00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 242606 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2020, 11:58:10 am »

The voices deliberate, and you hesitate, sulking in the darkness.[1/1d2/now or later]

[7+2 vs. 7] You inch your way through the shadows, going around the long way towards the cannon. For a brief second, you almost bump into a drunken soldier stumbling back from relieving himself. He doesn't notice you, however, and you duck down lower behind the crate you're behind.

[10+2 vs. 10]The turret is tucked up against the eastern wall. The gunner on duty lounges haphazardly on the seat, occasionally adjusting the sight for no real reason. He looks longingly at the grouping around the heating element and takes a swig from a beer bottle. He doesn't notice you coming up behind him, either, lost in the bottle as he is.

[9+2 vs. 10] Despite being drunk, he twists when you step close, opening his mouth-- until you bash him in the face hard with the butt of your rifle. He goes down like a wet sack of bricks, his pistol clattering free from his hand.

[10] You fumble with the det-pack, switching the timer on and hastily shoving it into the targeting and control apparatus of the gun. It begins to count down, and you scatter, slipping back the way you came.

[5+2 vs. 6] A cry goes up from the guards. Somebody noticed something. Maybe you fleeing, maybe the det-pack, or perhaps the unconscious body of the gunner. It doesn't last long, though, before the det-pack explodes in a burst of concussive energy. You glance back, noting with satisfaction the shattered glass of the turret's lens and leaking coolant element.

[7+1 vs. 7] That sobers up the guards, who quickly sound the alarm, but its too late, you're back over the wall with a grunt of exertion. With shaking hands, you pull out the flare-gun and fire it into the air. The bright red light shines down over the compound, illuminating the panic-stricken guards. Commanders begin to yell orders, and you take a moment to move away from where you just shot the flare.

You, and everybody else in the compound, can hear the faint roar of the gunship in the distance.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:23:45 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2020, 01:02:39 pm »

Beautiful.

Let the gunship wreck some stuff, then make our way sneaky-like to the Villa with rifle in hand! We've got an assassination to perform.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2020, 01:03:40 pm »

Hmm.  I guess I worry too much.

Beautiful.

Let the gunship wreck some stuff, then make our way sneaky-like to the Villa with rifle in hand! We've got an assassination to perform.
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2020, 01:22:00 pm »

Hmm.  I guess I worry too much.

Hey now, the last time we rolled poorly in a fight we got half our spinal cord shot out from under us. There's a reason we've been worrying about stuff-- lasguns are scary!  :-X

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2020, 02:59:20 pm »

Beautiful.

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 03, 2020, 11:19:41 pm »

Weak las-gun fire strafes into the night from the compound as the gunship accelerates into view. None of the Thorntons respond, the ship a silent black omen in the sky. With no moon to illuminate the night, it drifts like a phantom, a ghost, until it comes close to the compound. Two shots from the front of the ship hit the southern wall and explode it into fine concrete powder. Guards scurry to and fro, trying to take cover- only to be cut down by high-powered conventional rotary cannon. It rains lead. Then, the doors swing open, and the excellent marksmen of the Thornton family begin to pick off targets from the safety of the sky.

William stands, illuminated by an inner light, highlighting his fair features and blond hair. He's smiling, laughing as he tosses grenades and picks off any who might try to stand and fight.

[8] You pause, appreciating the sight. William stands proud and triumphant, even as las-gun shots ping into the armor of the ship by his head. He never stops laughing, never stops shooting, and never stops commanding.

[12+1 vs. 17] You sneak around the wall, hopping over it near the Villa-- a las-gun shot cracks into the concrete beside you, and you fling yourself to the ground, swinging your rifle up and around.

[11+1 vs. 2] A young guard tracks her rifle to follow you. You're too fast, and spray her torso and thighs with automatic laser pulses. She still stands after a shot hits her chest. She has a thick vest on, but the ones that caught her thighs snap her back. You scramble up into cover as she goes into shock. You're sure she's bled to death by the time you check your fingers and toes.

Three others look to the commotion, noticing their fallen comrade.

[10] The attack ship takes this moment to hover nearby, blowing away two of them with concentrated fire. [17-2] The guards fire back, holding their position. One aims down his barrel to fire at you, rifle lifting--

[13 vs ...1]  Holes appear in the guard's chest in a burst of bloody steam as you hold the trigger down. He dies.

[15+2 vs 18][Hitloc:12] You're knocked back by a blow to your stomach, the wind knocked out of you all at once. You're stunned, but not enough to stop you from ducking back into cover to feel at the wound. A gaping hole has been blown in your vest and the coat beneath, cracks radiating outward from entry point. The bottom plates are shattered too, vaguely hot to the touch in that curious las-gun way. As for your flesh-- you aren't bleeding. The armor in your stomach area is compromised, however. Another shot will go right through.

While you were making sure your insides were still inside you, the gunship has killed the other guard in a hail of las-fire. You rise, tipping a salute to William. He nods his head towards the Villa.

[20] No other guards await you before you reach the wide double doors to the Villa. You find them locked and almost start laughing. [4] Blood is rushing in your ears as you lift your rifle and blow the lock clean off. You kick the door down-- and find two guards, looking stunned.

