Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 110733 times)

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2020, 05:58:09 pm »

I'm trying to generate a world with a long history but that retains balance and a nice distribution over the map the map between civs. So in order to make kobolds survive I edited the civ raws to cap all other civs (with the [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:X] token) to single digits, while leaving kobolds to the default 100, and setting the number of civs (and caves) in worldgen to a very high amount to allow kobold civs to spawn in large numbers.

But it didn't work as expected. Checking with Legends Viewer shows that, apparently, the changes to the raws were completely disregarded. World has 34 kobold civs (19 of them alive, which is great after 1050 years of worldgen), 3 dwarf civs (but dwarves are limited by availiability of mountain ranges to spawn, so this is not relevant), 6 goblin civs (again, limited, this time by worldgen settings) BUT 15 elven ones (most of them dying though) and 20 human ones which have completely overrun the world, being around 80% of the world pop. Sure, there are a lot of kobolds around, but there is no the balance between civs population I was aiming for.

So, I'm missing something? Does not the token work like that? Any ideas or advice so I can achieve what I'm trying?

EDIT: Solved. It seems it was not a good idea to have the security copy of the raws in the same folder with the actual file.
I'll try to post some nice world settings once I'm satisfied with the results!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:22:17 pm by Tinnucorch »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2020, 01:47:43 am »

You can have the backup of your raw files in the same directory as long as you change their extensions. I typically name the backup the same as the original but use a ".org" extension (for "original", the 8.3 convention adherence is hard to break). DF doesn't seem to care about the name of the files, but reads only the .txt ones.

Opcero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2020, 09:14:28 am »

Has anyone tried to make the "wilderlands of high fantasy" map? 

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2020, 10:25:20 pm »

After some time away, I'm so happy to return and find you are still here helping people find/make excellent worlds!

I'll make no requests of you today - only leave a thank you.  You make this game even better.  Time to download the latest and pick one that you've already identified for someone else.

ProbablyRed

• Bay Watcher
  • Real Human Bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2020, 09:23:34 am »

Does anybody know how to generate a medium-sized world that's an absolute necromancer and vampire hell, with a lot of evils biomes, very little civs but still enough that fortress mode can still be possible?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2020, 11:19:37 am »

Here's a pocket world that meets some of those requirements.
Spoiler: NECROS_3T (click to show/hide)
You could adapt this technique to any sized world.  I've seen worlds with 8 or more towers, but after a few dozen, none with so many 1700+ animated per tower, in such a small area.
Essentially, you create a medium sized area for the dwarven civs to appear, and the rest are small.  Then you can control the evilness of all the small, and leave the medium as neutral.

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2020, 04:52:36 am »

Hi,

I'm very bad for world gen, I tried many times to get what I want but with no success, so I need help ! :)

What I need :

- Pocket world
- All civs (dwarf human goblin elve) with a lot of goblins and elves
- Only small forest for elves, but a lot of wasteland (I dont like to embark with trees)
- Lots of !!FUN!! : evil, necro, beasts, titans, secrets, vampires etc....
- Only one cavern layer (dont know if its important for world gen)

Bonus :

- Pole North or South
- Extreme temperature
- At least one embark with a volcano

Thanks for help !
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:55:49 am by KassaK »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2020, 07:18:20 am »

@KassaK: Why do you care about how much forest there is is the world? The only important biome thing for fortress mode is what it looks like where you embark (and to the NW, due to the air biome bug), so the rest of the world can act as a "resource pool" for other races (and elves are particularly bad at getting up to large numbers, and tend consistently to get low population sites). You typically want a number of potential embark sites, though (unless you're tailoring the world specifically using PSVs), so you need some of your preferred embark biome(s) to get some alternative sites.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2020, 07:33:43 am »

Do we know whether a complete seed (a fully identical parameter set) generates a geographically and historically identical world on all three 64 bit platforms in 0.47.04?

The wiki implies geography but not history "In the current version", but I figure if anyone is absolutely sure, they probably read this thread.

I'm working on a tutorial, so a universal seed would be handy!

Thanks in advance!
Team Bug Fix!

