00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253183 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War
« Reply #5595 on: March 09, 2021, 03:22:16 am »

I think that would also be a good thing to ask him.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 09, 2021, 06:51:24 pm »

The Applegate Farmstead is a village in of itself. A long series of wooden bunkhouses run parallel to one another. They are well-maintained and clean. Their windows, while open to the sun, are fogged with internal heat.  Another building contains a well pump and a man-sized, thrumming powerplant. A guard, in surplus Crusader gear, dips a nod to Eric as the two of you pass. Another outbuilding, the barn, contains a small herd of large insects and a pair of [Bos Primis]. By a small fence you come to a stop, looking out over the potato fields.

“[HiNutrPotatos]. MacGruder distributed the seedstock a few weeks ago.” Eric doesn’t sound pleased.

“You sound upset.”

“It’s bad for the dirt. They take up too much nutrients.”

You frown, looking out over the fields. “Everyone is making sacrifices. Some more than others.”

“Yeah.”

“That’s why I wanted to talk to you.” You start, “I wanted to thank you for your’s. You pushed yourself hard. Harder than anyone. I’m sorry. I didn’t expect it to-“

Eric lifts a hand. “I knew what I was getting into, Mother Pheonix. No need to thank me.”

“You going to retire here? When the war is over?”

“Nah’. The Thornig Act is going to relocate us when you sign it. But I might start a farm – or maybe go into politics. It might be nice to represent the people in that system you’re planning.”

You raise a brow in surprise. “Politics?”

“Yeah.“

You nod. “I can see it.”

The two of you look at the fields in a comfortable silence. Then, almost idly, “How are you and Isela getting along?”

[16 vs. 5] “I—we have a positive, professional relationship.” Eric hesitates, stuttering. “She’s modernized our military and I support her plans for the Crusaders in our Post-War future.” He shrugs, not meeting your gaze. You notice that he isn’t meeting your gaze.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:56:30 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 09, 2021, 09:59:51 pm »

"Eric, you can tell me anything.  I won't get angry and I promise I will withhold judgment.  Please, what are you not telling me?"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:09:09 pm by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 09, 2021, 10:09:34 pm »

[15 vs. 7] Eric winces, rubbing at the back of his head. "Well, apparently...uh...she doesn't have any family around. So...I...invited her over to meet mine." His lips curl into a frown as he continues, "I didn't want anyone to think something weird or unprofessional was going on -- and I didn't want you to think that either."

With his admission of guilt, he scratches at his stubble and avoids your gaze, flushing.. You breath an exasperated sigh as you study the young man.

"No plans to overthrow me?" You venture, half-jesting.

"Not as far as I know." Eric looks shocked. "I mean, at worst I think she wants to limit your powers a bit? Give more privileges to those that served in the Crusaders. Modernize more."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:16:11 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 09, 2021, 10:25:10 pm »

"I don't think there's anything wrong with two colleagues visiting each other.  That was a nice gesture from you and I'm sure she appreciates it.  I wanted to ask you... have you given any thought to the possibility of Ascension?  Is that something you might want?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: March 09, 2021, 10:41:02 pm »

"Oh? Silas didn't tell you?" Eric questions, confused.

"Didn't tell me what?"

"That's...I probably should have expected it. That man is as wired as a fusion plant." Eric chortles, "He told me to tell you that I'm suffering from -- hell, what did he call it..." He trails off, thinking, "[Ego-Driven Realization of Ascension] through [Increased Nanite Retention]."

[10] You blink. Eric does have a lingering coil of willpower curling around him. It's weak compared to your own, but it's there. "What--what does that involve?"

"According to him, the more I fight the Plague, the stronger I can become." Eric shrugs, "He's telling me I already heal faster than [baseline] and my muscles are reinforcing themselves with..." He pauses, "Silas told me to say [Plague Based Dust]. He says it means that it's a gift from SEED. When I put on my gas-mask I feel stronger, so I guess it makes sense."

The Low Empyreal speaks more than anything else -- Avania spoke through Silas.

[19] ... but when you think about it, it does make sense. The mask alters his view of himself to the point where he subconsciously begins activating the Dust he's accumulated from his exposure to the Plague. Eric, as you have noticed through working alongside him, is a beast in combat with that mask on. He once grabbed an Insect by the face and cleanly ripped its head off. When the mask comes off, he's a quiet, intelligent son of a farmer.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:51:04 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: March 09, 2021, 10:52:44 pm »

Incredible...  a natural Ascension from sustained nanite exposure.  I never believed the old stories, but I suppose they were true.  Is this a positive change, however?  He did say that it's become increasingly difficult for him to regulate his emotions.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: March 10, 2021, 05:43:27 am »

Could him doing it the natural way lesson the effects on the emotions?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: March 10, 2021, 06:05:05 pm »

I hope so, but I wonder whether a natural Ascension from Plague nanites might be harmful in some way.  It could even be the cause of his symptoms.  We should keep a close eye on him to see if he improves or worsens over time.

"Yes... a gift from SEED now that you have been deemed worthy.  Are you still having trouble keeping your emotions in check?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: March 11, 2021, 04:25:39 am »

The plague part might be more of a problem than the emotions.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: March 11, 2021, 11:14:58 pm »

"The Nightmare is more of an issue." Eric explains. He shrugs and leans over the fence. The wood strains beneath the weight of his muscular form. "Sometimes it's just a blink away. It's worse when we're fighting."

You notice his hand curling around the gas mask. He swallows. "Sleeping is hard. But the older Crusaders know how to help."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: March 12, 2021, 04:15:47 am »

"How do the old crusaders help you sleep?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: March 12, 2021, 07:58:48 am »

"They do prayer meetings. Set up check-ins. Y'know. Little stuff. They teach how to deal with it."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: March 12, 2021, 08:40:08 pm »

"Can you focus your will, through SEED's gift, and affect reality?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: March 13, 2021, 11:40:44 pm »

"I...I don't know?" Eric looks confused and embarrassed. With a glance over the field, he shrugs, "I haven't noticed anything. What would it be like?"

"I can help with that." Fixed on the field as you are, you don't notice Emma's approach. William's unconscious form is slung over her shoulder. She flashes a small smile at your start, but continues, "If you're willing to take a risk."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 12:39:41 am by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 381