00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253173 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #660 on: March 15, 2020, 12:46:06 am »

"No need for a Hovercraft relay-- I don't mind the walk."
"Anyway, let's say... a week from now? I'd like us both to have a day of this--" point to our free day on the schedule-- "before I go haring off somewhere!"
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 15, 2020, 04:26:59 am »

"Anyway, let's say... a week from now? I'd like us both to have a day of this--" point to our free day on the schedule-- "before I go haring off somewhere!"

+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 15, 2020, 05:11:40 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 15, 2020, 08:02:18 am »

+1
+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 15, 2020, 02:49:19 pm »

"Before we go haring off somewhere," Emma corrects with a smile, writing something in for you on the last document you sign. With her business completed, for now, she heads out to deliver the papers where they need to go. She stifles a yawn as she murmurs, "I'll be back."

You, in the mean-time, get dressed and start with morning exercises. Emma does return, but she doesn't spend time with you, collapsing into your bed instead and burrowing under the blankets. She's out like a light, and you gently tuck her in before leaving for physical therapy. You work until you muscles ache and burn then stagger into another classroom for Brother Hop or whoever is tutoring you today.

The next couple of days are much the same, except Emma has caught up on sleep, and seems to appreciate your assistance with her workload. At one hour of free time, she cuts your hair, styling it for you into a tight topknot. She also leaves the compound one morning, returning in the evening with two nice dress coats for you both.

You awaken early for morning service, getting dressed in your uniform but slipping on the dress coat. Emma knocks on your door when you're ready, flashing you a smile as she adjusts her uniform as well. She brushes a bit of dust from your shoulder and the two of you set out to the hovercraft platform for transit. Your guards await, dipping nods to you. "The Captain intends on meeting you tomorrow, at the start of your pilgrimage." Emma notes to you, casually, looking over a small bunch of notes, "He's a decorated veteran of several Outland Wars, and looks forward to meeting the new [angel]. Mother Nicole approved him, but he's a candidate picked by the Crusader General."

You glance over at Emma, confused, as the ship pushes up into the air, jostling you slightly. Emma doesn't respond, glancing instead towards the guards and relaxing into a conversation with you about training and what you want to do after service.

The two of you decide to have a lovely dinner at this nice Inner City restaurant, and a trip through the plazas afterward. The restaurant is well recommended by your guards, who ask for permission to speak before volunteering the information. It apparently drifts right through several of the nicer sections of the city, and there's a number of shrines and gardens along the way too and from. Emma latches on to the idea, and the food is apparently amazing, so you agree as well.

You both claim a seat within the front row of the Cathedral, upon a pew lined with comfortable cushions, and relax. The Scholars really prefer their gold and jade, and apparently this world has plenty of it. At least the pews are wood, ornately carved and smelling of freshly applied cleaning solvents. Emma looks over the program, passing it to you with a shrug of her shoulder. She opens her notebook and begins reading through it, quietly offering, "He wishes to meet you in his office after the service. I'll be entertained with tea and cookies, apparently." She makes a face but doesn't protest further, especially as the Pontifex emerges from a nearby door, and begins a slow trudge up to the pulpit.

He's younger than you expected, a middle-aged man with few wrinkles and a mop of unruly gray hair. He's quite handsome, you note, and his smile comes easily, especially when he sweeps his eyes across the room and finds you. Then, he speaks, his voice booming out through the Cathedral, only amplified by the natural acoustics. "I must begin today's service with an apology, as I will not be following the program. I hope that you all will allow this old man his fancy."

"I will not be speaking on charity, but instead about the first [angel], and the first [demon]. On anger, on loss, and on holy retribution." [7] He glances at you in his routine sweep of the audience, and you've noticed you've shifted forward in your seat. He's noticed too.

Long ago, after SEED had made the world, an evil emerged from the sky to challenge his great work. It was a profane mockery of SEED, a twisting, corrupting influence that sought only to spread its own sick infection to all of creation. Not to give life to a barren world, but to devour all it could. It opposed everything that SEED stood for, and SEED demanded an end to it.

But it was not an end that SEED could deliver alone, but an end that must be purchased with blood. He goes to great lengths to describe the war, the slaughter, the death, how SEED had to create soldiers from the very dust to even match the ferocious onslaught. And he describes how hopeless the war was, how despite SEED's best intentions, there was nothing that could be done. Nothing at all.

[13]The crowd is silent, a heavy weight hanging over them. The dangers are too real, the descriptions all too similar to the daily newspapers that circulate around the Holy City, to the rumors that swirl in its tea shops, in its taverns. Shoulders are slumped, there are few dry eyes. The Pontifex pauses, letting the crowd suffer that depression, a frown on his mask, but his eyes glow with the glee of an orator successful in his task.

...And then came McCreary, who turned the tide from the moment he emerged from the Inner Sanctum, clad in armor made from the Void between worlds. He strode across the battlefield and made it his weapon. All of the creation of SEED responded to his whim, the world itself fighting off the invaders that would corrupt it into disgusting sludge and foul pollution. He approached the Great Worm that was the King of the Dead, and with a single savage blow, split apart the ground to devour it. But he was injured in the fight, and as he watched the great worm thrash its final fight, he expired from his injuries.

