Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 110626 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2022, 05:58:47 pm »

I am looking how to limit the number of z-levels of a cavern layer ? is this possible ? I want 1 or 2 Z-levels.
Also I'd like the cavern more open and less small corridors, is this achievable ?
Thanks.
You can't (afaik) limit the cavern layers to less than 5 or 6 Z-Levels, normally.  However, you can set Cavern Layer Openness to 100 min/max, and Cavern Layer Passage Density Min/Max to 0 to achieve completely open caverns.

teabasins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 01, 2022, 09:43:26 pm »

Apologies in advance for any formatting errors; this is my first post on this forum.

I've recently used the world painter tool to create a custom map that recreates the real-life island of Mauritius at as close to a perfect 1:1 scale as I can get. I chose Mauritius because from my research, it has the best ratio of land area to elevation range to fit into any of DF's available world sizes and 400 z-levels (going with the assumption that each z-level is 2.8 metres tall and each tile is 2 metres wide). I haven't gotten around to modding, but this would be the perfect map to play with modded-in dodo birds!

(See following posts for the worldgen file; hit character limit.)

The other settings are mostly up to you, but it does need to be a 65x65 ("small") world, as with any custom map you should set the required region counts to 0 to avoid excessive rejections since not all biomes are present, and to avoid losing the mountains you should NOT "periodically erode extreme cliffs" (but a high "erosion cycle count" seems to work fine). While it isn't strictly necessary I also recommend setting a constant temperature of about 87 with no poles for an accurate climate, and I factored orographic precipitation into the rainfall map so I recommend turning that setting off for accuracy as well. Keep in mind for the other settings that a lot of this map is ocean since the main island is just a bit too big to fit onto the next smallest map size, so things might get crowded on the available land if you have a lot of civ sites, but you can add in fictional extra land yourself if you want to.

The real island that this map is based on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritius

*Edit: this still works on the Steam version.*
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 02:11:21 pm by teabasins »

teabasins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 01, 2022, 09:47:35 pm »

Mauritius world_gen.txt copypasta, elevation:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

teabasins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 01, 2022, 09:48:43 pm »

*Edited to work better with temperature setting, now only tropical biomes should generate if you set the minimum temperature to 87. Incidentally this also increases the size of the shrublands so humans have more viable settlement space.*

Mauritius world_gen.txt copypasta, rainfall:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 02:08:54 pm by teabasins »

teabasins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 01, 2022, 09:50:37 pm »

Mauritius world_gen.txt copypasta, drainage (optional?):

teabasins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2022, 09:51:22 pm »

Mauritius world_gen.txt copypasta, volcanism:

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 02, 2022, 02:35:05 pm »

Very interesting. I might give it a whirl next fort.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2022, 02:36:05 pm »

wow great work. I imagine this kind of thing will become more common as the world painter tool's interface is finally updated.

may I ask what your scale interpretation method was?

I chose Mauritius because from my research, it has the best ratio of land area to elevation range to fit into any of DF's available world sizes and 400 z-levels (going with the assumption that each z-level is 2.8 metres tall and each tile is 2 metres wide).

For instance, mauritus does not exactly have gigantic stony peaks, so is your translation a sort of factor scale of Mauritus? for instance, on this topo map I found,

one can place the high point at 828m irl. so would I be correct in saying the tallest mountain present in your map is 295 z levels? or was this point raised to 400z in order to expand and provide more topo detail? or (third option) am i completely misinterpreting a process i only sort-of understand?

I think your map reveals an important fact about the realistic scale of DF mountains, which is that they are not realistic at all.

teabasins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2022, 05:59:33 pm »

may I ask what your scale interpretation method was? For instance, mauritus does not exactly have gigantic stony peaks, so is your translation a sort of factor scale of Mauritus? for instance, on this topo map I found, one can place the high point at 828m irl. so would I be correct in saying the tallest mountain present in your map is 295 z levels? or was this point raised to 400z in order to expand and provide more topo detail?

I think your map reveals an important fact about the realistic scale of DF mountains, which is that they are not realistic at all.

If you look at the elevation copypasta, you can see that the highest z-level on the map is 396 on DF's 1-through-400 scale. I figured the extra 4 levels wouldn't add much value but you can easily edit that one point yourself if you'd like. In general, I followed the topography above sea level as closely as possible given that the resolution is 1.536 km squares, though the bathymetry is fudged a bit by taking data from some NASA archive IIRC and squashing it into the 99 z-levels below sea level.

And yeah, while the scale of DF can be accurate in surface area, the game is really lacking in the ability to represent realistic elevation ranges. At 2.8 metres per level, to fit everything from the peak of Mount Everest to the bottom of Challenger Deep, the game would need 7,063 z-levels! As for how it affects the biomes, the only way around that would be to either make your world with no mountains and thus limit yourself to below 560 metres ASL, or have a very cold climate where there actually is a tree line at that altitude. I haven't yet looked to find areas like that in real life yet.

Some other inaccuracies that I know of:

• The wind directions are chosen based on real-life atmospheric circulation, which is neat but doesn't make sense at the scale of DF worlds.
  • The peak temperature changes based on rainfall and elevation in some way that I don't understand but doesn't seem accurate.
  • In general, the way that temperate/tropical biomes are determined based on peak summertime temperature doesn't seem to function very well. It should be based on the winter minimum in my opinion, and there should be a subtropical climate in between.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2022, 12:00:03 pm »

awesome reply, thank you for the context. That's what I suspected, the generated mountains feel right in-game but when you look at the larger geological context they are... flat as pancakes  :D

the game would need 7,063 z-levels!

someone get Tarn on the line, lets make this happen

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 12, 2022, 12:24:35 pm »

Mountain climbing in adventure mode is always so disappointing.

Sarai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2022, 05:03:33 am »

I know we don't have a thread for the 50.01 (Steam version) worldgen yet, but here's a seed I found with a 12-tile-wide river with a 6-tile-wide tributary, a waterfall where they meet, and a surface volcano! Of course doesn't work on 47.05

The Waterfall

The Volcano

Location on the zoomed-out world map (southeast corner shown)

Location when zoomed in

The Resources (names and neighbors will differ, I used a random civ seed and I don't know how to extract it from a save in the Steam version)

It's not a particularly impressive waterfall, just 5 z-levels high. But it's plenty to get you started!

Because Civilizations are still random, you may have someone settled on this location already, preventing you from embarking there. I had to regen twice before it was free for me to embark there.

world_gen.txt (fyi the folder in the Steam version changed from data/init to prefs):
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 05:13:17 am by Sarai »

Bainin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 10, 2022, 05:43:30 am »

I have been trying for a while to get a plateau  of sorts i want like a small mountain/plateau  in the middle that i can carve into a shape i want, but i cant seem to get something thats steep or destinct.
Anyone any idea how i could get a plateau? What i mean with that is something along the lines of the Devils Tower, if u google it ur sure to come up with a rough idea what i mean =)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:37:39 pm by Bainin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 11, 2022, 01:40:08 pm »

I know almost nothing about terrain gen, but I do know that turning off erosion makes the world a lot more square.

Thea

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 14, 2022, 05:04:34 pm »

I know we don't have a thread for the v50 (Steam version) worldgen yet, but here's a worldgen/seed I found with a 2x2 embark with volcano, stream, steel, with sand/clay/honeybees, for those who want to explore DF with a small embark covering most of the industries.  On the large worldmap, it is the central southern volcano by a stream.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32