00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252166 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4365 on: July 05, 2020, 08:19:23 am »

We should contact Ashes and/or Rupert now that we know that Magnus means business.  We need all the help we can get.  Have Cephie eyeball the 50% goods we got and give us a rough estimate of the value.  In addition, see if there are any local and discreet traders near the system that don't ask too many questions.  Also, use the Unlimited Meals DRM on the dropship to produce some decadent meals for the pirates, as we said we would.
+1 Sounds like all good things to me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: July 05, 2020, 12:07:51 pm »

We should contact Ashes and/or Rupert now that we know that Magnus means business.  We need all the help we can get.  Have Cephie eyeball the 50% goods we got and give us a rough estimate of the value.  In addition, see if there are any local and discreet traders near the system that don't ask too many questions.  Also, use the Unlimited Meals DRM on the dropship to produce some decadent meals for the pirates, as we said we would.
+1 Sounds like all good things to me.
Let’s contact Rupert. +1 the rest. How long have we slept? We should tell Nicole we’re alright. How long do we have before she blows up the ship?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: July 05, 2020, 06:13:54 pm »

[-] You light the cigarette with a twitch of your willpower, blowing out the smoke. Cephie falls in behind as you stride out the door, down the corridors -- it doesn't take you long to find the bridge, but this time, you take the elevator. Murdach kneels behind the captain's console, but his helmet turns to track you. Several others are sitting at the various consoles -- all of which are active. Murdach laughs when he sees you, rising from his place and removing the data-jack. "Patches! You are a true child of Sol -- spitting in the face of Magnus like tha'."

"...I suppose."

"Like a mad dog. You know what's the best thing to be, near a mad dog? A good friend!" The sensors track to Cephie, "Or the one holdin' the leash."

"I want Cephie to inspect the common trust." You ignore the dig, gesturing to her. "And I need to leave the ship."

"I'm guessin' its somethin' to do with the hovers tha' are idlin' nearby."

You nod.

"We've established an access point. I'll have a lad show ya'. Come along with me Cephie."

A youth is summoned to the bridge, and after taking the elevator to another floor, you, Cephie, and Murdach part ways. You head to the access point. Its an airlock on the top of the ship, one of many, but you step on an elevator and rise up, into the sunlight. The waters have receded on this part of the Valhol, leaving a fine drying mud across the surface. Chunks of ice melt on the warm metal.

"You've drained some of the lake, I see." You walk to the edge of the ship, looking at the dropoff into the water below. The many cracks and rips in the hull are apparent, but it shifts beneath your feet.

"Started up our hydrogen factory, ma'am. Fuel for the secondary."

You nod, letting your wings slip free, lifting into the sky. Over the crater lake you glide, past the Valhol work-crews that dig out skeletons and corpses from the nooks and crannies of the ancient vessel. Past the ring of ice and the slurry of water, pass the marshy land with its stalks of gold that sway in the breeze. A camp has been assembled. Five hovercrafts sit in a clearing, a number of Warmachines stand at attention, but visibly relax on your approach. William strides out of a tent, approaching you with a cocky grin.

"Phebe! Good to see you." He calls.

"William. I'm showing up to let you know I'm not a hostage."

"If something can hold you hostage. we wouldn't have had a chance." He looks through the spaces in the tree, to the black form of the Valhol sunk into the mud and ice. "That's a voidship? I didn't think they would be so big."

Tiffany Mellone steps out of one of the hovercrafts, striding towards you, followed by Nicole Gainer. Mellone bows her head, but Nicole gives you a slap on the back.

"I was told by ... your retainer? That there was a job for me here -- along with a Geoydes and the finance ministry?" Mellone questions.

"Where's Geoyde?"

"Puking his guts out. Hoversickness." Nicole offers cheerfully.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: July 05, 2020, 06:57:05 pm »

"The captain of this vessel and I came to an agreement.  The crew will help us beat back the Plague, but only in return for certain allowances."

"I need you and Geoyde to work out a deal with them regarding the mineral and energy deposits on this planet.  We have datacubes with information on the locations of significant mineral deposits, so they will have to be accessed by a Child of SEED to provide you with the necessary information.  Use this information to negotiate."

"In addition, we are entitled to 50% of the goods kept in the common trust on this vessel.  We'll need a team to work out the details of the valuation and determine what exactly we are entitled to."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: July 05, 2020, 10:01:26 pm »

"Understood. I will inform Brother Geoyde." Mellone gives another bow of her head, "But I came to speak with you about your trip. You have five days until your meeting with the [Khagnate]. I've assembled a dossier if it pleases you, about him and his nation."

