Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 113708 times)

sabata4

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #315 on: May 06, 2021, 04:17:50 pm »

just got a fresh instal myself... and this one is diffrent from the first too? mind posting how you would use that world file? i have been posting it in the world-gen.txt file

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 06, 2021, 04:21:29 pm »

take everything in my post, under the worldgen heading, from between:
[WORLD_GEN]
and the last line (in this case:)
[PS_VL:0:0:0:100:0:0:0:0:0:100:0:0:0:0:0:100:0:0:0:0:0:100:0:0:0:0:0:100:0:0:0:0:0]

and paste all those lines, inclusively, into data\init\world_gen.txt.  Save that file.

Start DF, go into advanced worldgen, select that parameter set, generate it, start playing, look for the Yellow X location indicated on the embark location screenshot, and change your embark size and location to match.

sabata4

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2021, 04:35:59 pm »

so.. uhh... im doing all that.. and its not there? if it helps? the world name it gives me is "lecosethav econ". im honestly not sure whats going wrong?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2021, 07:45:30 am »

Might be the issue in how since .44 rejectionless worlds don't always generate the same on different systems - i.e. linux and windows can match where windows and another windows don't.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2021, 08:58:18 am »

Might be the issue in how since .44 rejectionless worlds don't always generate the same on different systems - i.e. linux and windows can match where windows and another windows don't.
To eliminate this as a possibility, I (in the last few hours) installed a brand new copy of Windows 10 1709 (vs. my current/normal 20H2) into a brand new virtual machine on VMWare Workstation 16.x, on a completely different CPU architecture (i7-7740X vs Pentium Gold G5400), on a completely different physical machine, hosted in Linux, downloaded a fresh copy of 47.05, installed it, took the sabata4 worldgen, gen'd the world, and the entire world, embark location, embark features, names and embark are identical.

sabata4

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2021, 03:22:10 pm »

seems the old standby of turning it off and on again worked. thanks again for the help

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2021, 03:13:18 am »

alright so, a while back i asked for a large world with one large mountainrange. someone replied, i said thanks without clicking on the preview, and then went on with my day. later on though i found out that this wasnt really was looking for. is there any way to generate a naturalisic world with one very big mountainrange to one of the horizontal map edges?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 11, 2021, 08:22:10 am »

It entirely depends on what you mean by 'naturalistic'  8)
As far as the game (and civ placement) goes, 300 elevation land counts as mountains.  So does 400 elevation.  So do peaks, and some volcanoes.
Generating large amounts of mountains is certainly possible, either using a pre-set elevation map, or relying on the game to generate them via procedural pseudo-randomness.

I'm not trying to be evasive, but if you can describe what 'naturalistic' means to you in this context, then we can work towards a solution.
Also, while large worlds do have some purpose with respect to creating some biomes, in Fortress mode game-play, the rest of the world isn't really doing a lot except contributing to slowing the game down and/or making saves take longer.  :D  World generation takes longer, and consequently, finding an embark can take longer, with larger worlds.
There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting a large world just because large worlds are cool, I'm just mentioning it because technically they're often not necessary in Fortress mode.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 11, 2021, 11:02:22 am »

It entirely depends on what you mean by 'naturalistic'  8)
As far as the game (and civ placement) goes, 300 elevation land counts as mountains.  So does 400 elevation.  So do peaks, and some volcanoes.
Generating large amounts of mountains is certainly possible, either using a pre-set elevation map, or relying on the game to generate them via procedural pseudo-randomness.

I'm not trying to be evasive, but if you can describe what 'naturalistic' means to you in this context, then we can work towards a solution.
Also, while large worlds do have some purpose with respect to creating some biomes, in Fortress mode game-play, the rest of the world isn't really doing a lot except contributing to slowing the game down and/or making saves take longer.  :D  World generation takes longer, and consequently, finding an embark can take longer, with larger worlds.
There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting a large world just because large worlds are cool, I'm just mentioning it because technically they're often not necessary in Fortress mode.
well, the one that was given to me was a perfect circle with a mountain in the middle. when i say naturalistic i mean something that would be generated with default settings despite that not being true

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 11, 2021, 12:06:39 pm »

Do you have an example Large Region parameter set you've been working on or with so far, GOTOTOTOE?

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 11, 2021, 01:39:48 pm »

Do you have an example Large Region parameter set you've been working on or with so far, GOTOTOTOE?
aside from things like megabeasts, secrets, etc? not really, no

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2021, 01:55:06 pm »

Would this be a fair estimate of what you would like the resulting world to look like, but in 257x257 size?

If not, what specific features would you like to see, instead or additionally?

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 11, 2021, 05:55:46 pm »

Would this be a fair estimate of what you would like the resulting world to look like, but in 257x257 size?

If not, what specific features would you like to see, instead or additionally?
about right! an ocean would be cool though

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2021, 08:55:04 pm »

What about this:

Our would you prefer the mountains across the bottom or top, exclusively?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2021, 08:04:35 pm »

Damn, those are some serious rivers.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32