Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477509 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2970 on: May 07, 2020, 08:33:28 am »

In Pakistan, the government has decided that despite rising numbers of infected and dead, they will have to end the lockdown.
The poor workers in Pakistan cannot survive any longer without income.
If they don't lift the lockdown, more people will die of starvation than of corona.

Yeah, a lot of "end the lockdown" policies seem to be aimed at distracting people from "maybe fix the shitty way we treat people, and the complete lack of safety nets for the poor."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: May 07, 2020, 08:36:20 am »

In Pakistan, the government has decided that despite rising numbers of infected and dead, they will have to end the lockdown.
If they don't lift the lockdown, more people will die of starvation than of corona.

Yeah, a lot of "end the lockdown" policies seem to be aimed at distracting people from "maybe fix the shitty way we treat people, and the complete lack of safety nets for the poor."
You ninjaed me. I was going to say that these claims should be taken with a pinch of salt. I find it hard to believe that Pakistan cannot afford to get funding for emergency rations for all the population when they can afford high tech weaponry for their pissing matches with India
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: May 07, 2020, 09:05:16 am »

You ninjaed me. I was going to say that these claims should be taken with a pinch of salt. I find it hard to believe that Pakistan cannot afford to get funding for emergency rations for all the population when they can afford high tech weaponry for their pissing matches with India
I would at least assume that they have significant military rations on hand to distribute. Them again, the military runs the country last time I checked, so that may have something to do with not wanting to cut into funding.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53:39 am »

I'm curious about something... With the talk of "potential re-infection" and beating COVID-19 once possibly not granting protection against a second round...

Wouldn't that be kind of groundbreaking? Is there a precedent for viral infections where the antibodies... Stop working/being produced? Supposedly this is just the one strain of coronavirus, and that it's not mutating like all fuck to manage a second infection within such a short timeframe, so it's not like cold or flu viruses bypassing the previous protection by being just different enough.

So what gives? If the body managed to fight off the original infection, surely it learned to produce targeted antibodies? And if so, those antibodies should theoretically be able to fight it off again.

I'm aware that the facts surrounding COVID-19 re-infection aren't necessarily pointing towards compromised defense, but I'm curious if there's another example of that happening with a virus.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: May 07, 2020, 11:09:56 am »

Related to effusive Italians and culture, etc.

My brother is a policeman. Hard for me to admit, considering where I'm from, but I'm guessing none of you will try to kill me for it  ;)

He says that the groupings which need to be disbanded are either the young, immigrants, or most often young immigrants. He also says that it's not pursued as effectively by the police as it should be, because they're afraid of being called racist.

Hardly an academic paper, and I would imagine largely fuelled by the observations of other policemen. But it struck me as interesting.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: May 07, 2020, 11:50:09 am »

Italian immigrants, in particular?

Mostly because if you're trying to persuade me that people in Ireland, regardless of borderside, politics, or religion orientation, are less effusive than Italians or Spaniards... well I've been on both sides of the border. With people of all kinds of politics and religious denominations 🤣.

Seriously now, I found people in both chunks of  Ireland far more effusive than in either England or Northern Spain. About par with people in Castile and Naples at the very least.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:53:15 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: May 07, 2020, 12:04:48 pm »

Wouldn't that be kind of groundbreaking? Is there a precedent for viral infections where the antibodies... Stop working/being produced?

So what gives? If the body managed to fight off the original infection, surely it learned to produce targeted antibodies? And if so, those antibodies should theoretically be able to fight it off again.
There's a mechanism called Antibody-dependant enhancement where the presence of antibodies make any subsequent infection worse.

This has been seen in Dengue fever which has been known to become Dengue Hemmoragic Fever in a number of cases

This enhancement mechanism was observed in SARS 1 vaccination tests in the past
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: May 07, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »

Italian immigrants, in particular?

Mostly because if you're trying to persuade me that people in Ireland, regardless of borderside, politics, or religion orientation, are less effusive than Italians or Spaniards... well I've been on both sides of the border. With people of all kinds of politics and religious denominations 🤣.

Seriously now, I found people in both chunks of  Ireland far more effusive than in either England or Northern Spain. About par with people in Castile and Naples at the very least.
There aren't a huge number of Italians in Northern Ireland. Portuguese, Polish, African.
And no, I would not say we are particularly effusive. I honestly don't know what gave you that impression, though I'd be interested?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: May 07, 2020, 12:25:46 pm »

And no, I would not say we are particularly effusive. I honestly don't know what gave you that impression, though I'd be interested?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: May 07, 2020, 01:21:19 pm »

Maybe when they're drunk? But I imagine that's a common denominator. Some women hug, some people shake hands, but Naples-level or greater? Phew-ee. I really want to know where you hang  :D
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: May 07, 2020, 01:46:49 pm »

I had to look effusive up

"extravagantly demonstrative"

I'm still not entirely sure
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: May 07, 2020, 01:51:52 pm »

A decent synonym is "passionate."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:15:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: May 07, 2020, 01:58:08 pm »

Maybe it's my accent. I'm told I haf a secsy acsent 🤔

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: May 07, 2020, 02:43:04 pm »

I'm curious about something... With the talk of "potential re-infection" and beating COVID-19 once possibly not granting protection against a second round...

Wouldn't that be kind of groundbreaking? Is there a precedent for viral infections where the antibodies... Stop working/being produced? Supposedly this is just the one strain of coronavirus, and that it's not mutating like all fuck to manage a second infection within such a short timeframe, so it's not like cold or flu viruses bypassing the previous protection by being just different enough.
The common cold. Flu mutates so antibodies stop working.
Common cold keeps coming back not because of mutation but because the body forgets.
Supposedly this has to do with the virus not entering the bloodstream but being restricted to the outer boundaries of the body (like for example the lungs)

So it's nothing new or groundbreaking.
What would be more scary is if this virus would share a trait with HIV, in that it can go dormant in the body and you never completely get rid of it.  So far there's no signs it does that luckily.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: May 07, 2020, 02:48:22 pm »

Common cold keeps coming back not because of mutation but because the body forgets.
Supposedly this has to do with the virus not entering the bloodstream but being restricted to the outer boundaries of the body (like for example the lungs)

So what you're saying is... we should inject it into ourselves?
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 459