[5,1 vs. 5] One blinks, the other starts lifting his rifle the same time you do.

[20 vs. 10] You hold the trigger down as you lift-- he tries to line up a shot. That's the only thing that saves you. You kill both of them, their blood splashing on your rifle, on you, as you gun them down. You're sure they're dead-- no one can have that many holes in them and still be alive.

The Villa is open before you. The gunship provides cover at your back.

Somewhere in its depths, a baby begins to cry.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 03, 2020, 11:36:36 pm »

Quick, if we can: reverse our vest back-to-front, so that the damaged bit is behind us. We're more likely to get shot in the gut than the back right now anyhow, and we've still got our duster on the right way just in case.

Advance into the villa. Keep our rifle up.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 03, 2020, 11:38:42 pm »

Quick, if we can: reverse our vest back-to-front, so that the damaged bit is behind us. We're more likely to get shot in the gut than the back right now anyhow, and we've still got our duster on the right way just in case.

Advance into the villa. Keep our rifle up.

+1.  I think it makes sense to proceed carefully and systematically, room by room, while keeping our ears open for anyone that tries to run.

Also, based on the status... we appear to be liking this a bit too much.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:55:50 pm by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:17 am »

Creative!

[-] You duck into a bit of cover-- the first room you can find, and adjust your vest, pulling it around so the thick band that once protected your lower back now protects your abdomen. The vest now, however, feels a bit more encumbering to move in.

Rising, you lift your rifle, stepping down the ornately decorated and lavish insides of the Villa hallway. You check each room, and each room is more empty and well-furnished than the last. You advance up the stairs with careful steps.

[1/1d10][2 vs 2] A single guard stands at the top of the staircase. He misses you, you miss him. It's an awkward moment for both of you.

[13 vs. 1] The retort of your las-gun sends him sprawling for cover, shattering his vest and blowing a crater in his thigh.

[13] He scurries behind cover, breathing hard, and you sit still, ducking beneath his line of sight using the staircase.

[13 vs 13-3] You both exchanged fire again, his went wide, but your's turns his arm to mush and shatters the wood paneling. He drops his gun, and you rise, approaching the door he was guarding. The baby is continuing to cry, and from within you hear shuffling. The other door is open, and a man sits in a chair, highlighted by a bank of security cameras, which show the compound in all its devastation. He doesn't seem to notice you. Or chooses not to.

[8]The guard stares up at you-- and with his last breath, spits at you. You put him out of his misery.

[20]The man speaks when his guard dies and you catch him watching where you're standing through a camera.

"Ah, so I'm assuming you're the Thornton negotiator?" There's an awful lot of confidence in his voice as he addresses you. "I'm Johnny Moore-- what will tonight cost us, Thornton?"

Someone is desperately trying to shush the baby in the other room.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2020, 12:32:42 am »

If I was feeling vicious, I'd say "everything" and leave it at that. If I was feeling dramatic and stupid, I'd go on a little moralistic diatribe about how Moore hurt our friend, we'll hurt him, it didn't have to be this way, yadda yadda yadda-- all while he's readying whatever weaponry he's got available to him, I'm sure.

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for the past few hours, so... I'm just feeling brutally pragmatic.

No words. Gun Moore down.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:42:26 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 04, 2020, 01:05:44 am »

Probably unnecessary nervousness, but inspect him carefully, as much of him as is visible at least, for something like a deadman's switch.  If possible, get a look at his hands.  If it all looks good, fire away.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:13:33 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 04, 2020, 01:13:03 am »

Probably unnecessary nervousness, but inspect him carefully, as much of him as is visible at least, for something like a deadman's switch.  If possible, get a look at his hands.

Eh, +1-- be quick about it tho, lest Moore prepare something in the interim. If we don't spot anything, shoot him down.

We could always shoot off our overload if we want him dead-for-sure. I don't expect we'll need it for anything else at this point.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:20:32 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 04, 2020, 01:54:44 am »

Hmm... I wonder if it would be good to determine, for sure, that these are the guys that tried to kindap Emma.  It seems like they lack the skill to even come close to pulling that off.

Gotta check for the deadman's switch first, just in case after we blast him the whole villa will go off.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:56:25 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 04, 2020, 02:31:00 am »

[15] Moore sits at his desk, smiling smugly. He has nothing in his hands besides an auto-syringe, emblazoned with the letter 'M' in gold on the white plastic. You feel a gun reactor, beneath his desk. An assault rifle with the safety off, you figure, from how the reactor silently hums to you with energetic killing intent.

"Let me make an apology first. Going after your Family's Blood was wrong of me. A mistake. I'm sorry. You need me though, Thornton. I've got supply lines into the Holy City..we can pump this right through 'em."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:41:50 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 04, 2020, 02:46:39 am »

I'm not inclined to listen to this guy.  We can pump him full of holes.  Maybe dive to create a smaller profile and fire the assault rifle at the same time?  Or the las-pistol if the las-rifle is too unwieldy.  I'd agree to an overload as well.

We could probably fire the overload from downstairs as well, thus preventing him from being able to attack us with his weapon.

However, I was thinking about saving both the wife and the child, and using it on Thornton if he becomes difficult.  I don't think he would dare cross Black Nicky.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:55:11 am by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 381