Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478301 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Big Pharma Shenanigans Edition
« Reply #5340 on: March 23, 2021, 04:48:56 am »

They started to use "K12"ish terminology over here in the UK a decade or three ago[1]. I still have to ask "what's that in old money?" these days, though I think if I add 5 to (the numbers in) that system then I get the rough age (+1 or -1, according to birthday/schoolyear alignment, never sure which though).

On actual virus news, which was why I actually wandered just now, does this put the cat amongst the pigeons? *achoo!*

[1] To replace, in my time: "Nursery" (pre-school); "Infants years 1..3?[2] + Juniors 1&2?[2]" (Primary school); "Lower school 1..3 + Upper school 4..5 + optional lower 6th, upper 6th" (Secondary)

[2] Hard to remember, classes were initialed to the teacher's name, and I'm not totally sure I recall them all properly. And maybe there was a 'nursery' infants' class that I skipped having been pre-pre-schooled at the more local Nursery.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:55:30 am by Starver »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: March 24, 2021, 03:30:24 am »

Janssen vaccine is delayed and not expected until the end of April. AZ row intensifies
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: March 24, 2021, 03:51:36 am »

WHO warns that due to the focus on corona, neglected medical care and diagnosis is leading to tuberculosis spreading under the radar.
They warn that, even though other lockdown measures might reduce the spread of tuberculosis by about 50%, this could lead to 1.2 million extra infections and 375 thousand deaths this year in India, Kenia and Ukraine alone, and many more in the entire world.

These numbers are so large they cannot be waved away by a 'but we must fight corona'. Medical professionals urge the world to drop the single focus on corona and resume regular care and diagnosis.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:55:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: March 24, 2021, 03:55:11 am »

Yeah, would be nice but not gonna happen 🤕. I predict healthcare systems will be busted for years with the stress and the backlog caused by corona, even if it ends in 2021 (emphasis on the "if" the way things are going).

Regardless of public healthcare wherever you live, I think it'd probably be a good idea to consider private insurance if you can afford it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: March 24, 2021, 04:10:00 am »

Many practitioners have returned to their normal(ish) routines, after they (being healthcare workers, and thus fast-tracked) have gotten vaccinated.

They just have to practice fastidious hygiene and entry screening processes to keep from being a spread vector.

I am thankful, because I am finally getting some dental care done I needed done LAST GODDAMN YEAR.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: March 24, 2021, 04:15:05 am »

You are lucky enough to live in a country that has at least some healthcare capacity to resume normal duties. Most countries were tuberculosis is a big problem don't have that. Their doctors that aren't busy on corona ICUs are busy helping dig mass graves.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: March 24, 2021, 06:20:22 am »

I donīt believe for a moment that the hospitals anywhere in the western world are back to normal.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: March 24, 2021, 07:09:55 pm »

The one where my mother works (Torrance, California) basically is. They shut down their COVID 'pods' because they were getting zero COVID positive patients. Still distancing and mask requirements, though.

I assume people in the area who would require a hospital visit from COVID are mostly vaccinated or already dead.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:22:25 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: March 24, 2021, 08:40:25 pm »

It probably isn't. Its not just the covid. Its also the backlog and its consequences, the lack of resources, and the exahution. I dont think western healthcare systems will be back to normal for 2-3 years, at least. This is an optimistic forecast: a notable oncologist I know estimates we'll be seeing consequences for the next ten years.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: March 24, 2021, 08:44:12 pm »

I hear that about 25% of classroom teachers in the US quit last year. There's going to be massive repercussions in education as well that people haven't spent two minutes thinking about.

Among the adults, I mean. People talk about the kids' needs all the damn time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: March 25, 2021, 03:33:56 am »

Formation of a new government has been postponed over here, because the person that is supposed to be leading the exploratory talks now has corona.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: March 25, 2021, 05:52:36 am »

Trying to be like your big brother Belgium eh?
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: March 25, 2021, 06:01:01 am »

That will require some more effort. Belgian governments are usually only formed one or two weeks before their next elections, we just had elections last week.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: March 25, 2021, 12:50:34 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:06:07 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: March 27, 2021, 08:01:50 am »

Slightly old, but positive news.
Last week, Tanzania's president, Magufuli died. Official government sources say he died of heart failure, but everyone else, from opposition to the foreign doctors that treated him say he died of corona.

Let this be an example to other world leaders that think denying covid is a thing, and taking no measures is a good idea.

Tanzania was a sad example of what happens when you have a someone like Bolsonaro, or Trump, or Baudet in charge of a nation, but without any opposition. Let's hope the Tanzanian former vice-, now president takes corona more seriously.

EDIT: or well yeah, positive is maybe not the right word to describe it. Poetic justice, I guess. The guy did improve the economy and wellbeing of his country quite a bit, until the power drove him mad and he turned full dictator.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:20:10 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 459