Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477681 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3795 on: July 27, 2020, 09:35:21 am »

I'll forever be mad that he didn't take the perfectly good opportunity to kick the bucket there.

Now all we have is this photo:
In a time before time, I had a name.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: July 27, 2020, 10:30:37 am »

No worries citizens, there is always round two and if ‘god wills it’, round three to infinity.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: July 27, 2020, 03:53:38 pm »

I guess maybe if there was one thing I would like to see from governments it is this: instead of printing dollars, simply freeze all accounts. No bills due, no payments required. You don't get paid, but you also have no bills.  Start from that premise, then figure out how to still provide health care, emergency services, agriculture and shipping so we can still have clean water, electricity, food, and health care without having to have people get paychecks.

There's got to be a way to make that work....

Wouldn't that require kinda-sorta nationalizing all sorts of industries and services, at least temporarily? Not that I'm necessarily against that as an emergency measure, I just think it'd be really darn difficult to do effectively. Especially in the current culture and government (and I mean that broader than just this presidential term).

The funny money approach is terribly inefficient and potentially has long term side effects, but in an 'all this poo just hit the fan' situation is probably more readily deployable and acceptable to folks. Of course, we ended up screwing this up in all sorts of ways too.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You then have to find people willing to do all that gruntwork without getting paid, while the rest of the population is effectively confined to house detention since everything except those services is closed down due to nobody being able to do a transaction. Sure, it'd be do-able, but only at gunpoint. If you just "freeze bank accounts", people will set up alternate ways of doing financial transactions, so it's not enforceable.

The real problem is that just providing those skeleton services wouldn't usually require a huge number of people, because of increases in productivity, but most of the things people actually do are value-adding that's not that bare-bones minimum needed to survive. If there were no paychecks or bills or ways to provide a service and be paid for your effort, everyone would drop to putting in the literal minimum of effort, and overall the economy would collapse down to a rump of just surviving. For a start, all creative endeavors that require a lot of people such as TV shows would stop production unless the government came in and commandeered them and commanded them to keep making the shows. I'd normally say they'd switch to a taxation based model to pay for the shows to be made, but in this case that wouldn't be viable because they couldn't even pay the people who work for the government any more. So, they'd have to basically conscript people to work in TV production and you'd get standard rations while you did so, not remunerated based on how many hours you actually did your job. You could still get Youtube, however since there won't be an advertisements or other economic support for youtube channels, even that would collapse back to levels of quality circa 2008.

And then you'd be in the situation of the government decided which shows are needed and which shows are not, the same way they're deciding everyone only gets raw apples and bags of flour. because making and providing apple pies is a waste of the scant resources.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:22:11 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My first thoughts on reading that modest proposal was that almost certainly those who say affordable healthcare is Stalinist-Marxism probably would consider that as proof that their whole freakin' world was moving far, far far to the Leeeeeefffffffftttt...

Can't say I'd disagree with that. A veritable Force Majure by an expanding government power-grab. Anybody who considers me left-wing[1] might be surprised by me shying away from a game of Musical Chairs where, when the music stops, the pianist stands up and himself directs things so everyone gets at least one bumcheek on every seat still remaining.

If this is the solution, the problem is indeed dire. I'm a safety-net supporter, I suppose, rather than a seine-net one.

[1] Having known people who are themselves somewhat to the right of Ghenghiz Kahn, that's a given.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: July 27, 2020, 05:48:42 pm »

For example Bolsonaro got infected, but didn't die, so to his supporters, this justifies Bolsonaro's claim that Coronavirus isn't a problem. Now, consider if he had died, they could just have concocted conspiracy theories that he had been murdered somehow, poisoned by the 5th column "doctors" as part of their 'Scamdemic' directed against Trump and Bolsonaro.
Solution: murder Bolsonaro, make a facebook post that claims he was killed by corona, make sure that facebook post has more likes than those made by Bolsonaro groupies, because a facebook post with the most likes is the TRUTH

EDIT: in other news, worrisome:  German doctors discovered that 1/3d of recovered corona patients have scar tissue on their heart muscle.What's more worrisome, a large portion of those were relatively young (age 45-53), didn't even get severe respiratory problems and weren't even admitted to hospital.  So, apparently, even if you did get corona but didn't get really sick from it, you can still be a heart patient for the rest of your life.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/nieuw-onderzoek-bewijst-herstelde-coronapatienten-hebben-vaak-littekens-op-hun-hart~b62d1c45/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:53:38 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

How do they know that scar tissue wasn't there before Coronavirus?  Is it possible to get an age of the scar tissue?

I mean I know I don't have an existing heart scan to know if I have scar tissue from some random cause, that might just be found now because people are looking at everything with high-powered microscopes.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

If so, they'd find a matching frequency of scar tissue in the control group. Presumably they did not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

I mean, hopefully they used a control group, but I didn't see any mention of one in the article...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Just had an epiphany while in the bathroom.

What if the coronavirus is just an email spambot rigged into controlling a printer that is using paper from the Death Note?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Covid discussion.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:48:13 pm by Iduno »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, hopefully they used a control group, but I didn't see any mention of one in the article...

You don't need a control group in a situation like this, you just compare it to known population data.

I mean ... these are men 45-53 who have coronavirus. It's not hard to get data about men 45-53 who don't have coronavirus, just look at literally any data on heart disease prevalence published before a few months ago and you have untainted data that can't possibly be conflated with people who have coronavirus.

After all, any control group you form to test the hypothesis would merely be men of that age who don't have coronavirus, so you may as well just look up those numbers from 2019 or earlier rather than bothering to make a group.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:44:08 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

Ah, but what if the universal constants of physics have changed slightly since last year and made heart disease more likely? Should use current data just to be safe!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually I thought about why asking for a control group isn't actually relevant in this situation at all.

Say you select a "control group" of people who didn't get the virus and find they have less scarring. Well, this could mean that the coronavirus causes the scarring, or the scarring causes you to be more likely catch the virus, or a third factor causes both. It doesn't actually answer the question. The problem here is that you haven't isolated the variables after all so the control group is meaningless.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

Well, clearly what needs to be done is take people who we know have healthy hearts, then intentionally infect them with plague and give them a scan after!
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 459