Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478575 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6360 on: January 25, 2022, 06:33:14 pm »

The situation in the teaching community is an outright disaster. We keep talking about the collapse of the medical system, but we're seeing something like the collapse of the public education system as well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: January 25, 2022, 07:53:18 pm »

(The situation in my typing ability is also an outright disaster. The big trouble with on-screen keyboards is that when you rush a few sentences you make silly miskeys and have no tactile feedback to alert you to near-misses/etc.)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: January 25, 2022, 10:30:27 pm »

The situation in the teaching community is an outright disaster. We keep talking about the collapse of the medical system, but we're seeing something like the collapse of the public education system as well.

doubled with repubs fucking with education in general, at least in the US.  The new VA governor for example is already pushing "anti-CRT" law as we speak.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: January 25, 2022, 11:14:12 pm »

Is CRT even taught in schools?

Like, any schools?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: January 25, 2022, 11:25:09 pm »

Like, any schools?

Yes, insofar as the core ideas are taught. No, insofar as there is no CRT-cirriculum that is taught.
Growing up, I was taught that races were culturally invented and there is no inherent difference between people of any color. That was over 20 years ago, and this is part of the definition of CRT, and is wild to be in opposition of.

We didn't discuss institutional racism in school, but at that point that we would, I was in an evangelical school that tried to convince me there was institutional bigotry against Christains, so...who knows what they learned in public.

CRT is factual and evidence-based, so in many ways it is already taught...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: January 25, 2022, 11:27:23 pm »

Like, any schools?

Surely it's been superceded by TFT these days. Or even OLED!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: January 25, 2022, 11:27:42 pm »

Like, any schools?

In the absolute sense, no.  Repubs don't really mean CRT as it is academically though, they really mean anything teaching history of systemic racism in the US.

An example of anti-CRT being the revisionist idea of the civil war being fought primarily over state's rights, instead of perpetuating slavery.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: January 26, 2022, 04:33:29 am »

Evert tone I see CRT I think of CPR
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: January 26, 2022, 04:54:29 am »

Well.. CRT aside--

The court date for mom's wrongful death case (which has been languishing for 2 years already due to covid) has been postponed, AGAIN, from Feb this year, to June this year.

Because Covid.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: January 27, 2022, 07:10:45 am »

The free psychological help telephone service that Germany created for people who have to deal with antivaxxers and conspiracy thinkers amongst their family, friends or coworkers is a great success. Already 600 people have been helped since last May, mostly with long term treatment and training.

Not sure what to think about this. Sending the sane to get help on how to deal with the insane. It seems a bit upside-down.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: January 27, 2022, 11:53:35 am »

The sane are actually willing to accept help.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: January 28, 2022, 12:51:42 am »

Maybe look up "Identified patient"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: February 07, 2022, 09:59:47 am »

The mayor of Ottowa has declared state of emergency. Trucker protests are out of control.

Illegal arms possession, open racism, traffic congestion, stores of basic life needs that can no longer be supplied, citizens of Ottowa that are discriminated against and threatened with violence.. The mayor saw no other choice than to declare state of emergency and forbid the protest, describing the situation as 'the most serious calamity that our city has ever seen'.
A lot of Ottowa citizens, especially women, are afraid to leave their houses, because the trucker protest treats them racist and misogynistic.
People get death threats for being black, woman, transgender, or wearing a facemask from people carrying swastika flags.

The state of emergency allows the police to do more. They can now arrest people who supply the truckers with food, water, fuel and toilet paper.

The police say that their work is made extra difficult because of the enormous amount of funding the truckers recieve. Just in the past few days, the Canadian truckers recieved 6.7 million dollars in funding via GoFundMe, mostly donated from the US by Trump supporters and other right wing extremist groups.
America might face legal consequences for funding terrorism.

GoFundMe has decided a few days ago to no longer pay out the money that was donated because of the violent nature of the protest.
Another funding site, GiveSendGo, then made it publicly known that they will pay out.
GiveSendGo is a fundementalist christian organisation that is know for raising funds for nazi groups like the Proud Boys.

Note that most Canadian truckers do not support the protests. It is a very small, but rowdy and loud minority that is protesting.
Of all international Canadian truckers, 90% have been vaccinated, and about the same percentage does not agree with the protests.
77% of the Canadian population supports their government's corona policies.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 10:12:26 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: February 07, 2022, 01:14:05 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 07:02:12 am by dragdeler »
let

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: February 07, 2022, 01:40:27 pm »

Martinuzz, I understand that you're passionate  about this, but I feel like it would really help your message come across if you could cite sources. Right now a lot of Canadians are confused about how to feel about this situation. The biggest thing that's preventing the situation from looking black and white is the fact that our military has directly refused the prime minister's orders to step in and break up the protest. That's a confusingly strong endorsement for what otherwise seems to be an unsympathetic gathering of assholes.

Thankfully, a guy in Ameripol linked a reddit thread that has a collection of interesting info, though it's not as current as it could be.

So America includes North America includes Canada, right?

Y'all heard about the 'freedom convoy' of ten thousand (read: couple hundred maybe) trucks taking to the road to protest mandates (masks? vaccine? that the USA won't let them in?)? Heckling people wearing masks, pissing on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, stealing from food banks, maybe flying a nazi flag? Y'know, those guys?

They've got their own comms channel, complete with insane drivel, singing, racism, and trolling by strangers. A helpful Twitter user has been doing a periodic blow-by-blow and it's kind of hilarious.

The updates, not the nasty shit the protest has done. Here's a reddit post aggregating everything that's happened.

There's stuff of varying quality here. From twitter Hearsay, to photo evidence. There is an obvious lean and bias in there, but since its mostly just a compilation of outsider info, you can ignore the bias and let the evidence speak for itself.

Long story short, it's bad. It's possible protests outside of Ottawa are a little more civilized, but they are not part of this conversation for the time being.

My two favourites from the reddit thread are the global news article talking about a few people who are high up in the chain of command in this protest and their history of racist stuff, as well as a twitter post by an ice-cream shop announcing that they had to close down since their masked workers were being assaulted. A for-profit business wouldn't close like that unless they really had to.

There is a lot more stuff than that, but these are the things that should shake off any preconceived notions of the guys waving around the confederate flags being plants meant to make the truckers look bad. This whole protest is swamped with American influence and as a proud Canadian I will not stand for it.

Ultimately, I think this is going to turn into another GamerGate situation. Ie. we get a group of deplorables (racists) who hide behind a seemingly "sympathetic" issue (protest Vax mandates), which happens to lure in a bunch "normal" people (freedom-loving antivaxers) who don't understand why everyone is giving them all the hate and lash out as a result. The end result of this is only going to be more radicalization. I mean anti-vaxxers do suck, but you gotta admit that they don't deserve as much hate as the members of an actual hate group (unless they overlap of course).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 01:44:51 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 459