Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477482 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #3135 on: May 16, 2020, 01:44:59 pm »

Here's another lesson:  ;)

Don't take a generalization like a characteristic associated with a generation personally.

EDIT:  I think (Hope?) most of here talk in general philosophical stances - not aimed at any one person.  Maybe I need to try harder to make that clear?  I know I have a problem with tone...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:47:36 pm by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: May 16, 2020, 09:20:25 pm »

Have you ever thought that the stereotypes of Texans all being dumb redneck hicks are unfair? Because I've lived here ~7 years, and they seem accurate to me.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1261529343274233856

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: May 17, 2020, 12:19:30 am »

Just to clarify: I wasn't talking about kicking individuals in the nuts, I was talking about kicking the framework of late stage capitalism and our american prosperity gospel bullshit infected version of it in the nuts.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: May 17, 2020, 08:56:56 am »

...asking for a better tomorrow instead of leveling for the same broken tomorrow and lies of a more successful future. But just go back to work, put your back into it, that'll stop the impending depression.

Maybe that's the 'risking one's own neck' thing you were referring to before, but risking coronavirus to pay the rent or risking eviction to keep people safer, clearly each has a risk and a cost.

Yes, that's close to what I was getting at - don't merely ask someone else to fix it (and complain when it's not fixed in the desired way) - be a part of the work to fix it.  I guess maybe I got too long winded and lost that point.  And yes, there are risks/costs associated with that.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: May 17, 2020, 12:07:04 pm »

Ok I think I understand better what you mean now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: May 17, 2020, 12:18:44 pm »

Its not an economic hunger strike FFS. Its a quarantine because if people go to work during a pandemic peak lots of people are going to die. And if you go back without protection you'll get another peak.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: May 17, 2020, 07:51:03 pm »

Back to work since yesterday. I'd rather not, but I've only got so much unemployment left, and this could open me up for some opportunities, mainly bc I've saved up most of my unemployment (that I didn't spend on quarantine aids).

I live in Georgia (famous for it's spineless governor Kemp), and shit is going to get reeeeally sketchy around here with the state "opening up." I'm trying to move closer to Atlanta at the moment - I live in bumfuck Egypt - so I can have an easier time finding work without getting too far from my current job. I can't really stay where I'm at, both because I'm awfully fucking tired of my parents, and because my mom is high risk and I don't want to end up infecting her bc I'm working in a restaraunt.

Anyway, how's everybody holding up?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: May 17, 2020, 09:49:13 pm »

Work from home order keeps getting pushed back for me, and thankfully I'm in a position where working from home 100% of the time is feasible, since I'm a web developer.  I live in SC, which joined the bandwagon of opening everything back up, but the company I work for is headquartered in California, so the company as a whole has been more cautious.  I'm thankful for that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: May 18, 2020, 04:43:20 am »

Starting june 1st, facemask will be mandatory in public transit...
However...
Only non-medical grade facemasks are allowed.
If you are caught wearing a medical grade facemask, you will be fined.
Medical grade facemasks are exclusively reserved for healthcare staff.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:53:05 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: May 18, 2020, 04:48:02 am »

I'm getting a real Game of Thrones vibe from the way the US is handling the pandemic.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: May 18, 2020, 06:45:11 am »

Only non-medical grade facemasks are allowed.
If you are caught wearing a medical grade facemask, you will be fined.
Medical grade facemasks are exclusively reserved for healthcare staff.
I've been trying to get that POV onto a few phone-ins/letters pages, myself.

As well as the discarded latex gloves blowing around the supermarket carparks/elsewhere, when you see something that might be an N95, discarded just as casually after probably half an hour's use (and self-protection, probabl, rather 5han hedging bets to protect others) it makes me wonder.

I've been experimenting with (not actually compulsary, locally, but vaguely advised in some circumstances) face-coverings myself[1], but most seem to fog my glasses up. Which doesn't mean they aren't effective (for the duration), but makes my choice lean towards being situationally aware rather than (as others do) wearing a bit of random cloth then barging through everyone else's extended personal space with nothing but oblivion in mind.

[1] For the type you use a T-shirt for, plus extra close-woven material, I've got an old SOPHOS Antivirus one from a turn-of-the-millenium computer security trade show, and I can make the breast-logo a prominent feature when folded just right... ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:47:02 am by Starver »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: May 18, 2020, 07:20:08 am »

They say putting a strip of tissue/toilet paper (something absorbent, basically) at the top of your whatever can prevent the fogging, for what it's worth. I still haven't actually tried it, but it's on the list of things to try whenever my workplace opens back up to the public.

But yeah, I'm now doing the mask thing when I go into stores, and will be at work when we open our doors back up. Most of it isn't even the protection, it's the look, for lack of a better word. One of the important things to be doing if you're in any sort of official capacity (i.e. working at a gov't ran job) -- or just in general if you want to be doing at least some minor contribution to making things less bad -- is to be walking the walk when it comes to behavior. If you or the organization you're working for are telling people -- look, wear masks folks -- then you need to be wearing a mask if you're ever visible to the general public. If it's distancing, you need to be seen distancing. If it's not doing non-essential shit, you need to not be showing up at the hairdresser or gym.

If it's just a good fucking idea to be doing those things and it's not any sort of specific policy for something you're working with -- do those things. Even if it's not specifically vital for you in particular, because it helps send and spread the message, yes, this shit is important, we should be doing it.

And that fucking matters. Because if enough yous aren't doing it, people start going, "oh, it's not that bad" and things get worse. Top level presentation matters the most on that front (one of the myriad reasons the stateside administration can go fuck itself right now, as a general thing), for sure, but every little bit helps normalize better response and that especially makes a difference if your political administration et al has largely fucking abandoned proper response :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: May 18, 2020, 07:20:56 am »

There's still a FFP shortage, I think. Or they're not so cocksure there wont be one as they used to be.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: May 18, 2020, 08:56:30 am »

I think there's still a shortage. Even when the hospitals get theirs there's a line of occupations who needs it ahead of everypeople in my mind.

I'll give everypeople in risk groups a pass.
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: May 18, 2020, 09:55:47 am »

I'm only gonna laugh a little bit, nervously, when we have massive surges in all the "usual" illnesses, because nobody's been out there socializing and has been over-sanitizing.

I've actually caught myself specifically pausing to consider not telling my kids to wash their hands after playing outside, because I want to keep their systems at least somewhat exposed to things that exercise their immune systems.

Or is this nonsense and there is no evidence for "you can get immunodeficiency if you aren't exposed to enough pathogens"?
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 459