Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 110914 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #375 on: November 11, 2021, 02:09:24 pm »

Ok, I see what you mean.  If you adjusted the embark location in the sample embark above north by two, would that be close to what you're looking for, biome wise?

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 11, 2021, 03:54:44 pm »

Ok, I see what you mean.  If you adjusted the embark location in the sample embark above north by two, would that be close to what you're looking for, biome wise?

I think yes, thank you. If you meet/find more such plots, embarks, send them to me anyway, please.

candlebury

• Bay Watcher
  • Was Vastaghen12
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 11, 2021, 08:34:04 pm »

Anyone has a map with particularily tall caverns or sea cliffs?

Would like to try out a cavern-cliff side fort for a change
Ok, so here's one that is a little closer to normal..
Steel friendly embark, Humans & Goblin Neighbors, Candy, HFS, Sand, Fire Clay, Lots of metals, Untamed Wilds, etc.
Spoiler: candlebury2 (click to show/hide)
You can selectively clear the seeds and regenerate it and likely get many viable new worlds/regens, too.
Tomorrow I'll take a run at moving the volcanoes onto the shoreline, but wanted to get you a better one without that, first.

Perfect!

Thanks for all your help and work!
Check me out in twitter if you like my art
https://twitter.com/candlebury

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 12, 2021, 11:02:05 am »

I think yes, thank you. If you meet/find more such plots, embarks, send them to me anyway, please.
Here's a couple more that are similar, and have surface rivers.  The feature that remain difficult to exclude are aquifers.  But they seem to be partial, and/or light, so not a huge problem.
Another detail that may or may not matter, is that sometimes embark tiles for the ocean aren't blue, and don't have waves or more than 1 tile of ocean depth.  So, they technically count, but in the worst case, won't behave like an ocean in varying ways, possibly up to not spawning ocean critters.  If that matters, and you want at least one blue ocean tile, that's worth clarifying.  :)
Spoiler: aelwen2-c (click to show/hide)

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 13, 2021, 03:12:53 pm »

Here's a couple more that are similar, and have surface rivers.  The feature that remain difficult to exclude are aquifers.

I jus use Starter Pack's feature to exclude all aquifers so it's ok. Yes, at least one square of blue ocean tile would be nice.

I've checked your last two embarks, the first one is almost perfect but it's not reanimating.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:56:17 am by Aelwen »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 15, 2021, 08:58:14 am »

The evil ocean tile is reanimating, in that one. 
I presume, then, that you would prefer the small evil land area to be Reanimating, rather than the ocean?

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 17, 2021, 12:29:11 am »

Hey folks!

Using PerfectWorld, are there any guides or do you guys have any tips to ensure that I get the sort of world that I want because I'd like to create multiple sites eventually, not just one. So, I want the following:

1. Surface volcano
2. Waterfall - the bigger the better both width and height wise
3. A bay or channel that is narrow enough that I can build a bridge fort to span in via 2x8 embark zone
4. Crossroads

Again, these do not need to be the same site, I'm planning to build multiple forts.

Additionally, I'd love to get as many different animals from elves and humans as possible, so the world would need to be somewhat large to accommodate as many biomes as possible. Plus lot of minerals too.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 17, 2021, 09:58:45 am »

From that list, Garfunkel, the only part you would need to artificially contrive would be the Waterfall, I think.
A surface volcano is pretty straightforward, provided you have 8 non-volcanism tiles surrounding the volcanism tile of the surface volcano, you're likely to get one that doesn't extrude too far above the embark level.  When volcanism tiles are adjacent, they build on each others elevation.  With sufficiently few and far between volcano's, they should all be surface.  Or at least, enough or many of them.

Waterfalls are created whenever there is a disparity in elevation of two rivers.  So, build one or two rivers of whatever height (51+) and width (up to a full tile) and run them into each other.  There should be some examples in this thread of how to do that.  Otherwise, running rivers towards the ocean also creates waterfalls, but the method is slightly different due to the way rivers and the ocean meet, in DF.

