Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478399 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...a member of Reignite Democracy Australia.
"Set fire to Democracy".

Well, that's what they want...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

3000 people in Sweden has gotten false positive results for Corona due to faulty tests, says Swedish Folk Health Institute
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

In Lima, Peru, 13 people died in a human stampede after cops arrived at a nightclub which was illegally still open during pandemic lockdown. What a crazy world we live in...

Iirc it's largely not worth the effort. There's reclaimable material in most electronics, but not much (barring the plastic, I guess, but that's cheap and difficult to resell), and it's often awkward to extract and process into something reusable. Most people would be spending their time better, cost wise, just working a job (or at least some other money making activity) and either buying a replacement or buying the desired materials directly. Possible but economically inefficient, basically.

Out here in China (depending on where you live), it's not uncommon to see old-timers smashing electronics with hammers. Since wages for the elderly are pretty low, and these are just electronics people have tossed in the trash, it's financially effective for them to break apart electronics, separate the parts out and ship them off for further recycling.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Out here in China (depending on where you live), it's not uncommon to see old-timers smashing electronics with hammers. Since wages for the elderly are pretty low, and these are just electronics people have tossed in the trash, it's financially effective for them to break apart electronics, separate the parts out and ship them off for further recycling.

They usually lounge under tree shade on a tricycle during the day. You can call them and they will come to your home and get the old fridge away. They pile their loot under the tree... Sometimes they also provide info to local thieves.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Sometimes they also provide info to local thieves.

This is 100% not surprising.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes they also provide info to local thieves.

This is 100% not surprising.

Earlier this year when the quarantine was still enforced and before the neighborhood(xiaoqu) checkpoints were set up, I encountered a man when I went to dump the garbage. He tried to get into the building but didn't know the password of the gate. Then he saw me and pretended to be pressing the door ring to his home. Then he said nobody's home. But I clearly saw him press some random number which was not any real apartment number. He followed in when I got in. When the elevator arrived, he managed to back into the elevator while pretending to be looking around. Combined with wearing a mask, it would be difficult to see his face clearly in the camera footage. Then I talked to him and he got uneasy. I pressed the button of the level below my home and got off and walked home through stairs.

If he was really a thief, he must have tried to find empty apartments to get into as many people were stranded in other cities and couldn't get back in any forseeable future at that time.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

My state reported 761 new cases today.  However, a full 400 of those cases were attributed to being cases with symptom onset or sample collection date before August 1.  That is, the cumulative count as of August 1 is 400 higher today, than it was yesterday.

Astonishing lag in data collection.  (And yes, I know I've commented on it before...)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile

I think we have an economics thread, though not a data abuse thread

This thread is both.  ;)

Talking about the vagueries of data collection in the US:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention changed its COVID-19 testing guidelines this week to exclude people without symptoms of coronavirus, even if they’ve recently been in contact with infected individuals. Studies, meanwhile, find nearly half of infections are from asymptomatic transmissions."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-fauci-says-he-was-under-anesthesia-when-cdc-changed-covid-19-testing-guidelines?ref=home?ref=home
(Ignore the clickbait title, the article itself is reasonable.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

What does the CDC think they will gain by excluding potential vectors?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

My guess is they're running out of reagents. There are rumors it's happening elsewhere too.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...especially bad for if it seems like children can be very unaffected but simultaneously very contagion-producing, as asymptomatic super-spreaders, under certain conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My guess is the administration wants to shove their head further into their own ass, in order to pretend that everything is fine, just long enough till the elections.

But incubation time before someone becomes a spreader is about 5 days, not 2-3 months.  Is not a well thought out plan.

EDIT: The CDC is still part of the Murrican gov't and subject to the pressure of the political whims of those above them.  Even if it has tried to resist that influence, there is only so much they could do when they could just as easily be replaced by yes men in lab coats.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 12:31:08 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are unconfirmed anonymous reports from within that it was a political decision. But the post facto explanation makes some amount of sense.

They're saying testing immediately after exposure sometimes does not have enough virus to test positive even though days or weeks later they might become positive from that exposure. A negative test after exposure will give people a false sense of safety and cause more spread.

The proper response though would be to give people a time frame to get properly tested rather than just say don't test though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Sounds like a phony excuse tbh. I mean it's highly doubtful most contacts will get traced on the day of exposure. More likely it will happen several days afterwards
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Oh hey, two more people with symptoms at work. Mere days after the first two had to take sick leave. Except these fuckheads decided to come to work despite that. One did go home after some five hours once his fever got worse tho.

God I love working with imbeciles.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 459