00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 251844 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #3480 on: May 12, 2020, 09:52:26 am »

Cephelia stares at you for a few seconds. Then she rises without a word, shifting back into the Medic's face as she makes to leave. When she reaches the cabinet that she blockaded the door with, she bats it away with a casual shove, sending it flying into the wall with a loud crash. She's gone before you can react. Silas rushes in soon thereafter, confused.

"What the hell ha--" He stares at your bared, patched chest -- then he takes a clipboard, and scribbles a note down. "How did that happen?"

["We've been informed by the Council of Ministries that you are not to be bothered with any duties until you are fully healed. Such an evaluation will be completed by her and a team of medical professional. As ordered by Emeralda Thornton, your regent, and Communication Minister.That was their first edict."]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:58:30 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: May 12, 2020, 09:58:37 am »

We promised that one our friendship. She... may have taken offense at the order.

"Visit from another [angel]-- carbon worker. A patch over lost tissue."
"Sudden movements could tear it. I'm to ask about cough medicine."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:10:20 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: May 12, 2020, 10:16:45 am »

"There's...there's another [angel] here?!" Silas, of course, focuses on the most important part of your statement, leaving you alone to try and chase after her. He returns a minute or two later, wearing a mournful expression. He produces a small vial, capped with a small measuring instrument. "Take one capful per twelve hours or if you feel like coughing. I expected as much -- just not so soon."

Silas pauses, staring at you for a few silent moments. "Emma is concerned with your mental state. As is..." He gestures to your gloved hand, "That thing. It provided me with a chemical formula to synthesize for you."

"I'm quoting here, ' I would recommend regular daily doses of antipsychotics combined with cognitive-behavioral therapy.  Let's see if you make progress with those.  Also, requistion a leaded blanket. A leave of absence from the conflict and other duties is to be recommended.' I have no idea what the latter is, this cognitive behavioral therapy, but I finished your medicine last week, and we've manufactured a leaded blanket."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: May 12, 2020, 10:56:01 am »

Familiar words! You could tell this one exactly whence those words came-- you could reveal our many voices. I leave that choice to you.

"The Crusaders called it 'the nightmare'. Some kind of lingering [plague] damage."

Sigh. "It got... bad out there. Hallucinations. Dripping sky, writhing ground. The [plague] attacked me through it, at some point... the armor tells me I suffered a brain hemorrhage. I'm lucky to have survived."

I'm unsure how much of the [infection] still remains with us. It took up a space in our cores... the same space we all share. I'm of a mind to seek out and destroy what remains, if I can.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: May 12, 2020, 11:38:06 am »

And be pegged as a psychotic even moreso? I do not trust them to understand our concepts. Our lives.

"The...the Crusaders know about this? With your permission, I'd like to draw blood samples and interrogate them about this 'nightmare'." Silas looks thoughtful, then turns and leaves you after your observation. He returns with another Medic and a wheelchair. "Since you're awake, I'd like to show you something. I set up my lab on this level -- "

"And I can keep a secret about this duty. I feel like you would appreciate my findings more than Emma did. She was horrified, but I feel like you would be intrigued."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: May 12, 2020, 11:45:04 am »

"Yes, I would like to know your findings"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: May 12, 2020, 12:06:00 pm »

"So, besides those neat little [life support] machines that 'Lucille' had me rig up for you --" Silas and the Medic help to lift you into the wheelchair. After checking on your chest for a moment, they begin to push you out of the room, down the dull gray-brown corridors of the mountain fortress, "-- I also invented this thing I like to call a light projector! I'm amazing, I know."

The Medic wheels you into his lab, and besides for the vast amount of scientific instruments crammed into such a small space, you notice many small, white rats in cages, along with the Colossus section you gave him. In the center of the room, facing a wall painted white, is a box with a glass lid. He flicks the light on, and places a slide down on it.

"This is from the...thing you sent me."

There are many black small dots, which make up a stiff, hard wall of a round cell. They are pitch black in the light and they creep along sluggishly, even after all this time -- still alive, still functioning, however weakly. Pieces occasionally break off, only to reform anew.

"Next, is this one..."

It too has many square cell walls, but they are lined up perfectly, and not as dark in color, more transparent. However, you notice similar black dots to the first. Far less, of course, but enough to notice.

"Can you guess what this is?"

"No." You reply.

"This is from a sample of grass from the Thornton Lawns. And this...is a sample of my own blood."

Round cells show up on the wall this time, but there's more of those black dots.

