00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 251575 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2020, 11:10:59 pm »

Yeah, I don't like the whole voices in the head when using powers after being warned not to listen to them.  Should maybe learn more about [demons] and powers before delving into weird powers without guidance.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2020, 12:22:15 am »

That makes sense.  How about this: try to learn more about [demons] and their capabilities (either from an expert at the Academy or from a book from the library).

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2020, 02:27:21 am »

You head on over to the library, pausing to look through the index. [demons] are a scarce title there, many of them prayerbooks with no real information, warning the people about straying from SEED's Great Work and following [demons]. You find one military manual, an old thing, numbered edition twenty-five. Thumbing past the introduction, you see the first [demon].

Spoiler: King/Lord of the Dead (click to show/hide)

The next four [demons] resemble the 'King of the Dead' in the description, the only thing decreasing is the death toll and the size. Each one is slain by a 'Great, Holy Crusader of the Crusade'. The sixth is different, however.

Three more crusades, spanning from 100-200 years ago, were waged on the Kin of the Steel Baron until they were exterminated, their leaders each being classified as a [demon], and they, themselves are also considered [demons], but of a lesser variety. Each Crusade has a great 'Crusader.' You, on a lark, begin to look up these Crusaders and find that the vast majority of them were hard-faced men and women who sacrificed much for the Great Work. Every one of them has a prosthesis, ended up in a coma, or had to let hundreds of their own soldiers die. They all retired to cushy, desk jobs, far from the war as they could get.

Spoiler: The Death Child (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Twisted Wire (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Returning Plague (click to show/hide)

The book describes many battles against these [demons]. In them, numerical superiority won out; the threat neutralized via high casualties and organization. If the [Demon] retreated, wounded, it would return whole later, stronger, and more bloodthirsty than ever. Some reports mentioned great gluttony when these beasts were injured. Whole food stockpiles for entire towns devoured in a day. These creatures waged war on this planet on their own, destroying much in the pursuit of their own, mysterious goals. Some would scream and rant and yell insults, while others were dead silent in the throes of combat. The Twisted Wire begged for mercy as it lay dying. The rest of the book is a theological debate about what creates a demon, and you swiftly lose interest when pure theology comes into play.

One similarity, however, is that a demon always emerges from a comet of fire, striking the planet. Some of them, like the Baron, emerge from a cocoon of silvery metal.

Five hours have passed with your research into demons. It is currently noon of your second free day.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:51:03 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2020, 04:49:06 am »

Very interesting.  We did emerge from a comet of fire... so we probably are a [demon]?  Maybe we should read up on angels as well.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2020, 06:19:01 am »

Lets research everything!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:55 am »

Very interesting.  We did emerge from a comet of fire... so we probably are a [demon]?  Maybe we should read up on angels as well.
Lets research everything!
+1 to both

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2020, 12:22:23 am »

With a restless shift in your seat, you rise, heading over to the Index. You scribble down a few books you think might have connections to [angels]. One is a book about the theology of the creation myth; one is 'McCreary, the Martyr of SEED.,' another is a world history book, and finally, one is titled 'Reflections on the VOID.'

[2] The first book is a compendium of debates by the great Elders of the Scholars; some of them are even directed toward the Pontifex of the Scholarly religion. It is a mess of organization, referencing works that the library you're in do not possess, quoting scriptures that have since been erased from the accumulated mess that is the Religion of SEED. There is one thing you learn, however. At the end of the book, many concepts that were brought up were struck down as unholy by the Pontifex, all of them receiving a direct refutation from SEED itself.

[20] McCreary, given that name by SEED, was the only [angel] you can find direct physical evidence off. Unlike the [demons], who, if you consult a map and have the correct material, you can plot their casualties and path. Which, you quickly notice, generally follow the same way-- all towards the holy city. Regardless, McCreary emerged from the inner sanctum of SEED, bathed in a golden light. SEED spoke for the first time in many years, pronouncing him the champion of Humanity, a grand [angel] to protect the people from the beast at the gate. McCreary tur the very earth into massive spears to impale the King of the Dead and his infected minions. It twisted and screeched, drawing down fire from the sky to strike the Holy City.

The battle lasted for days, the earth being ripped asunder from the forces involved, never healing, until the Great Beast was slain and its body burned. McCreary succumbed to his wounds in the Holy Chamber of SEED, his body preserved and in viewing.

[11] The world history book is dry, and dense, containing a complete rundown of a two thousand year history. With a glance to a local calendar, you notice it is ten years out of date. Man was created in year zero, demons first arrive a thousand years down the line, after the foundation of the great city and the scholars of SEED, seeking to oppose his holy work. A wide variety of Pontifexes came to power, were killed or died of old age, did great things, and the next generation reversed those works. The last one thousand years or so were the Crusades, a sporadic series of wars that lead to significant losses of human life.

[?] The next is a forbidden work, only for reference to deal with heretics, as the branding on the front states. You notice, after straining your eyes some, that it is written in a Scholar's Tongue that you would not have access to while attending the Academy. So, you do what any self-respecting scholar does, and read on. It supposes that the living SEED is not the true master of the Cosmos, but rather an ancient evil. That the true master of the universe is an entity representing the void between worlds, which even the SEED cannot conquer, despite its struggles. There's no evidence that it presents to prove this theory, and you cast it aside with a sigh.

"I didn't know you knew how to read," Emma calls to you, emerging into the library, arms crossed loosely over her robes. She seems hesitant. "I wanted to thank you for last night. I greatly appreciate what you did for me. Sorry if I was..." She trails off into silence, glancing over to you.

It is six pm in the evening, on the second day of your vacation.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 26, 2020, 12:33:49 am »

Hugs. Now.

Once we've expressed proper gratitude and relief and all those warm fuzzies, ask Emma what she knows of last night's attack-- and more importantly, what (if anything) we're going to do about it.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2020, 12:48:33 am »

Hugs. Now.

Once we've expressed proper gratitude and relief and all those warm fuzzies, ask Emma what she knows of last night's attack-- and more importantly, what (if anything) we're going to do about it.

+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2020, 01:48:11 am »

Emma's eyes widen when you hug her, and she returns it awkwardly, not accustomed to being hugged by you. When you pull away to reclaim your seat, she stares after you, confused by the affection. She smiles quickly, however, relaxing into a chair across from you. Organizing the books, and your jotted notes, you ask her if her father got back to her yet. She shakes her head, explaining, "We'll hear from him tomorrow, one way or the other. That's about how long it'll take for the family hover-ship to get here if he gets the message tonight."

"You'll probably meet my brother." She looks uncomfortable, before hastily amending "I'm sure he'll like you. Just be as respectful... as required... of our respective stations."

"My brother will take care of the situation." She finishes, after trailing into an awkward silence, "One way or the other."

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:27:28 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2020, 02:26:49 am »

"I think I saw him before I came to the Academy.  He has a fine weapon.  Is that a family heirloom or was it acquired in another way?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2020, 08:33:05 am »

"I think I saw him before I came to the Academy.  He has a fine weapon.  Is that a family heirloom or was it acquired in another way?"
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2020, 11:44:10 am »

Am I right in thinking that Emma's family is the same "warlord" and co. that old guy wanted us to kill off?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2020, 12:25:33 pm »

Am I right in thinking that Emma's family is the same "warlord" and co. that old guy wanted us to kill off?
i think the guy you are talking about is the one the other posts are referring to

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2020, 01:11:57 pm »

Well they were Warlord and Heir at one point, but that seems to be a title. I think they were pushed out of the position by the current Warlord
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 381