"Oh. Right. Yes." You slip it into one of the many pockets of the greatcoat, giving a nod. "Thank you, Daughter Mellone."

"Yes, Mother Pheonix." Mellone turns away towards one of the hovercraft, filled with a number of nervous-looking individuals in clean, precise Scholar suits, with green and teal capelets dropped over their shoulders. An ill-looking Geoyde is helped into the ship by one of these Scholars. He gives you a miserable look, and then the ship closes behind him. Another, a group of Warmachines, lifts up first, followed by the delegation. You spread your wings and join them, by the time you catch up, the hovercrafts have landed.

Murdach is brought up in the elevator -- with seven of his Voidmarines. Fully armed and standing a few [feet] taller. Hard as steel and dark as the void -- your Warmachines, when they disembark, do not seem as intimidating as these behemoths. More like children playing dress-up than actual soldiers.

"Ah, so this is your delegation'? And here I thought you had grit." Murdach taunts with a harsh laugh. "Bringin' such a paltry force."

[17 vs 12]
"No, these armored individuals are extra guards for you, for the duration of our discussion." With a flex of your wings and a cheerful smile, you return the taunt with a wide, beatific smile. "My wrath needs reason to abate, sometimes. As I'm sure you've witnessed."

William approaches from behind, giving a dark chuckle. "You truly are the Angel of Mercy, Pheonix. Sometimes I wish you weren't so damn merciful." His eyes drift over the armor of his counterpart, Murdach, and the smile curves wider. "But then why would you need me? Besides my stunning personality?"

"Well met!" Murdach laughs, then gestures. For you, he's speaking High Empyreal, but you know for a fact he's also speaking the SEED common tongue-- "Come on in. Enjoy our hospitality -- please remember, everything has a price! Take a rest!" Then the sensor on the top of Murdach's armor twists towards you. "Pheonix. My people wish to question you after my speech and before the calling of the vote. If you want our assistance, sway them."

You nod, adjusting your coat as you and your retinue enter into the ship. Nearby the airlock is a well-furnished, comfortable room, with a long table surrounded, except in the middle, by chairs. All along it, in front of each of the chair, is a console raised from the wood.

A motley collection of pirates enter, sitting across from the precise and neat lines of your bookies. Geoyde and Mellone take leading seats, as if shielding their people from the other group. The pirates laugh and joke with each other, while the bookies and diplomats sit quietly.

"Wait here." You murmur, as your Warmachines take up defensive postings for the diplomats. William sits on the table between the two groups, smiling cheerfully but he's coiled like a spring. A hand on his belt and his cybernetic muscles bared.

"Aigh'. Listen up. Only goin' to speak like this once." Murdach stands in front of a crowd of huddled pirates, their outfits as mismatched as their personalities -- cybernetics are on full display, and in the back of the group, you even notice a monster of a man, his torso implanted on to eight, long legs. His arms have been replaced with a number of tools, grasping implements and various gear. Another which catches your eyes is a dark-eyed young man, skinny and thin, with great bags under his eyes. He has no ears, and his shaggy hair is wet and covered in algae.

"So, I stand before you with Pheonix of Sol. Descendent of Regis, the Rimward King, the Slayer -- and of Sol herself! Fate crossed our paths, and she wishes to make a deal with us. Now, we're dead in the dirt. This is not our home, this is not the skies we've been promised, nor the night that we own. But, for the foreseeable future, we're grounded. Now, I've had to make some concessions -- we need land for food and settlin', we need minerals and energy for industrializing, and we need somethin' to gain from all this. Pheonix here wants our survey data, some of our common stock--" Murdach weathers the boos in silence, but he raises his hands. "...but more importantly, she wants out weapons. This planet is fertile -- we know that. This planet is wealthy -- we know that."

"But more importantly -- and this is news I ain't been wantin' to break, but it might change some of your minds." He raises his hands. "In this system is all the precursors for a Relay. In fifty, to ninety years, this system will have a Empyreal gate. Mark my words. Its only fifty light years from the old Relay for this sector of the Rim."

"Now, with that consideration' in mind -- how many of you want to settle here now? How many of you want to turn your [swords to plows], and with a smile, hand your grandchildren all the riches a new sector like this can offer? I'll turn this over to Pheonix -- you know the Lady by now -- a trueborn Pirate, like her Line-Mother Alphira. Like the Rimward King. Like Old Sol! She ripped herself apart to spit in the face of a damn Noble. She's threatened to kill that very Noble for the slight of makin' her bow! What do we have to fear when we're contracted to this monster of a Lady? Nothin' but our own damn prides."

Murdach turns, stepping away -- and with a gentle push of his backhand, nudges you into the center of the crowd. Somebody calls out from the assembled Pirates, curious, "Why'd you do it? Why you wann' kill Magnus?"

