00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252466 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4950 on: August 22, 2020, 07:11:43 am »

You don't have to marry anyone and you don't have to blow the city up.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: August 22, 2020, 11:57:53 am »

As annoying as it is, no one can deny the power that this gives me, and the 'legal' claim over the Outlands that I would receive. Samkrend's military is more advanced than I expected, and the numbers he can call to arms will be critical in the battles to come. You muse to yourself, then sigh heavily. Overdramatically. If I attack, the Outlands will rise against the Holyland.  SEED lies. This land is no empty wasteland -- they speak of cities and nations besides Samkrend's own. If I claim this world, then I need to protect these people as well. Does my reasoning seem sound, Ancestors?

There's a knocking at your door, and you rise. Crusader Cephie stands stiffly at attention, your datapad in...his? Her? Hand. "I figured you would need this, Mother Pheonix." She gruffly reports in a masculine voice.

It's eerie how good she is at this. You flash a serene smile and dip a nod. Cephie returns to her quarters after a stiff Crusader's bow.

You collapse back into your bed, flicking through the datapad's pages to find a vid series about a teenager living in a hive-city. The entire thing is stylized to the extreme, but you notice there is no drama with immense delight. There are no difficult choices for the protagonist to make -- and no painful mistakes.

You end up watching the series for three hours, quietly ignoring any discussion within your mind's depths.

Night is falling as the sky darkens beyond the flowing curtains hanging over the glass windows. You stifle a yawn of lethargy, rising to stretch and perhaps exercise when someone taps at your window.

[-] An Inferno flows into a halo behind you as you open the curtains, peering out to spot Rekhyt, who gives a cheerful wave. He clutches a roll of paper.  You, on a whim, twist the glass out of the windows in a show of force.

"[Hello. Figured you might want to explore the city. I know a way to sneak out.]"

"This is a very blatant attempt--"

"[Oh, I know. Subtlety is for public, in my opinion. But tell me -- would you want to look at the city from the eyes of a traveler or a lord's? My father is going to post useless guards around you. Give you a guide that will show you all the perfections -- but that's up to you.]"

Your lips twist into a frown as you consider.

"[Plus, I've a map of my father's empire. A gift -- far better than silks or gold.]" Rekhyt waves the paper cheerfully.

"[I'm not interested in spending time with a psychopath.]"

"[Says the woman who killed six people this morning.]" Rekhyt's grin stretches as a devious light glances in his eyes. He raises a hand and snaps his fingers.

"...[[Touché]]"

"[I'm sorry?]"

"[Sorry, it means good point.]"

"Ah. [ Yes, it was. Well, what do you say]?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: August 22, 2020, 12:24:08 pm »

Your reasoning is sound, exploring with Rekhyt sounds like a good plan, as you’ll get to see the city in full

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: August 22, 2020, 01:01:48 pm »

Go for it.  I agree with your reasoning, and I am very pleased to hear it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:58:48 am by ZBridges »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: August 22, 2020, 09:32:24 pm »

It was important that you make the choice, but it was important that you understand it is a CHOICE you needed to make, not a certainty.  Being forced into a role can be... difficult.  Even if you enjoy it in the end.  I just wanted you to understand there were realistically other paths.

Your reasoning is sound, but meaningless before your will to enforce your new goals.  I am glad that you feel a duty to the people in general, it is the right thing to do.  Even if it brought me pain again and again.  I mean brings you... ha ha... alright.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: August 23, 2020, 07:07:52 am »

Go on the tour with the guy, you'll get to see way more interesting stuff on a small tour than the one with guards and stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: August 23, 2020, 01:32:29 pm »

You sigh, stepping out of the window and twisting it shut behind you. You withdraw your datapad, sending a quick message to Cephie.

Surveying the city with Rekhyt.

Is that what they call it here? Have fun!

You give a flick of your fingers, dismissing the application with a small frown. Rekhyt is more interested in the datapad as opposed to your rapidly flushing face. You control the embarrassment and gesture him forward. But he doesn't move; instead, he reaches into his satchel and withdraws a long cloth hat. You don't hesitate, slipping it on and hiding your...unique hair color beneath it.

"Good. Next is the clothes." He withdraws a long poncho, tossing it to you. "Should cover the uniform. Keep you hidden."

