Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478022 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-20 Edition
« Reply #4710 on: December 22, 2020, 07:38:44 am »

Our government has ordered the hospitals to scale down and cancel regular care. Only emergencies can be treated.
Our ICUs are only half full, but, despite pretty extensive lockdown measures, the number of infections is still rising, and more and more corona patients are admitted to the hospitals.
The shortage to be hit soon is not in ICU capacity, but in medical staff capacity. More and more medical professionals are on sick leave, they are becoming burned out from a year of corona care (or caught corona themselves).

It's worrisome though that despite severe lockdown, the R number isn't going down.  Last week, we had 70000 new cases detected (most of those didn't need hospital but still).

This is so different from our first wave and first lockdown, when we got down from 1100 to 0 patients on ICU in about 5 weeks.
And I don't really understand what's so different now. Our current lockdown is more extensive. During our first lockdown, we didn't even wear masks or close retail stores...

Our schools and universities are closed, all public places are closed, all non-essential stores are closed, coming together with more than 2 people is forbidden, facemasks are mandatory (but if anything, since they are made mandatory by law, infection rates are going back up. It looks like facemasks have a pretty big net negative influence on virus spread. R was going down until facemasks became mandatory. Perhaps because people stopped washing hands and being generally more careless when wearing a mask, thinking it is enough protection).

My best guess is that the autumn and winter seasons are really a better habitat for the virus.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:40:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: December 22, 2020, 11:44:54 am »

My guess is that the Lockdown One era was still benefitting from it mostly only being sparse hotspots of discovered/undiscovered infection, so lockdown-beating leakage was from just a small wavefront of hotspot edges where it wasn't sufficiently locked-down either by legislation or adherence to legislation.

But once we unlockedup somewhat and got back into a situation of free(er)-association the potential rolling waves picked up steam and found inroads into far more 'mutually isolated' groupings so that by this point of Lockdown Two it has have inculcated much more forward-edge.

(Imagine a circle. Double the area, you only √2 the circumference. Let the original circle spawn a new circle of the original size you double both and the potential rate is more per current incidence. Or else consider it a fractal surface, where the 'crinkles' at the resolution of the smallest unit of infection are more significant.)

Also, "Survivor Fallacy". The number of people who never saw how lucky they were before ("We locked down, but I didn't catch anything, nor did anybody I know, so we only[sic] had the pain of Lockdown") so are less likely to strictly adhere to various precautions (mandated or suggested) afterwards.

'Luckily', this won't go on forever. With no other changes (including vaccination, which is an additional and far more preferable limitation) eventually the cycle of increasing spottiness/crinkliness makes it less "much more infective edge in proportion" as the inspected spots properly link up and it becomes "much less infective edge in proportion" as the remaining intersticial unininfected spots shrink in size and quantity. Or topologically grow your fractalesque-crinkles around the sphere of humanity, at some point it'll have around half the area under its influence and any advance reduces the potential rate of gain on the boundless but finite area surface.

Vaccines of course spot similar (but not naturally spreading[1]) polkadots of areas-of-denial for the virus (hopefully) with all the gain of no longer being newly infectible, as per those already touched by the Real Thing™ (hopefully!) without the pain of the actual death/other life-limiting effects.

[1] Until someone designs a "just-live-enough" virus to spread itself but only induce protective responses against both it and the original, without the harm. Well, that's been done with computer viruses; worms that used the self-same code exploit to get into systems vulnerable to another extant worm and auto-patching the vulnerability away (and sometimes disabling the original infection/results if it found it already visited), but even that tended to be highly problematic and I've never seen it been done without sparking further problems. ((Heck, even non-viral 'official system updates' automatically rolled out by the vendor to deal with a newly discovered vector has caused problems to people from stopping legitimate co-software working, without notice, to totally bricking devices.)) I am fairly sure no biologist with any integrity at all would currently think it's a good idea to release an actual biological "anti-virus virus" into the wild.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: December 22, 2020, 12:09:53 pm »

And I don't really understand what's so different now.

Probably it's that new much easily transmissable strain that Westminster shat a brick over. Apparently it's been known since September, yet they only started lockdown because of it a few days ago :o

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: December 22, 2020, 12:29:55 pm »

And I don't really understand what's so different now.

Probably it's that new much easily transmissable strain that Westminster shat a brick over. Apparently it's been known since September, yet they only started lockdown because of it a few days ago :o

My hunch is that those in power rolled with the assumption that existing protocols would act to contain it, ignoring the notions that...

a) It is more transmissible.

b) The existing protocols were not working.

Thats what you get though when a nation of morons elects a moron.
This is a blank sig.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: December 22, 2020, 12:51:39 pm »

Lots of wishful thinking, willful ignorance, and inaction.  Some of the themes of the year.

And the whole of China is still sitting pretty with low double digit infections per day.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: December 22, 2020, 01:54:54 pm »

Well, it's officially worldwide.

36 cases discovered at the Bernardo O'Higgins (yes, really!) research base in Antarctica, probably via resupply ships.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: December 22, 2020, 02:55:04 pm »

Its now literally following the exact playbook for winning Plague Inc - dump all points into transmission while trying not to become too deadly. We all know what comes next.
This is a blank sig.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: December 23, 2020, 06:47:45 am »

Winning play is to infect the animals inheriting the world and not kill them in the process.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: December 23, 2020, 06:58:12 am »

I thought the winning play was to kill everything, and leave the planet a barren lifeless ball of dirt.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: December 23, 2020, 07:14:22 am »

A curious game. The only winning move is to crack the planet open.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: December 23, 2020, 07:35:40 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:14:58 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: December 23, 2020, 11:22:10 pm »

Easy paint vaccine red, make vaccine go vroom, praaagh tip: add squiggle with syringe make extra Rfuson. We need smash drivyboys and fly'yboys then gork and mork pleased and shaman invoke strength.

I didn't think I acquired a concussion lately but now I'm not so sure
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: December 24, 2020, 12:01:47 am »

is no concussion, only waaagh

Though I guess orkz showing up would be one way to top covid in the last week or so of 2020. It'd also explain the functional plague worship we've seen out of a lot of folks; turns out it actually was nurgle and not just nergal getting some new traction in the new millennium! It wouldn't be reassuring at all but at least it'd make more sense :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: December 25, 2020, 07:56:31 am »

The mutated UK variant has reached as far as Japan. 5 Japanese travellers who returned from the UK were tested positive.
The Japanese government says it hopes to contain the spread of this more contagious variant through extensive contact research and quarantaine.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: December 25, 2020, 08:14:46 am »

It's probably a useful metric to test the systems every country should have organised by now, even if they totally messed it up the first time round... And get a handle on what social vectors are active but can't be identified in the swamp of the current wash of older versions.

(And get ready for the variant that develops itself in direct competition to the initial vaccines. The UK/ZA ones are just more spready, no reason yet to believe they look different to a pre-trained immune system by pure chance.)
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 459