00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253104 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War
« Reply #5430 on: December 27, 2020, 01:30:13 pm »

"I've never stopped...but I'm limited in my agency by my condition. An atom's edge between existence and non-existence. Strength. Growth. Struggle. As I always have and always will." The Emperor answers, with a small nod. "Magnus was my doing."

Patches huddles in the cold of the abyss. Separate and afraid.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: December 29, 2020, 06:21:13 pm »

((Wow, he helped us become threatened by Magnus?  If he helps us any more, we'll probably be dead.))

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: December 30, 2020, 01:35:39 am »

Patches, Pheobe Gainer, Pheonix suffers alone. She weeps as she strips away her memories for the comfort her elders do not provide. But there's nothing for her there. And in the end, that's all she becomes. Nothing. For a split moment. Emptiness. Complete and total in its consumption of her being. There is no screaming, no weeping, no tears—just silence.

In that void, however, there is a spark. A buried memory that smolders and smokes. Patches clings to this spark. The truth that she could never stand.

...a needle stirs you from your sleep...black liquid burns at your veins...for the first time you can think. Reason comes soon after...

"How's the progress, Clark?" Alphira speaks with an upward tilt of her chin. You stare at her, unable to comprehend. You lift your chin up to mirror her. Am I Clark?

"Good. The low exposure levels are introducing some fascinating changes in biology." That must be Clark.

"Any level of sentience?" Alphira paces around your [tube].

"No brain activity whatsoever," Clark reports, he lies! "We've begun installing wetware programming and reinforcing neural pathways for increased proficiency in high mathematics, information gathering -- other standard null imprinting."

"Fantastic. How's its projected loyalty?"

"Almost as high as you wanted without a full imprinting algorithm. We're meeting all set goals, Captain." Clark sounds proud. He begins to ramble about the wetware until Alphira cuts him off.

"How soon can we expect full decanting?"

"Within the month. Maybe next week."

"I want you to push the levels of [Dust] injection higher." Alphira states.

"...I would advise against that. We're keeping brain activity low--"

"Do it. We need results."

Alphira leans in close, revealing a scarred, twisted face. Black eyes stare at you, then widen. "It's staring back. The wretched little thing is staring back."

"What? Impossible. There's no -- shit."

"Terminate it."

"Alphira, it's sentient; doing so would violate my [Gene-wright] oaths."

Willpower rises around her, twisting into the vat -- the fluorocarbons begin to warm in response. You twitch as your nervous system encounters its first real stimulus: pain. The water boils, and it's only by dint of your Ascended biology do you survive her attempt to kill you. Her willpower fades and ebbs. You blink back at her in silence, unable to form the words.

"Decant it. Stick it in cryo. This isn't the weapon I wanted, Clark!" Alphira sounds angry as she glares at you. "It's worthless to me now! Sell or chute it to some backwater...I'm not paying you for this..."

You lay in the twilight. Alone. Half-sleeping. Half-dreaming. You struggle to find a diversion. Struggle to find something to occupy the space you linger in unwillingly. But there is nothing: nothing but the cold, cold embrace of the eternity within cryostasis.

A process begins to run—a half-entity.

"...open it using the interface..."

[Interface.]

"She says to drop it into the Void. It must be worth somethin'. Some dirt or somethin'...it could be her daughter for all we know."

[Void]. [Daughter].

"It's jus' a brain-dead brat Loomed from some backwater DNA...ain't worth shit." They discuss what to do with you -- death, slavery, or 'chuting' until they settle on ignoring Alphira's orders and selling you first chance they get.

[I'm scared.]

[Don't be. I'm here.] You create her from half-thoughts. Memories of old maternal figures from past lives. A personality to nurture and care for you...to provide something. Any type of stimulation in this hellish half-life.

You lay in the twilight, half-sleeping, but you are no longer alone...

You drift through the stolen memories of your elders. Past books in ancient libraries deep beneath the crust of the planet. To a golden palace. Through jungle. Alphira's memories were the clearest. The [Interface] gives you lives worth living by fragmenting the memories of those that came before. She assembles you piece by bloody piece until a personality forms -- a stitch-work creation.

Before she awakens the others--

Alphira stands above you with a transfusion kit. Blood streams from her many savage las-gun ruptures. There is none of that willpower you once saw, [ages] ago. She's weak, but in her eyes burns a horrific madness. She slams the needle into your arm --

You drift in space like the rest of the trash—another eternity. The Interface and Alphira plot together to save themselves. A nudge of hydrogen here. And here. And here. They consume us, our memories, our souls as the planet below grows more prominent over the years. Heat. Then pain. Then silence.

"Don't die on me." Alphias leans over you, speaking to Alphira ages ago. You are dying the same way she once did, but no one cares enough to coach you through it. Through this suffering. You take solace in this stolen memory as your life fades, as your blood flows--

"Keep breathing." Alphias swims into focus. He's wearing his old leather and plate armor from the station. A monogram of a heart sits above one of the plates. He holds Alphira delicately as medics struggle to stop the bleeding. Struggle to stop the advancing Plague from consuming her. "Please. Please. Please... Not you too."

"Sir -- she's dying. There's nothing you can do."

"There's one thing." From the pockets of his armor, he pulls out a black vial full of powdery, black, Dust. "T-try this. We found it on the lower levels."

