Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 110920 times)

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #390 on: November 20, 2021, 05:20:18 pm »

Yes exactly !

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 21, 2021, 09:52:28 am »

This is the closest match I've found so far.. Does that have the appearance of what you're looking for?
These two stonesense screenshots are of the same embark, just two different angles showing the ocean surrounding.

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 21, 2021, 10:08:43 am »

Sold !

That's amazing ! I have big plans for this one and it seems perfect !

Thank you so much, you sir are a scholar and a gentleman !

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 21, 2021, 10:23:31 am »

Ok, here's the details for that one:
Spoiler: nevrast2a (click to show/hide)

I also found this one, any interest there?  It's technically a sort of L shaped isthmus, but it was uncommon to see it..

It's in a 6x3 embark, but only one tile is non-mountain / non-ocean.

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 21, 2021, 10:26:35 am »

Interesting as well ! Can i have both ? I'll have a look at them in game.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 21, 2021, 10:29:25 am »

Sure, here's the worldgen and location for that L shaped one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Also found this one, which is a little different, because the west side is non-mountain/non-ocean, but there is technically an ocean/beach surrounding three sides..
If you want the location/worldgen for that one, let me know.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 10:49:58 am by vjek »

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 21, 2021, 10:58:37 am »

I'll take that last one, the forest biome on the west brings a bit of variety ! Thank you so much ! I'll post a picture of the fort if all goes well !

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 21, 2021, 11:04:24 am »

Here it is:
Spoiler: nevrast2c (click to show/hide)

willkydd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 28, 2021, 04:30:45 pm »

Is this possible?

a "lake embark", ideally 3x3 but possibly 4x4 with a central lake at least 5Z deep, flat or mildly hilly dense connifer forrest surroundings with at least 1-2 layers of soil. Bonus: coal and metals. Extra bonus: volcano at bottom of lake (with obsidian "cap").

...in a world that is as small as possible and has 1-2 civs of each (dwarv, elf, goblin, human), not overwhelmed by towers/necromancers. World must have steel (somewhere, not necessarily on the lake embark, just able to import it from other civs). Bonus: world conditions are met with history over 250 years (e.g. civs don't die before). Extra bonus: world has at least one ocean edge.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 28, 2021, 06:35:54 pm »

Is this possible?

a "lake embark", ideally 3x3 but possibly 4x4 with a central lake at least 5Z deep, flat or mildly hilly dense conifer forest surroundings with at least 1-2 layers of soil. Bonus: coal and metals. Extra bonus: volcano at bottom of lake (with obsidian "cap").

...in a world that is as small as possible and has 1-2 civs of each (dwarv, elf, goblin, human), not overwhelmed by towers/necromancers. World must have steel (somewhere, not necessarily on the lake embark, just able to import it from other civs). Bonus: world conditions are met with history over 250 years (e.g. civs don't die before). Extra bonus: world has at least one ocean edge.
Probably possible, from what I've seen. 
Essentially just create a world that favors conifer forests and lakes and you should find it, eventually.

I've seen underwater/below-embark volcano embarks in the ocean and lakes and they are.. problematic. 
The water doesn't flow until the moment of embarkation, so.. it won't actually seal itself without going through hundreds (thousands?) of collapsing messages.  And even then, it takes a really long time, because all of the obsidian that isn't adjacent to a wall keeps falling in to the SMR sea.  And then reforming, and then falling, and reforming, and falling, etc.
I've even seen cases where they never seem to seal, because of this issue.  I mean, it's interesting, but I don't think you'd want to seek it out, intentionally. :)

To get the rivers and lakes to form and flow just make sure there is at least 8 Z-levels of variation in elevation (100 to 108, for example). 
If you want all civs, you won't be able to have exclusively mountains + lakes, because elves and humans need forests and plains, respectively.

willkydd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 28, 2021, 07:08:11 pm »

Probably possible, from what I've seen. 
Essentially just create a world that favors conifer forests and lakes and you should find it, eventually.

Thanks, how would I do that? I think conifers would be by manipulating drainage and temperature to favor it, but how about lakes?

Is there a way to find lakes that are separate from rivers?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:33:12 pm by willkydd »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 28, 2021, 08:18:07 pm »

Lakes are formed whenever you have a river 'ending' that doesn't exit the map or reach the ocean.

Are you looking for something like this:

Or more like:
FFF
FLF
FFF
Where F = Forest and L = Lake?
For comparison, the above is:
FFF
FLL
FLL

EDIT:
This one is a little bit better, 4Z deep lake, and more of a wrap-around, layout is:
FLL
FLF
FFF

And this third one is laid out like this..
LLL
FLF
FFF
and looks like: (with two 5Z+ lake depth tiles)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:44:30 pm by vjek »

willkydd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 28, 2021, 10:59:03 pm »

Lakes are formed whenever you have a river 'ending' that doesn't exit the map or reach the ocean.

Are you looking for something like this:

Or more like:
FFF
FLF
FFF

I'm looking for FFF
FLF
FFF
, but from the examples you gave, the first fits the bill the best even though it doesn't perfectly match the pattern, because it large enough.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 29, 2021, 08:47:47 pm »

I've found this fourth one..

Laid out as:
FFL
FLL
FLL
It has a 5 depth lake though, which the other one didn't.  Is this too much lake, and not enough land?
There's one less forest tile than the previous one you liked, so it's perfectly fine if it's doesn't meet your needs.  8)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 18, 2021, 04:06:22 am »

Ok everyone, I have a crazy tough one for you. Call it the "super easy mode because I want to do everything and don't have a lot of time" site.

I would like;
  • 4x4 or smaller (2x2 is perfect)
  • A volcano
  • A river (any size, just not a river source as those look super weird)
  • Trees
  • Warm, or at least never freezes.
  • Sand and Clay source
  • Flux
  • Iron (other metals a bonus)
  • Lots of space before the first cavern layer
  • Somewhat flat (totally flat is best)
  • Good civ contact (all civs preferable, but missing one is acceptable)
  • Not evil/cursed/undead or otherwise super hostile on the surface. More fun further down is perfectly acceptable.
  • No aquifer or ocean
  • Just in case this is not a given (I think it is though), site should include lots of !!Fun!! deep down, including the shiny stuff it comes with

I have a world gen that gets me lots of close sites, but nothing so far that has everything;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This seems like an embark that would be considered "perfect" so I would guess someone somewhere has already found it, but if not I think it is only a matter of time with the above world gen. If you have suggestions to tweak that world gen to increase the odds I am all ears. Also, not sure if this is just my rig or not, but this world gen seems to have a hard time getting past 200 years without crashing. I have zero issues playing a world that young, but I do like to at least get it past the first generation of dorfs so everyone alive has parents.

I am also not above cheating in things (again, this is all about saving my very limited play time), so if I have to drop in a sand/clay source, or if there is a way to edit the climate or the ores I will take that for an otherwise perfect site. I also have not made it to the !!Fun!! at the bottom in this version yet, but I intend to. If you think I should increase the layer count down there for some reason I will put that into the world gen.

Also looking for advice on how to avoid lag death, in case there are any considerations specific to the newest version. I do use DF Hack to keep things clean and reduce clutter, but I also like to run as many industries as I can and build megaprojects. I know all the usual stuff like keep the site as small as possible, limit fort population and such, but there is a lot new in this version and I would love to know any new tricks.

Thanks!

Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32