You slide it on, and he walks around you, rubbing at his chin. "Hunch your spine a little. Not too much, but you're too stiff.  You've a soldier's walk. Smart people can notice."

You try to do as he says, and Rekhyt only sighs. "That will do."

"I'm unskilled in sulking." You offer bluntly.

"You really are. You scream 'pay attention to me!'" Rekhyt shrugs as he sets out across the grounds, "You were probably a brat growing up, right?"

"I was very well behaved. Thank you very much!" You retort, balling your fist. "I know that my [Ancestors] think the same!"

"Ah, I apologize -- you're still a brat." Rekhyt nods politely, and just as you're about to call him out, he lifts a hand for silence, crouching into a nearby bush. You sit there in the foliage for a little while, until he rises -- then the two of you make a break across to a small stone gate. Rekhyt jimmies the lock open with a small scrap of metal, and the two of you slip into the breezeway, crouching as you cross the military section of the palace.

Finally, behind another locked door are the streets of the city. A guard doesn't even glance at you or Rekhyt -- he stares straight ahead. Rekhyt presses a small clinking sack into the Guard's pocket as the two of you pass.

You rest in an alleyway, and Rekhyt gives a nod, slipping his own hair into a wrap of cloth. He does the buttons on his vest and flips his sash inside out. "Right. Where to first, Goddess?"

"What is there to do?"

"Well, this is quite the city. Food vendors are on just about every street -- so are temples. There's a brothel on every other street. The Grand Bazaar is about a mile away. What piques your interest?"

"Hmmh...is there a temple to a god similar to me?"

"The Fire God isn't worshipped by many anymore. Only smiths and cooks." Rekhyt frowns, itching at his face, "She was popular ages ago, but has waned for more...Human Gods. With Flaws and struggles. The God of Money is the most worshipped."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: August 23, 2020, 02:25:09 pm »

How about taking a look at the Grand Bazaar?  We can see for ourselves how diverse their economy is, and we might find something interesting.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: August 23, 2020, 02:35:44 pm »

They have an economy, we don’t even have currency as of yet, why not integrate their currency into our economy as well, thus strengthening both of us, and allowing us to pay our citizens and ministers for the work they do

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: August 23, 2020, 03:00:35 pm »

We should run that by Geoyde when we return.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: August 23, 2020, 03:46:47 pm »

We should run that by Geoyde when we return.
Agreed

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: August 23, 2020, 10:07:07 pm »

Once we start a trade then the currency could be pegged to theirs for now but keep it separate in case we need to control it more strictly once the economy recovers.

I would recommend seeing the temple to money and go to the bazaar.  See how these guys handle an economy.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: August 23, 2020, 10:41:05 pm »

Hmff... "brat"? I should think not!

Friend Khudal's playing the fool again, I daresay. Pushing limits, to learn where your limits may lie.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: August 24, 2020, 08:10:48 am »

The bazaar sounds like a neat place, we should go there first and maybe learn and buy some stuff, then head to the money temple unless the temple is closer.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: August 24, 2020, 01:19:38 pm »

"Let's head to the Grand [Bazaar]. Maybe the Temple of [Money] after?"

"How about the reverse? I need to exchange some bills."

You dip a nod, and Rekhyt starts across the lain brick streets. You trail behind. He guides you accurately, passing stalls where food vendors hawk their wares. Past beggars and 'guards.' Children play in the streets, chasing and playing tag with one another. Oddly, many of these children steer clear of you and Rekhyt. One makes to step close, but one of his playmates grabs the other child by the collar. A ghost of a smile dances across Rekhyt's face.

The streets don't have the clean layout that the Holyland boasts. You have to slip through many claustrophobic alleyway and abandoned building. When you and Rekhyt finally step out into the street again, a three-story granite building looms heavily on the horizon. A statue of an Outlander coin sits out front --  a curved triangle, laid with intricate curves and relief.  Hollow channels line the edge--

"Did the symbol or the coin come first?"

"Symbol, but it got more complicated."

You nod as you enter the warm temple. The inside is the red sandstone that is so common within the Outlands, but its smooth and well-carved. Another of those coin statues lay on a high plinth --

That's...that's white nephrite jade. You stop in your tracks to stare at the shining white statue. Easily, you appraise, weighing a ton. It's carved with many intricate engravings and inlaid with gold, silver, and other shining alloys.