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2020, 08:28:18 am »

@KassaK: Why do you care about how much forest there is is the world? The only important biome thing for fortress mode is what it looks like where you embark (and to the NW, due to the air biome bug), so the rest of the world can act as a "resource pool" for other races (and elves are particularly bad at getting up to large numbers, and tend consistently to get low population sites). You typically want a number of potential embark sites, though (unless you're tailoring the world specifically using PSVs), so you need some of your preferred embark biome(s) to get some alternative sites.

Yes its because I want to have choices for embark on a place without forest (or without trees).
And I think if I want elves, I need at least a forest no ?

It's my problem : Elves + Not a lots of forest/trees

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2020, 10:05:05 am »

I think this one matches, KassaK.
Spoiler: kassak1 (click to show/hide)
The challenge with this one is, unless you go full PSV, getting the right combination of races with >= 100 population, and no rejections, takes a few worldgens.
If you want only forests and rocky wasteland, that's possible, but excludes humans.  If you tune the world so it randomly makes fewer forests and/or more rocky wastelands, then getting elves is harder. 
It wouldn't be impossible, it would just take longer to get the PRNG to spit out the right combination.  It's likely that you could get a similar world with a few towers, too, if you wanted to spend the time.

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2020, 11:06:03 am »

Thanks you, it's already much better than me :p

But it seems like elves are always a fallen civilization.

It's hard to have a lots of elves.

Bonus question 1 : I see in many world_gen these params : [TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:0:0:0] and [WEREBEAST_ATTACK_TRIGGER:0:0:0].
0:0:0 is disabling totally titan_attack and werebeast attack ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:14:36 am by KassaK »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2020, 11:17:25 am »

Do we know whether a complete seed (a fully identical parameter set) generates a geographically and historically identical world on all three 64 bit platforms in 0.47.04?

The wiki implies geography but not history "In the current version", but I figure if anyone is absolutely sure, they probably read this thread.

I'm working on a tutorial, so a universal seed would be handy!

Thanks in advance!
It's known that getting rejections often did not generate the same in previous versions, and I've heard nothing to indicate that has changed. It's also know that there are cases (i.e. bugged ones) where you don't get the same world even without rejections, and some bugged cases where you don't get the same result if you use a freshly started DF compared to one that's already created one or more worlds. There's also an issue of 32 vs 64 bits (at least on Windows).
A set of seeds (and raws, of course) that do not result in rejections SHOULD generate exactly the same world on all versions/platforms, but it's known bugs exist. Toady has squashed such bugs from time to time, but there always seem to be new cases (there are also seed sets that cause crashes and some that cause non repeatable crashes).
Thus, if you're working on something important where you need to get the same result in all cases I'd recommend recruiting help to check seeds on the platforms you don't have available. I think an image of the world map and comparing that to what DF has generated ought to be enough to verify a set.

@KassaK: Yes, a trigger of 0 disables that trigger. In the case of weres, I suspect it won't disable visitors that turn in your tavern, though.

Elves and dwarves are often wiped out by gobbos and humans, and especially titans and megabeasts (apart from the bronze colossi, they shouldn't attack elves, but the certainly stomp out dwaven civs), in particularly before the civs have spread

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2020, 04:05:16 pm »

Regarding worldgen differences between OS.
Here's a parameter set I used.  It generates without rejections.
Spoiler: 4civs_20200511 (click to show/hide)
Using that, I downloaded two fresh copies of DF 47.04, and using Windows 10 v1607 and Linux Mint 19.3, added that worldgen parameter to /data/init/worldgen.txt and generated the world.
They are not identical in every way, yet, some aspects and features are the same.

Spoiler: Win64 Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Linux64 Results (click to show/hide)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2020, 07:43:47 am »

This a bug or something leftover, no longer used? Why does Temp ranges go -1000 to 1000, when it only uses 0-100 in parameters. Is there something that might get generated at 101 to 1000 Temp, we are missing? Like a god of smeltings, super heated forge? Thanks.

Also, I am struggling with the crop map rejection, no idea what crops or how to fix this.  Happens when I go up from 10 Civ to 15 Civ on a Small Region. I desire 15, can only gen without crop rejects with 10. Thank you
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32