Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 476190 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2580 on: April 22, 2020, 02:28:06 am »

There was no control group. This was not a trial, this was a retrospective study.

So, yeah, this study was just as flawed as the original studies supporting hydroxychloroquine were 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMO it's unlikely it's killing  28% of patients. But the last few trials suggest it's of little benefit, too
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: April 22, 2020, 02:48:02 am »

Short of a straight-up receptor site inhibitor, I cannot think of a truly good treatment for this illness.

From what I have read so far, it can do a number of very bad things in your body, and interfering with the processes that lead to those bad things happening have other, equally bad things that will happen--

For instance, one of the bad things that can happen is a cytokine storm, which is basically your immune system going batshit kookoo after mass cell death.  Under better conditions, you would want to isolate the patient and bring the immune system under control with suppressant medications--- but---

Another bad thing the virus does, is DIRECT tissue damage to alveoli-- the little sacs in your lung tissue that actually perform gas-exchange. Suppression of the immune response to mitigate the massive collateral damage of a cytokine storm would result in this infection running roughshod all over the patient's lungs, rendering them too diseased for continued function...

*IF* it existed, a receptor site blocking agent (To prevent viral adhesion, and thus slow or strongly disrupt viral infection spread in the host), along with immune suppression to sane levels, could help such patients-- but we don't have such a product yet.

The logical best treatment at large, would be wide-spread vaccination to create "hostile hosts", and thus reduce R0, coupled with receptor site blockers for acute ICU patients.   Best estimates place those at 1 year away, with heavily rushed trials that are going to be dubious, because of how rushed they are.

People do not understand what this shit is, and do not understand why this talk of re-opening the economy is just fucking madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: April 22, 2020, 05:10:43 am »

I've got a good cure for Trump, it's called deportivan. You get anyone with symptoms and send them on boats wherever, instant reduction in your fatality rate. Also really good for the boat-building industry, since none of the boats come back.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: April 22, 2020, 08:26:55 am »

People do not understand what this shit is, and do not understand why this talk of re-opening the economy is just fucking madness.
To be fair, not re-opening the economy is also madness - eventually people will go batshit from sitting around doing nothing all day, and we'll go from these media-blurb protests to something more destructive.  Idleness being the devil's playground and all that.

They key thing here is striking a balance - and unfortunately I don't think anyone knows what that point of balance is.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: April 22, 2020, 08:33:58 am »

Yes but the people who go batshit insane from being cooped up will kill each other, leaving the master-race of basement dwelling neckbeards to inherit the Earth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: April 22, 2020, 08:43:34 am »

They key thing here is striking a balance - and unfortunately I don't think anyone knows what that point of balance is.
I mean, actually we fucking know what that point is. Around a 2% positivity rate for testing and testing aggressive enough to not miss anyone, on top of stringent quarantine for infected and the means to do so without losing home or hearth, plus solid protection for workers on the job both in terms of equipment and behavior of them and any members of the public they interact with. And a smattering of other stuff.

"When is it more or less safe to open things up to economic activity" isn't fucking rocket science, it's just doing what you should be fucking doing in the face of a goddamn plague. Which is known behavior. There's just a lot of fucknuts that don't want to bloody do it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:05 am »

I mean, actually we fucking know what that point is. Around a 2% positivity rate for testing and testing aggressive enough to not miss anyone, on top of stringent quarantine for infected and the means to do so without losing home or hearth, plus solid protection for workers on the job both in terms of equipment and behavior of them and any members of the public they interact with. And a smattering of other stuff.

"When is it more or less safe to open things up to economic activity" isn't fucking rocket science, it's just doing what you should be fucking doing in the face of a goddamn plague. Which is known behavior. There's just a lot of fucknuts that don't want to bloody do it.
"But muh profits!"
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: April 22, 2020, 09:10:47 am »

The mammon humping death cultists are trying to multiclass into nurgle worshippers, yes. That's a fair amount of where it's coming from :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: April 22, 2020, 10:41:33 am »

Can you make that not sound condescending?  That tone doesn't help.

That said, while I think that is possibly a solution, it doesn't address "balance" (people want to go to work because their bored, not merely because they aren't paid).

It's also not practical at all.  I mean are you really suggesting that we forcibly incarcerate people for quarantine?  Because that's realistically the only way to do what you suggest, and I'm sorry but I just don't support that even if it would reduce the spread of the disease.  I guarantee you will see armed violence if you start to forcibly quarantine people in the US.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: April 22, 2020, 10:59:32 am »

Can you make that not sound condescending?  That tone doesn't help.

That said, while I think that is possibly a solution, it doesn't address "balance" (people want to go to work because their bored, not merely because they aren't paid).

It's also not practical at all.  I mean are you really suggesting that we forcibly incarcerate people for quarantine?  Because that's realistically the only way to do what you suggest, and I'm sorry but I just don't support that even if it would reduce the spread of the disease.  I guarantee you will see armed violence if you start to forcibly quarantine people in the US.
Yes. Thats exactly what is being suggested. And there are precedents in the US. Some of them famous. You dont really think Typhoid Mary ended up confined out of her own free will do you?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: April 22, 2020, 11:01:17 am »

Americans are already being forcibly quarantined, I'm not sure why we're acting like this is a future step. Besides, the vast majority supports the quarantine according to Pew.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: April 22, 2020, 11:10:18 am »

There are places in the US with armed guards using force to keep people in quarantine?  I guess my intentional ignorance of mainstream media is bliss.

I thought we just had the weak-sauce "if you go out we'll give you a ticket" kind of enforcement.

But yes, the majority of people are peaceable.

But if you have someone get beat, tazed, or shot because they are running around... especially if there are racial aspects, watch out...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: April 22, 2020, 11:25:44 am »

The mammon humping death cultists are trying to multiclass into nurgle worshippers, yes. That's a fair amount of where it's coming from :-\
I have no idea what you are referencing here, I remember Nurgle from the Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy, but the cultists are confusing

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: April 22, 2020, 11:34:10 am »

I remember Nurgle from the Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy
This hurts on an almost visceral level
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: April 22, 2020, 11:48:34 am »

Nurgal is an actual mythical character.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nergal

The primary reference for Nurgle (diff spelling) is from the warhammer 40k universe.
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Nurgle

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 459