"You're drooling, Goddess," Rekhyt notes, coming to a stop next to you.

I...I...

"Ho-how old is that?"

"Mmmh...Recent. Thirty or so years."

"Ah."

...I couldn't tell you how valuable that artifact is, but I can tell you that it is expensive. Maybe twelve thousand or more credits? You pull out your datapad, tapping away at it—an appraisal app assists, giving you a rough estimate of [25,000 Empyreal Energy Credits].

Rekhyt snaps his fingers in front of your face, confused. "Something the matter?"

"N-No." You sigh, stowing the pad and rubbing at your face

Rekhyt shrugs, and you follow him to a small section of the main temple. Rough looking guards lounge here. They eye the two of you with constrained hostility. You cannot see the person's face on the other end of the booth, but a small lens set into the wall lets you know they can see yours.  Rekhyt withdraws checks from a pocket --

"Can I see those?"

He nods, passing you one. You note they are made out to 'Khudal [City-Clan, Jester] for 'services rendered' by 'Rekhyt Samkrend.' The god of Money's sigil is stamped on it. You raise an eyebrow. He shrugs, then lifts an arm, displaying a small brand on his inner wrist. In an incredibly small script, you notice it reads [Khudal City-Clan]. Another of those curved symbols is marked beside it.

Jade and gold coins tumble out of the receptacle, and Rekhyt deposits them into a small pouch.

You walk out of the temple, passing by a group of devotees prostrating in front of the jade sculpture. "What's the Khudal thing about?"

"I'm the family joke." Rekhyt laughs, "An uplifted bastard with too much wit and agency."

"Isn't your mother someone important in the seaside cities?"

"Yes, but she doesn't recognize me."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not a woman." He gives you another grin. "They're a..." His lips quirk, then, in the tongue of the Holyland, "A Matriarchy." He shrugs, lapsing back into his native language, "They accept me as a pawn, but only after my father made a fuss about the alliance. Rekhyt is the name my mother gave me after. Khudal is the one I was given at birth. Both are insults."

>[Lapwing, Commoner.] You note, with a frown ghosting your lips and a quick search of your datapad. A linguistic coincidence, as it means the same in [Ancient Terran Egyptian]. "I'm...I'm sorry?"

"Why?"

"...I don't...I don't know."

"I am a fool. I am a servant. I've embraced it -- and now it doesn't hurt." He gives you a grin. "And I have wings now, so it all makes sense."

"I...I suppose. It just rubs me the wrong way."

"You spoke of [Ancestors]?" He pronounces the word in perfect High Empyreal, and you glance at him in surprise. "Is that parents?"

"Ancestors." You correct, and he looks confused.

"Is that what you call your parents?"

"Yes? It's...it's a god thing." You mumble, embarrassed, trying your best not to boast. "I never really had parents, besides them. They guide me with whispers, emotions, and plans." You tap your head, and then let your hand fall to your side.

"Fascinating. Does it get annoying?" Rekhyt doesn't judge, actually sounding intrigued.

"Sometimes. But without them, I would have died long ago. They're strong and old and -- "

"Comforting?"

"...yes." You finish weakly. Rekhyt reaches out, patting you on the shoulder.

"Taking comfort in having your parents nearby is nothing to be ashamed of, Goddess. At least they care." He laughs, cheerfully.

The Grand Bazaar fills an entire plaza and spills out into the streets surrounding it. A great cloth roof is supported by a number of polished red wood pillars. A fountain bubbles away within the center, lined by statues of various indiviuals. As soon as you enter, you're assaulted by smells, scents, and sights the likes of which you've never seen. Well, at least not in your own memories.

There's household goods, technology, guns, bladed weapons, spices, cloth, crafts both foreign and local, spices, minerals, jewelry, armor, animals-- you are lost in the immense number of stalls and sellers. 

Rekhyt grins at you, nudging you in the ribs "You good?"

"I'm good. Just...I..."

"This city is prosperous. Only the Holy City was bigger. Thousands of clans and [cultures] and [nations] all travel to trade. Some say we're the center of the world."

"The Holyland was never this prosperous -- this vibrant." You explain.

"What can you expect from a bunch of stuck up priests and an overbearing god?"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:39:11 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 381