00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252258 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4860 on: August 10, 2020, 04:46:25 pm »

"Alright, so, how's this going to work, Phe-Phe?" William questions, crossing his arms. Eric and Cephie look to you as well for answers.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: August 10, 2020, 04:54:14 pm »

How does this sound?

"Let's begin with some close range melee weapon sparring, one on one, perhaps while trying some probability manipulation.  After a bit of sparring, we'll switch partners until every combination of combatants has been exhausted.  At that point, we'll discuss the results and see where we can improve."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: August 11, 2020, 04:51:37 am »

Looks good to me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: August 11, 2020, 03:33:05 pm »

"That sounds like a good start, but how will this help those with powers to train them?" Cephie politely raises her hand. "And if we spar with Eric we'll have to put on kiddy gloves -- especially William."

"I can keep up." Eric grumbles, his lips curling into the faintest of pouts. "And it's just rubber swords."

"William broke three of my fingers and fractured my thighbone." Emma volunteers helpfully.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: August 11, 2020, 03:55:16 pm »

((The archivist of the Hall of Legends has confirmed that McCreary's Planet is now eligible for voting.  If you would like to vote for it, post a reply in this linked thread.))

The idea was that manipulating probabilities would help us become more adept at using that power, through practice.  As for Eric, however... I'm not sure how to integrate him into the session.  Maybe we can do something to help him train his will?  We did see that he can extend his will in similar ways to an Ascended.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 05:47:06 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: August 11, 2020, 08:42:04 pm »

((Voted.))

...Eric is here to be tested: no more, no less. He took something from the Plague, in his days on the Defensive Line-- I want to know if he can wield it. He is of little use to us, if not.

As for the use of our powers... this little stick-fight is naught but a warm-up, godling. Take your fellow Ascended somewhere barren, when you're ready-- somewhere you can loose your will in earnest.

<Mnemonic query: training procedures of the Ascended, and of the Line of Sol. Old drills and schedules, such as the Void Slayer would have devised for me in youth.>
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:02:55 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: August 11, 2020, 10:00:58 pm »

[12]
Spoiler: Training Regimen (click to show/hide)

[20]"Cephie, William?" You state, after some quiet contemplation of Eric. "Both of you will fight Eric at the same time. Non-lethal force, but if he spends another few months in the hospital, then so be it. Cephie, you may use your powers. William, do the same. No healing surge unless it's life-threatening. Don't hold back."

Eric swivels to stare at you in surprise. William and Cephie, however, are a little less shocked. They dip nods. William cracks his knuckles with a clank of metals, and Cephie twists wings from the earth. Eric frowns. Then, he nods. "I want a shield."

You arrange for one.

The two Ascended stare down at Eric, who rolls his shoulders. The heavy steel shield is strapped to his handless arm, and in the other, he wields the rubber sword. He glances up at Cephie, who's wings beat lazily over the sparring room, then backs down at the shirtless William. After a nod, he pulls on a Crusader's helmet, hiding his face beneath the gas-mask. "Ready."

[16+2 vs. 3+2/14] William surges forward with a savage strike as Cephie begins to fire dulled shots of carbon at the Crusader. Eric deftly blocks the projectiles, stepping to one side and slamming his sword into William's chest. William grunts in pain, but tries to catch Eric with a backhand blow -- he blocks it.

[18] You pay attention to his Willpower -- it dances across the battlefield, splitting its focus between Cephie and William. It beats with a rhythm -- that of his heart. It steadily increases as he divides offense and defense between the two Ascended.

[---17] William's willpower surges as his muscles twitch and bulge. He growls as he begins to lay a flurry of blows down on Eric. Lines of blood drip from William's ears -- no doubt he forced the command through.

[14+2 vs. 14+4/13] Eric grunts as he's struck across the head, across the chest, on his shoulder, but he keeps his shield up to prevent Cephie from drowning him in bolts of carbon. She twists one around him, coming from an unguarded area, but he steps smartly to one side-- even as William smacks him again.

[20] You feel a change in Eric's Willpower. It begins to tighten around him. You follow it into his limbs, into his bones, into his flesh. Ever the stoic, you are surprised when he growls a swear word—the rubber hilt in his hand creaks.

[19+3 vs. 13+4/12][5] A thick snare of carbon wire wraps around his ankles, rooting him in the spot. William takes the opportunity to step forward, but Eric breaks free with a twist of his legs. He steps into William's guard as the prince charges him, and slams his shoulder hard into William's chest. William staggers back even as Eric blocks a blow from a wild shard of carbon directed by Cephie's manipulations.

[13+3 vs. 9+4/4] Cephie's projectiles are more of an annoyance than a severe threat to Eric, as dull as they are. Whatever he doesn't block, he tries to dodge. Whatever he doesn't avoid, he shifts to try and take less of the impact-- William, on the other hand, continues to strike at him relentlessly. The rubber swords bend and twist -- until they shatter.