"I discovered -- we are all carriers of the Plague. However, I do believe that it depends on the level -- that there's a certain threshold before we become truly infected." He removes a small device from one the tables. Switching it on, it produces a level of static, faint, but all radios do. A natural thing, caused by man-made electronics, atmospheric conditions, and residual effects from the creation of the universe itself. "Listen."

He holds in the air, producing a simple static. Then, he walks over to the segment of worm you delivered to him.

[11] It changes, becoming more orderly, but it still is static.

"However these [radios] work, so too does the Plague. If enough of it comes together, it seems like it begins to use this principle to organize itself. I've infected rats, and after a certain number, a certain amount of biomass, they start to coordinate. Without it, they simply seek out food, namely complex proteins, mindlessly."

"If they do not get enough food, their metabolism slows to a crawl, and they enter into a dormant period. Technically still alive, but unresponsive to anything besides warmth or motion, that is to say, what data tells them is prey."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: May 12, 2020, 12:11:14 pm »

Then I suppose the Plague involves some kind of [nanobots]... pathogens or viruses don't generate [radio] signals, but nannies could.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: May 12, 2020, 12:14:57 pm »

Indeed. Our own "will" is not so different.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: May 12, 2020, 12:19:56 pm »

They could be corrupted software
"This is interesting. I wonder if it's possible to filter out the plague cells from the blood. Has this been attempted in the rats yet?"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: May 12, 2020, 12:20:47 pm »

"Do the infected rats respond to [radio] signals as well as generate them? Do the infected with only enough dust for instinct, like these rats, show trophism towards such signals if that's what their fragments of will use to coordinate? With enough research we could take advantage of that, [spoof] the infections' communication protocols with [radios] or simply flood the [luminiferous ether] with noise, preventing the individual nannies from forming coherent wholes... even turn an infected being into an extension of our will, if we can learn to send [electromagnetic] radiation with our own dust...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:23:24 pm by Eschar »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: May 12, 2020, 12:27:55 pm »

"There's also this..." He turns the radio over near you -- the static once more becomes a touch more orderly. "Strange, no? You and the Plague are similar in that regard."

"I don't know enough about this technology to try and...communicate or order them, unfortunately. I don't even know where to start. This is too advanced for me -- I've been learning, but I am a microbiologist, chemist, and a dabbling doctor-- I only have so much time in the day." Silas looks apologetic, shaking his head and turning towards a corner of the room. "Filtering it out...well. I could try, but it invades other membranes as well. It's not just in the blood -- in its everything. Bone marrow, lung walls -- you name it."

"There's also this -- so, I've been playing around with the [cryogenic] pods. Now, organic material, if not properly stored, is completely ruined. I put a rat through it on a whim -- it's dead, living with all of its rat friends in Paradise, no doubt. Its skin completely just like...melted. Complete cellular destruction." He grins, then, directs your attention to a cube of reinforced glass on the corner, pockmarked with cracks. The rat looks incredibly unhealthy. Its flesh is nearly all sloughed off, revealing silvery tendons between bones. Its eyes have rotted out of its skull, replaced with ones of gray. They are insect-like, on stalks. It doesn't move until Silas approaches -- then it lashes at the box towards him, towards you, haphazardly, its reddish-gray skull cracking on the glass

"This is one I infected, then put through the same process without protections. I used a lot of the cryogenic mix, until the thermometer I was using broke apart. I capped it at [290 degrees Celsius]. The Plague virus survived."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:33:56 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: May 12, 2020, 01:32:34 pm »

As the youngest mentioned, radio jamming or spoofing could significantly weaken the plague's abilities in battle.

"Could you bring this to the attention of the Ministry of Technology? I would like them to look into radio jammers in order to leverage this information."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: May 12, 2020, 01:52:56 pm »

I wonder... had the Empyre tricks against such things we've not thought to try? The Plague War was rather after my time, but perhaps another of our Line remembers-- one of the Cadets, say.

((The Canadian kitten?))

Or perhaps Alphira. You've access to her memory banks now, after all.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: May 12, 2020, 02:24:01 pm »

The plagues were as varied as the planets they infected and enemies they fought. The Plague of her childhood was completely different, with different forms and shapes -- it had a queen, for one. I never saw it, but Alphias described it as a giant metal-coated maggot, with great tentacles stretching through the entire lower levels of the station. We fought it using spears and plate mail--its armor was weaker due to lack of gravity on those levels. We could form phalanxes in the narrow hallways--

"Sure. I don't know how effective it will be -- radios are very new to us." Silas shrugs. "But it's worth a shot, yes."
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 381