Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478642 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6480 on: February 11, 2022, 02:45:56 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:13:51 am by dragdeler »
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: February 11, 2022, 03:26:32 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: February 11, 2022, 04:12:28 pm »

Everyone understands health officials are under improper political pressure, right? Everyone understands the only reason they're thinking of lifting anything is improper political pressure? Right?

Remember last summer, when everything was going to be over soon and masks could come off back last summer? Remember before Delta?
Remember all the other times they said that, because ... no one cared anymore and they wanted this over last summer? Remember Trump wanted it over Easter ... of 2020...?

The health officials "obviously" are not ok with it. The doctors and the nurses are exhausted and the hospitals are running at capacity. The national guard is still deployed to medical facilities in several states. It doesn't matter, you don't deploy the national guard to anything that isn't an issue. Or at least we didn't used to until everything started falling apart. Elective surgeries and even some major ones are being canceled or pushed back because the hospitals are full of COVID patients. They're firing health officials for even advocating vaccines and masks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/12/tennessee-fires-vaccination-official/
https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-health-official-placed-leave-154957032.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/10/27/covid-19-in-maryland-david-bishai-harford-county/
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/us/donald-kauerauf-missouri-covid-vaccine.html

There is a reason the masthead of the Washington Post's motto has been "Democracy Dies in Darkness," for a while now.

The health officials "obviously" are not ok with it. Getting rid of Covid mandates, is because they are being forced to. It has nothing to do with "science," and no matter how many people say it does, it doesn't. Those people are repeating a word they often know nothing about because they believe in magic words. They know people might respect "science," and so they say the word, while those who actually do science have guns to their heads. These people would say "If it's good enough for the flubagarbadub, then it's obviously good enough," if they thought "flubagarbadub" would make you do what they say, even if it killed you.  It's incredibly disheartening to see just blatant propaganda being repeated as if the number of times it was said would make it true. It doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 04:15:23 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: February 11, 2022, 04:26:05 pm »

Everyone understands health officials are under improper political pressure, right? Everyone understands the only reason they're thinking of lifting anything is improper political pressure? Right?

I didn't reply to Pwnzerfaust's most recent post because it's clear to me that it's escalated to trolling. Or he has a stubborn insistence on getting the last word, even if he has nothing new to say and so just repeats himself over and over again. Either way it's not good to engage with him anymore.

Don't worry, the rest of us haven't lost our basic pattern recognition skills. It's just history repeating itself again. Possibly forever...

FAKEEDIT: The articles you linked are horrifying though
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: February 11, 2022, 04:34:21 pm »

I think they were referring to "cool" with "except that it isnt". It could definitly be cooler. The impeccable logic part you make of that what you want, but I'll read it as "everything has been said no need to argue".
Maybe that too but my actual point (already said, so I think I'm ok to say this and still not make it additional argument) was that there are still many health benefits from continuing caution, but the health officials are probably having to concede to the political pressures and acquiesce to populist promises of early return to 'normal' that are then self-mitigating...

I have sympathy with the "if not now, then when? never?" point-of-view, regarding rolling everything back. I'm just railling against "if ever, then it might as well be now", like trying to reach the beach by jumping off a cliff.

(PPE: Yeah, I'm now ninjaed. Had some lengthy diversion into the philosophies of Derek Parfit, etc, to write then edit out again...)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: February 11, 2022, 04:53:31 pm »

Normal is not coming back short term. At least not without making an effort beforehand, I mean. In East Asia they *are* close to normal. With occasional lockdowns, but there's a semblance of normality. I think that would be achievable. But an effort is needed.

Even after the pandemic is over, I will probably continue masking in public transport et al. See, I don't want to catch the flu or a cold either.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: February 11, 2022, 05:23:59 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:13:44 am by dragdeler »
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: February 11, 2022, 05:57:55 pm »

I don't mask outside, or in my car. Corona is not a plaguewind. I think people staying masked in their own vehicles is serious overkill, but then again it's hurting exactly no one. So if that's considered an actual problem by someone, said person considering it a problem should probably try and pull their head out of their ass.

If you walk into a fastfood restaurant, grocery store, shopping outlet or any place that's a few thousand square feet and completely enclosed without a mask, then you're a fucking idiot and eventually you'll get exactly what you signed up for.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 06:00:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: February 11, 2022, 06:04:46 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:13:37 am by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: February 11, 2022, 06:16:51 pm »

Eh, if I'm going from one place to somewhere else close, I'll usually leave it on 'cause the recommendation I remember is to not fiddle with the thing if you're able, don't keep taking it on and off over a short period kind of thing. Twenty minute drive or something, no, but like... two, sure. Just keep it there. You put it on when you get out the car for something, you take it off when you're on your way home. It's not particularly onerous, regardless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: February 11, 2022, 07:06:25 pm »

Looks like I've got COVID again. Luckily the CDC says you can go back to work pretty quickly after getting sick even though you're still contagious, which my employer agrees with. No idea how I keep getting sick.
It's (knowingly or unknowingly) letting contagious people mix with others[1] that keeps on making new contagious people.

Yeah, I was making a joke there in that last sentence, and wssn't being clear. Fever not good.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:27:03 pm by Iduno »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: February 11, 2022, 08:54:39 pm »

I will say there was one vast improvement to wearing the mask: customers at work have largely stopped criticizing my autism face.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: February 11, 2022, 11:14:18 pm »

I should (again) disclose that I have a problem with my face: so I was inclined to support a mask-society.

Very briefly, lockdown was kinda wonderful.  I had an excuse to turn down in-person events, and I got to cover my face in public. 
Hell of a monkey's paw.  Being able to swim within mall crowds was something my psyche very much relied on.  Even touching shoulders! No more. 

This virus fucked everything up for me, ruining my online interactions as I went more and more mad.  I needed to touch grass, but it wasn't grass, it was people.  And I can't-
I mean I can do it, but I can't immerse myself in the mall in good conscience.

I want lockdowns to be over so I can be myself again.  Masked but in a crowd of other individuals!
That will NEVER happen because people are anti-vax.
It's also partially the fault of anti-maskers

The personal-rights argument is simply nonsense.  Someone arguing that they have a right to breathe on me might as well be arguing that they have a right to punch me.  I'll take my lumps as a member of society, but I would physically stop them from breathing on my grandmother.

Still, I get that some (sexy) people don't like masks.  That's rational.  As a society, I think we should shun maskless behavior.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: February 11, 2022, 11:22:42 pm »

Is, and has always been the other way.

I really cannot tolerate crowds for long, and earnestly desire a hermetic lifestyle.

One man's meat is another man's poison...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: February 11, 2022, 11:34:00 pm »

Crowds are exhausting and mildly revolting, but I desperately need them.  Crowds, very different than a group hanging out.  There's something in me that needs to reconnect with humanity.  The throng of it, the groups of it, and even the normies of it.  I need to know them.  And instead all I have is the internet.

I hate it when someone touches me at the mall, I recoil... recoiled, a little.  Because I'm a very introspectived I'm far up my own butt.  But that electrical moment where they violated my personal space...  I think I needed that.  I haven't had that lately.

Vampire TTRPG mechanics:
So many of my online friends seem low-humanity nowadays, but me most of all.  I am doing my best to hold on to humanity.  My mom is helping extremely, chatting with me about her life in retirement next to a church.  There's so much to hold on to, there.

Edit:
Two years ago I could have told you all about the individuals I met while walking a loop through the local mall.  Being bumped (hss).  Such beautiful individuals.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 459