Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478832 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6240 on: January 06, 2022, 02:43:19 am »

It's funny though:  I didn't fully realize until my test came back negative that I desperately wanted a positive result.  At the time that would have meant that I had survived Omicron, and also I had been limiting contact for a while.
It still feels perverse to *want* a positive test, but I think it makes sense.  Now I have to remain, to some extent, cautious.  Because at any moment I interact with the outside world I may become a carrier for several days before I have symptoms.

I can't help but think that universal medical care would help fight this sort of thing, instead of making the uninsured pay money to be tested.  I guess capitalism doesn't want to survive.

See for some diseases it kinda makes sense!  An older family member reminded me of this, because they lived through the "everyone hang out with the chickenpox kid and then you all get sick at the same time, then it's over" period of history. 

Coronaviruses don't work like that.  They mutate too fast, so giving them a petri dish doesn't "burn them out".  It generates strains which adapt to whatever we're doing.

And obviously that includes mutating against vaccines, but a coordinated vaccine push would still wipe out even the most ingenious virus when paired with a period of lockdown.
That would have been nice, instead of making virus-snorting a political stance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: January 06, 2022, 03:00:26 am »

An older family member reminded me of this, because they lived through the "everyone hang out with the chickenpox kid and then you all get sick at the same time, then it's over" period of history. 

Terrifying little fun fact for you, those parties were an anti-vax thing, if I remember right - it's the same argument they make today: natural immunity is better than synthetic immunity. The chickenpox vaccine for kids came out around 1995 - which is around the time myself and my sister were exposed to chickenpox intentionally. It's a low-risk virus, but does and can kill children who catch it. The risk, as always, is incredibly small if you're vaccinated instead.

Also, you can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox, which is always said the other way around and is blatant misinformation. (Luckily there is a vaccine for both, and the rates of chickenpox and shingles in the US have absolutely plummeted {outside of high-anti-vax pockets}).

You're right about the universal health care - in my family's example above, the vaccine (or any medical care, for that matter) was prohibitively expensive, so my mother just did what she thought was the best within her means. If those vaccines were cheap (and not prohibitively far from our poor neighborhood), we would have gotten them instead of rolling the dice with a live virus.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: January 06, 2022, 03:43:46 am »

But it also feeds right into the hands of the "just embrace the virus" dipshits who were clamoring for "herd immunity" from day one.  Their insanely deadly plan is somewhat less deadly now.  The "Logan's Run" number is a few years later, and thus more palatable.

Just moments ago read the following letter to a certain paper (online App version) that I read:
With Omicron causing only a mild cold, now is the time for herd immunity. Stop all testing except people entering hospital and care home staff, get everyone back to work asap. The unvaccinated take the risk themselves, why should they hold the majority to ransom? Keith Stafford, via email

...if I was convinced it'd help, I'd be writing my own rather strong response to that right now. Cockeyed facts and completely askew conclusions! Where's a facepalm emoji, when I need one?

Also...
(For reference, that was 2/Feb/2018, so basically add 4 to agemarks to make current.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:53:30 am by Starver »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: January 06, 2022, 04:09:47 am »

My test came back negative! So now I'm heavily second guessing myself on whether I took the test right or screwed up the nose scrub
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: January 06, 2022, 04:29:03 am »

Exactly, big same.
Still, good on you for taking the test.  Don't forget that it could have come up positive, and that would have been very useful information.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: January 06, 2022, 08:31:56 am »

Damn you time traveling vaccines!
*shakes fist*

Turns out what we thought were microchips in the vaccine were actually little terminators, sent back in time to turn you into a Soy Boy... or die trying.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: January 06, 2022, 08:39:46 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:51:42 am by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: January 07, 2022, 03:56:46 am »

Philippine president Duterte has said that unvaccinated people that leave their house during these times of lockdown should be arrested.
He calls upon the population to help with the arrests. Let's hope no mass murder bloodbath ensues like what happens with drug users.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: January 07, 2022, 11:32:50 am »

My test came back negative! So now I'm heavily second guessing myself on whether I took the test right or screwed up the nose scrub

FWIW, many people I know here in the US are sick with everything from the cold, the flu to the norovirus. Feds weren't kidding when they said this season would be bad. So you may just have something else. I wouldn't second guess your application of the test, depending on which one. They're pretty straightforward. My own first couple of self-tests I was also like "Shit, did I rotate the swab three times in each direction? INVALID!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: January 07, 2022, 12:35:04 pm »

Philippine president Duterte has said that unvaccinated people that leave their house during these times of lockdown should be arrested.
He calls upon the population to help with the arrests. Let's hope no mass murder bloodbath ensues like what happens with drug users.

Do they actually massacre druggies in the Philippines? That sounds horrible.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: January 07, 2022, 12:52:43 pm »

Sadly, yes. Thousands if not tens of thousands have been murdered / executed in the past years by both police and vigilantes, ever since Duterte said murdering drug users was fair game.
Lots of non-drug users got murdered too over petty conflicts and just labelled 'drug user' by the perps so there would be no investigation.

The ICC in The Hague is investigating Duterte for crimes against humanity because of it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:56:00 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: January 07, 2022, 01:23:46 pm »

Negative PCR. Praise the sun.

Now to just keep staying home ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: January 07, 2022, 02:38:13 pm »

Yes, praise the sun, that beautiful corona of ligh....
Oh damn
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: January 07, 2022, 06:03:01 pm »

My workplace has supposedly started enforcing mask mandates again last week. Supposedly, because I can count on one hand the number of people I saw properly wearing masks around the office and one of them was me in the mirror. Everyone else either leaves half (or all!) of their face uncovered or doesn't bother wearing one at all.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: January 07, 2022, 06:07:30 pm »

praise it

I'm more or less isolating the way I did this time last year. I didn't make it this far along to catch Covid now, even if it is a 'milder' strain with vaccine assistance. That might be my pride speaking more than anything, but at least my likelihood of spreading the virus will be virtually zero.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 459