Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477054 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2640 on: April 24, 2020, 04:48:18 am »

There was a leak about remdemesvir from the WHO. Rumors say it failed a controlled trial. Havenīt seen the document myself but I have a bad feeling about remdemesvir. That stuff about doing a 4000-people clinical trial (later increased to 6000) with no control cohort whatsoever, and the way they were drumming it... to me it felt a lot like a seeding trial.   
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: April 24, 2020, 10:16:16 am »

Saw a non-specific youtube ad on my phone yesterday about "OPEN."

At first I thought it was some marketing effort to try and convince business owners to reopen their businesses.

After watching it I'm not actually sure what it was about. A lot of heart string tugging about your first day of opening your business, serving clients, teaching classes.....

It finishes with "even when you're not open, be open." Something something togetherness.....

We're in a weird place where we're marketing concepts rather than products. It's like someone with a lot of money thought it was worth it creating an ad to combat Trump's insistence that states reopen businesses.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: April 24, 2020, 11:18:59 am »

So if remdesevir and hydroxychloroquine are both ineffective, then what's the next possible drug to get the big media push? Lysol injections? Giant vitamin C pills? A glowing rock in a black cardboard box that whispers when noone is watching it?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: April 24, 2020, 11:21:19 am »

Didn't you hear the news? Cigarettes and nicotine patches.

If that fails, obviously, blood sacrifice is the next course of action.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: April 24, 2020, 11:21:33 am »

So if remdesevir and hydroxychloroquine are both ineffective, then what's the next possible drug to get the big media push? Lysol injections? Giant vitamin C pills? A glowing rock in a black cardboard box that whispers when noone is watching it?
This must be. Reference to something; what is it a reference to?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:16 am »

This must be. Reference to something; what is it a reference to?
Shining Trapezohedron maybe?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: April 24, 2020, 12:20:00 pm »

I'm still waiting for the discovery of the paper-rock-scissors of diseases.  Something like "the flu kills cancer, cancer solves lead poisoning, lead kills the flu".
Wrong way round?
Hot lead kills cancer, and possibly 'flu' will kill that. Cancer vs flu is a trickier one.

There was a story recently about flu VACCINE, which appears to prime the immune system sufficiently that it can then better identify, and then target certain cancers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200107092558.htm

This is not exactly "Flu kills cancer", it is "Immune system kills cancer".  But, it is after being primed with a vaccination.

IIRC, some followup work was done with animal models suggesting that direct administration of the flu vaccine directly into lesions can produce stronger results, with greater cell-mass reductions, and stronger immune responses.

Interesting, but not exactly what was mentioned.

Actually, they discovered that by noting that people who got the actual flu while beating treated for lung cancer had better survival rates. It's only "flu vaccine" because it's unethical to deliberately infect people with the flu. But real flu does the job too. The research was to test whether safe vaccines could be used instead of active flu virus. It's also not specific to flu. It's just that flu is virulent and gets in your lungs, and lung cancer is also in your lungs, so the connection was noted.

One line of thinking is that cancers produce signals that suppress/fool the immune system to ignore it, but if it gets a shake-up which activates a lot of immune-system cells at the location, it can detect the tumor. So rather than getting a "flu shot" this works by injecting a bunch of vaccine right into the tumor itself. So cancer has chemical camouflage, but if the immune system cells get up close in high enough numbers drawn by some foreign substance the cancer can't mask, that camouflage stops working, and it triggers a full response. Exactly what you inject doesn't seem to matter too much, as long as it causes an immune system freakout.

"This medicine says it may cause lightheadedness,
dry mouth, and blurred vision, but my head feels
incredibly heavy, water is pouring from my mouth,
and I can see individual hummingbird wingbeats,
so I think I'm fine."

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:57:13 pm by Reelya »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: April 24, 2020, 11:53:35 pm »

I guess this is less ironic that the finger licking thing, but still.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:57:26 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: April 25, 2020, 01:14:34 am »

"I will secretly spread the virus to this podium! Nobody will EVER notice! Then my plan to end the GOP will be complete!"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: April 25, 2020, 02:43:49 am »

We're in a weird place where we're marketing concepts rather than products.
That's just called propaganda.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: April 25, 2020, 02:47:33 am »

Geesh, one or two more days, and more people in the US will have died from corona than than the number of US troops that died in Vietnam.

Then again, all is relative.  We need a few more weeks of this many daily dead before as many people in the US have died of corona as how many children die of hunger every week in Africa (every single day about 10000 children die of hunger)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 02:51:22 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: April 25, 2020, 02:51:52 am »

Was covid an NVA plot all along? Science searches for answers.

Funnily enough, I think there's a decent chance that covid's true patient zero was in a SE Asia country.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: April 25, 2020, 04:06:02 am »

And that's without accounting for excess mortality. As the epidemic gets worse it gets harder to track how many people actually died. But there are trackers comparing how many people died this year compared to the past.  Granted, not all of them will be covid... but given that covid's danger was always social rather than individual...   does it really matter if you died because of covid infection or because of healthcare collapse due to covid infection?

I think we'll be dealing with the casualties and sequelae of healthcare collapse for months or years

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: April 25, 2020, 04:16:14 am »

The political ruling class having to eat a big assed dish of crow as everyone dies left and right, will of course-- STILL FAIL TO UNDERSTAND that failure to properly regulate and fund healthcare is what caused this whole mess.

They will do so, because they will see the price tag for actually keeping their public SAFE AND HEALTHY, and then look at how big their e-peens could have been if they had bought cruise missiles and stealth fighters instead, and whinge like petulant children.

AND-- on top of that, "Muh FREE MARKETZ!! DON' TOUCH MUH FREE MARKETZ BRO!", as their shameless nepotism and corporate welfare for personal profit prevent them from holding a gun to the AMA and telling them "STOP FIXING SUPPLY OF DOCTORS. OPEN MORE RESIDENCY POSITIONS, AND GRADUATE AN APPROPRIATE SUPPLY, OR ELSE", because "But.. but... but.... The free market fixes EVERYTHING!!! (and my cousin makes bank in the medical middle-man industry!!)"

They will not look at this disaster, and go "You know, it is very clear that decades of regulatory capture led up to this problem, and that this problem would not have been nearly as severe had that capture not happened; The "Free Market" approach failed spectacularly with thousands of people dying *DAILY* as the cost for that failure. NEVER AGAIN-- We are fixing the regulatory agencies, and doing it NOW."   They will fail to do that, because that is what actually needs to happen, but would mean admitting that they fucked up for decades, and failed millions of people systemically for profit. No, they will never do that.  Ever.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: April 25, 2020, 04:54:03 am »

CROSSOUT EDIT: this is less accurate than I thought: Fun fact: malaria killed about half of all humans who ever lived (note huge uncertainties, estimating ancient mortality is hard - it is possible that this is lower, but malaria was and continues to be one of the most significant casuses of death).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:37:07 am by mko »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 459