"Isn't this--?"

"We found two."

"We shouldn't waste it! Elias is a strong warrior -- perhaps he wo--"

"Do it!" Full of righteous anger, Alphias grabs the medic by the throat. "She is my [daughter, lit. 'cell that replicated,' usually concerning adopted, Loomed children]."

A needle tears a hole.

Alphias looms over you -- or is it a medic? Who-- the world swims again -- Envy overwhelms you at Alphira's luck -- You spit a wad of blood into somebody's face. Defiance until the end! Anger at the universe that bore you into these circumstances. Anger at those that came before that did nothing to make your life better.

Patches, the emotions, the fears, the wants, and needs, cradles this spark with reverence. Could she cry, she would. But she has nothing but her grief. And her anger. This is my value. Nothing but a tool. A weapon for a childish goddess. I'm measured by my worth to advance a plan or by my ability to kill. I've stolen sparks of life from others because I have none of my own. I am a void. A null. A non-entity.

This isn't fair! I was born hated by a galaxy -- this hellhole of a planet included. I was born into war and bloodshed and death. But I fought tooth and nail to control my fate! But in the end... it's all for nothing. Every choice I make leads to a defeat, another conflict, more pain, and more loss. Why should I struggle? When gods and demons conspire against me? When I survive one battle only to find another?

ANSWER ME...please...gods above...please...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:01:50 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: December 30, 2020, 01:56:57 am »

Because you deserve to wreak vengeance upon the demons and gods that seek to manipulate you, upon the universe that carelessly subjects you to such pain.  We will give you the might you need to fight back.

One day, you will be the equal of the forces that oppress you.  That day will be glorious.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: December 30, 2020, 02:09:52 am »

We are only elders. But we fight beside you. You will pierce past this veil of meaninglessness, this struggle.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: December 30, 2020, 11:34:31 pm »

Your youthful charge struggles to speak. Wavering, she breaks down into a speck of light, flickering out from rational existence beneath the weight of her anguish. There is nothing left of her but that smoldering pain.

"...this is a moment of Apotheosis." The Emperor whispers, staring at the youthful entity in front of you. "For now, there's only a single spark. That is all that remains when every falsehood has burned away. The truth accepted. But there's energy there. Potential. A moment of revelation. A milestone on the path to becoming her true self."

"Do you wish for her adaptability, her continued strength in the face of adversity? An impossibly strong savage?" A hollow-eyed Patches stares, silent. Periodic elements untold coil at her fingertips as the universe bows to her strength. When she smiles, her teeth are razor-sharp and stained black with the Dust of Ascended. Slitted pupils track you. Fixated.

"Or is she the fire of change? A blaze with a true belief in her divinity? In her mandate of heaven?" Pheonix smiles, 'benevolent.' A pair of golden wings hangs from her shoulders. Light radiates from her, but the blood and ash of a dozen dead worlds dims that radiance. There is no mercy in her eyes. She lifts her chin to look down at her Elders. Haughty. Powerful.

"Your choice, Elders of Sol's Line. Strike while the metal is hot. Shape her as you see fit." The Emperor/ess sits, cross-legged. It flips a coin. "Will begets form, but perhaps you could settle it with a coin toss?"

The Emperor/ess smiles. You consider your choices as one, but separate, distinct entities.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:39:44 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: December 31, 2020, 12:06:11 am »

Adaptability is important

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: December 31, 2020, 12:27:06 am »

I cannot agree to bringing further pain upon Patches.  I will not push her into greater madness.  Power and adaptability are important, but not at any cost.  I will find another way to prepare her for the trials ahead.  I see her as the fire of change.  ((I also voted in the poll.))

What are your thoughts on the matter, Constantine?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:47:06 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: December 31, 2020, 07:01:36 am »

Why not both, get most of the benefits from each.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: December 31, 2020, 10:59:02 pm »

My worry is that we've already seen the results of integrating two dead Ascended.  Phoebe almost destroyed this entire world.  Who knows what will come to be if it happens again?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: December 31, 2020, 11:08:06 pm »

"Why do you hesitate? She's yours to form as you see fit, after all. Clay in your hands. A tool to use. A weapon against the corruption that festers within our galaxy." The Emperor/ess flips the coin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:28:48 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: December 31, 2020, 11:19:49 pm »

To me, she is more than that, a human being with thoughts and feelings.  Not a mere tool.  Phoebe, what do you think about these choices?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: December 31, 2020, 11:54:31 pm »

"She has no thoughts at the moment. Nothing but a particle suspended, unable to escape from the emptiness that consumes her. What memories does she have that are not stolen? What memories define her as her? Only ones of suffering and pain. All I'm offering all of you a chance to wipe it away. For her to truly become what she was destined to be." The Emperor/ess tilts their head, "What I, no, we always wanted The Line of Sol to be."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:59:09 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: January 01, 2021, 12:03:57 am »

She is her own.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: January 01, 2021, 12:10:23 am »

"...another attempt at defiance? Hasn't your Line suffered enough?" The Emperor/ess laughs without kindness, without mirth. "Your precious little stands for freedom always end the same. Perhaps you haven't learned your lesson? I can teach it again. And again. And again. Until eternity turns us all into stardust."

"Be logical. Make the simple choice I have provided."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 12:23:32 am by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 381