Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478750 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

I don't speak English. I speak... American!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But what about the Queens English?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Well, they say that southern/Appalachian american is closer to OG english than England english currently is, so... it's probably me that speaks that? And a few others, we've had some georgia and carolina folks around.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They say that apparently there is signs that protection post-inoculation/infection could last for years since key anti-body generating cells remain in the marrow

sauce: saw it on the NYT.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Fingers crossed. I just got my second jab of Moderna, and I'd be perfectly happy if it was also my last jab of the stuff.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

They say that apparently there is signs that protection post-inoculation/infection could last for years since key anti-body generating cells remain in the marrow

So how does this jive with earlier statements that the protection afforded by the vaccines may only last 6 months? Or the people that got a covid reinfection after vaccination?

Frankly, I'm starting to lose trust with these kinds of statements. It's starting to feel like everyone wants that "Aha!" press conference about Corona findings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, so first of all we're talking about some significant % of people, not "everyone." So people could not get immunity after vaccination anyhow, or become reinfected. I have had childhood chickenpox and had to get vaccinated as an adult due to not generating antibodies post-infection; similar situation.

Next, "vaccination lasts 6 months. We don't know what happens afterwards" is not incompatible with "it may be that the protection lasts for years."

I agree, there's lots of bullshit out there. Some major drama seems to be going down in the UK because the plan was apparently "just let COVID sweep the population." Folks could be trying to distract from that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Fingers crossed. I just got my second jab of Moderna, and I'd be perfectly happy if it was also my last jab of the stuff.

The crystal lake, it only laughs
It knows you're just a modern man

So how does this jive with earlier statements that the protection afforded by the vaccines may only last 6 months? Or the people that got a covid reinfection after vaccination?

Frankly, I'm starting to lose trust with these kinds of statements. It's starting to feel like everyone wants that "Aha!" press conference about Corona findings.

Media is always too quick to report on indications rather than certainties
Love, scriver~

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile

Also, it's hard to say that immunity may last for longer than six months when the immunity has not yet lasted six months without some other indicator, like the bone marrow antibodies just mentioned. There's certain rigors to be applied to claims in the health/science fields, yeah?

It might be okay to start feeling optimistic out here in the states the way our immunization and infection rate is going. I'd spitball that we'll probably see some kind of booster shots at some point anyways just to totally really make sure that the antibodies stick, but we might be golden if our protection is long term.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

President Biden wants a new investigation into the theory that Covid-19 (accidentally) escaped from a Chinese lab.
Facebook has also dropped it's policy of removing posts that claim that.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/biden-wil-toch-onderzoek-naar-chinees-coronalab-theorie~bd9ea381/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/us/politics/biden-coronavirus-origins.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:31:03 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile

Sounds like pandering and international maneuvering. Here's word straight from the horse's mouth if you wanted to read the statement. It's milquetoast as hell and just says "we will do more investigating." "low to moderate confidence" of any particular outcome. Article indicates it's also coming in the wake of a bill to funnel funds into American industries to keep up with Chinese development, which everyone's favorite turtledicked senator is trying to stall out.

Doesn't really sound like new investigation to me.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

It's so damn obvious that it most-likely escaped from China's infamous "Wuhan Institute of Virology". My only anger is that its taken this long to finally, and seriously start pressing or honing onto China. Double the anger I have toward all the so-called "experts" who derided ANY minutiae possibility of this SARS-COV-2 being something accidentally leaked from China's major virology facility. Just bad faith nonsense all around this entire crisis.

I wonder if the reason for not accounting for or not taking the "leak theory" seriously, was maybe in part of self-interest from research institutions and governments around the world; taking knowledge that when or if it was proven the true cause of the SARS-COV-2 outbreak (and not the whole local market eatery theory), that there would be massive outcry to close these activities of unusual and unethical "gain-of-function" research.

Or maybe it was just suppressed not to cause panic, with them starting to take the leak theory avenue seriously, with things "gradually calming" down and vaccines rolling out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:07:34 pm by Lidku »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Or maybe it didn’t come from the lab at all?

China aren’t going to let outside sources in to verify any of this either way, as they already stymied it, so this will change nothing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

Oh please, I'm already tired of the "this SARS-COV-2, coming from China where leaks have happened before regarding Chinese medical/research facilities, definitely has a different origin" bit. Doesn't help at all that the personnel assigned to the facility of interest, Wuhan Institute of Virology; have literally been studying SARS-likes and the mechanisms to increase the proficiency of pathogenicity in cells.

Though you're perfectly right about the second bit. China, predictably, has monkey-wrenched any true possibility at a clear and honest picture of this SAR-COV-2 origin. And even if outside sources confirm a definite origin of somesort, that shines a negative light toward China, they'll predictably as before avow and deny.

I'm also just disgusted at the bipartisan debacle of this whole thing as well. I despised Trump as much as the next guy, but the only reason why the media isn't pushing back at Biden, and now like CLOCKWORK picking up the "lab leak origin theory" as actually legitimate; is due in part for the sheer fact of Trump not being in office. I imagine if theoretically Trump didn't lose his tenure during the last Presidential election, and continued on to his next term, all talk of the "lab leak" avenue would've still been derided completely. But since he isn't in office, now its acceptable to rightfully bring up these questions.

Though don't think I'm accrediting Trump with any virtue at all in this. He was the major cause of the infighting under his Presidential tenure. If he was domestically more competent and not an idiot, I doubt there would've been so much push-back when he was first purporting (and some from his party as well saying as such) the possibility of a leak from China's Wuhan Institute of Virology or other such facilities.

I just wonder how this will all further develop. Oh, and this also strikes out the Republicans lil' "Beijing" Biden ring-arounds they said about him, since he's putting some heat on China with calls for investigations toward it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

All known methods of altering a virus leave fairly distinct traces. None of these are present in the virus responsible for COVID-19. The chances of it being created or enhanced in a lab are, for all intents and purposes, zero. It is a natural virus.

It is possible that the Wuhan lab was culturing and studying this natural virus for a number of reasons. Such research is extremely common. If this is the case, it is possible that there was a leak. As yet, there is no evidence to support it, and epidemiology of the pandemic is not consistent with a point source.

Biden isn't getting a lot of pushback because he is not using this as a cudgel or evasion. He is literally saying "well, you keep asking about this, so we will look into it."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 459