[20+3 vs. 17+4/11] Eric suddenly shifts -- and slams his shield into William's face. Blood splatters out across the floor, but Eric doesn't even glance at it. He grabs William by the neck, ignoring the prince's grasp on his wrist, and lifts the man. You wince as Eric slams him to the ground face-first--

He brings his shield down on William's back with a sickening snap that echoes through the area. William yelps, going still with a helpless growl. He tries to drag himself back into the fray even as Eric trudges away. With one threat gone, Eric turns to stare at Cephie through his mask--

"You aren't human anymore." Cephie muses.

Eric is silent.

"You're infected. Part of the Plague."

[15+3 vs. 16] A mass of carbon lashes out, scouring at Eric's flesh, but he stands steadfast, weathering the storm. He twists his shoulder back, his fingers loosening his shield--

[15] Eric's Willpower once again reinforces his body. You can hear his bones creak, his tendons strain -- the beat of his heart is hammering out a buzz-saw's staccato.

[18+4 vs. 19] A bolt of carbon slams into his head, and he staggers, but stays on his feet.

The shield launches through the air, a blur of steel, and slams into Cephie's chest. She grunts, her concentration faltering. She hits the ground with a thud, coughing horribly. Eric approaches--

[7+4 vs. 13][5] A coil of carbon twists itself around his ankles but shatters easily under his heavy steps. He reaches down to grab Cephie and --

"That's enough." You call.

Eric hesitates, his grip tightening enough to make Cephie wince -- she growls, and a spike juts from the floor to threaten Eric's center of mass.

He lets go of Cephie, as she wipes the blood from her mouth. Eric turns to face you, his gas-mask hissing heavily as he catches his breath. The Willpower falls away from his form, and he slumps beneath his weight. Blood drips from his scoured flesh, and he lifts his mask only to spit out a tooth. "Well, Pheobe? Do I have your approval?" He questions, voice dull through the filter.

William groans as he rises to his feet, and Cephie coughs up another bit of blood as her punctured lungs and broken ribs heal. "I...he caught me by surprise." She mumbles, rubbing at her side, "He's not human. That's for damn sure. I couldn't directly effect his carbon or calcium."

"He broke my fucking back!" William growls, "The fuck man!?"

"Orders were not to hold back or restrain myself." Eric dully notes, even as he sways. "And I've wanted to do that for a long time."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:22:43 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: August 11, 2020, 10:51:03 pm »

Interesting.  His strength is on par with that of an Ascended, perhaps greater. 

"Perhaps that display was a bit too much, but it was also extremely impressive.  There is absolutely a place for you here, among us."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: August 11, 2020, 10:55:52 pm »

"Am I dismissed?" Eric questions, quietly.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: August 11, 2020, 11:02:29 pm »

"You are dismissed."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: August 11, 2020, 11:17:08 pm »

As if snapping from a trance, no longer do you see a warrior of savage might in front of you, no longer the avatar of battle who snapped a God's spine. No, he seems to shrink and lessen. Eric hits the floor as soon as you speak the word, all strength leaving his body. His willpower retreats, weakly coiling around his prone form. He breathes heavily in his unconscious state.

Cephie steps over, kneeling down and pulling off his helmet.

[18] The man's eyes, what you can see of them through the bruising, shine with silvery black hues. The color is fading, returning to the plain, natural brown. Cephie frowns, looking up at you. "Eric is still a human. Well, we all are, but you know what I mean. His body doesn't posses the same structure as our's."

"Meaning? And how can you tell?"

"Meaning that he forced -human- muscle and -human- bone to withstand that stress. He's probably got hairline fractures in nearly every part of his body." Cephie explains, "As for the how -- his entire body right now is one giant bruise. He burst blood vessels and probably tore muscle fighting so hard."

The medics haul him away to the infirmary, leaving you with Cephie, Emma, and William.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: August 11, 2020, 11:44:04 pm »

His will is strong, but his body is weak.  Maybe we should help him Ascend, or look into cybernetics.

"I'm sorry, William, and Cephie.  Are you guys okay?  If so, shall we continue?"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:02:57 am by ZBridges »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: August 12, 2020, 12:03:31 am »

Don't apologize, they will likely see that as you viewing them as weak.  An insult.  Thank them for the good work in pushing Eric and explain that you thought he had hidden potential.

You need to work out a plan to push William past just using his physical enhancements and to stop him from needing to force as much math.  William has the warrior part down for sure but learning the true extent of what he can do is very valuable to any ascended.  Maybe a controlled cohesion breakdown plan while testing his powers?

I do wonder if Eric can inspire the same willpower in others when commanding them.  If he can learn to control it and spread the effect to others he would make a fine field commander for the mercenaries.  I would suggest against ascension right now though for the same reasons as last time.  I do not believe he is mentally stable enough to survive the process, too much of his self is dedicated to following orders.  If that willpower is unleashed without self preservation in mind it could mentally cripple or physically annihilate him.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: August 12, 2020, 12:20:12 am »

You're right, it would be rude to point out how they just got schooled by a base human, but this could serve as a wake-up call for them to work harder.  Regardless, we still have much we can work on with the other Ascended.  Maybe we should pit our wills against each other and see if we can make a breakthrough by pushing it to the limit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:57:02 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: August 12, 2020, 01:46:12 am »

Spoiler: <queries> (click to show/hide)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext