00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252251 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4875 on: August 12, 2020, 06:40:38 am »

If he can do all that as just a regular human imagine what he could do if he was ascended, I say we consider doing that at some point down the line.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: August 12, 2020, 10:16:32 am »

[20]
Spoiler: Training (click to show/hide)

"You did well drawing out Eric's potential..."

[19] William and Cephie, you realize, perk up at that. The tension draws away from their frames with the praise, and Cephie shares a nano-feast with William. You let them rest as you pace, listening to the voices in your head as they consider how to train you and the other Ascended. After just but a few minutes, they look perfectly healthy, are bickering with each other over the fight -- both are laying the blame on the other. There's no real anger, so you do not intervene. No doubt, just relieving tension.

...it's...strange seeing this from the other side. How broken and beaten they were, only for them to be so perfectly fine just a few minutes later.

"...but next time you fight a mortal just make sure you win." Emma raises a brow from where she lazes on the bench at your cutting remark. Cephie and William are shocked but recover, giving a duck of their heads and a mumbled apology.

"Sorry, Patches."

"I will, Phe-Phe."

It seems the consensus is to train willpower in an isolated area? Is that correct?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:09:24 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: August 12, 2020, 02:36:58 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: August 12, 2020, 09:12:48 pm »

...you all should see this.

<I lay out for the others a montage of the memories I've called: images and ideas, describing the manner in which I learned my trade. The twisting of formulae-- the breaking and re-breaking-- power in madness, under the will of my [sculptor.]>

We all had our trials. We can call the old drills to us-- we can grind you to still higher fires, Phoebe. An ancient and fearsome power.
...'tis an ugly process. We attempt it at your own word.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: August 12, 2020, 09:36:20 pm »

This is an interesting about-face.  You had previously prevented nearly all attempts to train and experiment with Dust, because you felt it was too dangerous, but now you are proposing much more strenuous Dust-work than anyone has ever previously suggested.  What has changed?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: August 12, 2020, 09:38:19 pm »

Five years of condensed memories are revealed. The endless drills, the weeks of sleep deprivation, and the days of starvation training were mixed with intense physical and mental strain. Combat practice in the CBT pods, followed by an immediate simulated drill; you mastered the use of each firearm you were given, you traded sword blows with the Scions of Nobility and grew strong. Then there was the training with the disruptor chains. You were forced to fight as mortals do, with no powers and no healing surges.

But the worse was yet to come. Through a combination of powerful hallucinogens, taboo arithmetic, and ascetic living, you ripped yourself apart and entered into the state of Resonance.

There, you were lost. Concepts of time, of existence, pain, and worry all became foreign. All became energy. All became arithmetic. All became concepts. You were held together only by the personality etched into the 'Dust', only by the memories you had saved.

You could, if you so choose, create a similar schedule to this. But there is no time for anything else -- besides training.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: August 12, 2020, 11:48:00 pm »

I should point out the dangers are very real.  There is a reason the first generations of ascended viewed cohesion loss as a debilitating and degenerate disease before we found out it's benefits and ways to control it.

In addition I suggest putting the program together start to finish, using the computer on Cephie's ship and leaving one ascended out to monitor the process.  This is because at certain stages two way contact with us can be lost and that advise may be useful in bringing you all out of the state or bringing out the most potential.

As to the question, this is less about how to use Dust as building up a stronger base on which to use it. 

It would also put this whole empire building (farce?) on hold.  I was rather enjoying watching this again but it should of course be what is best for the current Sol/Soul.

In addition, even at your best, can you hope to face Magnus alone?  Would the time be better spent finding a way to Loom Eric a thousand fold and building an army of emo soldiers.

Sorry no direct advise, just a lot of questions.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: August 13, 2020, 12:07:50 am »

We haven't really had a chance to hash out plans for defeating Magnus, but there are many options beyond just trying to beat him up when he arrives.  Hopefully in the near future we'll have a chance to discuss that in greater depth.

Also, that doesn't address the sudden change in my father's behavior.  He has always, always said that it is too dangerous to have low cohesion, to do anything that would lower it beyond unfurling wings, but now he wants to follow a plan that will set cohesion so low that it will push Phoenix to "the edge of insanity."  I am not criticizing; I simply want to understand.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:49:59 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: August 13, 2020, 05:01:54 pm »

My understanding of the situation has changed.

I... wasn't sure identity recovery was possible before. Cohesion loss was something I sought to avoid at all costs-- indeed, something that I deemed avoidable.

It's not, is it? Not if we expect our heir to take on the Plague, the Nobility, and survive. Only by "the triumph of Will over Reality", can such a thing be done. She'll fall apart, training or no training, if she can't learn to maintain identity-- the "I AM"-- within and despite that triumph. The only way out is through.

I'll not suggest we commit to a "regimen from hell" just yet. There's a nation here to consolidate first, and a planet to scour-- but afterwards, when there's naught left but to brace for Magnus? It's... worth considering. In the meantime, we've a wealth of mnemonic information to draw from for these smaller sparring-sessions.

Do you have memory of Alphira's training days, perchance? The methods used for her forging would be more... apt, perhaps, than our own.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: August 13, 2020, 09:27:08 pm »

[8] Alphira never listened to you -- her and Alphias were suspicious of the voices within their heads and resentful. They kept to themselves and starved you of data and new memories. You only knew they grew powerful at roughly the same pace, with Alphira becoming a match for her Sire(?) until her growth tapered off with the rise of her 'doldrums'.

You believe they focused on actual combat as opposed to training. You also remember several fights with other Ascended. Alphias, in particular, was relentless -- he never stayed down.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: August 14, 2020, 04:29:04 am »

If we're done taking a trip down memory lane, can we actually get in some training now?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:38:59 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: August 14, 2020, 06:18:20 am »

You shake your head, realizing that the others have started talking amongst themselves in the midst of your internal discussions.

"Oh hey, she's back." Emma notes after giving you a glance.

You smile sheepishly as you rise and brush non-existent dust from your clothing. "The ancestors were talking."

"Adorable." Cephie giggles, "How you still listen to them."

"Hmmh. I've been Ascended for three years and I'm probably twice as strong -- maybe you should listen to yours more often." You wryly point out.

Cephie gives you a grin, "Maybe if I was one of the Old Lines."

The wasteland spreads out in front of you as you disembark from the hovercraft. The moonless night hangs heavy, and there isn't a cloud in the sky. You give a slight shiver as the cold effects you even through your homeostasis, even through your coat. William has brought sparring equipment, and Cephie has brought nano-feasts. You approximate that you have at least a day or two before you have to return home -- Emma will need to be back tomorrow.

How/what powers do you train? How do you train Emma, Cephie and William? Which powers do they train?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:28:20 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: August 14, 2020, 09:24:46 am »

We could train Silicon Sunder, Slayer’s Blade, Controlled and Uncontrolled Fusion Reactions, Strength Boost, Energy Manipulation:Lightning, among others, some powers we’re not as experienced with

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: August 14, 2020, 02:55:09 pm »

<Mnemonic query: what other Old Lines exist, besides our own? By what name is Sadil's line known, in the reckonings of the Empyre?>

I can't do much towards the preparation of a training regimen for your compatriots-- we don't know what they're capable of yet. Test them. Find out what they can do. Find out where they can improve, and lend your expertise where needed.

As for yourself: you are skilled already, with the wielding of hydrogen and heat. I should like you to focus on other vectors today. Probability calculations; the prediction of trajectories. The manipulation and redirection of kinetic energy. The use of will to strengthen your hand, to lend force to your blows-- William can help you with that one, perhaps.

Beyond that: improvise. Extrapolate. Test yourself against the others, even as they test themselves against each other and against you. Draw from our shared memories-- from the remembrance of old wars. There are tricks there we've yet to consider, I imagine.

...Mind you set aside the Outlander silks before you begin. Wouldn't do to burn away their offerings in the fray!

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: August 14, 2020, 03:50:39 pm »

Train probability manipulation and will extension at low cohesion.  Train Emma in strengthening her will.  Train William in basic hydrogen manipulation.  Train Cephie in shapeshifting into more foreign forms, such as into a Barker or inanimate object.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:48:08 pm by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 381