[1]
Your breath catches in your throat. You open and shut your mouth, looking out over the crowd.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:04:08 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: July 05, 2020, 10:14:15 pm »

"Because fair is fair."

I doubt this is an appropriate reply, but it's an option.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: July 05, 2020, 10:58:17 pm »

((In the interests of not bogarting the entire game, I'll sit this one out.))

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: July 05, 2020, 11:01:16 pm »

((Bogarting?))

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: July 05, 2020, 11:06:59 pm »

Peace. Courage. Remember your anger, godling, and speak-- we will provide the words.

"You saw the footage. I gave him a chance-- I called him in good faith. He spat that trust in my face. He thought he could break me."
"He flies now for this world. My world. He thinks he can threaten me? He thinks he can threaten my people? I will cast him down. I will burn him myself."

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: July 06, 2020, 12:01:14 am »

[15] "Because fair is fair." You finally state, bringing confusion to the crowd of Pirates. They look at Murdach, in question, in confusion, and in worry. You pause, remembering your anger, remembering your pain. It suddenly bursts, your temper lost as you suddenly begin to spit words like fire. You use your Voice without thinking. Without restraint as the fires of your rage ignite from smoldering ash. You take a step forward, fist clenching, wings flaring.

[18+1 vs. 7+5]"I gave him a chance. In good faith I tried to negotiate, tried to speak with him-- he spat in my face. He tried to break me." Your nails dig into the flesh of your hand, drawing blood as you begin to pace. "He thinks he can threaten me? My world? My People? MY GODSDAMNED WORLD?!"

Then you exhale, hiding your wings. Another shaky exhale, another harsh breath as you keep your eyes on the floor, a savage snarl twisting your worlds. "I will cast him down. I will -break- him. Then I will burn him myself. Until there's nothing left--"

"Because fair is fair."

There's silence from the assembled pirate crew leaders and contract holders. Smiles creep across their faces. Before anyone can say anything else, Murdach steps forward. "All in favor?"

It's unanimous. All but a few hands lift into the air.

"I'll give the word to begin the negotiations of our contract." Murdach nods, dipping his head and turning away, his jewelry clinking against his armor. You turn and leave with him as the crowd disperses.

The survey meeting is...boring. At the end of it, they want a ten percent perpetual income from the sale of minerals and energy from this world. Assistance with settlement. Assistance with industrialization. Mutual protection pacts. A permanent harbor in any possible future Void docks. They lay a claim to a chunk of the ocean that they found is developing crude oils. In return, they've agreed to a fifty-year contract of military services, mutual technological development and to turn over fifty-five percent value of all goods held in common stock -- which comes to roughly, at current market prices, comes to some forty-one thousand, three hundred and forty-seven [Empyreal Energy Credits]. Cephie, who has joined you, quietly shows you the value of a single one of those credits. Currently in this sector, a baseline automatic las-gun kit costs roughly three credits. A portable, high-efficiency solar charger, about as large as a hovercraft? Twenty credits. One ton of flour? Ten credits. But it'd be a worthless cargo. Antimatter fuel? Ten thousand and five hundred credits for a kilogram -- but there's an issue.

"We can't give them what they're asking."

"[Two hundred million ha] isn't that bad. The border they want isn't even close to the Holyland--"

"Let me rephrase it then." Mellone states, having pulled you out the door to speak quietly to you. "This is not our land to give. The Outlanders own this part of the world -- this is a holy site to them! One of their folk heroes slew a [water demon, water wolf] that dwelled here. They farm this lake's banks for their grains."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:10:49 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: July 06, 2020, 12:25:13 am »

"Is that land part of the Khaganate?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: July 06, 2020, 12:29:06 am »

"Technically no, but they'll claim it as soon as the local clans realize they can't win and appeal for help." Mellone explains, after a few silent moments of critical thought. "Then it won't be raiders on beastback, it'll be hovercraft, artillery, and massed mobile infantry. We'll get dragged into it. This'll be as good as declaring war on Outlanders everywhere."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: July 06, 2020, 12:31:55 am »

"If we take the Khaganate by marriage and apply some pressure to these clans, would they be likely to surrender to our joint forces?  That would give us some legitimacy in the Outlands."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: July 06, 2020, 12:33:49 am »

"They likely wouldn't make any loud noises. There'll be friction - some clan on clan violence, as groups shuffle and resettle, but--" Mellone gives a small nod. "They'd be caught between a rock and a canyon."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: July 06, 2020, 12:35:15 am »

"I think it's worth a shot.  Let's plan on that for the time being."
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 381