00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253201 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War
« Reply #5565 on: February 10, 2021, 06:27:00 am »

We'll this place has certainly has turned into a shit hole since we were last here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: February 10, 2021, 11:34:08 am »

"I came to visit Polly's grave." William confirms quietly. "I don't rule you. Do what you will."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: February 10, 2021, 06:26:59 pm »

How about visting the church?  Maybe Brother John is still here.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: February 11, 2021, 03:45:15 am »

How about visting the church?  Maybe Brother John is still here.
+1 I also think we should visit the doctors house that we woke up in, you know to see how far we've come.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: February 15, 2021, 09:07:10 pm »

You state your intentions.  Emma gives a dull nod. “If I’m needed, I will be at the Thornton Estate.”

“Thank you.”

Emma lifts a hand in a parting wave, leaving you to regard the church that still stands in the center of this battle-scarred town. You hesitate as you remember your supposed youth. Remember standing at these doors ages ago. Wondering if you should enter the hallowed grounds. That choice, and the meeting with that stern Mother after gave you everything you have now. Nicole gave you a name and the world. Her machinations brought forth the strength of the planet and delivered it right into your hand.

She’s a genius. Without her weaving her spider’s web, this world would be doomed. But as it stands, now we have a chance. You step through the doors. The smell of unwashed bodies assaults your nostrils. Your Crusaders lounge around heating elements or makeshift fires in the damaged building. The pews, once comfort to the praying faithful, now smolder in burn barrels or upon the prefabricated floors to provide another form of comfort. The pedestal that once held the orb of cog and nature combined, now bares a much smaller golden statue in your likeness. Your soldiers shift in confusion. Awareness dawns amid their fatigue.

The Crusaders snap to attention as you approach the pedestal. The figurine takes liberties, but there’s no denying that it is your visage they’ve replicated in the worthless metal. The Androgynous features.  Seven great wings. A las-gun in a single hand. Missing arm. Someone has, however, taken great pains to carve cogs and bullets into the surface.

[19] You unbuckle one of your restraints. Iron twists free of the floor. You add a biomechanical arm – holding the spear you once used as a nuclear trigger.

“Mother Pheonix,” Begins a captain, approaching with a swagger, his coat folded over his arm. You snap your collar tight again, taking him in. He is young, but most of your Crusaders are now. He walks with confidence, with a bowed head and a gas mask hanging from his neck. A slug rifle is slung over his back, and, an honest to the gods metal sword swings at his hip. “To what do we owe this great honor?”

“I was wondering, is there a Brother John here?” You ask, looking away with disinterest. Are my people so poor we’re using actual metal swords now?

“There are three. Is there a last name?”

“No. He would have been here before the current occupation.”

“Ah.” He looks uncomfortable. “There…there was no one here before our occupation.  Raider-trash held the church. We don’t know what happened to the congregation.” The Captain frowns and bows apologetically. “Was he a friend?”

“No.” You state. You favor him a warm smile – and leave without another word.

It takes you time to hike out to the outskirts. The remains of Doc Mitchell’s life have been picked through with a thorough efficiency. No useable metal is left. No scrap or appliance. All that remains is worn charcoal overgrown with dying weeds. Even the fateful incinerator is gone, the cement pad it was once perched on scrawled with graffiti and weathered by new growth.  You step into the remains and pace to the place of your rebirth. No real emotion strikes you, and you make to return to the city.

[12][17] You notice it when you leave – a small safe, buried beneath rubble and overgrown with weeds. It sits bolted to the concrete. Sturdy and rusting, but secure.

[8][12] Guessing what your ancestors would want, you pry it open with a touch of Willpower.

A las-magazine, some Jade Outlander coins, and SEED credits are brushed aside as you rummage – you pause when another glint of gold catches your eye. A small golden picture frame highlights a colored picture. The colors are rudimentary, having been filled in after the picture was taken, but its those colors that bring you pause.

An older woman and a young girl hug a smiling Doc Mitchell. They beam as a family, smiling warmly, if a little stiffly, at the photographer. A golden band gleams on the woman’s ring finger, and another adorns Doctor Mitchell. The young girl sits upon Doc Mitchell’s lap. A perfect tableau of familial bliss. The happiness isn’t what surprises you, though. It's the hair. Both the mother and the daughter have blood red, shining hair that tumbles down their shoulders.

A genetic rarity, among the brunette children of SEED and the insular, consanguineous children of the Families.

You feel a little dizzy as you consider this discovery.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:10:35 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: February 15, 2021, 11:59:22 pm »

Strange.  What is the connection here?  Could it be that the line of Sol has mortal descendants, and that some of them lived here?  I don't think this is just a coincidence, though I suppose it could be.  Are we related to Doc Mitchell in some way?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:44:52 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: February 16, 2021, 06:07:36 pm »

You shrug to yourself, considering for a moment, what a beautiful life that would be. You slip the photo into your pocket. You have more time to kill before the final battle.

A memento mori. You think of the photograph.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: February 16, 2021, 09:31:56 pm »

Join Emma at the crater.  It might be nice to reflect on things with her and talk about the old times.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: February 21, 2021, 09:00:57 pm »

You zero in on your one-time lover. It takes a considerable hike at a considerable clip. The brown grass of your planet turns to soggy silt as you approach the Old Thornton Estates. Villages lay abandoned. Homesteads are devoid of life. Many are marked with burns and char. You look to the horizon for that ancient castle that once stood proud over the demesne.

A single figure stands. Her blond hair billows in the radioactive breeze. Her hands are shoved into the pockets of her greatcoat. Emma favors you with a wane smile as you approach and brushes the hair from her face. In low Empyreal, she murmurs a soft, “’ello Pheobe.”

You return the smile and come to stand with her. In silence.

What was once a palatial castle is nothing but a deep crater lined with glass and rubble. The smell of ozone still lingers in the air. Latent radiation was probably seeping into your bones, dust particles accumulating on your clothes and in your lungs. Your internals will no doubt filter out the poison, but you’ll have to requisition a new set of clothes. Emma’s willpower reaches out to you – you undo your collar—

The connection is spotty, but your perceptions of reality twist.

You see the castle through her eyes, staring at an older William-ish figure behind a desk.

I was never free, Pheobe. Emma doesn’t speak, but her words reach you in quiet compose. Always stuck in Family politics. Slaved to a system. I was set to be married to somebody I never met. Never loved or cared for.

You listen to her memory, to her father lecturing her about her responsibility to the Family. You feel her anger, her hopelessness, her fear. Your stomach tightens –

“Silas? Could you…let me borrow one of your anatomy books?” A young Silas doesn’t even glance at you.

“Page two-oh-eight. Female anatomy.” Silas speaks softly as he hands you a book. You tense, but there’s no judgement there. No attempt to stop you. He knew better. “The surgeons don’t lock up the scalpels. Burn the book.”

Emma gives a sharp, unpleasant laugh. The connection dies. “…You have to suffer for your freedom. Sometimes. William became the [jaden, of jade] boy after my…outburst. After I 'acted' out.”

She spits into the crater, bitterness evident in her voice. “I’m glad its gone.”

“Lets go gather William and face our fates.” Emma murmurs, turning on her heels, “And I’ll say my goodbye to Pollyanna.”

You contemplate the crater.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:25:47 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: February 21, 2021, 10:05:03 pm »

That's one way to avoid a political marriage...  Hopefully she will find peace in time.  To me this crater represents failure, just like the one in the Holy City.  Soon this whole world will look like this.  I wonder if Alphira could have prevented this catastrophe, if she was in control?

"I'm sorry.  I promise that you'll never have to worry about anything like that ever again.  As tou know, you are a powerful member of our society now who can make her own rules."  Follow Emma.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 06:04:50 pm by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:56 am »

Guess it's time to do what needs to be done.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: March 02, 2021, 11:32:49 pm »

“All thanks to you.” Emma laughs. Her steps slow, and she turns back to you. You come to a stop behind her. “All thanks to you. I’m curious. Do you know the Thornton Family now controls the other Families?”

You blink.

“Minor and major.”

“How—”

“Your power and influence leveraged.”

“Why didn’t I notice this?” You question.

“William runs your internal affairs and your minister of the state is a firm—very firm family man. All about that blood purity shit.”

“Why—why are you telling me this?”

“Because I still care.” Emma states, beginning to walk away once more. “Power abhors a vacuum.”

You follow in silence. Mulling it over.

William sits beside a pile of stones within a forest clearing. Well, you say forest, but the trees lack leaves and lower branches. It resembles nothing more than spikes of dead wood sticking out of the earth. You hang back as Emma approaches her sitting brother. William wordlessly extends a bottle of alcohol to his sister. The two drink in silence.

William stirs. “Phe phe.” He calls.

You intrude wordlessly.

“So, Polly, righ’,” William slurs. “She was like hellfire. Gorgeous. Smart. Bold. Did I mention gorgeous? She was drop dead gorgeous.”

Emma catches your eyes and nods vigorously.

William smiles as tears well. “And I killed her. Stabbed her in the heart.”

You flinch. Emma does not. She takes another swig as William breaks down into sobs. He’s hysterical, blubbering drunkenly. You eye the bottle – and recognize the label. An Ascended’s wine. Ethanol nano-factories mixed with flavoring and colors. William is truly drunk –

“Fuck dad.” He murmurs, soft, composing himself after some time. “He came to me—he came to meh, righ’? Put a gun down on tha’ table and said three words. ‘Emma or Pollyanna.’”

Emma doesn’t speak as William drowns himself in the bottle.

“Firss’ time I killed in cold blood.” William giggles, leaning over the bottle, over the pile of stones. “But she died. She let me kill her. I hated it. I hated it. I'm glad that bastard is dead.”

William continues to cry, blubbering incoherently. Emma ticks her head. “Go. We’ll catch the next craft back.”

You walk off into the countryside, alone. Eric, to your knowledge, lives nearby. You could go visit him – or you could put it off and do something else. Or, you could go straight back to the front.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: March 03, 2021, 03:41:59 am »

Personally I think visiting Eric could be interesting.  I've been wondering what the nature of his relationship is with Isela.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: March 03, 2021, 05:54:45 am »

Yeah that sounds good lets go to Eric's house.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: March 04, 2021, 06:22:27 pm »

You return to town and make your way south. The land here is marked with an occasional dune of sand growing out from the rocky soil. The waning sun drips through the clouds of dust and snow. You walk past the fields of hardy sprouts, heading towards Applegate’s farmstead. It’s an outcropping of buildings surrounded by potato and pasture.

A large farmhouse must belong to the property masters family. A barn is raised within the pasture, housing a small herd of red-grey insects. Silos sit empty. A few farmhands tend to various tasks, but there is no sight of Eric. However, there is a sense. It draws you to the well-maintained farmhouse. You hesitate outside the door. A few farmhands gather a safe distance away. They watch you with curiosity.

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 381