00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252579 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #1830 on: April 06, 2020, 09:13:46 pm »

Damn.  A bad idea.  Sorry about that, is there any other way we could gather intel?  Do we really just have to fly over it all ourselves?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 06, 2020, 09:16:11 pm »

"We could work on it, sure." Emma continues, brushing her hair from her face, "But our people are already busy just trying to figure out how to broadcast radios further and how to organize them so everybody doesn't all talk over each other. I'd have to switch the lab to miniaturization...I mean, with enough time...maybe a year or two? We could rig something up, but scouting over the entire line- we'd have to make hundreds of them..."

Emma frowns, "The manpower hours on that would be difficult..."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:18:23 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 06, 2020, 09:20:59 pm »

"You're right, that wouldn't be feasible with the time we have.  There must be some other way to obtain more information... I'll think about it."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 06, 2020, 09:37:54 pm »

"...You're right, of course. My mind's running away with me."

"I'll get out of your way." (Grin a moment.) "Attend that Cutter session of William's, maybe clear the air with him a bit... our last conversation wasn't exactly the happiest thing."

"Should I be around for the radio briefing?"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:45:46 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: April 06, 2020, 09:39:04 pm »

Do you know a way to gather intel?  Alphira said it was the most important thing in warfare, and Emma said the war would be won if we had a solution.  It's worth exploring rather than ignoring.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 06, 2020, 09:39:46 pm »

"...You're right, of course. My mind's running away with me."

"I'll get out of your way." (Grin a moment.) "Attend that Cutter session of William's, maybe clear the air with him a bit... our last conversation wasn't exactly the happiest thing."

+1
We should also actually do the things we are saying we will do

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 06, 2020, 09:45:28 pm »

Eh, fair enough.

"You're right, that wouldn't be feasible with the time we have.  There must be some other way to obtain more information... I'll think about it."

+1

"For now, I'd best get out of your way." (Grin a moment.) "Attend that Cutter session of William's, maybe clear the air with him a bit... our last conversation wasn't exactly the happiest thing."

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 06, 2020, 09:56:59 pm »

What about a manned high-altitude plane with multiple cameras pointed different ways (each with high magnification)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 06, 2020, 10:19:48 pm »

What about a manned high-altitude plane with multiple cameras pointed different ways (each with high magnification)?
this could work

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 06, 2020, 10:23:36 pm »

"What about a high-altitude plane with multiple cameras pointed different ways (each with high magnification)?  Alternatively, what about tall platforms with telescope operators that communicate what they see by radio?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: April 06, 2020, 10:29:58 pm »

SEED has high magnification cameras-- they took pictures of you before.

Emma dips you a nod, smiling at you. "It's okay. I understand where you're coming from...some of the techs I've seen of [Empyreal] design is...amazing. Our's doesn't come close though; I don't think. What we have here, in this house, is more efficient than most factories. The last time I went to a las-gun workshop, one person assembles a single las-gun, from start to finish, from a pre-made kit that SEED sends. Same thing with Hovercraft--" Emma pauses at your latest idea, but dips a nod.

"...now that could work. Cameras aren't hard to find, or magnify, or to set on a timer. The construction of towers would be difficult...but you could try and press SEED into it. It wouldn't require our scientists to work on it, just a few engineers and a spare hovercraft...I"ll get them started on it if that's what you want."

"Sure. It'll happen right after the lesson, though. Part of the reason why William is doing one-- that, and...well, I'm sure he'll explain what happened during the ... 'dispute.' It was an embarrassment, and showed how little experience our so-called Warmachines had with using Cutters when facing another human."

She stands, leaning forward to give you a parting kiss. You head out the door, pausing to look over the workshop. Each person who assembles is sitting in a line. They do one task, then pass the helmet over to another person. One person solders in a piece, then they pass it over to another, who puts in another section. It eventually reaches the end of the line, where a person attaches a patch of cloth to cover the more sensitive parts of the radio. There is no mechanization, no conveyor belts, nothing more advanced than soldering irons and human hands.

