Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477918 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3390 on: June 26, 2020, 03:36:09 am »

Visual snow? No. I found it on a random article like I said. "Huh, so this is not normal?"

The reason for the glasses mentioned elsewhere is a mild astigmatism. Which I didnt know I had either but its a bigger problem. I can see without glasses but I squint nonstop and get headches
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: June 26, 2020, 03:46:32 am »

I have pronounced astigmatism--

Trust me, I see the whole "refracted double image" shit, WITH A SINGLE EYE. :P

If it were not for "US Healthcare is unholy expensive for elective procedures" bullshit, I would have gone in for corrective surgery ages ago.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: June 26, 2020, 04:23:56 am »

By rhe by my newly diagnosed astigmatism is a separate issue. Until 3 days ago I thought I had perfect vision. It's fairly mild... I did get the flaring on ligjtposts at night and found it annoying (I remember rhinking this 15 years ago)... but I didnt think twice about it because my vision is fairly decent. I only got it checked because I went to buy computer glasses and the optometrist suggested checking it, and it's undeniable my eyesight is more nitid with glasses than without. Not "oh sh*t I forgot my glasses at home I can't see/drive", mind you. Best analogy I can think: like when you switch to a lower resolution in a game... you can still see and play but stuff looks worse. And you notice it more after having tried the higher res.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: June 26, 2020, 04:45:59 am »

I have extremely good vision (200%), measured in retina receptor density (for comparison, average human has 100%, an eagle has 600%), but if I don't wear my glasses I only see a blur.
I know when I have the right strenght glasses when I can read license plates at over 100m distance again.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: June 26, 2020, 04:57:06 am »

Well, both of my experiences with an infection bad enough to make me hallucinate were after I had tried LSD, and parts of the pain induced ones resembled stuff LSD did, similarly getting really baked on a cloudy day could consistently turn this weird backwards C shaped sort of region into a shimmering gray rainbow of static.

Acid never made the really indelible sort of images I got from pain though: black and white pulsing shapes like a + sign viewed through a fish-eye lens up close, tall as everything, wide as anything, sometimes they'd have a greenish kinda tinge where the rainbowed edge blur got close to the really sharp boundaries of the + signs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: June 26, 2020, 05:02:11 am »

*shrug* visual snow is not something that shows up in textbooks. And in my case its not that severe a distortion, more as if I had a layer of TV static blended into my usual sight.

My baseline assumption was that everyone saw like that, that just like a screen can look "dotted" by pixels if you look closely, maybe the same happened with the eye and photoreceptors.

I've had something like this for as long as I can remember. Never bothered me, though, and most of the time I don't even notice it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: June 26, 2020, 05:03:29 am »

Visual snow? No. I found it on a random article like I said. "Huh, so this is not normal?"

Then I want it GONE from my eyes! Operate me, doctor!
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: June 26, 2020, 07:06:10 am »

Unfortunately (well, for people it actually bothers, anyway), there's, like... basically no research on the issue. Far as I'm aware doctors don't actually have any idea how to reliably make it stop, short of euthanasia.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:07:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: June 26, 2020, 07:13:53 am »

It is possible that your issue is one with your retina, and not in your brain.  But, I would have a proper neurologist explore that, if it is a cause of concern for you.
Yeh, from what I recall folks have straight up gone blind/lost their eyes outright but not lost the snow effect. To the extent we're sure about anything involving visual snow (not super much, to be fair -- just to repeat there's very little on the subject and I've had actual optometrists go "what?" when I've asked them about the issue), it's that at minimum some/most of incidences of it is due to something involving the brain rather than the structure of the eye itself.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: June 26, 2020, 10:42:30 am »

I have pronounced astigmatism--
ASS-TIG-MA-TIZZUM

And now, so have I.

(Seriously, though, I need glasses, but only for focal reasons.)

Visually, I have no idea if what I see is what you are seeing. Visual artefacts are, so far as I can tell, an inbuilt result of the processing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those that aren't physical issues (my mother had cateracts, and when the optician reopens I'm overdue to check I'm still only extremely myopic, myself). I'm sure with a full mindswap, it'd be interesting to compare the sensory differences ("That old pain? I've had it so long I had no idea it's actually now intolerable to someone else...") but, aside from the philosophical discussion of how far from core to peripheral nerve system this switcheroo takes place over (thus potentially importing/exiling the very differences the displaced mind is expected to cross-compare), it's not actually possible right now[Citation needed].

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: June 26, 2020, 02:50:15 pm »

I believe some portions of this article's points have already been aired in this thread, but sharing just in case. (Reuters, so I don't think there's a paywall.)

“We thought this was only a respiratory virus. Turns out, it goes after the pancreas. It goes after the heart. It goes after the liver, the brain, the kidney and other organs. We didn’t appreciate that in the beginning,” said Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla, California.

In addition to respiratory distress, patients with COVID-19 can experience blood clotting disorders that can lead to strokes, and extreme inflammation that attacks multiple organ systems. The virus can also cause neurological complications that range from headache, dizziness and loss of taste or smell to seizures and confusion.

. . . .

Studies are just getting underway to understand the long-term effects of infection, Jay Butler, deputy director of infectious diseases at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters in a telephone briefing on Thursday.

“We hear anecdotal reports of people who have persistent fatigue, shortness of breath,” Butler said. “How long that will last is hard to say.”

While coronavirus symptoms typically resolve in two or three weeks, an estimated 1 in 10 experience prolonged symptoms, Dr. Helen Salisbury of the University of Oxford wrote in the British Medical Journal on Tuesday.

. . . .

Dr. Igor Koralnik, chief of neuro-infectious diseases at Northwestern Medicine, reviewed current scientific literature and found about half of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 had neurological complications, such as dizziness, decreased alertness, difficulty concentrating, disorders of smell and taste, seizures, strokes, weakness and muscle pain.

So still a topic for further research, but certainly concerning.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3401 on: June 27, 2020, 09:55:20 am »

Hey Murricans you ok?

Numbers going up, but y tho

It's also not uniform. Some US states are doing better, others doing worse

So far, the US has recorded about 125,000 coronavirus deaths - the highest death toll in the world.

But one forecasting model run by experts at the University of Washington, says the US is on course to hit 180,000 by October - a month before the election.
Loadsa unnecessary death

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: June 27, 2020, 10:53:53 am »

Those deaths are on Trump.
I really hope that he is held accountable once his presidency is over and rots in some jail for the remainder of his miserable life.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: June 27, 2020, 11:21:56 am »

Will you blame the inevitable future deaths on BLM?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: June 27, 2020, 11:26:45 am »

BLM isn't blabbering bullshit about the virus being a hoax and drinking bleach

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 459