PW will help with the rivers, but as there is an ocean and potential volcanoes, you'll likely end up with very thick worlds, unless you raise the ocean up to ~80 (from 1).  If you raise it too high (99) you wont' get any blue ocean tiles, which causes some issues.
You can't set part of the world to be Pre-Set Field Values, and some not, within a value type.  What I mean by that is, you can't say, just make this part of the elevation of the map random, and then artificially pre-set this other part.  It's an all or nothing endeavor.
Consequently, you'll end up with extremely large worldgen configuration files, most of which are too large to post on these forums if your world size is very large and/or you use preset field values for more than one value type.  Just something to keep in mind.  You can use and link to pastebin, though.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 17, 2021, 07:52:40 pm »

Thanks for the tips vjek!

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 19, 2021, 07:27:56 am »

The evil ocean tile is reanimating, in that one. 
I presume, then, that you would prefer the small evil land area to be Reanimating, rather than the ocean?
Everything is fine, thanks. I've founded my fort already.

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 20, 2021, 12:18:07 pm »

Hello everyone

I've been looking for a specific kind of embark for some time, and maybe you guys can help me.

I would love a peninsula embark, basically a mountain advancing into the sea.
Something vaguely shaped like Florida, with water on 3 sides and connected to the mainland by the last one.
Mountainous enough to build on several Z levels.

Only other features wanted is access to Elfs, Goblins and Humans for a bit of variety.
Good variety of metals would be a plus, but i guess i could handle it in Dfhack

Does that sound possible ? I don't mind generating several worlds, but maybe someone can give me some parameters to help me ?

Thanks in advance !   

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 20, 2021, 01:21:30 pm »

... Does that sound possible ? I don't mind generating several worlds, but maybe someone can give me some parameters to help me ?

Thanks in advance !
Definitely possible.  Some follow up questions:
Do you want blue ocean tiles (actual ocean, with waves, and more than one Z level deep) or is any ocean tile ok? (this has consequences for both gameplay and finding the embark in the first place)
Can it be a lake and not the ocean?
Do you want purely vertical cliffs going into the water, and if so, what's the minimum vertical height of the cliff?
Do you care if there is a narrow, or wide beach at the base of the cliff?  Or absolutely no beach of any kind, on at least some part of the embark?
Do they have to be sheer cliffs, entirely vertical from the waterline up, with no slopes except at the very top?  Or can they contain slope tiles from the bottom to the top?
Do you want a volcano within the embark, and/or does that matter in the slightest?
What's the largest embark size you're willing to tolerate to get this combination? 2x2,3x3,4x4,5x5, more?
Any biome/temperature/savagery/evil/good preferences regarding the embark-able area, given you can't embark on either ocean or mountain or a combination of exclusively ocean & mountain..?

The creation of what you're describing isn't a problem, but .. with something so specific, it's good to get the details first.  8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 01:31:29 pm by vjek »

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 20, 2021, 02:15:28 pm »

- It can be any body of water, really. Lake, ocean, doesn't really matter.
- A beach / flat side is OK but i'd like at least one side to be sheer vertical cliffs. I guess 10Z or more would be ideal ? I have this idea of carving an underground harbor on one cliff side
- Volcano would be a nice bonus, but i can totally live without it
- Don't really care about the biome, maybe not evil. Just access to neighbors civs.
- I like big embark to have plenty of space on a single Z level, so something like 5x5 or 6x6 ? Can be a different shape.

I have no idea about the difficulty of what i'm asking, but it seems very specific  :-\

Thanks in advance vjek !

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 20, 2021, 03:12:53 pm »

Creating the interaction between cliffs and the water isn't difficult, that's just putting an elevation 150+ against an elevation <=99.
The difficulty is in creating and then finding an embarkable area that is adjacent to these dramatic elevation interaction areas.
The rest (civs, metals, etc) is trivial.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 20, 2021, 05:11:31 pm »

- It can be any body of water, really. Lake, ocean, doesn't really matter.
- A beach / flat side is OK but i'd like at least one side to be sheer vertical cliffs. I guess 10Z or more would be ideal ? I have this idea of carving an underground harbor on one cliff side
- Volcano would be a nice bonus, but i can totally live without it
- Don't really care about the biome, maybe not evil. Just access to neighbors civs.
- I like big embark to have plenty of space on a single Z level, so something like 5x5 or 6x6 ? Can be a different shape.

I have no idea about the difficulty of what i'm asking, but it seems very specific  :-\

Thanks in advance vjek !
Something like this, but with water/ocean on the far side, as well?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32