"But, he gave us hope. He gave us control. He gave us power. In his death, he destroyed the greatest enemy mankind has ever known and saved our world.
" His voice rises and falls in a sing-song manner, lifting to a crescendo, "He gave away his eternity in peace, and comfort, all for our hope. Our happiness. Our lives in the Great Work."

[12]The Pontifex finally breathes out, bowing his head. The rest of the service proceeds more quietly, the Pontifex delivering a lecture on fire and thermodynamics. How the heat of the fire keeps the fuel at the ignition point, so on, and so on. It's actually mildly interesting as far as lecture topics go, and you listen intently.

[-]Finally, the Pontifex gives a benediction, lifting his hand and blessing you in the name of SEED. He approaches attendants in tow. Emma and your guards bow at the hips...you do not, as he shakes your hand instead. "Come, Sister Alphira we have much to discuss. I'm told you're a lover of food. I've had my chefs provide a wonderful noon-time tea for us, and your attendants will also be provided for, of course."

You're lead into the office, and he gestures for you to sit across from him in a comfortable nook. A cart full of snacks and treats lies between you, as well as a neat little tea table. A fresh, steaming cup awaits you. He adjusts his robe to sit more comfortably, leaning back in his chair. "What did you think of the sermon, Sister Alphira? I had to improvise a lot of it."

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:13:38 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 15, 2020, 03:18:46 pm »

Smile. "A stirring oration! You are skilled with the spoken word."

Er, what's the proper honorific for a Pontifex? "Father"?

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 15, 2020, 03:48:44 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:02:05 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 15, 2020, 03:59:00 pm »

Smile. "A stirring oration! You are skilled with the spoken word."

Er, what's the proper honorific for a Pontifex? "Father"?
Dunno, either way +1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 15, 2020, 04:02:09 pm »

Brother or Pontifex, seems to be what he prefers, as he treated you as an equal, by refusing to let you bow, and by addressing you as Sister, but he did not give you his name, so Brother is considered more informal, as you don't have a name to append to it.

[9 vs 16] The Pontifex responds to your praise with a charming smile, and it is indeed endearing to you. "Thank you, Sister Alphira, it means a lot to me to have my services attended to by the [angel] of our times. And times must be desperate indeed to have an [angel]. [crossaint]? My chef hand-made them with fresh farmland butter and the finest [wheat] flour, and I find them quite delicious." He gestures to the pastry in question, lifting his teacup in the same smooth motion and taking a sip.

"Would you mind conversing in a higher tongue with me? I must admit that we will be discussing things of secrecy soon, and my intentions were less than pure to bring you here." There's innuendo in there, you realize, but you dip a nod.

"[What do you think of our god, Alphira? Inspiring? Or did you find SEED's current state mournful?]" Its one of the highest scholarly tongues, you realize, approaching something close to SEED's own language. You can converse fluently in it, as you feel well enough to translate, but it is indeed designed to hide and conceal by its very nature.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 15, 2020, 04:05:19 pm »

"[It was old... so old. An inhuman intelligence. I am unsure what to make of it.]"

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 15, 2020, 04:15:05 pm »

"[Old. It is indeed old. And still so powerful. And wise. We built our civilization around it, used what it deigned to give us.]" He pauses, sipping his tea, "[It created us. Told us its omniscience, and gave us the tools to build. It defended us when we needed it most, and turned the tide of a battle, but the plague...isn't it stange how during each war, the goal was the Holy City? Why only there, I wonder?]"

"[SEED created you. But you had a life before, with friends and lovers and strife...why did you have to live in fear of your heritage, if SEED truly created a perfect being to win this war?]?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 15, 2020, 04:37:07 pm »

"[Because my heritage is unknown, Brother Pontifex. My power woke before ever SEED recognized me-- it seemed likely that I was a demon, though I be not so murderous as they! It was not a pleasant thought. I hoped to escape it.]"

[Now... now, I am unsure. I have uncovered the ghost of a memory. I do not know what brought about my making; I do not know what I am. SEED tells me there is little difference between demon and angel.]

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 15, 2020, 05:44:22 pm »

"[Because my heritage is unknown, Brother Pontifex. My power woke before ever SEED recognized me-- it seemed likely that I was a demon, though I be not so murderous as they! It was not a pleasant thought. I hoped to escape it.]"

[Now... now, I am unsure. I have uncovered the ghost of a memory. I do not know what brought about my making; I do not know what I am. SEED tells me there is little difference between demon and angel.]

+1

This guy is giving off some serious grand vizier energy.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 15, 2020, 05:46:51 pm »

Yeah, I'm wondering what his angle here is.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 15, 2020, 05:55:20 pm »

"[Little difference between [demon] and [angel] is right, Sister,  even among humans. Look at Sister Nicole, Black Nicky. To many, she is a brutal, callous killer of innocents, but to you, she's a loving grandmother and faithful servant of the Scholars.]" The Pontifex picks at the [croissant] with a wry smile at your observation, "[What do you think of our belief in SEED's divinity, Sister? Is it natural and good for humans to elevate that which they don't understand into faithful reverence? Or is it holding us back?]"
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 381