00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 242494 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2020, 05:39:32 pm »

Aw yes

I'm not sure, but I think it makes sense to sneak up on the cannon operator, plant the charge somewhere that isn't visible from the perspective of the cannoneer, and then silently make our way back to the western wall to take cover before detonating it.

Seems a solid plan-- only thing is, I'm wondering whether it's better to kill the cannoneer or no. On the one hand, if we leave him alive he could spot us and holler for the guards-- on the other hand, killing him might prove noisy of its own accord. Not sure yet what's the best course of action there.

Attempt to discern from our current position: is there any point along the length of the wall we could conceivably scale without specialized equipment?

EDIT: Ninja'd!  :P
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2020, 05:40:34 pm »

I prefer your action.

Aw yes

I'm not sure, but I think it makes sense to sneak up on the cannon operator, plant the charge somewhere that isn't visible from the perspective of the cannoneer, and then silently make our way back to the western wall to take cover before detonating it.

Seems a solid plan-- only thing is, I'm wondering whether it's better to kill the cannoneer or no. On the one hand, if we leave him alive he could spot us and holler for the guards-- on the other hand, killing him might prove noisy of its own accord. Not sure yet what's the best course of action there.

Attempt to discern from our current position: is there any point along the length of the wall we could conceivably scale without specialized equipment?

EDIT: Ninja'd!  :P
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2020, 06:01:05 pm »

Is basically the same action with more words. Hence, ninja'd ;)

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2020, 06:24:37 pm »

[-] The wall is easily scalable with a running start. Brother Hop has made you climb more difficult terrain during your early morning training sessions. Your opinion only concern is noise. There are a few places where it's closer to a barracks or the reactor, where you -might- have some cover from internal guards.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2020, 06:30:01 pm »

Pick a spot nearish to the cannon with some maybe-cover, and make our leaping scale! Try to be quiet about it, if we can.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2020, 06:33:37 pm »

If I may, first attempt to determine whether the charge would have sufficient blast radius (if placed on the base of the eastern wall) to either destroy the cannon outright or cause the cannon to collapse without the wall's support.

Just in case we could avoid the possibility of being detected.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2020, 06:50:41 pm »

[17] After a furtive examination of the det-pack, you come to two conclusions. One, the det-pack is not meant for anti-personnel applications, designed more for the destruction of buildings and material. Two, it would blow a sizable chunk of the wall away and give whoever was standing on the other side of it a lasting taste of concrete debris and concussion.

[16] Your faint headache throbs, and you calculate that, as a very loud, flashy alternative, that overloading your las-pistol would destroy the wall and whatever is behind it with burning hellfire. It would take out the cannon, the crew, the wall, and a large chunk of the ground itself.

[13] You seem fine.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2020, 06:57:44 pm »

Overloading would solve this problem beautifully... but I'd rather save that for when we're dealing with something a bit more urgent. For now, let's just quietly make our climb into the courtyard from a covered location, preferably far from any potential guards.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2020, 07:10:28 pm »

Hmm.  I'm not sure that I agree.  Detonating the bomb will draw a lot of attention anyway, and if the range of the las-pistol is sufficient to allow us to retreat to a fair distance, we can still destroy the cannon at range.  At that point, we could retreat or take cover and hope to avoid detection until the gunship arrives to provide distraction, and then we should be able to jump over the wall without having to worry about noise and drawing attention.

We have a las-rifle, so even if the overload would destroy the las-pistol, we would still have a suitable weapon.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:12:17 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 02, 2020, 07:26:56 pm »

Main thing to remember with the overload... we only get one shot. We'll almost certainly be too starved once we've used it to do anything else supernatural: no more overloads, no healing surge for if we get ourself mangled somehow, not until we've found food somewhere to gorge ourself on. That's fine-- if we don't have anything else real dangerous we need to do afterwards.

Did we want to go do our assassination thingummy soon as we've blown up the cannon? I'm not clear how that's supposed to go.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 02, 2020, 07:33:40 pm »

William did say "before you do anything, I need you to disable the AA cannon on the eastern side of the compound. It will be under heavy guard. After that, we'll provide air-support until you are a safe distance away."  So he wants us to disable the cannon first.

We could take our time on the assassination if desired, as long as we finish before 5.  However, it makes sense to capitalize on the air-support provided by the gunship.  You make a good point about the overload expending a lot of energy.  I'll think it over a bit and make a decision this evening whether to support or not.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 02, 2020, 07:41:24 pm »

Overload would make this first task of ours real easy, I'll grant. We could perhaps try and find food inside the compound somewhere, if we had to.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 02, 2020, 07:53:26 pm »

Overloading would solve this problem beautifully... but I'd rather save that for when we're dealing with something a bit more urgent. For now, let's just quietly make our climb into the courtyard from a covered location, preferably far from any potential guards.
+1, makes sense, no need to expend ourselves unnecessarily.  Better to save it for a crux.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2020, 08:20:03 pm »

[15] Circling around the perimeter of the compound to the reactor on the northern side, you take a few steps back, and sprint at the wall.

[13+2 vs 12] You grunt as the air is knocked from your chest, heaving yourself over the wall with minimal difficulty. No alarm sounds, and no one comes to investigate as you drop down on to the other side, just behind the reactor building. The closer you are, the more you can feel the faint hum of the fusion generator in your body. It's strong, much stronger than the hum of the pistol reactors. It makes your teeth ache.

[18] The compound is a motley collection of outbuildings surrounding the Villa, most of them are pre-fabs you notice, in various states of disrepair. The guards that should be patrolling are instead drinking by a localized heating system in the center of the compound. They laugh and joke, and you watch as they change out the guard on the AA gun frequently. No one even thinks to look in your direction.

[19] It takes you a moment to notice with the 'noise' of the main power supply, but the AA gun doesn't have a reactor. Instead, you notice a thick conduit of cables leaving the reactor building, snaking their way to the cannon. They have it based on an external power supply.

A calculation forms; these men and women are incredibly undisciplined. In a direct battle with the Thorntons, they would lose, but the Thorntons have to ship in much more material than the Moores. The AA cannon is the center of the Moore's current plan-- they have no backup plan as far as you can see. Whereas you noticed several mortars at the Thornton base-camp, sniper rifles and plenty of other guerrilla-style materials.

William didn't need to send you in for anything.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2020, 08:33:24 pm »

Wow... I was really expecting more from these guys.  Should we just cut the cables or sabotage the power source, or continue with the explosive?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 381