Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477903 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-20 Edition
« Reply #4740 on: December 29, 2020, 09:46:44 pm »

So after my last brush with the plague (that never really went anywhere, no symptoms for me or any of my immediate family) a month or so back, another encounter appears. Friend and his wife tested positive after a fever yesterday, and we kinda hung out multiple times over the past week so highly likely that if they were infectious I would've caught it. Then again, it's just as possible I've been asymptomatic last time and am worrying about nothing again :V

Tho I have half a mind to just go and get tested if possible and put the whole thing to rest, even if it'd be temporary.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: December 29, 2020, 10:08:06 pm »

You Almost Wouldn't Know It's Food.

My favorite off-brand not-butter spread.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: December 30, 2020, 12:00:35 am »

You Almost Wouldn't Know It's Food.

My favorite off-brand not-butter spread.

As far as dairy products go, I'd say its about as good as It's-Definitely-Not-Cheese processed noncheese cheese slices.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: December 30, 2020, 01:03:03 am »

China is reporting more frequent cases - 5 in the Beijing area which were homegrown. Just in time for Spring Festival in 6 weeks. B)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: December 30, 2020, 08:16:42 am »

I keep dreaming that I got that fucking virus last nigth, without smeel or taste. I woke up too many times to smell a piece of soap in the bathroom like an idiot....
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: December 30, 2020, 03:56:53 pm »

My store is instituting a policy of temperature checks at the door for employees coming in to start their shifts. If you read a 100.4°F or higher, you're sent home for a 10-day quarantine unless you can produce a negative test in that time. Other stores in other regions have done it, and this seems to just be an expansion of that policy. According to my manager, those stores only sent home about one or two employees since October.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: December 30, 2020, 04:13:04 pm »

UK's cases per day is getting crazy. also I found this tracker that has useful visualisations of all the info. as wales calms down, it's NI's turn to skyrocket >_>

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: December 30, 2020, 04:52:26 pm »

My store is instituting a policy of temperature checks at the door for employees coming in to start their shifts. If you read a 100.4°F or higher, you're sent home for a 10-day quarantine unless you can produce a negative test in that time. Other stores in other regions have done it, and this seems to just be an expansion of that policy. According to my manager, those stores only sent home about one or two employees since October.
Here almost every respectable place is doing that, have people at the door with some infrared thermometer and hand sanitizer. If you have fever they refuse you entry, at least for costumers.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: December 30, 2020, 04:56:43 pm »

Here almost every respectable place is doing that, have people at the door with some infrared thermometer and hand sanitizer. If you have fever they refuse you entry, at least for costumers.

I'd refuse costumers too, what do they even think they're doing, getting all dressed up? Do they think I won't recognize them?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: December 30, 2020, 05:30:57 pm »

I'd refuse costumers too, what do they even think they're doing, getting all dressed up? Do they think I won't recognize them?
Customers I meant... hahahaha....

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: December 31, 2020, 08:10:20 am »

Oh hey, news reporting a second fellow infected with the UK varient has been found! In SoCal. With no travel history of note. On top of a second case in Colorado (I think?), also without travel.

So, y'know. Community transfer, shit's loose across state borders, healthcare system already on the verge of functional collapse in places, about to get even worse. Fuck.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: December 31, 2020, 09:56:14 am »

I really want to say that a travelling person isn't a different species to a non-travelling one...

If the former can catch it in the place they were, then its trivial that the latter can recatch it in the place they go.  It's just as bad if you only happen to discover a courier case as when you only happen to discover someone plainly couriered to[1], either way, there's going to be a good chance there's a whole undiscovered dendritic chain of cases around the one (or two) you find.

I think the take-home is that these two (or however many are now in the process of being identified, consequently or coincidentally) are just the tip of an inevitable iceberg that you couldn't have avoided without doing all kinds of things that it looks like were never going to happen under the various leaderships you have had, across various tiers of government. (Not that I can claim our arrangement smells of disinfected roses.)

[1] With the obvious exception of a visitor/returnee going straight into isolation and testing (sweeping or symptom-driven) later identifies them as courier/carrier before they get a chance to infect new contacts (and didn't do so to fellow passengers).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: January 01, 2021, 11:37:17 pm »

"Vaccines are totally not effective! So to show it I'll completely mess them up so that they don't work!"
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-21 Edition
« Reply #4754 on: January 02, 2021, 03:05:43 am »

OK, this is just a meme, but it's pretty good...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 459