The Cutter Training session is being held in the courtyard-- you can see that by the gathering of the Thornton Warmachines. When sixty of them congregate, its hard to miss. You press through, towards the ring in the center of the courtyard, where William stands, a Thornton Cutter hilt in hand. He smiles when he sees you, cutting himself off, "Hey Phebe."

"So, lets start with how a cutter works, shall we?" William begins, "It works, by sending out condensed hydrogen through a very thin pipe, usually extended by this dial." He adjusts the dial, and a razor-thin pipe does indeed rise and fall out of the hilt. "Now, having a huge flaming sword is really cool, right? Yeah-- but you -don't- need it for people." He dials the cutter down until the razor-thin sits a foot out from the hilt. "This can kill you much more easily than the full five feet this bastard goes out to."

"We use the biggest setting for bugs since we want to stay as far away as possible-- examine your range! Adjust accordingly. Now, the other stupidest thing I've seen is someone trying to block a Cutter Blade with another cutter blade. These things are built to withstand the heat of a single cutter-- not two of them. Which is hotter? [3000* celsuis] or [6000* celsuis]? Which one is bigger. Use those heads of your's-- we let you keep them for a reason!" He flicks the blade on, and gestures you out of the crowd. You lift your weapon in what you think is a good defensive position. "Now, watch what happens--" His cutter sings through the air, hissing as it goes-- and impacts your's with a weak thump. The fire between them grows hotter and hotter.

Then, William's cutter begins to melt, the pipe that already glows a bright cherry red suddenly warping, then bending. The top half of his weapon curls, starting to spit fire awkwardly. He switches it off and pulls the magazine out. "...usually they both start doing that, but let's move on."

He explains safety protections-- keeping it clean, checking for warping, replacing the piping if there's cracks or damage. If the 'blade' does warp, remove the power cell to stop it from...exploding. "And no matter how strong you might be-- don't. Touch. The. Pipe. Warmachine hand components can stop a blow-- but it'll start to melt right through after a few seconds. The pipe will bend and warp-- bad things happen. Thomas.."

"So, what's the best option for dealing with a Crusader or some junkie armed with this. Tommy." William asks, barking the name sharply and rounding on a young, male, Warmachine.

"Stay back and pump as many bullets into them as possible, Sir William!"

"Good! You've learned!"

"What do you do if a Bug, barker, or another Warmachine is charging at you?"

"Keep shooting. Use a Cutter if no one else is or if you are the designated melee. You should never, ever, drop your gun and try to have a one on one duel with the opponent."

William nods and steps out of the ring with a final, "Good lads." He comes to stand beside you with a smile on his lips.

Emma emerges from the Villa, followed by laborers carrying modified helmets for all of the Thorntons.

"Right, so, red is for squad commanders only!" She begins-- and then launches into safety, maintenance and how to activate them.

You listen intently, that is, until William speaks to you in a murmur, "Thank you Pheobe. I'm...I'm sorry it came to that. I never wanted Emma to get hurt like that."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:35:51 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 06, 2020, 10:39:44 pm »

"Thanks Emma, please do get that started."  Should we go for the towers too, once we get to the Holy City, or pass on them?  It might help us get advance warning of any assaults on the line.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 06, 2020, 10:47:33 pm »

Quote from: William
"Thank you Pheobe. I'm...I'm sorry it came to that. I never wanted Emma to get hurt like that."
“Not a problem. It wasn’t your fault. I never wanted her to get hurt either.”

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 07, 2020, 01:28:35 am »

The radio towers? Yeah, absolutely-- if we can get SEED to approve it, or if we wind up shutting SEED down outright. Those things'll be tremendously useful.

Speak soft, wondering. "She's alive. Healthy. Strong. Whole. We were so scared for her that night... but she's whole, she's whole, and eternity lies before her-- and I'm terrified to think that it could have been otherwise."

Smile faint. "You care for her. I've believed that much ever since the Moores. It's why I asked Alphira to save you, when the time came."

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: April 07, 2020, 01:31:38 am »

I meant the towers for individuals operating the telescopes, so that they can observe when an attack is inbound in any section of the line and report that via radio.

Quoting Emma from the update: "The construction of towers would be difficult...but you could try and press SEED into it."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:35:09 am by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 381