face.

"Alphira, are you okay?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:51:20 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 15, 2020, 10:09:00 pm »

I'm sorry! Just-- you and VOID are the only two I know who've got any knowledge of this... I thought I could find one of our own.

"Apologies, brother Pontifex-- I stirred an old memory at your words. I was reckless to do so."
"I do not think I shall need to view McCreary's body, though I appreciate the offer! I am more interested in the manner of his fighting than the lay of his bones."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:11:59 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 15, 2020, 10:10:20 pm »

I'd like to see the body.  It would be helpful to ascertain the means of his death.

This might help us determine if SEED is planning treachery.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:11:54 pm by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 381